The E in PAVE we don’t talk about

Despite claims, I don't think that there's much science behind that scenario - certainly nowhere near the science around fatigue and around stress.
You seriously don't think lack of nutrition effects your physical and mental performance? Okey dokey then, not sure how else to respond.

You seriously don't think lack of nutrition effects your physical and mental performance? Okey dokey then, not sure how else to respond.
Of course it does. But I've never heard of anyone saying, "I'm really hungry, but let's go fly for 3 hours instead." The point isn't that we don't need to eat; the point is we don't need a mnemonic to remind us too. Not in a country with about 75% of the population being overweight (and 40% fitting into the "obese" category)

Of course it does. But I've never heard of anyone saying, "I'm really hungry, but let's go fly for 3 hours instead." The point isn't that we don't need to eat; the point is we don't need a mnemonic to remind us too. Not in a country with about 75% of the population being overweight (and 40% fitting into the "obese" category)
I don't think that's what he was saying. He specifically said there's no science behind needing to eat.

Hmmm. While I have seen multiple official versions of of IM SAFE, I have only seen one of PAVE. Perhaps you can point to one with a different aviation meaning than the one in FAA's Risk Management Handbook ?
upload_2020-1-22_13-56-46.png

I guess some acronyms are more intuitive than others.....not that one. lol :D

btw....I have a rule, one one fat person per flight. That'd be me.....

I don't think that's what he was saying. He specifically said there's no science behind needing to eat.
Whoa! That's a far stretch from what I said, which specifically alluded to the scenario of skipping a meal, especially breakfast. As Mark says we have excellent stimuli to tell us when we're hungry. But we don't have good indicators for fatigue and stress.

A human and most other animals can function well for a long time without food, but not so long without hydration. And there is plenty of science behind the effect of fatigue on performance measures.

Blame the plane. It's too small. It can only really carry 2 people. If only her and you are still over the limit, you've got to still say no of course. It's just not a good time to fly, and leave it at that.

Blame the plane. It's too small. It can only really carry 2 people. If only her and you are still over the limit, you've got to still say no of course. It's just not a good time to fly, and leave it at that.
In this case, she’s flown in the plane before, and she knows I’ve lost a lot of weight since then.

Why not just tell her the truth? "You weigh too much for this airplane to get you into the sky" may just be the tipping point that causes her to make changes. Who knows? You may just add a few years to her life... Never was much one for puss-footing around, I guess. (yah, I know, but the stupid G-Rated filter changed it into ***** when the "y" was there. :p

Why not just tell her the truth? "You weigh too much for this airplane to get you into the sky" may just be the tipping point that causes her to make changes. Who knows? You may just add a few years to her life... Never was much one for puss-footing around, I guess. (yah, I know, but the stupid G-Rated filter changed it into ***** when the "y" was there. :p
The truth was we were ok. Should I have asked her weight? I still think I did the right thing estimating worst case rather than asking. If the numbers hadn’t worked out then I would have had to ask, and then possibly have that difficult conversation.
Anyone that thinks that wouldn’t be difficult is likely known to be a donkey already. ;-)

I presume you’re single?

:D

The truth was we were ok. Should I have asked her weight?

If you are good enough at estimating people's weight to get a job at the carnival sideshow and not give out a bunch of stuffed animals, then typically estimating is good enough so long as you use conservative numbers. Personally, if there is a passenger that has me at all worried or if the numbers push us close to the edge of the envelope, I will talk to them privately and explain the issue. No need to call them out in front of everyone, but a frank one-on-one discussion without any judgemental language could save a LOT of problems once you leave ground effect...

o_O

Back