The State of New Mexico - a bunch of crooks

NM is apparently not one of them.

Which is why the gov't is so jacked up. NM knew Nick paid. NM also said he owed less than what he actually paid. Yet they waste resources on it. Stupid.

She would owe taxes if she had income or lived in California. She did neither.

Oh, and I really take exception to the thread title. I don't think tax collectors are crooks. They're just doing the jobs for which we hired them. And I do think it takes a special kind of stupid to not file a tax return, even if it is revenue neutral.

We hired them to waste a tax payer's time, and the rest of the state's tax payments to hunt down someone who had already paid more than the money they claimed they were owed?

Seriously, everyone (except one) is missing the important point here: They should know how much money I gave them. If they don't, how can they possibly audit someone? Couldn't I just file taxes that said "I paid you $5,000,000 in taxes, but owed $469. You owe me a couple of million dollars."

Of course that won't work - so they know how much money I've paid them. They are trying to hoodwink me out of the money a second time on the hopes that I'll consider it such a small amount of money I won't bother looking into it.

Anyone that claims they don't have a way of knowing how much I've already sent them is dreaming - lest we have an automatic get rich quick scheme ready to go. Lets all file million dollar tax refunds in NM quickly before they figure out how to do it!

We hired them to waste a tax payer's time, and the rest of the state's tax payments to hunt down someone who had already paid more than the money they claimed they were owed?

Seriously, everyone (except one) is missing the important point here: They should know how much money I gave them. If they don't, how can they possibly audit someone? Couldn't I just file taxes that said "I paid you $5,000,000 in taxes, but owed $469. You owe me a couple of million dollars."

Of course that won't work - so they know how much money I've paid them. They are trying to hoodwink me out of the money a second time on the hopes that I'll consider it such a small amount of money I won't bother looking into it.

Anyone that claims they don't have a way of knowing how much I've already sent them is dreaming - lest we have an automatic get rich quick scheme ready to go. Lets all file million dollar tax refunds in NM quickly before they figure out how to do it!

Had you filed a return (which probably would not have taken very long at the time) you would have simple document to obviate any response. Look, you're the one in dutch here.

Nick;
The issue here is not how much you paid them but how much you owed. They don't know that until you tell them what your tax status is. There is also the issue that the funds don't go into the general revenue fund when they are sent to the state by your employer on a quarterly basis, they go into a impound fund that is not supposed to be spent. That is how they can send you a refund when you file.

Seriously, everyone (except one) is missing the important point here: They should know how much money I gave them.
They might know how much money you gave them but they don't know other things such as how many exemptions/dependents you are going to claim or your deductions.

They might know how much money you gave them but they don't know other things such as how many exemptions/dependents you are going to claim or your deductions.

In which case he would owe them even less! So they should have just been like "Ha, look, this idiot overpaid!" and said nothing.

In which case he would owe them even less! So they should have just been like "Ha, look, this idiot overpaid!" and said nothing.
It doesn't just work in one direction. He could have had unreported income.

They told me how much I earned, and how much I owed, and demanded payment for that much plus interest.

So somehow, they knew how much I owed.

And it was less than what I paid.

Certain places don't require you to file if your owed vs. paid is within a certain amount.

If you do file though, you nitpick them out of the pennies they owe you and more importantly, if push comes to shove, you have documentation by their own rules that you weren't screwing them. It's a lot easier to pull up the generic forms than to dig through all your unorganized/lost documentation to prove it 5 years later.
(I was unemployed a few years ago and filed anyway. Lots of zero's were used. In the section for occupation, I put "unemployed, zero income this year")

Seriously, everyone (except one) is missing the important point here:
No Nick we get it. You did not do what you were supposed to and now you are in a mess of your own making. You were 24 years old when this happened, that is not a stupid kid age, that is an adult. Had you done what was required of you none of this would be going on.

Like I said, it takes a special kind of stupid to not file a tax return. Death and taxes are the two constants of the human condition. Bitching about them is in a special category of useless.

No Nick we get it. You did not do what you were supposed to and now you are in a mess of your own making. You were 24 years old when this happened, that is not a stupid kid age, that is an adult. Had you done what was required of you none of this would be going on.

Its not really a mess, it was an attempted extortion attempt that was blocked.

If it were a mess, I'd be looking at owing them a lot of money.

And, for what its worth - 24 is a stupid kid age still when it comes to money. Keep in mind that I was still making <30K a year back then, living paycheck to paycheck.

I think I'm going to start filing $0 tax returns every year I don't live in NM, just to cost them more money each year. Don't want them thinking they have a right to the income I'm earning in NC, right?

