Too hot to fly Legally?

Not what I meant.
I think if I trained with the same person year after year or flew check rides with the same person, any sort of rapport that develops could impact impartiality even if unintentionally.
I don’t even know how many different CFIs I’ve flown with over the years. I’m glad I had that opportunity, I learned something different from each one.

I don’t even know how many different CFIs I’ve flown with over the years. I’m glad I had that opportunity, I learned something different from each one.
I learned from at least one that I would rather not fly with them ever again.

use a different instructor for every rating
Instructors find me to be such an amazingly skilled pilot that they say things like "I can't believe that you did that" or "That was the last time I'll get in an airplane with you..." So I get to fly with different people all the time.

HAHA! I used her for IR but I have a different CFI for Commercial. I want to use a different instructor for every rating just so I get different perspectives and there is no "friend" treatment. I start Multi training Next Monday and I am using a school which should be a whole different ballgame too. Keeping myself on my toes.
Awesome! Please PM me the school you're doing the multi as I'm also interested.

I wonder how many people get their multi before IR? Bryannn did his IR before his Multi, but I wonder if people go from PPL to Multi then IR. Just thinking out loud.

I wonder how many people get their multi before IR? Bryannn did his IR before his Multi, but I wonder if people go from PPL to Multi then IR. Just thinking out loud.

I think I've done 1. Not very common, and you'd have to have a specific set of circumstances for it to make sense.

If you do you Multi first, then when you do your IR, you'll have to do at least one single-engine approach in a multi in order to not have a limitation on your certificate. So this means you either do your IR in a multi (expensive) or on checkride day, you hop over to the multi after you're done in the single (adding complexity to the checkride, and you had to train to do it anyway - expensive).

In addition, insurance for a multi non-IFR pilot will be tougher and/or more expensive to get.

One situation where it can make sense is if you are a PP-ASEL, and want to buy a multi. Or have access to a family plane, or something like that, and initial cost of insurance is not an issue. You get your PP-AMEL in it, then flow right into the IR.

Not sure why it’s relevant, but some flight schools used to do that to build multi PIC time back when you needed it for a flying job.

Not sure why it’s relevant, but some flight schools used to do that to build multi PIC time back when you needed it for a flying job.
Many, many moons ago it didn’t matter. The IR counted for multi if done in a single. No demonstration in a twin was needed.

I think I've done 1. Not very common, and you'd have to have a specific set of circumstances for it to make sense.

If you do you Multi first, then when you do your IR, you'll have to do at least one single-engine approach in a multi in order to not have a limitation on your certificate. So this means you either do your IR in a multi (expensive) or on checkride day, you hop over to the multi after you're done in the single (adding complexity to the checkride, and you had to train to do it anyway - expensive).

In addition, insurance for a multi non-IFR pilot will be tougher and/or more expensive to get.

One situation where it can make sense is if you are a PP-ASEL, and want to buy a multi. Or have access to a family plane, or something like that, and initial cost of insurance is not an issue. You get your PP-AMEL in it, then flow right into the IR.

Thanks! I figured it would be a very low number.

But many moons ago it took more than 5 hours of multi PIC to get a job.
And no truer words have ever been written….

That said, there were many years between the two.

Last edited:
When I moved to Florida, one of our neighbors cautioned me about takeoff performance in the summer. He said you have to pay attention to it because with the heat and humidity, our 20’ MSL airport often has a density altitude over 1300’, and sometimes close to 2000.
lol
I just took off at 2800' DA at our 600msl airport. 94°out here which is hot for around here.

Back