Things I’ve learned as a captain after a month

We were forbidden to power back, in the turboprops to the CRJs. Company policy. Not that a few didn't try. :)

Last edited:
@Anymouse I'm sure can tell me how to do it better since he's got a few thousand hours more TPE-331 time than I do.

It's been well over six years since I've flown the Casa. However, typically, by the time I would land, get off the runway, taxi and was ready to flip the switches, the required time was up.

We also have a 2 minute cool down. I see people using idle reverse all the time, never heard of it being an issue until now. I will say one time, a CRJ-200 in the block was trying to get around an B737-800 which was also in the block. They went into reverse and powered back to get around it... Now I can see multiple issues there

I suspect that even with idle reverse you've got some impact on secondary airflow which can affect cooling. But it's been a few years.

It's been well over six years since I've flown the Casa. However, typically, by the time I would land, get off the runway, taxi and was ready to flip the switches, the required time was up.

It's been that long? Man, time flies.

It's pretty normal for the airports I frequent to have FBOs right where I turn off the runway, so essentially no taxi back. Hence I take my time for those.

Lately I’ve added to my briefs to wait until I call for a checklist to run it. I know some captains don’t care but like I said in my other post, if they start running a checklist without me calling for it, it throws me off my tempo. I understand why some of them run the checklist on their own though.
Pilots definitely have different speeds that they find comfortable. Since you are a new captain, having a slow tempo is good and understandable. Some people speed up after they get more experience. For others, the speed they work is just part of who they are.

Pilots definitely have different speeds that they find comfortable. Since you are a new captain, having a slow tempo is good and understandable. Some people speed up after they get more experience. For others, the speed they work is just part of who they are.
Definitely. And some people rush just to rush. After one of the FOs missed an item on the before takeoff checklist, I told him to slow things down. We have plenty of time.

We were forbidden to power back, in the turboprops to the CRJs. Company policy. Not that a few didn't try. :)

We used to power back with pax as SOP in the Dash 7 in BOS and DCA. We also used to power back to park at our MX base in the ATR and J-31.

Ignition continuously fires to prevent a flameout. We have to turn it on under certain conditions like going through moderate precip, ATIS reporting windshear, etc.

Ah. I think I get it. Not just relying on compression making the air hot enough to light the fuel off?? What is it, a giant spark plug?

Ah. I think I get it. Not just relying on compression making the air hot enough to light the fuel off?? What is it, a giant spark plug?

Sudden changes in the intake air available (like a wind shear event) could cause the engine to flameout. In this case, having the ignition running should cause it to fire right back up (or prevent a total flameout in the first place)

I would think FOD could become more of an issue using reverse at low speed. I have personally seen a jet do some damage to its engines by using reverse on a sanded runway.

I would think FOD could become more of an issue using reverse at low speed. I have personally seen a jet do some damage to its engines by using reverse on a sanded runway.

My thoughts as well. You risk blowing FOD from the runway up into the air in front of the aircraft, where it can be sucked in. Above a certain airspeed, this is not an issue.

Depends on how much reverse thrust. If you’re at idle reverse you shouldn’t pick up anything really. We have a limitation of max reverse thrust down to 75 kts.

A jet engine doesn't work like that. The flame is continuous. There are no "cycles". The incoming fuel ignites because there is already a fire burning in the combustion chamber(s). The igniters are used to start the engine and, as a precaution, in situations where you might get a flame-out and would need the igniters to restart the combustion.

Reactions: Ted
You guys really fly with that many a holes lol?
No. In all my years as an FO, I only ever flew with one guy who I would say was an a-hole. There were maybe a handful of others who were maybe jerks, and I’d rather not fly with them, but not enough to actively avoid their trips. The a-hole... I would refuse to fly with him again.
If you haven’t flown with an A hole, then you are one. :)
In the AF, we would say that there’s an a-hole in every cockpit. If you can’t figure out who it is... it’s you. (This rule also applies in the fighter world. ;) )

Back