The little VariEZ

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Anyone interested in following the progress of the rebuild?

Yes, I would be.

I would love to keep track with you Tom, We might be heading to visit family on Whidbey this summer. Waiting for wife to make plans, if so we will look you up.

I'll get more pictures loaded as time permits.

My response of Yes was in response to the OP not the FB question. Clicking the FB link told me I have dual factor auth turned on and to go generate myself a new code because I never use the phone browser, just their app. LOL. So, it probably works but I'm not doing that right now. :)

Screenshot from 2016-02-24 11:26:40.png Wanted me to log in first when I clicked on the link in the thread.... Suppose it could be a Linux thing.

Love the drag'n drop pic upload!!!

Last edited:
Yeah I don't have facebook so couldn't go there.

Ok, here's a stupid question. Why does the plane always look like it's sitting on it's nose? Does it have no nose gear? I've seen pictures of ones with the gear, and others where it looks like it has the two main in the back but appears to be "dragging" the nose.

innerwebz rumors is that it's too light in the nose without pilot to "Sit! Stay!" so they kneel it on the nose. ??? True?

Ok, here's a stupid question. Why does the plane always look like it's sitting on it's nose? Does it have no nose gear? I've seen pictures of ones with the gear, and others where it looks like it has the two main in the back but appears to be "dragging" the nose.
You're quite correct......that is a stupid question. THE NOSE WHEEL RETRACTS !!!!!!!

You're quite correct......that is a stupid question. THE NOSE WHEEL RETRACTS !!!!!!!

MMkay, but why retract the nose gear and let the fuselage SIT on the ground? Doesn't that make it harder when it extends, ie, has to push the whole frickin plane up?

Rutan.variEze.g-veze.arp.jpg

My understanding, and I have not yet had the pleasure of flying a EZ, is that it's easier to exit the plane when she's on her nose, also I believe it's less stress on the mechanical nose retract when she's sitting like that, and yes they do build them to sit on their nose. I'd also imagine the plane is more secure from wind nose down.

I don't recall EVER seeing a EZ parked with its nose wheel down and locked.

and....they are less likely to flip over with the wing at that angle.

My understanding, and I have not yet had the pleasure of flying a EZ, is that it's easier to exit the plane when she's on her nose, also I believe it's less stress on the mechanical nose retract when she's sitting like that, and yes they do build them to sit on their nose. I'd also imagine the plane is more secure from wind nose down.

I don't recall EVER seeing a EZ parked with its nose wheel down and locked.

Thanks @James331 and @Checkout_my_Six. So, what do you do when you wanna leave? Do you have to pick up the nose and extend the gear or can you just extend it safely? First time I saw one of these I thought it was broken...

Neat project @Tom-D though!

The more I think about it, if I needed a economic commuter, I think the EZ would be it, I mean GPH to kts wise, experimental for great budget avionics and systems, good endurance, light mx and they look good, VERY hard to beat them in the small plane to go places class

Keep us up to date,with pictures ,always liked the EZ ,but I think I would like a little more room,like a velocity.

hydraulics?.....it's a manual pull? or electric motor?

Last edited:
It is a manually activated gear system. You get in and out of it with the nose gear extended then retract the gear and put it on the ground. You can't extend it with anyone in it. Basically the reason it is designed that way is because it is pretty tail heavy with no one in it. Setting it on its nose prevents it from tipping up on its tail.

Thanks @Greg Bockelman! That makes a whole heck of a lot more sense. I'll read up on a bit more as it's got me curious. Looks like a pretty spiffy plane though.

no facebook here either....too bad. would be neat to see.
Frank

Back