Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

I think we can determine that Kent really cares what other people think of 1) his car/airplane/food choices (I'm still going with him turning vegan so he has something else to tell people about) 2) the technology that he favors. ;)

So after reading through most of the comments here I sit and wonder what it was like when cars first hit the market.....
I'm not going to deal with having to find gasoline, that's nuts, that'll never catch on."

Hah! That reminds me of this: "Test drive of a petrol car" that's pretty funny and comes from the opposite perspective:

image.jpeg

Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging. A winning formula on paper – but how are they in real life?

We sat in the loaner car at the car salesman’s office. Automakers do not sell the cars themselves, only through independent car repair shops as middlemen. It may sound like a bad omen to buy the car from a car repair shop that you want to visit as seldom as possible. But you apparently can’t buy the car directly from the manufacturer.

So we sat in the car and pressed the START button. The car’s gasoline engine coughed to life and started to operate. One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should. The car actually has an electric motor and a microscopically small battery, but they are only used to start the petrol engine – the electric motor does not drive the wheels. The petrol engine then uses a tank full of gasoline to propel the car by exploding small drops of it. It is apparently the small explosions that you hear and feel when the engine is running.

The petrol engine consists of literally hundreds of moving parts that must have tolerance of hundredths of a millimeter to function. We begun to understand why it is car repair shops that sell the cars!

We put in a gear and drove away with a jerk. The jerk came not from any extreme acceleration, but gasoline engines apparently cannot be driven as smoothly as electric motors. The acceleration did not occur at all, because we could not get the car to go faster than 40 km/h! By then the petrol engine literally howled and the whole car shook violently. Convinced that something must have broken we stopped the car. The seller then explained that with petrol engines you need to “change gears” on a regular basis. Between the engine and the wheels are not a fixed ratio gear, but a variable one. The petrol engine can produce power only in a limited speed range, and must therefore be geared with different ratios in order to continue to accelerate. There are 5 different gears we can select with increasing speed as result. It is very important that each time select a suitable gear otherwise the engine will either stop or get seriously damaged! You need a lot of training to learn to select the right gear at the right time – though there are also models with automatic transmissions that can do this themselves. In the manual transmission car, we needed to constantly guard the engine from damaging it.

We asked if the constant sound of the engine could be turned off. But it couldn’t. Very distracting.

After getting the car up to speed through intricate changing of gears we approached a traffic light. Releasing the accelerator pedal resulted in no significant braking, we had to use the brake pedal very much to slow down the car. We were surprised to hear the brakes are completely mechanical! The only thing they generate is heat – braking gives no regeneration of gasoline back into the tank! Sounds like a huge waste, but it would soon get even worse.

When we came to a stop the engine continued to run and the car vibrate – even though the car was standing still! The engine continued to burn gasoline without moving the car forward. Can it really be true? Yes, the seller explained, it is so with gasoline cars: the engine is always running and burning gasoline – even when the car is stationary.

After a while we came to a gas station where we could charge the car. The car claimed that it still had half a tank left, but we wanted to try the famous super-fast charging of petrol cars!

So we drove to the gas station and opened the fuel cap. The filling nozzle is very similar to a charging connector, but it is not electrons that come out of it but gasoline. Gasoline is a smelly and flammable liquid that gets pumped to a tank in the car, which then drives around with about 50 liters of this hazardous liquid in it.

We put the nozzle to the car, but nothing happened. The seller then explained that we must pay to fuel! Much like those extremely expensive fast chargers some electric utility companies have set up. After we put the credit card in the reader we could start fueling. It was extremely fast! In just two minutes we filled the gas tank to the max! But there were two counters on the pump: one that showed the number of liters we have fueled and one that showed how much it would cost us. And that counter was spinning so fast that we could hardly keep up with its pace! Sure we filled the tank full in two minutes, but it did cost us an unbelievable €30! A full charge would thus cost us double that – a whopping €60! We cursed our luck that we apparently have chosen one of the most expensive gas stations, and began to ask the seller what other alternatives are there? How much does it cost to fill up at home, and how many free stations are there?

