The phrase "With You"

I wasn’t judging it. Just an example of style differences that don’t matter.

But I’ll never forgive them for (and the rest of Europe) killing Position and Hold, because we all know us naughty rebellious ungrateful Colonists needed to assume the position.
Conquered Euros are accustomed to "lining up and waiting." There must have been a compromise to not use "queue-up".

Even worse is when the dude says "checking in with you..." aaaargh!!!

Almost. I believe the common pronunciation for this one is "Aaaaaaand Center...."

These phrases make me want to choke the choads who say them.
Have you tried anger management?

Conquered Euros are accustomed to "lining up and waiting." There must have been a compromise to not use "queue-up".

LOL. I was thinking line up and wait sounded like something communists do. Position and hold is a positive maneuver done by the pilot instead.

I love bringing that one up over and over... I really don’t care in the slightest, it’s just turned into my favorite troll in radio phraseology threads that never ever ever end. Ever. Did I mention ever?

"And.........."

ROFLMAO... I am guilty of that one once in a while. I picked it up being lazy in ham radio contacts from the big rigs at home when the amplifiers are on. It takes the amp a second to come up to full power and if I’m sitting there doing something else I’ll often have the headset on and the radio in VOX. So it’s ....

“Annnnnnddd... thanks for the call, you’re five nine in sunny cold Colorado today, old man... weather is a balmy X degrees...”

Because the “annnnnnnd” triggers the transmitter and the keying line to the amplifier, but the needle on the power meter takes a second to swing to full power.

So sometimes I do it in the airplane. I try to cut it off with the PTT if I catch myself starting to do it.

I could beat it out of myself completely if I’d just set up a better audio delay at home. Trigger the PTT instantly and delay the audio from my mic to the rig by about 200ms would do it, but I sometimes listen to the side tone.

Side tone is a very Aviation style thing in radio, normally we radio ops listen to silence when transmitting... that’ll drive most pilots to distraction...)

Listening to yourself 200ms delayed, virtually guarantees you’ll slooooowwwwww downnnnnnn tallllllking... so I’d have to build a monitor loop that’s real time for the headphones and delay the audio into the rig. Someday I’ll do that through a good mixer board for VOX ops, but that’ll be when I’m old and retired or something.

There’s a couple of Android and iOS apps that demonstrate that weird ass human behavior about the feedback delay to your ears, too. You put on headphones and talk into your phone and the phone feeds you back your own voice delayed a little... it’ll bring all brain to mouth processing to a halt. Hilarious to watch people try it. And then try to talk through it.

Last edited:
LOL. I was thinking line up and wait sounded like something communists do. Position and hold is a positive maneuver done by the pilot instead.

I love bringing that one up over and over... I really don’t care in the slightest, it’s just turned into my favorite troll in radio phraseology threads that never ever ever end. Ever. Did I mention ever?

ROFLMAO... I am guilty of that one once in a while. I picked it up being lazy in ham radio contacts from the big rigs at home when the amplifiers are on. It takes the amp a second to come up to full power and if I’m sitting there doing something else I’ll often have the headset on and the radio in VOX. So it’s ....

“Annnnnnddd... thanks for the call, you’re five nine in sunny cold Colorado today, old man... weather is a balmy X degrees...”

Because the “annnnnnnd” triggers the transmitter and the keying line to the amplifier, but the needle on the power meter takes a second to swing to full power.

So sometimes I do it in the airplane. I try to cut it off with the PTT if I catch myself starting to do it.

I could beat it out of myself completely if I’d just set up a better audio delay at home. Trigger the PTT instantly and delay the audio from my mic to the rig by about 200ms would do it, but I sometimes listen to the side tone.

Side tone is a very Aviation style thing in radio, normally we radio ops listen to silence when transmitting... that’ll drive most pilots to distraction...)

Listening to yourself 200ms delayed, virtually guarantees you’ll slooooowwwwww downnnnnnn tallllllking... so I’d have to build a monitor loop that’s real time for the headphones and delay the audio into the rig. Someday I’ll do that through a good mixer board for VOX ops, but that’ll be when I’m old and retired or something.

