Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

We've just started toying with the idea of getting a Tesla Model 3. If we did, it would likely be a red Long Range model:

51797620250_b1a68f4762_z.jpg

We have absolutely no need for one. Our 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV is about to come out of the body shop after a deer encounter, has served us well and suits our needs. But…

1. I’m 72 years old and don’t know how many years I have left to enjoy what would be basically an extravagant new toy.

2. We can easily afford it, based on our current TSLA holdings alone, if that’s what we choose to use.*

3. If history is a guide, these cars depreciate very slowly, if we decide in a couple years to go with the Rivian R1T or CyberTruck we have deposits on.

4. If ordered now, they’re predicting a March 2022 delivery date for the model I’ve spec’d.

Then again, no telling what our TSLA stock will be worth in the future if we just wait. And it might make sense to wait at least a little while to see what incentives might be forthcoming in the Build Back Better Act or other legislation - right now there’s zero incentive on a new Tesla either from the Federal Government or the State of Tennessee.

We’ve looked at used Model 3’s, but at the inflated prices they’re asking it seems to make sense to buy new.

Like I said, just started playing with the idea. But that’s how these things usually start, right?

*They say the past is prologue. You may remember back in 2018, we had amassed 100 shares of TSLA @ around $217 a share. We had planned to buy a Model 3 if and when it hit $350/share, but when it did in late 2018, Tesla Model 3’s were still well in excess of $35,000. That’s when we sold our shares and bought our Clarity. They say you’ll never go broke taking a profit, so there’s that. And the Clarity’s been wonderful and efficient. So, no regrets. But, had we waited, our 100 shares today would have been 500 shares (after a 5 for 1 split in August, 2020). At today's price of $1,165, we would have had well over $500,000 to buy any damn car or cars we wanted, and had a lot left over! But who knew???

Last edited:
We've just started toying with the idea of getting a Tesla Model 3. If we did, it would likely be a red Long Range model:

51797620250_b1a68f4762_z.jpg

We have absolutely no need for one. Our 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV is about to come out of the body shop after a deer encounter, has served us well and suits our needs. But…

1. I’m 72 years old and don’t know how many years I have left to enjoy what would be basically an extravagant new toy.

2. We can easily afford it, based on our current TSLA holdings alone, if that’s what we choose to use.*

3. If history is a guide, these cars depreciate very slowly, if we decide in a couple years to go with the Rivian R1T or CyberTruck we have deposits on.

4. If ordered now, they’re predicting a March 2022 delivery date for the model I’ve spec’d.

Then again, no telling what our TSLA stock will be worth in the future if we just wait. And it might make sense to wait at least a little while to see what incentives might be forthcoming in the Build Back Better Act or other legislation - right now there’s zero incentive on a new Tesla either from the Federal Government or the State of Tennessee.

We’ve looked at used Model 3’s, but at the inflated prices they’re asking it seems to make sense to buy new.

Like I said, just started playing with the idea. But that’s how these things usually start, right?

*They say the past is prologue. You may remember back in 2018, we had amassed 100 shares of TSLA @ around $217 a share. We had planned to buy a Model 3 if and when it hit $350/share, but when it did in late 2018, Tesla Model 3’s were still well in excess of $35,000. That’s when we sold our shares and bought our Clarity. They say you’ll never go broke taking a profit, so there’s that. And the Clarity’s been wonderful and efficient. So, no regrets. But, had we waited, our 100 shares today would have been 500 shares (after a 5 for 1 split in August, 2020). At today's price of $1,165, we would have had well over $500,000 to buy any damn car or cars we wanted, and had a lot left over! But who knew???
From what I've seen, the only reason to buy used is to get one without waiting forever for it.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a delivery date only 3 months out for our build - if their estimate is accurate.
That's a long time for people used to walking into a dealership and leaving with a vehicle. But again, prices on used ones are so close to new, I don't see any other reason to buy used than being impatient.

Good choice. I have a Blue Model 3 Long Range.