Actually, I have 3 days of NM income this year, so I suppose I better file for that ~$1400.

Like I said, it takes a special kind of stupid to not file a tax return. Death and taxes are the two constants of the human condition. Bitching about them is in a special category of useless.

I'm not bitching about having to pay taxes. In fact, I'm doing what a lot of people said conservatives should do: I paid more and didn't complain about it. A lot of people say "If you think people should pay more taxes at a lower bracket, maybe they should volunteer to do so."

Well guess what happens when you try....you get called "stupid" by your peers and accused of bitching.

I should note - I have every expectation that the state of NM will realize that they've been caught in their game and will drop this now. To continue would be to waste money on a case they can't win.

You owe $xxx
You paid $xxx + $5

To say I owe anything beyond what's already been paid is a fail at math.

Its not really a mess, it was an attempted extortion attempt that was blocked.

Again, complaining about taxis is a special kind of useless.

If it were a mess, I'd be looking at owing them a lot of money.

Were it not a mess, I doubt it would have impacted your psyche sufficient to put it here. Put another way, I don't think I've had any tax difficulties sufficient to warrant a new thread here.

And, for what its worth - 24 is a stupid kid age still when it comes to money. Keep in mind that I was still making <30K a year back then, living paycheck to paycheck.

At that age I was making less than one third of that, lived in a much more expensive community, and saved money.

I think I'm going to start filing $0 tax returns every year I don't live in NM, just to cost them more money each year. Don't want them thinking they have a right to the income I'm earning in NC, right?

Actually, if you have an NC tax return that shows your income was earned in NC, then you can send it to anyone requesting NM tax.

Actually, I have 3 days of NM income this year, so I suppose I better file for that ~$1400.

Yes, you should. It will take about ten minutes to write the return, and you can remove that total from your NC tax return.

Nick,

These kinds of things happen. People either forget, or don't think that they need, to file tax returns. These are honest mistakes; people make them all the time.

Nevertheless, not-so-honest people will also either fail to file, or falsify, a tax return. While I have absolutely zero doubt that you made an honest mistake here (seriously, I have no doubts in this regard), the gubmint has no way of: 1) determining what [you say] you made; and 2) therefore has no way of determining how much you owed. Back in the old days, this was a lot harder to detect, but computerization has changed that.

While it's a honest mistake, you can't blame the tax assessor for investigating further - it was your [apparently] informed choice, after consideration of what you'd gain by doing so, not to file a tax return.

Go along with what they're asking, which you could have avoided by doing what you consciously chose not to do, and this will disappear quickly. And you'll get $5.

Act as you have been - in a confrontational and adversarial manner - and you: 1) aren't making any friends; and 2) are acting in the classic manner designed to trigger suspicions.

Now, I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning of the thread. Maybe you already sent them all of the information they wanted. If so, shut your cakehole and wait for them to get back to you.

If not, and I think you said you had either lost or never had a lot of the information they're looking for, you're going to have to go to a little more effort.

The State of New Mexico wins this battle, unless one of the exceptions discussed earlier (time, notice, etc.) applies. You're the one that didn't do what he was supposed to do; now you have to play ball.

You can either accept that, or you can fight out. I would highly recommend not fighting it, becase you're the one who's in the wrong right (that was fun to write; I did it again!) now, which you've very expressly admitted.

Last edited:

Yes. Unless there is an exception for people making <$X, and $1,400 is <$X.

You're on the list of auditees now, and that increases your chances of the exact same thing happening in the future.

Nick,

These kinds of things happen. People either forget, or don't think that they need, to file tax returns. These are honest mistakes; people make them all the time.

Nevertheless, not-so-honest people will also either fail to file, or falsify, a tax return. While I have absolutely zero doubt that you made an honest mistake here (seriously, I have no doubts in this regard), the gubmint has no way of: 1) determining what [you say] you made; and 2) therefore has no way of determining how much you owed. Back in the old days, this was a lot harder to detect, but computerization has changed that.

While it's a honest mistake, you can't blame the tax assessor for investigating further - it was your [apparently] informed choice, after consideration of what you'd gain by doing so, not to file a tax return.

Go along with what they're asking, which you could have avoided by doing what you consciously chose not to do, and this will disappear quickly. And you'll get $5.

Act as you have been - in a confrontational and adversarial manner - and you: 1) aren't making any friends; and 2) are acting in the classic manner designed to trigger suspicions.

Now, I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning of the thread. Maybe you already sent them all of the information they wanted. If so, shut your cakehole and wait for them to get back to you.

If not, and I think you said you had either lost or never had a lot of the information they're looking for, you're going to have to go to a little more effort.