There’s a couple of Android and iOS apps that demonstrate that weird ass human behavior about the feedback delay to your ears, too. You put on headphones and talk into your phone and the phone feeds you back your own voice delayed a little... it’ll bring all brain to mouth processing to a halt. Hilarious to watch people try it. And then try to talk through it.
it doesn't bother some people. I can't cope with it though. I can't carry on a conversation when there is a louder one happening nearby either. Obviously, I don't go to many parties.

Lately, for whatever reason, when I'm asked to switch frequencies I use "ok I'll talk to 123.45 now." It flows out of my mouth quickly and conveys the same message as "change to frequency."

As far as "with you," I never use it.

To each his own, but I have developed such an aversion to "...with you" even when I get "Skylane 345, change to my frequency xxx.xx" and I change and respond with "SoCal, Skylane 12345 with you on xxx.xx" which would be appropriate since it is not a handoff I die a little inside!
The AIM has a phraseology recommendation specifically for that situation. Don't have time to copy/paste at the moment.

I think I got confused, when I said level, I meant flight level, as in archer 007 climbing to flight level 5500. But I see it now, it refers to attitude of the plane...
An Archer at 550,000' That's impressive! LOL

I was flying down south one day and there was a Mooney (it sound like it must have been an M10 with the window down). The pilot acknowledged every transmission with "There ya go."

One of these days I want to fly on "Talk Like A Pirate Day" so I can answer everything with "Arrrrhh" (which isn't too incorrect because Roger is the old phonetic abbreviation for R meaning received).

ZTL: Navion 5327K, squawk 4321 and Ident
27K: Arrrhh. There be yer button matey.

Here ya go @flyingron :)

cape-airs-fantasy-flyer.jpg

LOL. I remember someone justifying it by saying it was a warm and fuzzy greeting like hello or thanks. Someone else suggested going into a biker bar and saying, "Hi. With you," and seeing how it worked out.
"Biker bar" - someone there is likely to fit you for dental crowns or do your taxes. ...l:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In my short time (about a year training...I'm going at a slow pace) I've come to the conclusion that pilots will argue and complain about this simplest things, mostly having to do with semantics.

If hearing "with you" or something else if the biggest bother in your day, count yourself lucky.

Yeah. Well a lot (most?) professional pilots use the phrase. As you said, it is harmless. I wonder why a few people make such a big deal about it.

This. It's just a phrase often used when checking in with a new controller. "Thank You" isn't in the official Pilot/Controller Glossary but I still use it regularly.

I used to say "with you" when I'd first check in with a new controller. After reading this thread (months ago) I started thinking more carefully about what I say. It depends mostly on how busy the frequency is. I've adopted the format I hear most often, which is "Who I'm calling" - "Who I am" - "My altitude and heading". If the frequency is at least moderately busy, (which to me means that the controller will probably be paying attention) that's what I go with. If the frequency is relatively quiet, I often use "Who I'm calling" - "Who I am" - "With you" or "Checking in at" - and then "My altitude and heading". If it's really busy, and I can barely find a pause to get my call in, I'll just use "Who I'm calling" - "Who I am" - "My altitude".

I don't think the rules about communication are meant to be hard and fast, and followed blindly. They are guidelines to help keep everyone understanding one another.

This. It's just a phrase often used when checking in with a new controller. "Thank You" isn't in the official Pilot/Controller Glossary but I still use it regularly.

Oooh. Rebel. You’ll have to clean up your act now that you’ve got that fourth stripe! LOL.

“Logbook...” ;) ;) ;)

Washington Center, November Seven-too-six-seven-fife, Level fower thousand fife hundred.

Come on people get it right ;)

I got handed off to Atlanta Center today, and this thread was the first thing that came to mind after switching frequencies. "Atlanta Center, Cherokee....uhh...oh, shoot, what would POA say about this....

I got handed off to Atlanta Center today, and this thread was the first thing that came to mind after switching frequencies. "Atlanta Center, Cherokee....uhh...oh, shoot, what would POA say about this....

Why "with you" at (alt)! Easy peasy!

I use it exclusively to check in after a hand off: "Potomac, N14HV with you on 126.75". If you wanted to be a stickler for the book, I supposed it would be more technically correct to say "Receiving on 126.75", but I've yet to have a controller ***** me out for it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The only time I have ever used "with you" is after landing. Instead of handing off to ground, the tower sometimes, if not busy, will give the taxi instructions back to the ramp and asks to remain on tower frequency.