The red looks sharp. I've never been a red car person myself but I like how they look. I've gotten tired of the white/black/silver that most cars on the road seem to be.

I think the long range is the way to go. The extra zip on the performance would be fun, the few times you floor it to scare, er ah, show your friends but the LR has way more power than you need so why pay so much more? Also, the 18" areo wheels are less expensive, get better range, give a better ride, and give better protections against wheel or tire damage.

You don't need the long range for daily driving but it comes in handy for road trips. Not because you're going to drive four hours non-stop but because you can keep the battery in the state-of-charge range where it charges the fastest (<80%). That minimizes your time spent charging was you don't have to wait for it to reach a high level of charge before you continue your trip. It also gives you a lot more flexibility if you're away from home and don't have overnight charging at the place you're staying.

How's your mobility? The only thing I don't like about the Model 3 is getting in and out of it. Same as any sedan, really. The Model Y would be a lot easier in that regard. I could certainly see going with the Model Y for the easier in/out access.

The Model Y also has a lot more storage and more room for the back seaters (in the 5 seat config) but it costs more and has a shorter range. I also think the Model 3 (sedan) looks better but I think I"m in the minority on that. In the end, the easier in/out wasn't worth the disadvantages for me.

3. If history is a guide, these cars depreciate very slowly
Yeah, it's pretty crazy what people are paying for used Teslas (and other cars) these days.

Many people are receiving their cars earlier than the initial estimate but it's hard to predict. Check out the production and delivery section on the TeslaMotorsClub.com forum for threads tracking current delivery times vs. estimates. It can vary quite a bit from one trim level, or color, or location, to another.

I ordered July 26, 2021 with an initial delivery estimate of "November". I took delivery on September 15.

I own a 2019 Red M3 Long Range Dual Motor AWD.

Love Love it!

In summer of 2019, I was quoted 3 month delivery.

However, working with the sales gallery crew at the Plano location, they dug around on the cars available and found the exact specs already built and in Denver. Some phone calls and computer gerfingerpokken and the car arrived at my driveway 3 weeks later.

The red looks sharp. I've never been a red car person myself but I like how they look....Also, the 18" areo wheels are less expensive, get better range, give a better ride, and give better protections against wheel or tire damage...How's your mobility?

I'm red/green color deficient, so I like my colors bright. Like jelly beans. Karen and I both think the red is worth the $2,000.

Agree that the stock wheels are more practical.

Mobility is fine for now. Still manage to clamber in and out of the Sky Arrow. Wife is also pretty nimble. We've often discussed a cross country trip in a Miata, so the Model 3 should be a piece of cake.

Upon consideration, I'll probably keep my TSLA stock. I'm kind of heavy into AAPL with a ridiculously low basis and big gains, and as much as I like the stock it might be time to lighten up my position in it, and take the hit on some Capital Gains now. Do I understand correctly that only $250 is needed now to order, with the balance due at some future date (on delivery?).

Do I understand correctly that only $250 is needed now to order, with the balance due at some future date (on delivery?).
That's it. The $250 is non-refundable if you cancel.

I paid with a cashier's check at delivery. They encourage you to pay electronically before delivery but I preferred to pay after I inspected the car. They don't accept personal checks.

That's it. The $250 is non-refundable if you cancel.

I paid with a cashier's check at delivery. They encourage you to pay electronically before delivery but I preferred to pay after I inspected the car. They don't accept personal checks.

Good. Maybe AAPL will go up even more between now and delivery.

Or down. You know my feelings on the Efficient Market Hypothesis.

Good. Maybe AAPL will go up even more between now and delivery.

Or down. You know my feelings on the Efficient Market Hypothesis.
Maybe you should pay for it in Bitcoin, depending on how you feel about crypto :)

A friend of mine just closed on his M3. Tesla's estimate was accurate. 3 months.
Tesla's estimate for my M3 was 8 months. Two days later they asked me to take delivery within the next 7 days. o_O

Tesla's estimate for my M3 was 8 months. Two days later they asked me to take delivery within the next 7 days. o_O
There were a lot of people deferring their deliveries hoping that the Build Back Better bill would pass with it's EV tax credit. That produced a lot of cars that became available with very short notice. Those cars didn't stay available for long.

