The New England Patriots are the first NFL team with there own team airplane.

There is a concept called "Core Business" and it is generally believed to be less than wise to step out of your core business. Airplane management is not a core business for a marketing firm that happens to hold a professional sports franchise.

Yes and sticking to your core competency. Complex supply chains. Funny how the pendulum is swinging the other way now, with more vertical integration after people realized outsourcing everything had its costs and risks. Look at Tesla. Look at Boeing who just brought avionics in house again. And on and on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxresdefault.jpg
This thing went straight to storage after the #12 flight. It disappeared finally about a month ago after sitting in the desert for a couple years. Someone is probably operating it. I wonder if it's not one of UPS's airplane now.

There are several models for dealing with controlling critical functions and cost. Many oil companies run flight operations. Sometimes they handle everything, other times they buy the equipment and contract management. Information technology is another example where services are a mixture of owned and contracted. Oil companies build their own systems when no infrastructure exists. Definitely non-core but usually much better than contracting a third party. I have the tee-shirt from that one.
BTDT, brought several back-office functions in-house for a major company.

It is somewhat comical to see lineman squeeze into seats though...especially when every seat is filled so you have several of them together. We did have one Miami Air pilot come over the PA prior to departure and ask for our biggest OL to get off the plane due to weight restrictions. Everyone else laughed at least. Other than that Miami Air sucks.

I seriously doubt that.
Delta takes International 767's off of the line to fly NFL charters. They go right back to it when the trip,is done. Check out the set maps.

Maybe they can lease them out to other Boston sports teams or need to add a sponsor to help defray the expenses.
I see spring/summer Carib/Europe high-dollar charters from the northeast in That airplane's future.

I seriously doubt that.

you lose. when we do NFL charters it is with a standard line aircraft. most of the team is in the cheap seats, the coaches and the superstars are in the first class seats. by the way, most of the airline people hate doing pro charters. they are, for the most part, total A....h...s to the crew. I will fly the florida gators anyday, they are a total first class operation. I have nothing to but great things to say about them.

Just to be clear:

There was a question and a statement. I answered the question. They do not change configurations.
I understood your Steve-like response. Maybe you have some sort of ATC brain infection? or just too much exposure to chem-trails?

Pretty Cool! It's reported they purchased two of them.

View attachment 55466

Boeing 767's with full recline-able seats

Details:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20285127/new-england-patriots-first-nfl-team-own-planes

Pretty cool article, not a Patriot's fan AT ALL but good article, thanks for sharing. I noticed it said some teams are using Miami Air now, I bet those guys never get the old 400 they fly, it's like a sauna sitting on the ramp in any kind of warm weather!

Hmmm... can you then explain the increasing numbers of 125 operations within NASCAR? Sure they are not flying 767s but rather EMB 145s and CRJs, still they seem to be doing okay with them. Some have multiple aircraft.

I wouldn't necessarily say they are increasing. There are more RJ's now but some of them just replaced turbo props. Between two teams there were 5 Saab 2000's until they sold them last year and replaced them with jets. Roush was flying two 727's (One of which was the old Miami Heat plane) until they retired them to fly charter a couple of years ago, RCR was flying a Brasilia until last year, sold it for an EMB 135 that they pretty much parked to fly charter this year as well. Victory air out of SVH is growing pretty fast and a lot of teams are going that direction (they have a fleet of EMB 145's, 7 I think?). They would really be doing well if they would fly some out of JQF. And the teams with their own jets still are doing ok, convenience is a big thing, the charter deal can be clunky, and pretty expensive quite honestly. I don't know all the details but I would say they wouldn't save a ton of money the other way, plus the convenience (and huge tax write off I'm sure) probably offset the cost. They have reasons to fly them during the week as well.

I have flown with the Atlanta Falcons 7 or 8 times on the team planes, they charter from Delta and it's 757 or 767, I don't recall. It is a standard seating arrangement, first class belongs to the coaches and GM's (we have several :) )sometimes the QB sits up there as well. The next section is staff, press and peon guests and sponsors. The back half of the plane is reserved for the players, all seats are assigned both directions, players are 2 people per 3 seats for extra room. It is a business flight, on the way out coaches are discussing plans and plays, on the way back they are watching film. The biggest difference I saw besides no rules about seat trays etc, is the shear amount of food they serve!! :eek: When you board, it's Chick-Fil-A, then fruit and cheese, then the meal, usually something carb heavy, then ice cream and candy!
My buddy at the team told me last year they were having trouble getting the bigger planes from Delta and would have to cut back on the number of people they take. Delta, like all airlines needs every plane every day that it's available. They take the plane after they drop us off and return the next day to fly us back. It's a GREAT way to travel! Mr. Blank the owner flies in his Gulfstream to the games, so he's rarely on the plane with us!

My dad did a Knicks charter to London on a 767-400. He thought he was going to get the best meal of his life because these charters usually cater the best food. They ended up getting PP+J sandwiches, fried chicken, potato chips and Gatorade! Some of the captains tell me we used to have a bunch of charters for college teams. If I was a college athlete, I wouldn't want to go on our CRJs. I don't even know how they would fit.

