The PoA Relay (Race)

If ya'll get anywhere near the lower peninsula (i.e. Florida) I'll be in. Skyhawk day trip distance from KORL.

I do like the creativity that went into this one...

John

I like it, I'd be in. I like the idea of handing something off as well.

Also, if it's a race, would there be team captains? How would you divide up people into teams? I really like the idea, just thinking a bit of organization might make it more successful.

This is a great idea, but how about a second relay (not using the letters) - pick a region - maybe up to four or five states - and the first team to cover every published airport in that region or state with a POA member photoshoot at each field wins.

I like it, I'd be in. I like the idea of handing something off as well.

Also, if it's a race, would there be team captains? How would you divide up people into teams? I really like the idea, just thinking a bit of organization might make it more successful.

It's not as much fun flying solo. If you're up for someone riding shotgun on your leg I'll throw in for half the expenses and cover lunch.

It's not as much fun flying solo. If you're up for someone riding shotgun on your leg I'll throw in for half the expenses and cover lunch.

I heard of a relay a few years back where they carried Henning across the US.

Would be fun to hand off a POA'er

Handing Henning off? Oh yeah.

Haha, ever see the south park where cartman makes his hand into Jennifer Lopez and starts dating brad pit

I was gonna volunteer but I'm gonna need more time to build up my forearms

This is a great idea, but how about a second relay (not using the letters) - pick a region - maybe up to four or five states - and the first team to cover every published airport in that region or state with a POA member photoshoot at each field wins.

Yeah, that was sort of the concept with GFA and OF. 9 years later we still only have about 62% of the airports claimed. Texas alone still has 216 unclaimed airports.

I am going to draw up a FAQ, and I got the page updated so it now gives a bit more info. Distances between the airports (I may do a direction as well)
I also have a submit button to look up a specific ID, and may put in a filter so you can look at airports within a certain distance.

http://www.sidnaw.org/relay/

Last edited:
For each person who flies a leg?!?

If you can determine a method that verifies the pilot properly completed a leg posted by your system.... then yes.

how 'bout we step it up a notch.

same concept you're proposing, but form two 'teams' to compete against each other, AND.............each team has their own kilo of blow and case of moonshine. the first team to get said packages delivered untouched and in tact using the MOST PoAers WINS, and has one heck of a celebration party! on the flip side, you could argue for the first team to use every last drop of shine and blow with the LEAST amount of PoAers wins.

point deduction for ramp checks and DEA encounters.

additional points awarded for pics of crack ho's sitting right seat while jonesing for a line.

no points deducted for checking into rehab.

How about both teams start with fresh slaw, whichever team loses has to eat it on the final leg.

Kittens make a great hand off item :D

#UberKITTENS

Naw, the only thing required in Colorado is that you drive with your blinker on or that you run red lights.

One other requirement that I recall from living in the Denver area a bit over 30 years ago - you get to the end of an on-ramp and STOP, look for an opening in traffic and then actually believe you can go 0 to 60 instantaneously. This while I'm behind you, looking over my shoulder for that same opening and have the gas floored so I can merge in. Then I look ahead, see you stopped (IDIOT!!!) and stomp the brakes to keep from shoving you into traffic. Have Denver drivers learned how to get on a freeway yet?

I like the concept!

I think the "race" idea would be a bit impractical to implement, but the "challenge" idea is appealing.

Maybe something a little more like, using the previously stated rules of "airport pairs", see if we can connect at least one leg in all 48 states. Maybe even, as has been suggested, transport "something" and hand it off at each point so that it travels all across the U.S. We could get pictures at each stop, near an airport sign or something and post them.

I like the challenge of trying to do it only changing one letter of the identifier. Results in some detailed planning required.

Interesting idea. I'm based at OLM (Olympia, WA) and there are ways to get to Oregon using this. OLM - CLM - CLS - KLS - DLS. A bit out of the way going up to CLM first, but it works. Considering that CLS is less than 20 miles south of OLM and KLS is only 51 nm south of OLM (CFI always used that for the first XC as if you could get lost going from OLM to KLS (both are on I-5) you really needed to find a different way to spend your excess money).