Just pulled the trigger. Oh boy! Still shows March delivery, which is fine, but sooner's OK too!

Must be something about pilots and high tech toys!

I pushed this into 2022 for tax planning purposes. I guess I can always hope they make Build Back Better incentives (if any) retroactive to the first of the year. But I’m hardly counting on that.

Will do.

At both houses we have 240v 50A RV receptacles available, but not real convenient. But convenient enough we won’t have to spend a fortune for fairly fast charging, and at best we’ll just need an adapter.

At the TN house we have a handier 240v 30A outlet we use for our Clarity, whose charger only draws about 13A. Can the stock EVSE setup use that and know not to draw in excess of 30A? As an aside, it has two “hots” and a ground, but no neutral.

Also nice is that nearby Melton Hill Dam has 4 chargers available for free. It’s maybe 7 miles away, but handy to charge while we walk our dog if the weather’s nice. To date, I’ve never seen another EV using them.

Thanks in advance for entertaining novice questions!

Congrats Eddie. Feel free to hit me up with any questions too. I've had my M3 for just over a year now and absolutley love it.

You sold your Y and bought a 3?

At both houses we have 240v 50A RV receptacles available, but not real convenient. But convenient enough we won’t have to spend a fortune for fairly fast charging, and at best we’ll just need an adapter.

At the TN house we have a handier 240v 30A outlet we use for our Clarity, whose charger only draws about 13A. Can the stock EVSE setup use that and know not to draw in excess of 30A? As an aside, it has two “hots” and a ground, but no neutral.
You may know a lot of this from your experience with the PHEV, but... I type pretty fast. LOL

Level 1 charging is 120v AC. On a 15A circuit it will give you 4 or 5 miles of range added per hour of charing (MPH). On 20A, 6 or 7 mph. For most people, that isn't fast enough to replace what they use each day.

Level 2 charging is 240v AC. On a 30A circuit, you'll get around 22-25 mph, on a 50A you'll get 30-35 mph. This is what you want at home.

DC Fast Charging (Superchargers) are around 400V and up to 250 kW and can charge up to around 1,100 mph, when the battery is at a relatively low state of charge. This is what you'll use on road trips to charge and go.

The Tesla comes with the Tesla Universal Mobile Connector or UMC. Many people call this a "charger" but it isn't. It is a connector to hook your car up to an AC power outlet. For all AC charging, the car uses an onboard charger which converts the AC current to the DC voltage that the battery needs.

The UMC comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter which works with a standard 15A wall outlet. You'll need to order additional adapters for any other outlets you want to use from shop.tesla.com.

NEMA.jpg

The UMC can charge up to 32A when connected to a circuit rated for at least 40A (never use more than 80% of the circuit's rated capacity). The $500 Tesla Wall Connector can charge your car at up to 48A when connected to a 60A circuit. That will be a bit faster but few people need that extra speed. The only other reason to get the Wall Connector is that it can communicate with other Tesla Wall Connectors on the same circuit to share the charging load between multiple Teslas. Other than that, it's an expensive sparkly wall ornament (it does look nice).

Your 50A RV receptacle is likely a 6-50 or 14-50--probably the 14-50. The 14-50 is the most commonly installed receptacle for Level 2 charging and that's what I installed. The 6-50 will work just as well and may be less expensive to install because it doesn't need the neutral wire. The UMC, with the correct adapter, will charge at the same 32A rate on either the 6-50 or 14-50.

Your 30A outlet is likely 10-30 receptacle as the 14-30 includes the neutral.

The adapters cost $35, for the 120v, and $45, for the 240v adapters.

