That Guy...

Nobody has mentioned the morons in the right lane of the Interstate who don't MOVE OVER when someone does merge correctly, because they'd bother the speeders doing 20 over in the next lane over.

Almost every time I am on cruise control on a long stretch of interstate, there will be that guy who I pass and then who passes me over and over again. Senseless.

Dualing cruise controls. One holds speed better uphill, the other better down hill = constantly passing each other. You're both THAT GUY, Lol.

Nobody has mentioned the morons in the right lane of the Interstate who don't MOVE OVER when someone does merge correctly, because they'd bother the speeders doing 20 over in the next lane over.

That guy that moves over from the right lane and bothers me while I'm doing 20 over in the left :).

Also, that guy that absolutely HAS to swing out to the left to make a right turn, or vice versa.

Dualing cruise controls. One holds speed better uphill, the other better down hill = constantly passing each other. You're both THAT GUY, Lol.

Not the case at all. It's folks who are not on cruise control and who cannot maintain anywhere near a constant speed.

Ummm, what?

Nope, happens when it's completely flat.

That guy that moves over from the right lane and bothers me while I'm doing 20 over in the left :).

Also, that guy that absolutely HAS to swing out to the left to make a right turn, or vice versa.
Add in the guy who turns into the wrong lane when they have an apparent choice of two or more lanes. And then there is the guy who turns into the oncoming traffic lane when making a left turn.

Saw a funny one yesterday. Some guy making a right turn into my lane from a side street either didn't see me, misjudged my speed, misjudged his acceleration, or just didn't care. I braked to prevent an accident. Sure enough at the next corner some guy blows through the stop sign and pulled out immediately in front of the other guy. The guy who cut me off had to brake hard to avoid an accident. The guy who ran the stop sign? I watched him run the next stop sign we came to. Be careful out there folks, morons are trying hard to cause accidents.

Not the case at all. It's folks who are not on cruise control and who cannot maintain anywhere near a constant speed.

Nope, happens when it's completely flat.

Some folks just like to jack with people, I suppose. Their lives must be pretty dull if that's how they get their jollies.

The person that brakes when then see construction or police on the OTHER side of the median. It's unbelievable.

Ummm, what?
Exactly. I'm always going to be that guy who doesn't move over for someone merging on to the freeway unless its a truck or something that simply can't merge in at speed. If there's a half mile of empty lane behind and in front of me you should really be able to figure out how to end up somewhere other than next to my car.

You should move. Its dangerous there!

Yep....we had a really bad string of wrong way drivers a few months ago. Then there are the folks that can't figure out which is the gas and which is the brake and end up smashing into houses and storefronts...

The guy who steps in front of you to get on the escalator and then proceeds to ride it (instead of also climbing the stairs.)
I always thought that was the point. If I wanted to climb stairs, I would have taken the stairs.

Yes, one can insert a card prior to when the scanning is completed. In my opinion that is a really bad idea unless you want to stand guard on the card.
That won't work if you have a retarded cashier that presses the SUBTOTAL button after every 3 items.

Exactly. I'm always going to be that guy who doesn't move over for someone merging on to the freeway unless its a truck or something that simply can't merge in at speed. If there's a half mile of empty lane behind and in front of me you should really be able to figure out how to end up somewhere other than next to my car.
If it's busy I'll try to help merging traffic by either acceleration or deceleration. Lane change is last resort. That said it seems to be a Colorado thing that we all get to slow down for merging traffic regardless of which lane we are in. It's the only state I've been in that frequently has the left lane slowed or even stopped because of problems in the far right lane. In contrast I detest Houston but at least the traffic keeps moving.

If it's busy I'll try to help merging traffic by either acceleration or deceleration. Lane change is last resort. That said it seems to be a Colorado thing that we all get to slow down for merging traffic regardless of which lane we are in. It's the only state I've been in that frequently has the left lane slowed or even stopped because of problems in the far right lane. In contrast I detest Houston but at least the traffic keeps moving.
If it's really heavy I'll change speed enough to let one person in, otherwise I'm not going to speed up or slow down because as the guy on the merge ramp I hate when I plan to slide in nicely behind a car and they try and be 'helpful' by slowing down.

How about this scenario, cars stacked in the right lane, emptyish left lane, merging traffic trying to keep speed up while nobody makes a hole?

The person that brakes when then see construction or police on the OTHER side of the median. It's unbelievable.

Yesterday on the interstate I am behind a car doing the same speed. A group of sparrows flies across the road from right to left. The person in front of me goes into panic braking mode......

Yesterday on the interstate I am behind a car doing the same speed. A group of sparrows flies across the road from right to left. The person in front of me goes into panic braking mode......
Maybe the guy didn't want to end up like Sully:)

How about this scenario, cars stacked in the right lane, emptyish left lane, merging traffic trying to keep speed up while nobody makes a hole?

That's the scenario I was talking about. And usually the few in the middle lane doing 20+ over the speed limit to effectively block anyone who's not breaking the law from moving over.

Of course, yesterday it was a cop doing it. LOL. Because you know, doing 20 over is okay if you have buddies who won't pull you over OUT of district. Great example that ass was setting.

Of course, yesterday it was a cop doing it. LOL. Because you know, doing 20 over is okay if you have buddies who won't pull you over OUT of district. Great example that ass was setting.

The counterpoint to this is if the cop was driving the speed limit, he would effectively form a rolling roadblock with a gazillion "afraid to pass" cars bottled up behind him.

And he would be "that guy".