I wouldn't necessarily say they are increasing. There are more RJ's now but some of them just replaced turbo props. Between two teams there were 5 Saab 2000's until they sold them last year and replaced them with jets. Roush was flying two 727's (One of which was the old Miami Heat plane) until they retired them to fly charter a couple of years ago, RCR was flying a Brasilia until last year, sold it for an EMB 135 that they pretty much parked to fly charter this year as well. Victory air out of SVH is growing pretty fast and a lot of teams are going that direction (they have a fleet of EMB 145's, 7 I think?). They would really be doing well if they would fly some out of JQF. And the teams with their own jets still are doing ok, convenience is a big thing, the charter deal can be clunky, and pretty expensive quite honestly. I don't know all the details but I would say they wouldn't save a ton of money the other way, plus the convenience (and huge tax write off I'm sure) probably offset the cost. They have reasons to fly them during the week as well.

Yep, Victory has 7 EMB 145s but I believe they are adding two more. Champion has 3 145s. Hendrick has 2 145s. Gibbs has 2 CRJs. Stewart-Haas has 2 CRJs. At least those are what I recall. Plus there are all of the smalle jets owned by teams and drivers. Lots of expensive metal.

So I'm not sure why anybody should be surprised that a NFL team would own one or two planes as well. And yes I realize that NASCAR teams travel far more than do NFL teams.

Yep, Victory has 7 EMB 145s but I believe they are adding two more. Champion has 3 145s. Hendrick has 2 145s. Gibbs has 2 CRJs. Stewart-Haas has 2 CRJs. At least those are what I recall. Plus there are all of the smalle jets owned by teams and drivers. Lots of expensive metal.

So I'm not sure why anybody should be surprised that a NFL team would own one or two planes as well. And yes I realize that NASCAR teams travel far more than do NFL teams.
It would seem that it would make sense to charter it out some in the off season as well, most of the inspections are calendar based and they only use it 10 weekends per season, 13 if they make the Super Bowl.

It would seem that it would make sense to charter it out some in the off season as well, most of the inspections are calendar based and they only use it 10 weekends per season, 13 if they make the Super Bowl.

Nah, their first two playoff games will be at home. :)

My dad did a Knicks charter to London on a 767-400. He thought he was going to get the best meal of his life because these charters usually cater the best food. They ended up getting PP+J sandwiches, fried chicken, potato chips and Gatorade! Some of the captains tell me we used to have a bunch of charters for college teams. If I was a college athlete, I wouldn't want to go on our CRJs. I don't even know how they would fit.

I've seen a lot of the Badgers' sports charters go out.

The football team gets at least a 737, sometimes a 757.

The women's basketball team gets an RJ. Much fewer players, and those players are much narrower.

I believe Kraft paid for Gillette himself.

I'll bet Gillette gave him some money for it. ;)

There are several models for dealing with controlling critical functions and cost. Many oil companies run flight operations. Sometimes they handle everything, other times they buy the equipment and contract management...
True. Conoco-Phillips and BP co-own and operate a pair of 737-700's which are used exclusively to fly back and forth from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay. Several flights a day, every day but Saturday. We don't get any airline miles for the 1600 mile round trip. :)

True. Conoco-Phillips and BP co-own and operate a pair of 737-700's which are used exclusively to fly back and forth from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay. Several flights a day, every day but Saturday. We don't get any airline miles for the 1600 mile round trip. :)
I was thinking more about the Gulf of Mexico, Mid-Continent, and Rockies regions where I have more experience but yeah, Alaska ops have been ongoing for 30 or 40 years or so.

At Iowa State we used (I believe they still do) Miami Air 737-800s for football. Basketball, volleyball and sometimes other sports use 328 Jets and Saabs out of some charter company in Texas.

A few weeks ago I read that several of the big airlines were now no longer providing charter service to the teams. Perhaps this purchase is an outgrowth of charter logistics? Not so much about cost effectiveness as much as ensuring availability when needed.

72 mil in public funding

Keep reading. Kraft paid for the stadium, the $72 mil was for infrastructure. (About 17 percent of the total project). I guarantee that the tax revenue from the stadium and the mixed use Patriot Place has more than repaid that.

Keep reading. Kraft paid for the stadium, the $72 mil was for infrastructure. (About 17 percent of the total project). I guarantee that the tax revenue from the stadium and the mixed use Patriot Place has more than repaid that.
You guarantee? wow that is special.

A few weeks ago I read that several of the big airlines were now no longer providing charter service to the teams. Perhaps this purchase is an outgrowth of charter logistics? Not so much about cost effectiveness as much as ensuring availability when needed.

The real reason that the airlines decided to stop flying the NFL is that they are much more difficult to beat up and drag off the plane.

Of course this doesn't apply to the Browns.

:rollercoaster:

Income from the income taxes on salaries is well over $72 million per year. None of the money went to the stadium, Massachusetts came very close to losing this team which would have cost the state way more than $72 million PER YEAR.

I suppose the stadium would function just fine without the infrastructure...

That was to pay off the politicians.
In the city of Atlanta?? Are you joking?? We have the most honest group of new millionaires of any major city, some of these millionaires couldn't buy lunch before they were elected!! They do what they do, for the little people..............................and bags and bags of little Benjamin's!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

At Iowa State we used (I believe they still do) Miami Air 737-800s for football. Basketball, volleyball and sometimes other sports use 328 Jets and Saabs out of some charter company in Texas.
They just converted one of them to all first class, it is pretty dang nice. The rest are sardine cans, and "Billie", oh, you don't want to fly on Billie if it's hot.

Back