KLS to DLS has alternate routes to fly, but the easiest is to go south to the PDX class C, hang a left and go up the Columbia River to DLS.

I didn't look to see where you would go from DLS, but this is an interesting exercise. The only problem with it this time of year is the weather in the Pacific Northwe(s)t. VMC is not too common, and I don't think I'd really want to fly IFR in a single much of the time, as well. Ice is no fun.

Keep looking at this. Should be fun.

I like the concept!

I think the "race" idea would be a bit impractical to implement, but the "challenge" idea is appealing.

Maybe something a little more like, using the previously stated rules of "airport pairs", see if we can connect at least one leg in all 48 states. Maybe even, as has been suggested, transport "something" and hand it off at each point so that it travels all across the U.S. We could get pictures at each stop, near an airport sign or something and post them.

I like the challenge of trying to do it only changing one letter of the identifier. Results in some detailed planning required.

I like that idea. I punched in Rhode Island because I thought it might be tough matching some of those airports, but each one has at least one relay airport within 230nm. I haven't checked Delaware yet.

I like that idea. I punched in Rhode Island because I thought it might be tough matching some of those airports, but each one has at least one relay airport within 230nm. I haven't checked Delaware yet.

Central Florida is not so hot. ORL has nothing within ~500nm. LEE, DED, TIX, EVB, and ISM are all similar. X04 has 3 or 4 but they're all south so that doesn't really help.

see if we can connect at least one leg in all 48 states.

If the PoA member map is any indication, there may not be enough active members in the western states to make it easy to complete legs in the west in any timely fashion: Longer distances coupled with lower population density. The east and midwest at least has higher density of residents and therefore PoA membership.

If the PoA member map is any indication, there may not be enough active members in the western states to make it easy to complete legs in the west in any timely fashion: Longer distances coupled with lower population density. The east and midwest at least has higher density of residents and therefore PoA membership.

North to south had good coverage.
Ed brought up a good point. It doesn't have to be cross the U.S.
Could be a relay around Florida

I suggested a relay around the Dallas bravo using maximum of 15 mile legs :)

Possibilities are endless really

Central Florida is not so hot. ORL has nothing within ~500nm. LEE, DED, TIX, EVB, and ISM are all similar. X04 has 3 or 4 but they're all south so that doesn't really help.

3 letter IDs are the worst for matching.
your best bets are number-letter-number for the most matches

I would like to participate. I can think of 4 Alabama pilots that are active on here. Not sure how Central Alabama fits though.

3 letter IDs are the worst for matching.
your best bets are number-letter-number for the most matches
Why make the letter / number requirement. Seems too cumbersome and cuts some pilots out of reasonable range. Just pick the goal and make it work!

For instance, the two airports I would use only have two options for a relay within a distance I can reasonable achieve with my circumstances...

http://www.sidnaw.org/relay/index.php?id=RBD&maxdist=200
http://www.sidnaw.org/relay/index.php?id=GPM&maxdist=300

But you don't have to use just those two, you can (for example), hop on down to F41 to meet the previous pilot, then fly somewhere else and back to one of your two home bases. F41 has a lot more options.

Airports with numbers in the ID just have a lot more possible matches. The main two airports I fly out of HSD and PWA. Not a lot of reasonable-distance options for either of those! But I can fly to other airports that do have a ton of options.

I'm not sure why people think they can only fly out of one airport, or that they have to fly directly from airport to aiport.

I'm based out of 9D9, but it probably won't be in the relay.
but around me I have 61D, 35D, Z98, BIV, GRR, AZO, FPK, 6D6, 08C, HLM, and a crap ton of other airports nearby. I could very easily meet someone at 40C and then come back home to 9D9.

A couple days later i head out to one of these places:

http://www.sidnaw.org/relay/index.php?id=40C&maxdist=300

Nobody is bound to fly out of their home base.

Hell, I was at RYY a couple weeks back. I could have stopped at RMY and met JoeSelch who is based out of 57D. Then she might take a trip to meet Tim Winters at 3MY even though she went back to her home base in between.

Russ has it figured out.