The seller looked very puzzled at us and explained that it is not possible to refuel gasoline cars at home, and there are no free gas stations. We tried to explain our questions, in case he had misunderstood, but he insisted that you can not. Apparently you have to several times a month drive to the gas station to recharge your petrol car at extortionate prices – there are no alternatives! We thought it was very strange that no gasoline car manufacturers have launched their own free gas stations?

There are no gas stations either where you can fill up more slowly at a cheaper price. We started calculating price versus consumption and came to the shocking conclusion that a petrol car costs unimaginable €12 per 100km! Sure, electric cars could also theoretically come up to these amounts if they quick charged at one of the most expensive charging stations in the country – but for petrol cars there are no cheaper alternatives! While electric cars are comfortably charged at home every night for €2 per 100km petrol cars must make detours several times a month to fill up at these extortionate rates – without exception! Monthly cost for a petrol car can -just for the gasoline alone- easily exceed one hundred Euros! We begun to understand why they are so cheap to purchase – operating them is extremely expensive instead.

We also begun to understand why there must be so many petrol stations everywhere, if all petrol cars always have to drive to them to refuel. Imagine if you could charge your electric car only at the power companies’ most expensive fast chargers – and nowhere else!

With this in mind we ended up in a traffic jam and was horrified that the gasoline engine continued to burn these expensive gasoline drops even when the car was standing still or moving very little. With gasoline vehicles it is easy to run into cost anxiety – the feeling that the car literally burns up your money! No cheap home charging and no regeneration of gasoline back to the fuel tank when braking sounds like economic madness – especially given that all gasoline must be imported from abroad.

We returned the car to the dealer’s premises, pulled the handbrake and step out of the car. The petrol engine continued to run! Apparently one must manually switch off the combustion of the precious liquid. But we wanted to see the petrol engine, so the seller opened the bonnet. The entire front portion of the car was completely cluttered with hoses, fittings, fluid reservoirs, and amid all a huge shaking cast iron block which apparently constituted the motor’s frame. There was no space for luggage in the front of the car! Despite its enormous size, high noise and vibration, the engine barely delivered one hundred horsepower. The engine was also extremely hot, we burned ourselves when we touched it. Even though this was on a warm summer day so the engine did not need to generate heat to the passenger compartment.

We became also worried about what would happen if we crashed with a petrol car? The cast iron block that occupied most of the engine compartment was sitting in the middle of the collision zone! Where would it go if we collided – would we get it in our lap? The salesman assured us that the motor in such case somehow gets folded down under the car but we could not escape the impression that the engine block was very much in the way at the front – the safety beams were built around it, which surely impairs their functionality. Avoiding that one hundred kilo iron lump in the front of the car makes it so much easier to build safe cars. In addition, we have seen on the Internet hundreds of pictures and videos of burning gasoline cars. The petrol tank apparently often leaks after an accident so the flammable liquid pours out and becomes ignited!

From the engine, under the car runs an exhaust system – a kind of chimney for engine exhausts. When you burn the gasoline a lots of noxious gases are produced. The car cleans away the most dangerous gases, but what remains is released into the open air behind the car. It is still unhealthy to breathe in – and smells very bad! And petrol cars are allowed to emit these harmful gases in the middle of our cities?

We thanked the seller for the display, shook our heads and gave back the ignition key (yes, it’s called that) to him. He realized that there would be no business for him so except for one lame attempt he did not try to sell us the car any more.

On the way home in our electric car we looked with completely different eyes at our poor fellow commuters, who still had to put up with their gasoline cars. But soon it will be their turn to trade up, too!

I think we can determine that Kent really cares what other people think of 1) his car/airplane/food choices (I'm still going with him turning vegan so he has something else to tell people about) 2) the technology that he favors. ;)

Food? And no, I'll never be a vegan.

