The State of New Mexico - a bunch of crooks

"I'm sorry sir, we're used to dealing with Congress and Presidential Cabinet Appointees," would have been funnier. ;)

Glad to hear a monkey is off your back, Nick. Perhaps a couple extra C notes will make up for the discomfort, allow you to take the Mrs. someplace nice.

And now you know to file a return every year, no matter whether you think you have to or not. They had $200 of YOUR money for four years. Wouldn't that have been nice to have back in '08? :)

Long time ago Iowa claimed I owed them money; I did not. I no longer lived in Iowa but I sent them documentation proving I didn't owe them anything. Their response was "Pay First, Argue Later."

A quick phone call and a Fedex package to Senator Grassley got them off my back immediately.

I never file... there isn't any state income tax in Tennessee.

Nor in Washington. :D It pleases me to no end each year when TurboTax asks if I want to do my state return (after finishing my federal one) and I click "no". Not that we don't pay taxes in Washington, just not an income tax (and not for lack of trying by the legislature over many decades).

In most States without income taxes, sales and property taxes are higher, making up the difference.

The only thing worth bragging about is overall taxation, and few people calculate that (including sales taxes) for themselves.

Colorado gives a rebate on sales tax if you're over the standard deduction but you have to buy a lot of stuff to go over. Well worth checking and tracking in years where you purchase "big ticket" items.

I got a letter today from the NM TRD instructing me to stop filing $0 tax returns since I no longer live there...

That was a fun, unexpected letter. Apparently my plan worked...

I got a letter today from the NM TRD instructing me to stop filing $0 tax returns since I no longer live there...

Congrats........ You found a chink in their armor....:thumbsup:

Now's your chance to put the rest of your plan into action...don't stop filing!
The Retribution Phase.

This was actually more fun than it should have been. In 2007, I neglected to file a tax return for the state of New Mexico because I had determined that year that I would get a refund for like $5. It was not worth my time to even bother.

Guess maybe it would have been worth your time.

I love these kind of posts. You knew You were required to file a tax return and flat blew it off. Now the state has to use it's resources to enforce a law that You knew You violated. The state should collect what they expended on the investigation and a penalty.

This was actually more fun than it should have been. In 2007, I neglected to file a tax return for the state of New Mexico because I had determined that year that I would get a refund for like $5. It was not worth my time to even bother.

Well, last year, the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department told me I was going to be audited for failure to file. I spoke on the phone with the gentleman and explained why I did not file, and he told me he would drop it.

A few months ago, I received notice that the state had performed an audit and had completed their investigation and determined that I owed them $469 in taxes, plus a late payment fee and interest for the last 4 years. Oh, and on top of that, there was an amnesty program running last year for 2007, and had I admitted fault, they would have waived any penalties and let it go. But - remember, last year, I was told that there was no problem and I was good to go. They had no record of that.

Well, unfortunately, I don't have records from 2007. 2007 was a wacky year, I moved to Lake Havasu City on 1/1/2007, and moved back to Albuquerque on 7/31/2007. I was also 24 years old at that time, so I certainly lacked the good knowledge to keep records. So I had the pleasure of trying to find as much information as I could to prove my innocence.

Step 1 - Call NM TRD and explain that most of my income was not made in New Mexico that year. Their response: "You had 30 days to comply from the date in the letter. No exceptions." I think that first lady called me a deadbeat too. Awesome.

Step 2 - Find my W2 from Arizona. I thought this was going to be the hard part, but it turns out my old employer (whom many of you know) was VERY helpful in getting this information to be quickly. Yeehaw.

Step 3 - Get information from the IRS to show total income.

Step 4 - Get my W2 from employer for the remainder of the year. This was the longest part of the process.

Ok - so I got that information, called NM TRD and explained that I was getting the information as quickly as I could, and would they please allow me the time to build a defense? "No. And, you must get your official response to us in the next 3 days or you will have admitted guilt." WHAT??

Ok - so I had to take the first step - officially fighting their ruling. At this point, I had a lot of information, but not enough to fax to their call center to prove my innocence. I should note - they repeatedly told me that they showed that I had paid $0 in taxes to the state of New Mexico.

I drafted the following letter:

I then received a phone call that said my letter and the accompanying proof was not enough to establish that I did not owe them the money that they claimed I owed. I was also told, on this call, that they would be placing a lean against anything they could within a month, and my time had expired to continue fighting the matter, since I had not provided proof that countered their evidence that I had not paid any tax to the state in 2007.

Today, I received my W2 from T-Mobile. Guess how much tax I paid to the state of NM in 2007... $474. Those sneaky bastards - they had to know that, because it was already paid to them. They're trying to extort more money from me, and guessing from the income level at the time, I presume they thought I was stupid enough to roll over.

So I drafted another letter and mailed it today:

I believe we are at check mate. I don't know what their next move will be, but I hope at this point that they will realize they can't bully me into paying more money.

Sigh.
Should have put a lien on their assets.

I love these kind of posts. You knew You were required to file a tax return and flat blew it off. Now the state has to use it's resources to enforce a law that You knew You violated. The state should collect what they expended on the investigation and a penalty.

You mean the kind where when you read all the way to the end you find out that the state admitted it was wrong and apologized for their behavior? Yeah, I love those too!

