The MyFlightBook thread

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AggieMike88, Mar 17, 2016.

1. iamtheari

iamtheari Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    Hood time is "simulated IMC." You'll be logging a ton of it from now on, to get your rating and then to remain current and proficient with it.

2. Mike Blackburn

Mike Blackburn Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mrb13676
    Gotcha
    Thanks!

3. EricBe

EricBe Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    That is correct. To be more precise, IFR generally means time spent under instrument flight rules, even if it’s severe clear. The training that they want you to have is training either in actual conditions or under the hood, so you want to be logging simulated IMC or actual IMC. A given flight will contribute MIN(Dual, SImulated IMC + actual IMC) towards the requirement of this rating.

4. RussR

RussR Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    @EricBe , I looked in the FAQ but didn't find this: how does myflightbook calculate "night" time? It did not seem to do it correctly for me last night. Here are the details:

From the myflightbook entry:
    Engine start: 0011 (Z)
    Flight start: 0023
    Flight stop: 0123
    Engine stop: 0124
    Total time: 1.2
    Night time: 0.8

Sunset time at the airport (from Foreflight): 2329
    Civil twilight: 2357 (estimate from "timeanddate.com")

The whole flight from engine start to stop occurred after civil twilight, so shouldn't it be 1.2 at night? The definition for "night" being "after civil twilight".

Edit: I just read through your blog entry on this topic and it seems to say that you ARE using civil twilight as your "night start" time, with an interesting discussion about the problems involved. But I'm still not sure why it logged mine as 0.8.

Edit #2: I just found your "Day/Night Tool" and it says civil twilight last night was at 00:15, but even this should have resulted in 1.1 night, not 0.8.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Just approximate from when it was dark outside, this isn’t rocket science.

6. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Now offering reverse discounts.
    @RussR --- are you using MFB to keep up with your Dual Given hours? Besides the time, what other info are you logging in MFB?

7. RussR

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    For instructional flights, I pretty much only have the student's name in there, and the times (DG, PIC, Total). I keep a separate document that shows whatever instructional things we did.

8. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Hi, Russ. Do you have the telemetry from the flight? That would let me give a definitive answer. Note that the Day/Night tool is only in 5 minute increments. Otherwise, can you send me the route of flight and I can dive into the approximation and see what that says? (Or point me to the flight on the server - the ID of the flight is the number after the slash in flightdetails.aspx or viewpublicflight.aspx in the URL.)

At the end of the day (sorry, couldn't resist that pun), whether it is night depends on your position as well as the time, so civil twilight at your departure airport is less important than where you are when the sun goes below 6 degrees. Or, if you are flying west, for example, you are "chasing" the sunset and that can impact things. Of course, that's only going to be rounding error for short distances and slow aircraft. But I'd have to dive in a bit to answer this.

May be best to take this on email. myflightbook@gmail.com.

9. jsstevens

jsstevens En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Silly but perhaps related question: when I look at flight totals for simulated or actual IFR flight, are the totals for the flight hours or only the time logged as simulated (or actual)?

10. RussR

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    Email sent, thanks!

11. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Each total corresponds to the field in a given flight. So if you're looking at all totals, then the total for simulated IMC is the sum of the simulated IMC field for all of the flights, which may not equal the total flight hours for that flight.

Note that if you search for flights that contain, say, actual IMC time, then that acts as a filter on which flights are included in totals, but does not change the meaning of each individual total. So the IMC in the resulting totals will be your actual IMC as recorded in the matching flights, and the "Total Flight Time" total will be the sum of the total flight time for the matching flights (which is often considerably more than the IMC time).

12. jsstevens

jsstevens En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Thanks. That’s how I’d expect it to work but I thought it was “inflating” my simulated instrument time. I went back and looked in more detail and I was, apparently, mathematically challenged. Your code was correct.

EricBe likes this.
  13. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    OK, took a look at your telemetry. It starts about 4 minutes before the end of civil twilight, so the night flight should be just slightly less than total flight. I suspect the reason Night recorded much lower is that your options for night flight are set to sunset+1hr to sunrise-1hr (i.e., matching the landing requirements of 61.57(b)). But alas, night flight and night landings are independent, and the definitions of each vary from country to country (which is why I have multiple options for each, which can be set independently of one another).

14. RussR

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ
    Thanks Eric - as discussed in the email, my autodetect is set for "civil twilight" for night flight. On your recommendation, I have reinstalled the app and will see what happens next time I fly at night. Thanks!