You can think of me more as a "hater hater." I'm sick of hearing about "tiny Mooneys" when my 6'4" 300+ body fits great in one...

And as far as EVs go, I share because I greatly enjoy electric driving and I've found that most of the things that non-EV owners say about EVs simply aren't true. It's an experience that's so different from "normal" that it's hard to comprehend until you do it. I share my experience because I think there are a lot of other people out there who would enjoy it as well but have only heard from haters and FUDsters, and I would like them to hear about the good (and, yes, bad) aspects from someone who actually owns one.

I wouldn't tell someone they shouldn't buy or enjoy riding a motorcycle, and I'm glad you enjoy your gassers. As much crap as I give you sometimes, I get it - There is a feeling of power that comes with making a machine make noise. :D But I don't miss it the way I thought I would... Though that's probably partially from having a million miles behind a throaty turbo diesel, and nothing I'm going to pay to drive for a commute is going to give that same satisfaction.

Last edited:
Food? And no, I'll never be a vegan.

You can think of me more as a "hater hater." I'm sick of hearing about "tiny Mooneys" when my 6'4" 300+ body fits great in one...

And as far as EVs go, I share because I greatly enjoy electric driving and I've found that most of the things that non-EV owners say about EVs simply isn't true. It's an experience that's so different from "normal" that it's hard to comprehend until you do it. I share my experience because I think there are a lot of other people out there who would enjoy it as well but have only heard from haters and FUDsters, and I would like them to hear about the good (and, yes, bad) aspects from someone who actually owns one.

I wouldn't tell someone they shouldn't buy or enjoy riding a motorcycle, and I'm glad you enjoy your gassers. As much crap as I give you sometimes, I get it - There is a feeling of power that comes with making a machine make noise. :D But I don't miss it the way I thought I would... Though that's probably partially from having a million miles behind a throaty turbo diesel, and nothing I'm going to pay to drive for a commute is going to give that same satisfaction.

I'm over here like:

e6da6618a14ff7f285bb6ba754a544d7--jeff-bridges-gag.jpg

;)

Hah! That reminds me of this: "Test drive of a petrol car" that's pretty funny and comes from the opposite perspective:

That was funny! A great twist on the perspectives.

Yeah, who would want to buy a car that only does 40 km/h? My bicycle goes faster than that. Or one with the main measurement of distance is in kilometers. ;) Or have to pay exorbitant priced fuel in Euros, because the politicians want ever more tax revenues. Then it only has 100 hp? Hard to create enough CO2 to get the knickers of the greenies in a bunch with such a small engine. :D I was talking about deciding on the V6 Mustang convertible instead of the V8 GT with a co-worker one time. I said it was purely financial and I was far too sensible. It would cost more to buy, insure, get worse gas mileage and give me too many opportunities to get a speeding ticket. He said, "If you can't have fun with a 300 HP convertible with a manual transmission, you're not doing it right." :cool: I had to agree.

I was hoping the Mini Coopers would have a convertible EV model. But then what I read about their EVs wasn't good to start with, and they were not offering it in the convertible model. I was bummed. I was thinking a zippy little EV convertible would be fun.

On the one pedal thing. I found it it interesting but I very much prefer the way Audi did it. I don't want to use power right up to the instant that i want to slow down. With the Audi I can coast a long long way before using the "brake" pedal to regen. A much more efficient and I might add intuitive way to go.

@Brad W I found a way to coast in the Tesla... Kind of by accident.

The shifter stalk on the Tesla acts a lot like the turn signal one - There's a "soft" and "hard" push in both directions (the "hard" one goes past the "soft" detent and moves noticeably farther). When you're in D with Autopilot or cruise on, a soft push up disconnects Autopilot/cruise. If you hold it for a couple of seconds, it goes into N and will coast all day long, until you put it back in D with a hard press down at which point the regen comes back.