How did your beer delivery business end up working out? Are you still doing that?

The poor dears. Spending taxpayer money on fruitless investigations they already had all the data to show it was fruitless, but they couldn't pull their heads out far enough to read in the dim light of the office.

By the way, I'm still filing $0 returns in NM. Just remembered that the year is ending and I need to get the NM PIT form for next year...

I think this is the 6th year in a row.

By the way, I'm still filing $0 returns in NM. Just remembered that the year is ending and I need to get the NM PIT form for next year...

Have you considered submitting $0 returns to every state that has an income tax?

Have you considered submitting $0 returns to every state that has an income tax?

Don't forget Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, and any other US territories

EDIT: To be on the safe side, you may also want to file with the folks in London as well...last time an american didn't pay brittish taxes, the situation got pretty heated...

EDIT: To be on the safe side, you may also want to file with the folks in London as well...last time an american didn't pay brittish taxes, the situation got pretty heated...
Nope. Those states didn't try to screw me.

Reminds me of my last days working for the Federal Government. A month or so before I left, I went to a conference. Since I didn't declare that the conference didn't include lunch they declined to pay the registration fee ($200, why they didn't just disallow the $7 lunch charge I do not know).

Now since I had an advance they determine they want $70 back. I point out that there was no lunch and they really owe me $130, but nothing happens by the time I move away so I write it off.

Then I got a letter saying that they were going to take the $70 out of my pay. I chuckled and throw the letter away. I then get a letter where they tried to dock my pay but found out I didn't work there anymore and threaten more. I called the office and pointed out again that they owed me the money. They want a copy of the receipt. I told them I turned it in (which is how they knew there was $200 to begin with). I call up the conference company and they send me a duplicate, which I forward along to these clowns.

Two weeks letter I get a check for $200. Great, I'm done dealing with this. I cashed it and declined to answer any more letters. Sure enough I do get one where they admit they gave me $70 too much and they'd like that back. I ignored it.

Two weeks letter I get a check for $200. Great, I'm done dealing with this. I cashed it and declined to answer any more letters. Sure enough I do get one where they admit they gave me $70 too much and they'd like that back. I ignored it.

One year at the airline, I got a W2 that was for exactly twice my actual pay for the year. I called Payroll and told them to please send me the rest of the money.

For some stupid reason, they declined and sent me new W2s instead. Jerks.

The state of Indiana still owes me like $0.80... Bastards won't cut a check <$1 last I checked.

How long has it been....surely the late fees and interest have brought it to an amount that is greater than, $1 (bob).

Nope. Those states didn't try to screw me.

Yet....haven't tried to screw you, YET.

Though on a serious note, I've recently been getting calls for "IRS collections". Some people with blocked numbers, speaking in very thick Filipino accents. Usually I really enjoy messing with those people, but the last few calls have been to my parents house, and it always freaks them out.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I find it odd that it wasn't worth your time to file when they owe you money, but it is worth it, every year, when the balance is $0.

Every year I send a form to the US Treasury declaring an overseas bank account, denominated in Japanese Yen, which has never had any money in it.

Every year I send a form to the US Treasury declaring an overseas bank account, denominated in Japanese Yen, which has never had any money in it.

hmmmm, I used to have an account in Austria...maybe I should declare it...

Yet....haven't tried to screw you, YET.

Though on a serious note, I've recently been getting calls for "IRS collections". Some people with blocked numbers, speaking in very thick Filipino accents. Usually I really enjoy messing with those people, but the last few calls have been to my parents house, and it always freaks them out.

I know a guy got burned by one of these - badly. There are those who believe the government can do anything (and, with the trajectory of rights abuse and constriction these days, no wonder).

In this instance, the victim came from a country where a person out of favor with the government could easily "disappear."

It's an easy form to fill out. Even so, you don't have to do it at all, unless you've got $10k in other accounts overseas.

I had a rather large payout from a law suit in Alaska. The check came to me in New Mexico. It was an award, not pay.

NM promptly sent me a letter stating I owed the state 30k in taxes. A phone call cleared it up with a certified mail saying the matter was closed.

A year later I got another letter stating that I owed 30k in taxes and the penalty would double that if I didn't pay up immediately.

A phone call with a certified mail with a copy of the previous letter cleared it up, with another letter telling me it was cleared up. I followed it up with a phone call and was told that even though the letters are on file, there was nothing showing that the file had been closed. The nice lady took care of that for me and followed it up with a letter showing the file had been closed.

A lawyer, from New York, wanted a 3500 dollar retainer to clear it up for me. Nope, I don't pay before the work is done.

I know a guy got burned by one of these - badly. There are those who believe the government can do anything (and, with the trajectory of rights abuse and constriction these days, no wonder).

In this instance, the victim came from a country where a person out of favor with the government could easily "disappear."

Was this victim from the country of,,, New Jersey..:dunno:.......:D.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: you determined on your own that it wasn't "worth [your] time to even bother" filing a tax return and you think the State of New Mexico is in the wrong here? Wow.

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly: you determined on your own that it wasn't "worth [your] time to even bother" filing a tax return and you think the State of New Mexico is in the wrong here? Wow.

Did you read the whole thread?

Back