The State of New Mexico wins this battle, unless one of the exceptions discussed earlier (time, notice, etc.) applies. You're the one that didn't do what he was supposed to do; now you have to play ball.

You can either accept that, or you can fight out. I would highly recommend not fighting it, becase you're the one who's in the wrong right (that was fun to write; I did it again!) now, which you've very expressly admitted.

Their demand was that I pay them $469 + interest. Since I'd already paid them $469, I had complied before they even sent me the notice.

In lieu of sending $469 + interest, I was requested to send proof that I did not owe it. I have done that as well. The only confrontation came after I was accused of being a "deadbeat" by their call center reps. Then, they began calling me every day to try to get a credit card payment...and this was not an outsourced call center, this was NM TRD.

I have now sent them everything they asked for, except an additional $469 + interest, and demanded that they stop harassing me. I don't think I've been confrontational in that regard.

They have not asked me to file a tax return for 2007, they have simply asked that I send them more money. If they were to ask for a tax return for 2007, I would do it, but I don't want to voluntarily do one because by doing so, they can claim late penalties, I suspect.

So to sum up: NM wants $469. I have paid $473. They wanted proof, and I sent it, along with a request to leave me alone.

I think that's pretty good, right?

You've been to NM. You know they're not quite "information age" yet.

Your income tax returns were probably in a file folder with those dentists filing tabs on the side. Your withholdings were probably in a different file folder with different colored tabs down the side.

They were probably in different adobe huts on opposite ends of the government reservation. The people shuffling those folders around don't talk, don't have any interest in you personally, including hassling you. It's not even about the money -- its about the missing return in wigwam A. :)

Once you realize that, and once you realize the functionary hassling you has nothing else to do but that, for the rest of the career, your outrage may convert to pity, you'll file the return, and probably $20 in penalties, and have a fun story to tell for life. I have a stack of em from assorted states and their different little rules. It's cost me plenty, but I understand that it's not malice, it's unintelligent process machinery.

$0.02

- Mike

I'm 24 and don't consider myself a stupid kid. In fact, the last time I fit your above description of what a 24 year old is, I was 16 years old.

When I was that age, I did the exact same thing, State of MS wanted 7 grand off of me and I lived in TN for the majority of the year (no income tax). I didn't file MS taxes for the few months I lived there and they wanted ALL of it. I just filed my taxes 2 years late, paid like a $90 late "fee" and got on with life. You're issue is that you didn't file, that is a NO NO. Jump through their hoops get it sorted out live and learn.

Their demand was that I pay them $469 + interest. Since I'd already paid them $469, I had complied before they even sent me the notice.

In lieu of sending $469 + interest, I was requested to send proof that I did not owe it. I have done that as well. The only confrontation came after I was accused of being a "deadbeat" by their call center reps. Then, they began calling me every day to try to get a credit card payment...and this was not an outsourced call center, this was NM TRD.

I have now sent them everything they asked for, except an additional $469 + interest, and demanded that they stop harassing me. I don't think I've been confrontational in that regard.

They have not asked me to file a tax return for 2007, they have simply asked that I send them more money. If they were to ask for a tax return for 2007, I would do it, but I don't want to voluntarily do one because by doing so, they can claim late penalties, I suspect.

So to sum up: NM wants $469. I have paid $473. They wanted proof, and I sent it, along with a request to leave me alone.

I think that's pretty good, right?

The problem is your attitude. You are the one that made the mistake here. You're going to earn your way right back into another audit, which is entirely discretionary on the part of the taxman.

Although it certainly applies to the gov't side as well, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. If you've got a problem with how you were treated, the appropriate response isn't to escalate the situation, especially when you are wrong. You resolve the situation, show them that you're not dishonest, and then raise holy hell. Letters to the department head, to the governor, the local newspaper, whoever. Saying, "sure, I made a mistake, but a little courtesy goes a long way."

But you can't really turn the situation into one of "they're the dicks here." Do that, and you get the reaction that you have in this thread: along the lines of "dude, did you think something different would happen."

Anyway, chalk this up to experience. Honest mistakes happen all the time. Seriously. I've made enough of them myself to know.

We're talking 2007 money, not 1930s money.

I have to agree with that one. Unless adjusted for inflation, the old "I made that much money when I was your age" argument is always wrong.

As far as the rest goes, Nick... filing isn't optional. Doesn't matter what the State knows or doesn't know. :)

While we often think "This OUGHT to work THIS way", it never relieves us of the responsibility to know and comply with how things ACTUALLY work at the time.