It's still not quite like the Bolt where I had 5 levels of regen available (none in N, then D, D+paddle, L, L+paddle), of which I used 4 frequently (everything but D+paddle), but it gives me a way to coast.

I'm still learning the touch for going back to driving when coming out of cruise/autopilot and not wanting to stop, but I've found that as long as I have any pressure at all on the pedal, the car doesn't react strongly when cutting off the automation.

Here's just another train load of clean coal to power Kent's Tesla going by my house:

View attachment 100564

:D

No, No, Electric Cars are exclusively powered by elecricity generated by PV plants. Those 'clean' electrons are completely different for all the other electrons in the conductor, they stay to the left and sign happy songs all the way from the PV plant to the Tesla's battery.

No, No, Electric Cars are exclusively powered by elecricity generated by PV plants. Those 'clean' electrons are completely different for all the other electrons in the conductor, they stay to the left and sign happy songs all the way from the PV plant to the Tesla's battery.

I hear those electrons are so clean that they even remove the soot left behind in the wires by coal-generated electrons.

We live next to a mainline as well, this time of the year 3/4ths of the trains are coal trains...

:rofl: You guys are hilarious. I don't really drive an EV for environmental reasons. I drive it because it's smooth, quiet, convenient, and really really fun! :)

But this map is generally the best source for comparing emissions between gas and EVs:

ucsusa_30220343.png

So, I'm at roughly 56 mpg, environmentally speaking. I don't think there are any gas cars that do that. A carefully driven hybrid could do that, but I don't drive carefully. ;)

Reactions: JEB
With regard to emissions, even when you are charging with electricity which was produced at a fossil fuel plant, the power plant is far more efficient at converting its fuel into electricity than a car's engine is at converting gasoline to power. 65% to 70% of the energy in the gasoline that an ICE car burns is wasted as heat.

With regard to emissions, even when you are charging with electricity which was produced at a fossil fuel plant, the power plant is far more efficient at converting its fuel into electricity than a car's engine is at converting gasoline to power. 65% to 70% of the energy in the gasoline that an ICE car burns is wasted as heat.

And even after the remaining 30-35% is converted to kinetic energy, a large portion of that is wasted as heat via the brake pads and rotors as well. On most EVs, converting all the way from kinetic energy through the motor to electricity, storing it in the battery, and then putting it back through the motor again is about 65-70% efficient so you get to use at least part of the energy repeatedly if you're starting and stopping a lot.

Of course, I'm a Mooney owner, so I went so far as to calculate what my speed gain was after converting my landing and taxi lights to HID/LED from halogen, so maybe I'm more concerned with such things than others might be. :rofl:

BTW, I did discover some of the other fun stuff they have in these that isn't directly related to driving.

First of all, there's a bunch of video games you can play on the screen - Both new stuff like Cuphead and Stardew Valley, and classics like Centipede, Asteroids, and Lunar Lander. But I think my favorite is Beach Buggy Racing, which you control by using the actual steering wheel and pedals of the car! :rofl:

There's also Caraoke, hundreds of karaoke tracks you can sing along with.

And of course, fart noises. Because Elon Musk is an overgrown eight-year-old. :rofl:

I've been giving people fun, fast, curvy rides around the big ramp when we have hangar parties, and even the biggest gearheads want one now... And I hope they all get them too! This kind of fun should be had by as many people as possible.