Ryan -

You have 114 possible airports you can meet someone at airport x within 100nm of GPM. I'm fairly certain out of those 114 airports, a few of them match some others within 100nm of GPM. You can fly home between links. You just have to meet the next PoA'er at an eligible airport in relation to airport x. You don't have to fly directly from airport x to airport y. You can go home, sleep, eat, work, make fuel stops, before heading off to airport y.

Last edited:
We could do APC-APA-APF. :D

Make it a real cross-country.

Ryan -

You have 114 possible airports you can meet someone at airport x within 100nm of GPM. I'm fairly certain out of those 114 airports, a few of them match some others within 100nm of GPM. You can fly home between links. You just have to meet the next PoA'er at an eligible airport in relation to airport x. You don't have to fly directly from airport x to airport y. You can go home, sleep, eat, work, make fuel stops, before heading off to airport y.
I get it now, but why not just make all airports eligible?

Bring the best microbrew your hometown produces. Share the local pride.

THAT is a great idea.

I will type up the idea I have for this trading after I pick up my dinner. The beer drinkers will love this.

OK, let's see if I can explain how I envision this:

Pilot #1 brings two bottles of a local microbew with him to meet Pilot#2
Pilot #2 brings one bottle of a local microbrew to meet Pilot#1.
Pilot #2 gives his single microbrew to Pilot#1.
Pilot #2 keeps one of the beers from Pilot#1 for himself and
thence...

Pilot #2 brings two bottles of a local microbew with him to meet Pilot#3 along with one bottle from Pilot#1
Pilot #3 brings one bottle of a local microbrew to meet Pilot#2.
Pilot #3 gives his single microbrew to Pilot#2.
Pilot #3 keeps one of the beers from Pilot#2 and the other from Pilot#1 for himself
thence...

Pilot #3 brings two bottles of a local microbew with him to meet Pilot#4 along with one bottle from Pilot#2
Pilot #4 brings one bottle of a local microbrew to meet Pilot#3.
Pilot #4 gives his single microbrew to Pilot#3.
Pilot #4 keeps one of the beers from Pilot#3 and the other from Pilot#2 for himself
thence...

So basically,
If you are the "downstream" pilot bring 1 beer for the "upstream" pilot.
If you are the "upstream" pilot bring 2 local beers plus the beer you got from the previous "upstream" pilot to give to the next "downstream" pilot.

Make sense?

I talked to Bryan. We will make a comic strip showing what we mean

Last edited:
THAT is a great idea.

I will type up the idea I have for this trading after I pick up my dinner. The beer drinkers will love this.

thence...

Pilot #2 brings two bottles of a local microbew with him to meet Pilot#3 along with one bottle from Pilot#1
Pilot #3 keeps one of the beers from Pilot#2 and the other from Pilot#1 for himself
thence...

Pilot #3 brings two bottles of a local microbew with him to meet Pilot#4 along with one bottle from Pilot#2
Pilot #4 keeps one of the beers from Pilot#3 and the other from Pilot#2 for himself
thence...

So basically,
If you are the "upstream" pilot bring 2 local beers plus the beer you got from the previous "upstream" pilot to give to the next "downstream" pilot.

Make sense?

I will try not to hide anything subtly inappropriate in anything I'm asked to photoshop

THAT is a great idea.

thence...

thence...

thence...

So basically,

Make sense?

Looks like I may end up with some beer I can't drink... :nono:

THAT is a great idea.

thence...

thence...

thence...

So basically,

Make sense?

It sounds like a chain letter. "Send a bottle of microbrew to the first 5 names on the list. Add your name and forward to 5 people. Within 2 weeks you'll receive 800 cases of beer..."

I know that's not how the math works but it just struck me funny.

Again, if I can make it work, I'm in.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd make it a six pack so that once this gets going, everyone gets six beers. One from the pilot he/she just met, one from two pilots ago, one from three pilots ago, etc. Everyone always brings a six pack to keep the process going.

The first five pilots get progressively less screwed. The last pilot gets 11 beers.

Just make sure the FAA doesn't hear about this... :lol: It could be misconstrued.

Back