I bought the 5-20 and 14-50 adapter. I got the 5-20 because it'll work with 120V 20A outlets that are often found in garages and outdoor outlets on commercial buildings. For $35 I figured it was worth having. Since you have two locations, I would consider a second UMC which costs $275. That way you don't have to remember to bring it along when you are driving between homes.

Also nice is that nearby Melton Hill Dam has 4 chargers available for free. It’s maybe 7 miles away, but handy to charge while we walk our dog if the weather’s nice.
That is a destination charger. Some are free, others are not. A destination charger is Level 2 charging so you can expect up to 35 mph of charging. You'll also find destination chargers at restaurants and hotels. Those usually aren't free but they're convenient.

Non-Tesla destination chargers use the J1772 connector. Your car comes with a J1772 adapter for use with these chargers. The J1772 connector is how (almost) all non-Tesla cars do Level 1 and Level 2 charging in the US. I'd imagine it's what your Clarity uses.

Owning an EV involves a bit of a change in mindset in a couple of ways.

1. You charge at home, not at local "gas stations". You plug in your car when you're at home so everytime you go out the car is charged. The effect is that you generally aren't interested in charging stations in your local area as you'll never use them (of course, getting a few miles from a free destination charger is nice). What you need are Supercharges a couple-hundred miles from home in each direction. That's what you'll use when you take road trips.

2. You don't "top off" when you "refuel" like you do in an internal combustion engine (ICE) car. For most battery chemistries, you'll routinely charge to 80%-90% state-of-charge and only charge to 100% in preparation for a road trip. Over time, this practice will extend the life of the battery. The exception is the Tesla Lithium Iron Phosphate (LPF) battery that Tesla recently started installing in the lowest range Model 3 (previous call the Standard Range Plus). The LFP batteries are charged to 100% daily.

On a road trip, the best practice to minimize total charging time is to keep the battery in its state-of-charge range where it charges at the highest rate. That's typically in the 5% to 60% range. Over 80%, the rate of charge tapers off quite a bit as the battery can't accept the higher rates at high states-of-charge and because doing so extend the overall life of the battery. When you stop for charing on a road trip, instead of "filling up", it's more like flight planning. You'll charge to have your "burn" to the next stop plus your "reserve". In that way, your total trip time, and total charging time, will be reduced.

Congratulations on your Tesla purchase!

Do consider the higher volt wall charger. I have that and it's so simple to just plug in when home for the night. The hit on your electric bill is minimal if that.

One of my favorite car features this time of year is the scheduled pre-conditioning. I tell the car to be ready to go at a particular time. As that time draws near, it starts warming the battery system to optimum operating temperature and warming the cabin and seats. (In summer, it does the same idea, but turns on A/C).

One thing to investigate now is your WiFi coverage in the garage. With a good signal, the over the air updates can be easily downloaded and installed while you're not using the car.

Congratulations on your Tesla purchase!
Thanks!

Do consider the higher volt wall charger. I have that and it's so simple to just plug in when home for the night. The hit on your electric bill is minimal if that.

After 3 years with a PHEV, our standard routine is pretty well established. Most local driving driving rarely exceeds 40 to 50 miles. Even charging on a standard outlet will replace that overnight. Our 30A 240v would do in in 4 or 5 hours. Again, at both houses we have 240v 50A RV receptacles about 100’ or so from the houses, so if we need a faster charge it not a huge hassle to charge them there via an adapter:

42670864375_2a1fa79538.jpg

One thing to investigate now is your WiFi coverage in the garage. With a good signal, the over the air updates can be easily downloaded and installed while you're not using the car.

Both houses have garages, but our lifestyle doesn’t allow a car to fit, so they’re generally outside. We do have carports if really bad weather is forecast, and there’s room in the hangar for one car as well in a pinch.

Anyway, so go my thoughts right now. The practicality of our current setup may or may not translate well to pure EV charging.

From a recent Tesla owner, congrats! You will love it.