"Conventional drivetrain"? Do you mean "sissy stick" (i.e. automatic transmission)? ;)

Most people say they would hate to drive a car with a manual transmission in heavy traffic. They hate having to shift and use the clutch that much. I actually prefer it as long as the traffic is moving for the same reason you like the EV. I can accelerate so much more crisply. I can see a hole in the traffic, down shift, and then punch it when my car aligns with the hole. Yeah, the EV driver doesn't have to shift, but after 40 years of driving cars with manual transmissions it's just a natural process for me.
I counted 8 manual transmission cars I have owned, driven, and loved over 50 years. Never think that the EV is not LIGHTYEARS ahead of any ICE, manual or otherwise. There is NO COMPARISON possible. It is physics. With the EV, you have usable torque on the road while your gasoline engine is thinking about inhaling. And don’t think this is just for dropping the hammer- it is in everyday ordinary driving that my Tesla is a constant delight, long after driving my Porsche, Mercedes or Jaguar became boring. I can vouch for Tesla, it is really all that.

Excuse my ignorance...

I think I understand super charging is no longer free? What does it cost?

Do the older model S's still have free super charging? Is it transferable or only for the original owner?

Is the super charging rate the same everywhere or vary by local power costs?
My 3rd owner 2015 still good at the Superchargers, included with purchase. I bought from a private party.

The first flying I ever did was RC, electric. Before that, a friend who used to fly gas planes switched to electric, and was trying to get me to try. I'd ask him how long the batteries would last, and it was about 5-10 minutes. That was NiMH or NiCd. I told him I'd try it when it got to be about 20...and with LiPo it did. I was hooked. I didn't fly electric because I had to or I wanted to save the planet. Electric planes were quiet enough to fly at the local park. I could keep the plane and batteries in the car/truck. Maintenance was simple, reliability was great, and I could power off and and power on easily in mid-flight.

So I can see switching to electric if things come around to the point that it's a benefit over gas...and if the cost isn't too crazy. One thing that should happen with electric cars, though, is that we should be standardizing on components, and designing the cars to last as long as aircraft. Buying a new electric car every 5 years, or even 2 years, is just incredibly wasteful. There's no reason they can't last 50. Disposable technology and the concept of a constant revenue source for manufacturers is doing more to wreck the environment, in my view, than gasoline engines are.

This is the problem I have with EVs. When your warranty is up, you’re in uncharted waters as to how much a replacement battery will cost. Knowing how bad Tesla customer service is, it’ll be a long time to get that $22K batt replaced. And strangely enough, it seems like all these batts are failing just after the 8 year warranty. I know several on the Volt FB page that are getting charged $10-12K for an out of warranty battery replacement. Basically turns the car to junk because that’s more than it’s worth. Even a refurb batt will run $5-6K for a Volt.

Something to think about if you were looking to get a good deal on a used Model S like I was. I’m not taking the chance.
Hoovie makes stacks playing an idiot on YouTube.
ANY fancy car is going to be a risk driving out of warranty.
The batteries rarely “fail” as in oh suddenly I have no car unless I get a battery.
Show me ANYTHING that has had major engine or transmission work, I guarantee it was not “worth it”. You will be upside down on the value of the car. The question is, what will it cost to replace the vehicle. The idea you will go out and buy another turd for the cost of the repair is a fallacy.
I got a 2015 Model S 90D with new tires for half price 30 months ago. It is still worth what I paid. 2 more years of battery and drivetrain warranty. I will spot you that battery repair in my future, I will still be money ahead, and driving the best all the while. I would recommend you do the same today, but that ship has sailed. Everybody wants stupid money for everything nowadays.

While some folks are choosing high explosives….

Others are enjoying the Christmas 2021 light show that was part of the very large software update delivered on December 23.

(this is not staged. My Model 3 will do it)

Many other useful updates also provided. Also a big update to the UI on the main screen.

Hey Kent…. there is a new way to engage the drivers side heated seat. Single click the right steering wheel thumb button to go to voice commands, then say “My balls are cold.”

Many other useful updates also provided. Also a big update to the UI on the main screen.
Don't forget this useful functionality. My son showed me a video of a kid driving around Charlotte w/ his dad where the kid had changed the turn signal sound and the dad didn't know how to turn it off. For some reason, my son thought I would think this funny :)

Others are enjoying the Christmas 2021 light show that was part of the very large software update delivered on December 23.

