Things that get ignored

Have you ever read FAR 43-D?
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

Where does it say have his friends do--?

And 43.15

My signature and licence number in a logbook means I have performed and/or personally supervised the work to the extent necessary to ensure airworthiness.

Really? I understand if you don't prefer having "persons" assist with your annuals but that is strictly your decision, not the feds. The FSDOs have been clarifying panel/cowling removal and cleaning are considered maintenance and not inspection for over 20 years. And even encourage owners involvement. 43-D states these items are complied with "before that inspection." There are also a couple LOIs out that state the same. It is what it is.

My signature and licence number in a logbook means I have performed and/or personally supervised the work to the extent necessary to ensure airworthiness.
Wrong OH sweetpea,,,, you can not delegate any portion of any inspection.

Really? I understand if you don't prefer having "persons" assist with your annuals but that is strictly your decision, not the feds. The FSDOs have been clarifying panel/cowling removal and cleaning are considered maintenance and not inspection for over 20 years. And even encourage owners involvement. 43-D states these items are complied with "before that inspection." There are also a couple LOIs out that state the same. It is what it is.
That is not what FAR 43-D says.

That is not what FAR 43-D says.
You're too much sometimes:

"Tom-D said:
Have you ever read FAR 43-D?
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

And 43.15"
you can not delegate any portion of any inspection.
Good choice of words. You should have stopped while you were ahead. But since you insist...Sweat Pea:

"We agree that the introductory paragraph (a) of appendix D ("Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary
inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean .... "
(Emphasis added.)) could cause confusion. We view those tasks as delegable in the discretion of the IA holder who will perform the annual inspection. Key to our reasoning here is the phrase "before that inspection" in paragraph (a), which indicates that the referenced preliminary tasks are something other than the actual inspections of the items listed in the appendix."

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/data/interps/2015/amalong - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf

So back to my original comment, if you decide not to delegate those tasks during an annual inspection under your control that is strictly based on your personal opinion and not the FAAs. And that decision is well within the authorization of your IA.

Opening and closing is not inspection ...come on Tom. You can do better than that pal. ;-)

Tom doesn’t care what the FAA says. He’s smarter than everyone. He knows. If only you could recognize how little you truely understand.
simply read the FARs 43-D It says what I placed in my post..

Wrong OH sweetpea,,,, you can not delegate any portion of any inspection.

Refer to the link Bell206 provided! Lots of good information there, sweat pea.

Also, "any inspection"? I have certified many, many progressive inspections where a whole team of workers were involved in the actual work. Better call the feds! :rolleyes:

Refer to the link Bell206 provided! Lots of good information there, sweat pea.

Also, "any inspection"? I have certified many, many progressive inspections where a whole team of workers were involved in the actual work. Better call the feds! :rolleyes:
Don't change the subject,,, Progressives are under different rules.
Deal with FAR 43-D. annuals or 100 hours.

Tom doesn’t care what the FAA says
Tom Does care what the FAA says. that is why he can post the rules/FARs, He doesn't care what the people say here.
Every one here is so adamant about following the rules, but when you post them, they don't believe.
When the FAR says the inspector "SHALL" that is what it means. I know what every one does, that doesn't mean they are right.

Don't change the subject,,, Progressives are under different rules.
Deal with FAR 43-D. annuals or 100 hours.

I have done the same with lots of 50, 100 & 200 hour inspections if that makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

Here is another one that n ever gets done..

I have done the same with lots of 50, 100 & 200 hour inspections if that makes you feel better. :rolleyes:
Then you have been in violation just like every one who doesn't follow the FARs

Tom Does care what the FAA says. that is why he can post the rules/FARs, He doesn't care what the people say here.
Every one here is so adamant about following the rules, but when you post them, they don't believe.
When the FAR says the inspector "SHALL" that is what it means. I know what every one does, that doesn't mean they are right.
Lol
Just because you keep saying the same stupid **** over and over with more confidence every time doesn’t make it any more true.

Lol
Just because you keep saying the same stupid **** over and over with more confidence every time doesn’t make it any more true.
So repeating the FAR's is stupid Sh--,, Got it. dumbest thing you've written to date.

And you believe FARs are stupid, got that too.

So repeating the FAR's is stupid Sh--,, Got it. dumbest thing you've written to date.

And you believe FARs are stupid, got that too.
Nope I don’t think the FAR’s are stupid. I think your selective reading and self righteous attitude is “stupid as ****”. Note I don’t think you are stupid. Quite the opposite actually. You do manage to represent yourself on this board as extraordinarily pig headed and obstinate with an almost pathological aversion to being incorrect about anything. To the point of being ridiculous. Edit: this is my opinion about your conduct on the board. I have no idea what you are like in real life.

Frankly I hope that either you suck at the internet or are the most talented troll in existence because if not and you really believe the crap you spew on this board I truly worry about the people who’s airplanes you maintain. Edit: this would be my opinion if you are accurately representing yourself in your posts... only you know the answer to that question. I hope you are not.

Last edited:
Neither of you read the last link.
That's even funnier than the rest of this thread.
The continuation tell me you don't know what shall means or you would have been all over me.

Funnier than hell, you far gurus didn't know Shall is not mandatory. yakity yakity on and on, read my link and know you've been had.

one more time.
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/plain_language/articles/mandatory

We call "must" and "must not" words of obligation. "Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation on your readers to tell them something is mandatory. Also, "must not" are the only words you can use to say something is prohibited. Who says so and why?

Not a single one came up with that.. funnier than hell gurus with egg on their face.

Know what's even funnier than a Guru with egg on their face?

One trying to save face.

I’m not trying to save face Tom. I was trying to help you understand something you are very plainly misinformed about. In the process I have been professionally trolled by a very condescending and arrogant person that is going back on my ignore list.

I know what every one does, that doesn't mean they are right.
I couldn't have stated this better myself. Do these statements include you in not believing posted rules and not being right?:)

The FAR says what it says. The FAR is the rule.
Unless the rule has been legally interpreted which takes precedent over the rule.

Perhaps you might consult with your civil lawyer, who advised you to add certificate numbers to logbook entries "to contaminate the liability loop", for advice on this topic? Which was, by the way, not part of the rule.

So what does this big massive change with shall and must actually mean to those reading and working with the regs? I know I won't be changing my work habits just yet based on this world changing revelation.

When every body is so upset, they must be angry at them selves for not knowing that "shall" does not make it mandatory.
So pointing that out makes it a troll.
But this thread is proof that most of the experts here don't understand the usage or terms the FAA places in their FARS.
Yet they are the experts, :)

When every body is so upset, they must be angry at them selves for not knowing that "shall" does not make it mandatory.
So pointing that out makes it a troll.
But this thread is proof that most of the experts here don't understand the usage or terms the FAA places in their FARS.
Yet they are the experts, :)

To be clear, you don't think that the interpretation posted above from the FAA Office of Chief Counsel is of any significance at all? The FAA wrote the regulations; the FAA enforces those regulations. The FAA Office of Chief Counsel tells the FAA employees, and us, what the regulations actually mean (they are the "interpreters" of the regulations). But, your take is it doesn't matter what the FAA Chief Counsel says, all that matters is the plain words used in the regulations (as YOU interpret them), despite the fact that the FAA itself has issued an official interpretation of what those words mean?

Back