The counterpoint to this is if the cop was driving the speed limit, he would effectively form a rolling roadblock with a gazillion "afraid to pass" cars bottled up behind him.

And he would be "that guy".

And that's a problem, because? As the folks in the other thread are hollering, "It's the LAW!"

This place is a crackup. The same folks who'll scream and holler that tax evasion is a crime, will holler that driving 20 over is okay.

To them we say, "If you want the speed limit changed you should advocate for change, not be a criminal!" LOL.

In Charlotte, where I-85 merges with I-485 near the airport, we have this exact problem. Three lanes on 485 come to a screeching halt every morning due to merging traffic from the right and the reaction to it. Absolute stupidity.

They guy who sits in your blind spot when there is room to move ahead just a little. I worry when a motorcyclist does it since there is less of them to see to begin with, sometimes just their head and shoulders depending on what I'm driving.

If it's really heavy I'll change speed enough to let one person in, otherwise I'm not going to speed up or slow down because as the guy on the merge ramp I hate when I plan to slide in nicely behind a car and they try and be 'helpful' by slowing down.

YOU are THAT GUY! Traffic coming down the on ramp, wanting to merge in, has a big "YIELD" sign at the bottom of the ramp. Absent a clean merge opportunity, the guy on the ramp is SUPPOSED TO slow down . . .

The polite, helpful thing to do is move one lane right if it's clear; if you can't move over, keep your speed steady and they can judge if they're fast enough to get in front of you or if they need to slow down and get in behind you.

I don't understand why moving over is your last option, if it's clear to your left???

YOU are THAT GUY! Traffic coming down the on ramp, wanting to merge in, has a big "YIELD" sign at the bottom of the ramp. Absent a clean merge opportunity, the guy on the ramp is SUPPOSED TO slow down . . .

The polite, helpful thing to do is move one lane right if it's clear; if you can't move over, keep your speed steady and they can judge if they're fast enough to get in front of you or if they need to slow down and get in behind you.

I don't understand why moving over is your last option, if it's clear to your left???
You don't have to understand. That's life. If you really want to understand then study accident statistics.

You missed the point. I don't slow down when I'm in the traffic lane because it confuses the guy on the ramp. As the guy on the ramp I expect all the traffic to keep doing exactly what they're doing as far as lane and speed and I'm responsible for managing to merge properly.

I had a truck start to move over once when I was merging, I was perfectly matched to clear his trailer, check traffic and move into the left lane to pass him, of course because he was half way in both lanes I had to wait for him to pick a lane so I could go around him.

Somewhere else on this thread people ask why 3 or 4 lanes slow when there's only merging traffic in one, it's because they all expect the people in the lane with the merge to suddenly switch lanes and cause even more problems.

You know, I have to think that this thread explains the cause of that guy pulling out in front of me on the highways around here. They're so used to being coddled in freeway driving that they expect people to yield to them. I have no other lane to move to and I'm not going to slow down until I have to and have finished using my horn to explain how far a car goes when moving at the speed limit.

Then then blondie in the merging lane normally stops and waits for somebody in the 70-mph right lane to stop and let her onto the hwy.
Yes, absolutely completely entirely common here with the new calyfornyans. I think they wait for those silly traffic signals on the on-ramp to stop the hwy for them. :D

That guy driving his 18 wheeler at 56mph trying to pass the other 18 wheeler going 55mph on the two lane section of the interstate.
HOLY CRAP.. I deal with THAT guy every 2 weeks... I have to drive from Vegas to Baker to do a custody exchange with my ex..... I HATE TRUCK DRIVERS that do that... ESPECIALLY when I am doing 80+ and they whip in front of me to pass the 55mph truck.. F#^@#&*^&@#^@&^ Thanks Jim... You fired up my hot button

And that's a problem, because? As the folks in the other thread are hollering, "It's the LAW!"

This place is a crackup. The same folks who'll scream and holler that tax evasion is a crime, will holler that driving 20 over is okay.

To them we say, "If you want the speed limit changed you should advocate for change, not be a criminal!" LOL.

There's the law, and there's what's safe. If I'm in the fast lane and everyone is doing 85, I'll do 85 as well and keep a nice safe following distance (or move over a lane and do 75-80 mph). Otherwise, you're a pylon. Going the speed of traffic, even a fair bit above the posted limit, keeps everyone in line and minimizes lane changes/hero moves. I'll take my chances with law enforcement.

It seems there are a LOT fewer CHP patrol cars in SoCal in recent years, the result of budget cuts or whatever. Sometimes I wish there were more...to clamp down on the uber-aggressive sorts that routinely cross over the double-double yellow line into the HOV lane to make a pass. They don't call it the wild west for nuthin' :);)

There's the law, and there's what's safe. If I'm in the fast lane and everyone is doing 85, I'll do 85 as well and keep a nice safe following distance (or move over a lane and do 75-80 mph). Otherwise, you're a pylon. Going the speed of traffic, even a fair bit above the posted limit, keeps everyone in line and minimizes lane changes/hero moves. I'll take my chances with law enforcement.

It seems there are a LOT fewer CHP patrol cars in SoCal in recent years, the result of budget cuts or whatever. Sometimes I wish there were more...to clamp down on the uber-aggressive sorts that routinely cross over the double-double yellow line into the HOV lane to make a pass. They don't call it the wild west for nuthin' :);)

Nice rationalization for breaking the LAW, as the statists here usually say when talking about taxes. Don't you know this LAW thing is almighty? ;-)

Back