The MyFlightBook thread

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by AggieMike88, Mar 17, 2016.

1. EricBe

EricBe Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Can possibly add a toggle. Personally if I do an approach to an airport I put it into the route even if I don’t land but I can see why others may choose otherwise.

Note that this whole screen ultimately only does two things: a) assists in creating a text description (in the Approach Description property) of the approaches in the form #-KIND-RUNWAY@AIRPORT, and b) optionally bumps up total approach count by #. I.e. it’s not doing anything you can’t do directly, it’s just saving you touch typing (which is why airports are a pick list)

So you can also pick a random airport from the scroll list and then edit the description

maybe, though, it should just be an autocomplete; that’s generally the best way to combine selection from a constrained list and free form typing...

2. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    No pony in this race. The names of the approaches fields are among the many additional fields I don't use.

But I'll mention I'm one of the "choose otherwise." In my case, it started with my first instructor using "LOCAL" instead of a second airport ID if there was no intermediate landing at another airport. I picked it up. When I began using an eLogbook in the early 1990s, I found it was a way to query "generic" cross countries (remote point of landing regardless of distance) without creating a field. "Doesn't contain LOCAL." Just never saw a reason to change it.

EricBe likes this.
  3. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Note that MyFlightbook already has built-in support for non-local without having to use "LOCAL". If the route of flight is either XXX or XXX-XXX (hyphen optional), then it's a local flight. If you want to see your "generic" cross-country, just search for "non-local" flights.

4. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I know. But one of the things I like most about MyFlightBook is how it allows me to log the way I have for 30 years without forcing me to accept "your" way :)

EricBe likes this.
  5. iamtheari

iamtheari Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ari
    This is, I think, a feature request. I want to be able to say "I have logged PIC in N different aircraft" or "I have landed N different airplanes," and I want to find N without having to filter my flights by each separate plane or type to tally them up.

Basically, I am looking for the path of least resistance to get a list like this, which would be useful almost exclusively for bragging purposes:

N1234: 10.2 hours, 3.7 hours PIC, 8 landings, 5 day full stop, 2 night full stop
    N56AZ: 1.3 hours, 0 hours PIC, 0 landings, 0 day full stop, 0 night full stop
    N78BY: 5.7 hours, 5.7 hours PIC, 2 landings, 1 day full stop, 1 night full stop

I have 15 tail numbers in my logbook and at least one of them has been reassigned to a different plane. I could find this information by hand in about the time it took type type this post. But I can imagine that some people have 150 tail numbers in their logbooks, with dozens of them belonging to different aircraft now, so it would be impractical to distill the same data without computer help.

6. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Try Training->8710 Form->Rollup by model to do it at least at the model level.
    If you want it at the individual tail number level, then I'd recomend downloading to excel and creating a pivot table. Very quick to do that.

7. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    [​IMG]

EricBe likes this.
  8. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    I'm happy to help create that spreadsheet for you. :)

midlifeflyer and denverpilot like this.
  9. NealRomeoGolf

NealRomeoGolf Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    My life at work almost every day. You should see this 5 level nested if formula I did....

Love your program Eric.

denverpilot and EricBe like this.
  10. Tokirbymd

Tokirbymd Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tokirbymd
    I have to say THANK YOU. I recently completed my IFR training and was filling out my IACRA form. My logbook was a MESS. multiple addition errors, etc. fortunately I had digitized my logbook recently on MyFlightbook. Made it super easy to go back and correct math, identify all of the specific flight conditions for the IACRA, etc.

However, I noted recently since iOS update that MyFlightbook crashes when I try to add a new flight from iPhone. Usually right after finishing all of the information on the flight and pressing add. Interesting enough many times if I refresh the recent list the flight is there but it is also still waiting for me to add the flight from the new flight page. Not sure what is happening.

denverpilot likes this.
  11. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    thanks for the kind words - but I'm a bit distressed to hear about the crash! Can you send me a crash report? (Should take this offline to myflightbook@gmail.com).

12. smv

smv Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    Love Excel.

My first e-log was created using an early version of Excel that did not have the "IFS" function. This is an example of one of the formulas in that worksheet. This one pulls out Night X-Cntry PIC time from an entry:

=IF(AND(AND(W36>0;Y36>0);OR(I36>0;J36>0;K36>0));IF(W36>Y36;Y36;W36);0)

The front sheet of the workboox emulates an 8710 but goes beyond that. It also shows me all of my currency items as well as breaks out individual lines for Make/Model.

The copy on this device hasn't been updated for a few years (since I started using Garmin Pilot) so all the currency blocks just show '-' but this gives you an idea of how it works...

[​IMG]
    :)

Attached Files:

EricBe likes this.
  13. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Gets really complicated really fast, indeed! Although even the formula there could be simplified (e.g., for Night-PIC-Cross-country, I'd use MIN(Night, PIC, Cross-country) and you need to be careful to do it on the individual flights, not the totals.

E.g., suppose you have three flights in the same aircraft: #1 has 2 hours of PIC, but no cross-country and no night. #2 has no PIC, but 2 hours of day cross-country. #3 has no PIC and no cross-country, but has 2 hours of night. Your totals row for the flights in that aircraft would show 2 hours of PIC, 2 hours of Cross-country, and 2 hours of night. And your formula would yield 2 hours of Night-PIC-Cross-country. But alas - you actually have NO night-PIC-cross-country in this scenario. So you'd need to do this for each flight (as a new column) and then sum up that column.

Excel's great for a lot of things, but it really breaks down for things like currency where you might have multiple paths to currency. (E.g., you can get instrument current by 6 approaches+hold OR an IPC; a checkride counts as a flight review, etc.)

14. smv

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    Negative... Each flight would be on its own line and each line has the formula applied individually (for a log with 500 lines of blank entry lines, the file size was over 15MB in just formulas alone) so line #1 would add to the PIC tally, lines #2 & #3 would not add to anything because if I am not logging either PIC, Dual Received, or Dual Given, there is no point of even logging the time.

15. EricBe

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eric Berman
    Ahh, if it's all on its own line, then it's what I was proposing (not what I saw in the screenshot, which looked like totals grouped by model). BTW, can often be worth logging time even without PIC (in my example above, you might have been training in a new category/class and been able to log dual received but NOT log PIC), but I agree if you're not PIC/SIC/CFI or Dual, then not much point...

16. smv

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    Yup. The screenshot is just the "gather it all in one place" sheet and most of the formulas there are not much more than =SUM(LOG!EM:EM) type formulas (that one being the "X-Cntry PIC" block) where LOG!EM:EM holds the nested IF/AND statements.

The Make/Model blocks are more like: =SUMIF(LOG!C:C;A6;LOG!Y:Y) This one being the one that calls up all PIC in a C182RG.

Indeed. That is how I ended up with upwards of 380 hours of Dual Received. ASEL, AMEL, ASES, Glider, & Helicopter. :)

EricBe likes this.