(this is not staged. My Model 3 will do it)

What really blew me away is that they use the matrix headlights to project "TESLA" on any wall that may be in front of the car. I'd never even heard of matrix headlights until this, and supposedly they're just now becoming legal in the US, so I'm expecting that the use of them for regular driving will be enabled before long. Super cool.

And that's just one example of the car getting better since I got it. I now have a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats - Tesla puts the hardware in all the cars for simplicity of manufacturing, but those are only an included feature on the long range and performance trims. Since I only have the "standard plus" I didn't have those options... Until they offered a one-time $300 "Cold Weather Package" enablement. I made about three taps in my Tesla mobile app and as soon as I went out to the car it was already enabled. Slick.

Now I can also look at the cameras remotely from the app, and talk through the pedestrian warning speaker from the app too. I am DEFINITELY going to be pulling some pranks with this. :D

Hey Kent…. there is a new way to engage the drivers side heated seat. Single click the right steering wheel thumb button to go to voice commands, then say “My balls are cold.”

I prefer "Set driver's seat to three bacon." :rofl:

Don't forget this useful functionality. My son showed me a video of a kid driving around Charlotte w/ his dad where the kid had changed the turn signal sound and the dad didn't know how to turn it off. For some reason, my son thought I would think this funny :)

I have my car set to make fart noises when I honk the horn. Some of my friends have the right sense of humor and get a good laugh when I pull up outside their hangar and honk-fart. And in the rare occasion that I get road rage and honk at someone, hearing the fart afterwards diffuses my anger quite well. :D

OH!!! I almost forgot. They added something super-cool for us geeks: You can now make your own light show! They posted the software and instructions on GitHub, and someone created a repository where people can post the light shows they develop too. Still haven't figured out what I'm gonna do - Any ideas for a good aviation-related song that would make a good light show???

Last edited:
While I'm here... Might as well post an update. I've had the car for 2.5 months.

First of all - I'd been having back problems for a couple of years... And they're gone. The comfort and ergonomics are FAR better than the last couple of cars I had. I should sue GM for pain and suffering (kidding).

Second... I still love driving it. I'm sure @Ted will still say the noise is required for fun driving, but here's what does it for me: I now can drive because I *want* to. I no longer *have* to. So when I'm on another boring commute down the same boring stretch of interstate highway, I turn on Autopilot, relax and listen to a podcast, and just watch the world go by for a little while. When I'm going somewhere different, or on a more fun road, or I just plain FEEL like driving (which even happens on the interstate occasionally!), then I do - And the handling, cornering, acceleration, etc just make it a hoot. It had been a long time since I'd been able to really enjoy driving. I've had more fun driving in the last 2 months than I had in the previous two decades.

I've had two software updates so far. Both added a game (each) to the "Toy box". The most recent one was pretty big and not only added that light show above, but also allows customization of the UI. I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet though. Lots of complaints in the Tesla forums, some because change is hard, and some valid - Certain things were removed from the main screen that were nice to have, but it's a .0 of a major update so I'd expect they're listening to the complaints and will allow those things to be added back in via the customization on the next version.

Speaking of which - There are some problems with Autopilot, specifically "phantom braking". I have one of the newer cars that no longer has radar and is solely vision based. The software hasn't quite caught up to where they were with the radar + vision system, so sometimes, especially at night on a 2-lane road, it's far too cautious and will slam on the brakes if someone comes up over a hill coming the other way for example. But, most of my Autopilot usage is on the highway, where I've only had it slow down in very predicable spots - There's a couple of places where the maximum speed drops down on an interchange, I think because it's briefly interpreting its situation as being on a ramp. But, because Tesla actually updates all of their cars that are out in the wild already, this doesn't bug me that much because I know it's going to get better. If I had a car from another manufacturer that did this, I'd probably be pretty mad, because they'd be unlikely to fix it. And I still get great use out of Autopilot and am really glad I have it. Autopilot plus the comfort has made my commute almost enjoyable, where it was really bad before and used to leave me sore, tired, and grumpy.