You might be able to beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Hey guys, this is Nick we are talking about here. Nick is a smart guy. It is NM that is screwed up, not him. They should know. Everybody in the NM tax office should know that Nick isn't the kind of guy who just doesn't do something without giving it a lot of thought and coming up with the only logical conclusion. NM sucks. They are just trying to get one past him, and they should know better than to mess with him. It isn't smart to mess with Nick.:nono:

I'm 24 and don't consider myself a stupid kid. In fact, the last time I fit your above description of what a 24 year old is, I was 16 years old.

I'm glad you said 16 and not 17...'cause David's 17 and he's not a stupid kid.

Wait.

I met him when he was 16.

You better change that to 15, Jesse!

Wait.

Nick's definition of stupid kid was something like "living pay check to pay check and making less than 30k per year"

Nick's definition of stupid kid was something like "living pay check to pay check and making less than 30k per year"
I wouldn't call that part stupid, however it only took me about 30 seconds to find this site.

http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/Individuals/File-My-Income-Tax/Pages/Do-I-need-to-file.aspx

Do I need to file?
New Mexico’s law says every person who has income from New Mexico sources and who is required to file a federal income tax return must file a personal income tax return in New Mexico.

You must also file a New Mexico return if you want to claim:
a refund of New Mexico state income tax withheld from your pay,
or New Mexico rebates or credits

Maybe it's a failure of the education system. I've always thought that young people need to be taught these things in school which I would call "survival skills in the real world". I think that kids should be taught how to fill out an income tax form. At the minimum they should be taught when they need to file.

Oh that's crazy talk. ;)

They can't even do a budget, let alone taxes. Or calculate how much they'll pay in taxes. ;) Compound interest? Heck no.

Can't *ever* teach 'em that. They're about to embark on at least $40K in Student Loan debt to become educated enough to qualify for their $25K/year first job. And every teacher in the system went that route. They think that's "normal".

The suicide rate would skyrocket if they figured out how long they're going to be broke. Really broke. :(

"Teacher, these numbers say I'll be a debt-slave until I'm 35... If I even find a job!"

"Yes dear, hush now and stop applying that math we taught you to your real earning potential in your 20s. You'll upset your stomach before the standardized test prep this afternoon."

:popcorn:

I actually agree with you -- but it'll never happen. Reality is not exactly a strong-suit of the public school system.

I had an economics teacher once (economics was an *elective* even 20 years ago - WTF?!) who assigned the class a project to do their real budget for their first year in college.

I did a realistic one, for me, all the way down to livin' the "Macaroni and Cheese" lifestyle that didn't include any student loan money.

I was told it "wasn't realistic" and even had concern voiced, "You don't actually eat like this now do you?" an obvious attempt to see whether or not my family/home life was "abusive". Prick.

I said no, but it'd be okay to get started with -- and made my case for it's realism -- and the teacher still couldn't believe it.

I suggested that maybe joining the military would change it significantly if I decided to go that route, and he relented. I got a "B". ****ed me off.

In the real world, I lived on only a slightly better budget for three years. Better because I held down three part-time jobs instead of the two I assumed in the budget.

And with a little help from family, via a free room for two years at my grandfolk's place, even managed to get my Private ticket. Without that kindness, and a CFI who let me hang out at his house talk airplanes, and mooch off his aviation bookshelf, I wouldn't be a pilot today. I think about half my ground-school was done over his kitchen table for free, even though I offered to pay. I ended up paying him back in a completely unexpected way when he was diagnosed with cancer and the visits were more to keep his mind off the chemotherapy effects than I really knew at the time.

The third year I had a *lovely* little one-bedroom apartment that was perfect if you ignored the odd cockroach scampering for cover when you flipped the lights on in the kitchen.

Ended up deciding not to finish the degree when opportunity finally knocked. It knocked because I busted butt and made sure I did a better job than I was paid for. One company needed cheap techs and four of us telephone operators fit the bill.

Overtime? Heck yes! Run cabling on a Saturday to build out the new call center? Absolutely! Quit one of my other part-time jobs to go full-time with full bennies? Hell yes. (I kept the weekend gas station job -- that was the flying money.)

I had only one semester on student loans. Shouldn't have even done that.

But I *never* forgot how that holier-than-thou high-school teacher prick said it couldn't be done that way...

Turned out, it was a *great* education. But not the one he wanted me to learn.

I beat his income level and bennies -- other than his monster old-school (literally!) pension plan -- by the time I was 23.

My mistake was the compound interest thing. Got married, had a "real" job, bought too many toys. Paid on them for a decade. Mainly trucks. Stupid, in hindsight. But survivable.