Tower: Cherokee 1234AB, taxi to ramp via B and K and remain with me"
Me: "Back to the ramp via B and K, and staying with you, Cherokee 1234AB"

“The unexamined life is not worth living.” :)

I use it exclusively to check in after a hand off: "Potomac, N14HV with you on 126.75". If you wanted to be a stickler for the book, I supposed it would be more technically correct to say "Receiving on 126.75", but I've yet to have a controller ***** me out for it.

“Potomac N14HV 126.75”. Doesn’t change the meaning at all and three words shorter. See how that works? ;)

It’s fun to see if you can eliminated it. You’ll lock up your brain and mouth a few times like @TRocket did until it becomes second nature.

Not a big deal, just a fun mental game to play with yourself.

By the way, I have it on good authority that if I check in with a particular FAA facility with the word “Meatballs” after my tail number, I shall receive priority handling. Haha.

Apparently my co-owners fed some controllers and we now have a secret code word. Hahahaha. Not kidding.

But I doubt I can bring myself to say “Meatballs” after my callsign on the air. I’ll be trying hard not to laugh if I do.

Controversial: I love love love ATITPPA..

In a seperate thread I will callenge anyone to a debate on that.

You’ll lock up your brain and mouth a few times like @TRocket did until it becomes second nature.

I very much doubt it. The secret to talking on the radio is knowing what you want to say before transmitting. In the Army, I developed a habit of writing down anything longer than a few words before sending it, and I've found the practice has held me in good stead as a pilot: I may not have a free hand to write things down, but the mental process of planning what to say is much the same.

Unless I actually stutter, I never have a problem getting my intended statement out.

I very much doubt it. The secret to talking on the radio is knowing what you want to say before transmitting. In the Army, I developed a habit of writing down anything longer than a few words before sending it, and I've found the practice has held me in good stead as a pilot: I may not have a free hand to write things down, but the mental process of planning what to say is much the same.

Unless I actually stutter, I never have a problem getting my intended statement out.

You’ve practiced.

Teaching new radio users or users who picked up lingo is essentially getting them to do what you described.

It’s fun to be an observer standing behind them at a radio console after formal training or retraining. You can just see the hamster wheel spinning as they remove a habit.

You’ve practiced.

Teaching new radio users or users who picked up lingo is essentially getting them to do what you described.

It’s fun to be an observer standing behind them at a radio console after formal training or retraining. You can just see the hamster wheel spinning as they remove a habit.

For certain. Being the guy spinning the hamster wheel with a drill sergeant shouting in my ear one time was enough to motivate me to figure out a better way to do it. A bit of practice pays off, for sure.

yeah, why would you have to say "with mike", mike should be good enough.

I always say "have mike". Unless I'm using a headset, of course.

Last edited:
In my short time (about a year training...I'm going at a slow pace) I've come to the conclusion that pilots will argue and complain about this simplest things, mostly having to do with semantics.

If hearing "with you" or something else if the biggest bother in your day, count yourself lucky.

It's like politics everywhere. The more trivial the topic the more passionate the debate. We are now up to 3 pages over two words on this thread. ;)

The big kids just push “Accept” on the FMS and the datalink loads the clearance. They chuckle at us plebes still using these quaint “voice radio” thingies. ;)

"with you" should be banned. It's a silly way to garbage up a frequency. But if you want to sound like a dork and add garbage to the frequency, "with you" is really pretty lame. I recommend:

"annnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddd Podunk Approach Cessna triple four five sugar pop with you at at 5 point 5 with ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whiskey over to you"

"with you" should be banned. It's a silly way to garbage up a frequency. But if you want to sound like a dork and add garbage to the frequency, "with you" is really pretty lame. I recommend:

"annnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddd Podunk Approach Cessna triple four five sugar pop with you at at 5 point 5 with ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whiskey over to you"
Too funny how so many rookies try to be so pro on the radio. They may have the correct verbiage, yet the delivery is obviously from a novice.
One can tell a pros radio talk not by the actual verbiage, but rather the cadence of the conversation.

My advice to most here... chill on the small stuff. The real chat comes years beyond what most here think, yet it’s the most simple stuff.
Truly pure English.

THAT one is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!
I do respect and understand the other side of this. Shall we open another thread to discuss??

I get it. I really do. I just think I have a valid point for the other side.

Back