That delivery range will change frequently. Eventually, the range will start to shrink and become more accurate. At the end, it will come down to how quickly the truck makes it across the country and that seemed to be a bit variable. May car didn't arrive at the showroom until the day I was original set to take delivery. I don't think the individual trucks are tracked the way a UPS or Amazon shipment would be--at least that data isn't connected to the delivery estimate. That pushed me back two days from the original date.

If you are in the area of the showroom at which you'll take delivery, go in and ask them what they extension number is. When you call their "local" phone number, you'll end up in the queue for the call center. If you know the showroom's extension(s), you can call them directly.

I took delivery near the end of Q3. The lot, and their overflow lot, was absolutely packed with newly arrived cars.

That delivery range will change frequently. Eventually, the range will start to shrink and become more accurate. At the end, it will come down to how quickly the truck makes it across the country and that seemed to be a bit variable. May car didn't arrive at the showroom until the day I was original set to take delivery. I don't think the individual trucks are tracked the way a UPS or Amazon shipment would be--at least that data isn't connected to the delivery estimate. That pushed me back two days from the original date.

If you are in the area of the showroom at which you'll take delivery, go in and ask them what they extension number is. When you call their "local" phone number, you'll end up in the queue for the call center. If you know the showroom's extension(s), you can call them directly.

Good to know - thanks.

Our Tesla delivery/service center/showroom is only about 15 miles away, on the way to Knoxville. We do plan on checking it out soon to get the lay of the land there.

Good to know - thanks.

Our Tesla delivery/service center/showroom is only about 15 miles away, on the way to Knoxville. We do plan on checking it out soon to get the lay of the land there.
If you poke about the owner forums, you’ll find a list of items you should inspect before you sign the delivery papers.

Fit and finish quality has improved tremendously over the past three years. But some items still slip through.

If you find something, they will fix it.

One item to get and have in the car….

a set of jack pucks such as these: https://amzn.to/3pXneu0

There are particular spots under the car to lift it up to change the tire or do other service. If a place does it wrong, they can do damage to the battery case. Having the pucks with the car helps eliminate the chance of lifting the car improperly.

The other thing I got for my M3 that I really like is the tempered glass screen protector for the center screen. Got it from Abstract Ocean. Non-glare and east to keep clean.

Another was a set of mesh screens for the panoramic roof. Really helps cut down the heat transfer into the car during summer.

Well, a pleasant surprise!

51800318062_e5b6b51705.jpg

I ordered my wife a new car (Alfa Romeo) back in October. Easy sale with the remote high volume dealer after the local one really ****ed us off, and then made the mistake of ****ing me off a second time. But, 2 months, and as far as I knew Alfa hadn't even accepted the order. I was told 3-6 months but with supply chain and adding in Italy, I figured 6+.

Yesterday I got a message that the car is built, awaiting paint, and expected delivery sometime next month.

I think the smarter folks are trying to underpromise and overdeliver when it comes to tiemlines on these things, given how messed up supply chain is right now.

I think the smarter folks are trying to underpromise and overdeliver when it comes to tiemlines on these things, given how messed up supply chain is right now.

Lowered expectations can lead to pleasant surprises.

We’re in Greenville, NC to pick up our deer-damaged Honda Clarity from the body shop, almost exactly two months since the accident. With the messed up supply chain, and the Clarity being a VERY low volume unicorn with many unique parts - including one-off aluminum hood and body panels - I was honestly expecting it to take more like four months for the repairs to be completed.

Only fly in the ointment is we noticed a significant scratch on the door opposite the damage that wasn’t there before. Fortunately, Karen took a video of the car being pulled onto the flatbed trailer which shows that the scratch was not preexisting damage. Now just dealing with Progressive to let us get the car home to get that repair done locally - it’s about a 1,000 mile round trip from Knoxville and while we road trip well together, it’s not a drive we care to make again due to someone else’s negligence.

Oh, and congrats on the Alfa! If I ever delve into classic cars, a Spyder would be on my short list of lust-worthy alternatives.

Last edited:
Back