The little VariEZ

Greg is correct, it's for CG purposes. You can extend it on the electric motor upgrade with people on board as well. Seen Cozys do it.

Velocity is a much larger aircraft and not quite as tail heavy therefore three wheel stance is ok for parking.

Last edited:
Are you capable of making a statement in a manner that isn't insulting?
How can you have even the smallest of interests in aviation and not know about the Rutan aircraft ? How ? It's just not at all possible in my mind.

How can you have even the smallest of interests in aviation and not know about the Rutan aircraft ? How ? It's just not at all possible in my mind.

Pretty easily. And even if you know of their existence, you wouldn't necessarily know details.

And there's also just being polite...

My wife has around 16K hours from instructing in a 150 to Citation Captain/IP. She never heard of him 'til she met me in 2008 and I took her to OSH....just sayin' homebuilts are a different world.

Jim

Greg is correct, it's for CG purposes. You can extend it on the electric motor upgrade with people on board as well. Seen Cozys do it.

Velocity is a much larger aircraft and not quite as tail heavy therefore three wheel stance is ok for parking.
Never say never in home built, but, 99% of the VariEzes do not have the ability to carry the extra weight in the nose for a electric landing gear. mine has the "you crank it down" variety.
The reason you park the Vari on its nose is the CG is aft of the axels when the cockpit is empty, you lower the nose the fuel flows forward and brings the CG forward of the axels. Note the location of the fuel tanks they are forward of the axles when it's on its nose, not so when the aircraft is level.

Attachments

• 20160221_140321.jpg
    20160221_140321.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks @James331 and @Checkout_my_Six. So, what do you do when you wanna leave? Do you have to pick up the nose and extend the gear or can you just extend it safely? First time I saw one of these I thought it was broken...

Neat project @Tom-D though!
you simply hold the nose down as you exit, then reach in a raise the nose gear. and lower the nose. reverse the process as you enter.
You can not lower the nose gear when you are aboard. the crank mechanism isn't strong enough.

What's the problem with joining Face Book ? Face book is what YOU make of it.

Guys, facebook is a terrific source if you just stick to non-people pages. I use it for news, weather, warbirds, aopa, eaa, Voodoo, Rare Bear, Red Bull, etc, etc. Hundreds of cool pages without all the personal crap people use it for. Just a thought.
Tom, see you at Arlington this year on canard row? Usually fly out for dinner one night and bbq the next.
By the way, to clarify, the nose gear can be electric, like mine, and will raise and lower with the pilot just fine.

What's the problem with joining Face Book ? Face book is what YOU make of it.

In my opinion, two words... data mining. Not interested in debating it, but I will claim a minimal smattering of internet knowledge. I retired from doing computer forensics and on-line criminal investigations. Your mileage may vary. I'm not interested in debating it...did I mention that? Thanks!

Jim

Hard to data mine when nothing personal is entered....and it doesn't need to be. So they know your interests and location of your ISP, so what? Oh, except now they have my actual photo at left!

Hard to data mine when nothing personal is entered....and it doesn't need to be. So they know your interests and location of your ISP, so what? Oh, except now they have my actual photo at left!

There's more info than that and it's a lot easier than you think. Even usage patterns can be used to figure out things.

That said, I gave up caring about it for the most part, a long time ago. Computers are excellent at compiling what looks like unrelated data into quite accurate tracking systems.

Tom, see you at Arlington this year on canard row? Usually fly out for dinner one night and bbq the next.
By the way, to clarify, the nose gear can be electric, like mine, and will raise and lower with the pilot just fine.

That's what I love about the internet, you can get so many opinions, that forces you to dig deeper to see what is true and what is not. Do you have a Long or Vari? I was told by the previous owner to never try to lower the gear while aboard. (remember mine is manual)

In my opinion, two words... data mining. Not interested in debating it, but I will claim a minimal smattering of internet knowledge. I retired from doing computer forensics and on-line criminal investigations. Your mileage may vary. I'm not interested in debating it...did I mention that? Thanks! Jim
If you are worried about your personal info getting out there, don't put it out for grabs, or don't worry, it's already there.

There's more info than that and it's a lot easier than you think.
Did you e-file your taxes? IRS got hacked the hackers now have the personal info, including the bank account numbers for well over 750,000 IRS users.

Facebook is actually starting to suspend accounts of people when they don't think they are using their real names and birth dates, after Facebook tags your account, or someone "reports" you for possibly having a fake name, the only way to un-suspend your account is to send Facebook GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID. FB just loves increasing their creepy factor.

The officer in charge of my witness protection account has asked that I avoid Facebook. That's all I have to say about that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Facebook is actually starting to suspend accounts of people when they don't think they are using their real names and birth dates, after Facebook tags your account, or someone "reports" you for possibly having a fake name, the only way to un-suspend your account is to send Facebook GOVERNMENT ISSUED ID. FB just loves increasing their creepy factor.
Then you would simply start another page with another fake name and never friend anyone, and watch the V-EZ being restored.

Cozy is a much longer aircraft than the VariEze, think what that does to CG .

Cozy is a much longer aircraft than the VariEze, think what that does to CG .

Not sure what that has to do with my post. I was replying to 1. Why do typical canards sit on their nose and 2. That SOME canards use an electric motor to extend / retract the nose gear while people are on board. Like flyinggriki said above, I've seen several EZs do it. Have video of a Cozy extend with two full size adults up front.

Of course the best flying canard design doesn't have to park on its nose and bow down to anyone.

Back