First condo purchase at 25. Sold at a profit and current house purchased at 28. Only mistake there is that it's too big for us. We're talking about downsizing when the dog and cat pass on. Our first mortgage terms on the condo made the stuff people whine about today for interest rates they want "modified", look tame.

In November of 2001 I went through a layoff. No job for a year. We lived on one salary and got by, never missed a mortgage payment. We had to painfully steal some money from a retirement account complete with penalties. But we got through it. More lessons learned. No bankruptcy. Didn't even use Unemployment money (perhaps a big fiscal mistake but it's nice to say now when folks ask my opinions on government - I put my money where my mouth is.)

Dumbest fiscal move ever? Airplane co-ownership at 36. Best decision ever for my heart, though. ;)

Changes the retirement plan, but the Mrs. was so cool with it, she conspired with others to push me over the worry-wart edge. I look over the spreadsheets from time to time and see that my worst fears about unanticipated maintenance came about halfway true, and I'm still paying exactly what a rental would have cost... with an ever-growing engine fund and more access to the plane and people whom I both like and whom I trust flying it.)

There's always the cockroach laden one-room somewhere to start over from if we totally screw it up, I figure.

My biggest worry these days is watching MBA's screw up good businesses that I work for. Man, some of them are greedy stupid bastards. They haven't yet taken over the current employer. We don't have everything we want in the IT department, but the stuff we have is making money. I just watch and pounce on stuff that'll make things run better for as little cost as possible.

One machine finally hit it's wall today on load. An upgraded used but serviceable server will be racked to replace it tomorrow and will be in service by next week. That's cutting it just a shave too close for my tastes so we'll see if they get the upgrade/capacity planning together a little better early next year.

^^^^^^^ I walked away from college with 7K in student loans and i didn't need 7K of that , I'm always telling stories about working in the bookstore..... On the construction site.... In the machine shop..... and I get "I thought you worked at the book store? replies" or "I thought you worked on a contracting crew" or "I thought you worked in the machine shop".... I washed a car here and there too and had my living expenses down to 300/month and filled out more grant/scholorship forms than I care to remember. I still have folks ask me to help em' get the forms filled out and I've been out of college 10 years.. My sister left college over 70K in debt with a new car to boot. :mad2:

I wouldn't call that part stupid, however it only took me about 30 seconds to find this site.

http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/Individuals/File-My-Income-Tax/Pages/Do-I-need-to-file.aspx

Maybe it's a failure of the education system. I've always thought that young people need to be taught these things in school which I would call "survival skills in the real world". I think that kids should be taught how to fill out an income tax form. At the minimum they should be taught when they need to file.

They dont teach you how to file a tax return in school. I was taught nothin in high school. In college i took business classes and learned how to calculate taxes for a business but nothing as far as personal taxes.

I just went to the library, got the form, and filled it out. Wasn't what I'd call hard. Didn't get hard until I had rental property, got paid as a contractor, and was receiving royalties.

I just went to the library, got the form, and filled it out. Wasn't what I'd call hard. Didn't get hard until I had rental property, got paid as a contractor, and was receiving royalties.
You would be surprised at how many people don't know how to fill in a simple tax form. The short one. I remember teaching at least a couple co-workers how to do it in the past. That was before computer filing.

You would be surprised at how many people don't know how to fill in a simple tax form. The short one. I remember teaching at least a couple co-workers how to do it in the past. That was before computer filing.

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised. I am reminded frequently that I travel in rarified company.

Wait.

It was simply an attempt to inject a bit of levity into a thread that's been pretty reckless otherwise.

Apparently...fail.

Ahh, the sweet joy of having a government employee call and kiss my ass.

Got a call today from Sarah at NM TRD, who apologized profusely for the mix-up. Apparently, the Taxation and Revenue Department has taken a new policy - if a Federal Return is sent with a mailing address in New Mexico (even if the physical address is different), they have made a flat assumption that all income on that return is New Mexico income.

Additionally, they determined that I actually have a refund of over $200 that I'm due, and they are emailing me forms from 2007 to collect it. They also put a statement in the mail that explains that I don't owe any money.

The sweetest part of the call was hearing the most profound apologies on behalf of their call center, which "routinely deals with people who are trying to dodge taxes." It was, as they stated, apparent by the records that I did not, in fact, owe any money to the TRD for 2007.

And the last part: "I apologize on behalf of the State of New Mexico for any 'harassment' you have received from any employee."

Yeah. Feels good. When I get the official letters, I'll post 'em here :)

And Nick, I appreciate your mentioning that the folks from the state were actually polite. Glad to hear it.

Back