I did also get to use Tesla's roadside assistance and service center... I got a screw in my tire on the highway and it quickly went flat. Tesla works with some local towing companies that are specifically trained on how to tow Teslas and I'm told often have spare wheels on hand to just put on and get you on your way until yours is fixed. Unfortunately they didn't have one of those this time, so they got me a tow truck and the service center fixed it the next day. Tesla also gave me two $50 Uber credits so I could get home and back to the service center to pick my car up. The experience went about as well as it could have.

I'm still not used to having a Frunk. The i3 had a tiny one but none of my other vehicles have. So, I haven't used it much... But it is mighty handy for keeping groceries cold while you're Christmas shopping this time of year, and it's nice to have a little additional cargo room, even though the trunk already holds far more stuff than the Bolt did.

I still haven't installed the official Tesla charger. I'm planning to do so before too long, and attach the cable to the ceiling of the garage and put a mount for the connector overhead so it's easy to reach from near the charging port. But, for right now dragging the existing one to the back of the car and using the included J1772 adapter is working fine.

/ramble

Congrats on the new car. I love Teslas a friend has one with the Ludacris mod. He took me for a spin and punched it...i thought we got rear ended when he did it took off so fast....want one but my 3 hour commute a day would likely kill the battery. Speaking of batteries, better sell it before the battery goes. Just like a cell phone that eventually quits holding its charge, I suspect in a few years we will hear of more electric car owners being ****ed off when they realize they have to change the battery out. Just going to drop this here for your enjoyment. https://nypost.com/2021/12/24/tesla-explodes-after-mechanics-charge-man-23k-for-new-battery/

I just bought a used S model. The driving aspects are so different. Acceleration is instant. Like a light switch. No planning, just press and go. The acceleration is one that makes your stomach ache if you get on it. Driving like a sane person, the quiet is very relaxing. I love the sound of a nice V8, but the quiet is decompressing and a great change of pace.

I have it scheduled to be at a temp when I leave the house, and again for when I normally leave the office. I can leave the heat on when shopping and not have to come back to a cold car. Or, heat/cool the car remotely if I drive for lunch.
I have the air suspension, and I can raise the suspension for high curbs or speed bumps, and then setting it to always raise at that location from then on. Small things like that are endearing.

I wish it had satellite radio, but otherwise, I cant think of a way to improve on the car.

There is at least one shop, with two locations, that will replace the bad cells instead of the entire battery. As more EVs are built and more of them get older, expect more shops and options for replacing bad cells instead of the entire battery pack.

The current battery packs have a design life of 300,000 to 500,000 miles. The upcoming 4680 batteries are targeting a design life of 1,000,000 miles.

While there will be some early failures, they should be the exception, not the norm. Most battery failures have been replaced under the battery warranty. 8 years and 120,000 miles for my car.

The Model S that was blown up had an 8 year/unlimited mile battery warranty. It was an early Model S, being produced about a year after the model's introduction. It had an older battery design and older battery management systems. I've been trying to find the mileage that the car had but I haven't seen it in any of the stories. Also, no information about how the battery was used over it's life. (A high proportion of Supercharging, vs. Level 2 home charging, will degrade battery life over the long term) So, lots of unanswered questions.

We do know that the owner scavenged the motors, and other high-value components, prior to blowing up what was left. He's likely sharing in the revenue from the video, too.

As Wayne said, there are very few shops that are servicing EV batteries today. As the fleet of old (8yrs and older) EVs grow, that will change and the cost of replacing bad batteries will drop.

I've also rebuilt two engines and rebuilt, or replaced, four transmissions in ICE cars in the years that I've been driving.

