The New England Patriots are the first NFL team with there own team airplane.

was just going to say ,going to need a bigger tail after this season.

Does this seriously make economic sense? Not that it necessarily matters.

I think if it gives the team an edge it does. I wonder about the tax benefits versus contracting with another company.

Figures. They are too stupid to lease like every other team.

Hopefully they set up the flight department correctly so they won't get sued out of existence in the event of an issue. Wait, what did I say? Hopefully they paid cash and self insured.

It probably does. Maybe not in an MBA sense but in a team building/maintenance perspective. Teams are traveling internationally now so player & staff comfort on long flights is a selling point when recruiting free agents and resigning vets. Other teams have players riding in economy seats. That has to suck for a 300# lineman on the scout team who rides next to the lav with the ball boys...

It probably does otherwise Kraft wouldn't have done it. Plus it gives them operational control over their flights. Some of the major airlines have stopped doing NFL charters or at least greatly reduced them. This ensures that NE will have transportation. They can also contract with other organizations who might have a need for air transportation. Kraft also owns a soccer team so they may end up using it as well. I'm sure they ran the numbers a hundred different ways before taking the plunge.

Hopefully they set up the flight department correctly so they won't get sued out of existence in the event of an issue. Wait, what did I say? Hopefully they paid cash and self insured.

LOL. Bob Kraft is anything but stupid.

I seriously doubt that.
So you think United changes out the seats when some team charters an aircraft? Everything I've read says they use aircraft off the line.

Maybe they can lease them out to other Boston sports teams or need to add a sponsor to help defray the expenses.

Yep, real stupid, lol.

So you think United changes out the seats when some team charters an aircraft? Everything I've read says they use aircraft off the line.

No, but the majority of United planes have 12 or more first class seats.

No, but the majority of United planes have 12 or more first class seats.
Pretty sure there are a few more than 12 players, coaches, and staff on an NFL team. Plus if they are winning the owners and entourage are known to travel with them.

Yep, real stupid, lol.

There is a concept called "Core Business" and it is generally believed to be less than wise to step out of your core business. Airplane management is not a core business for a marketing firm that happens to hold a professional sports franchise.

There is a concept called "Core Business" and it is generally believed to be less than wise to step out of your core business. Airplane management is not a core business for a marketing firm that happens to hold a professional sports franchise.

Hmmm... can you then explain the increasing numbers of 125 operations within NASCAR? Sure they are not flying 767s but rather EMB 145s and CRJs, still they seem to be doing okay with them. Some have multiple aircraft.

More correctly, it's "their"
Well it might be their's. Have to track down actual ownership. Bet it's a leasing company. although it may be a small enough purchase that capex isn't a problem. I mean we're talking less cost than a starting QB for the year.

Yes, and I would argue that said concept is overrated.

There is also a concept of identifying and bringing in-house critical functions that may or may not be part of the core business. In this case, transportation is a critical function to the team, even if it's not core. At the same time, it provides a means of transporting and keeping "stuff" safe from others - stuff like footballs, for example, that other teams might want to deflate. It might well save some money, especially since some airlines are pulling out of the sports charter business. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedree...ix-nfl-teams-including-dolphins-and-steelers/

For an example of the airlines straying from the "core" to bring in-house "Critical" functions, look no further than Delta airlines, which bought a refinery near Philly.

This move might just cost them some sponsor dollars, but is not likely to make much difference on the bottom line.

I'm willing to bet this was looked at carefully and was determined that it would be beneficial and if it turned out not to be, it would barely be a blip on the balance sheet. The revenue these teams generated is mind boggling and this is but one of Kraft's endeavors.

Yes, and I would argue that said concept is overrated.

There is also a concept of identifying and bringing in-house critical functions that may or may not be part of the core business. In this case, transportation is a critical function to the team, even if it's not core. At the same time, it provides a means of transporting and keeping "stuff" safe from others - stuff like footballs, for example, that other teams might want to deflate. It might well save some money, especially since some airlines are pulling out of the sports charter business. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedree...ix-nfl-teams-including-dolphins-and-steelers/

For an example of the airlines straying from the "core" to bring in-house "Critical" functions, look no further than Delta airlines, which bought a refinery near Philly.

This move might just cost them some sponsor dollars, but is not likely to make much difference on the bottom line.
There are several models for dealing with controlling critical functions and cost. Many oil companies run flight operations. Sometimes they handle everything, other times they buy the equipment and contract management. Information technology is another example where services are a mixture of owned and contracted. Oil companies build their own systems when no infrastructure exists. Definitely non-core but usually much better than contracting a third party. I have the tee-shirt from that one.

There are several models for dealing with controlling critical functions and cost. Many oil companies run flight operations. Sometimes they handle everything, other times they buy the equipment and contract management. Information technology is another example where services are a mixture of owned and contracted. Oil companies build their own systems when no infrastructure exists. Definitely non-core but usually much better than contracting a third party. I have the tee-shirt from that one.

I never got to fly on the Texaco Westwind back in the day... couldn't figure out a reason to go to Houston on days when it was flying. :)

Just to be clear:

There was a question and a statement. I answered the question. They do not change configurations.

maxresdefault.jpg

Admittedly, it isn't actually owned by the team. But Paul Allen does own his own 757, and hangars it just a couple of miles south of the stadium....

Ron Wanttaja

Back