There is at least one shop, with two locations, that will replace the bad cells instead of the entire battery. As more EVs are built and more of them get older, expect more shops and options for replacing bad cells instead of the entire battery pack.

Yup. There's even one of those shops here in Wisconsin, which is not exactly an EV hot spot like California. We're not even a CARB state.

The current battery packs have a design life of 300,000 to 500,000 miles. The upcoming 4680 batteries are targeting a design life of 1,000,000 miles.

Supposedly, the LFP battery in my car will degrade to about 80% capacity in 750,000 miles. Even though I drive twice as much as the average American in a year, it's gonna take me 30 years to do that.

want one but my 3 hour commute a day would likely kill the battery.

That depends... Is your commute 3 hours 1 way?!? Per day? How many miles is it? (That is, is it 3 hours because of distance or traffic?) Are you in a part of the country that gets very cold in the winter?

If your commute is 3 hours 1 way on the highway with little traffic... Yeah, unless you can charge at work an EV is not for you.

If it's 75 miles each way but takes 3 hours due to either traffic or lots of time off of major freeways, then an EV would be great for you! Sitting in traffic uses next to no energy in an EV, while a gasser is going to be idling the entire time and still burning gas.

If you have 200+ highway miles a day AND you live somewhere where winters get very cold, well, you're back into the "it'd be better if you could charge at work" camp.

For what it's worth, I drive 78 miles a day in Wisconsin (where high temps have been in the 30s for a while), mostly on the highway doing 80, and I keep the cabin set to 70ºF. It's taking between 30-40% of the battery to do that with the base "Standard Range Plus" Model 3.

Speaking of batteries, better sell it before the battery goes. Just like a cell phone that eventually quits holding its charge, I suspect in a few years we will hear of more electric car owners being ****ed off when they realize they have to change the battery out.

Batteries keep getting better and cheaper, though. When the Model S came out, its battery cost Tesla something like $70,000. That has gone WAY down, since they're selling entire cars for far less than that now, with more range!

Batteries are also lasting a lot longer as the technology improves.

Yes, batteries can outright fail as well as degrade, but they have an 8 year 125,000 mile warranty on them.

Plus, as noted below, there are shops that will replace parts of the pack instead of the whole thing and as EVs become more and more common, so will those shops.

So basically, I have zero concern about battery replacement. It's pretty much FUD.

@flyingcheesehead ...

Did your M3 come with the PWS Boombox feature active?

I've discovered my 2019 M3 might be able to retrofit for this. Starting to consider it.

Be fun to have the sound of the Jetson's car or MPHG Coconuts going as I pull into the parking stall.

Maybe change the horn to have a voice clip with deep Brooklyn Accent, "Hey! I'm driving ovuh here!"

Last edited:
Supposedly, the LFP battery in my car will degrade to about 80% capacity in 750,000 miles. Even though I drive twice as much as the average American in a year, it's gonna take me 30 years to do that.

The problem isn't the whole battery pack dying, but rather a cell or two going bad and Tesla doesn't want to repair it. They just want to replace the entire battery pack.

Worse though is the car in the article had two bad cells and the repair coat was $5,000. I think they said it was around $23,000 for the whole battery pack. It wouldn't take too many cell replacements at that rate to exceed the cost of the whole thing.

That's going to be a bit expensive for most people to swallow. It could certainly dissuade many purchasers, worried that they could get hit with that. Probably more used car buyers as the car is closer to the end of, or after the, warranty for the battery. That would impact the number of buyers and the value / price.

Wayne

Not a pure EV, but we bought a Ford Escape Hybrid the end of October. We didn't plan on buying anything, but 3 days of meetings that started at 5 am followed by a trip across the state of Washington after the third day resulted in my falling asleep behind the wheel in the middle of the state and rear-ending a truck that was slowing down to make a corner. Air bags and other "features" of the 2013 Ford Escape saved us from serious injury. The car, however, was total wreck. A week later we bought a new car.

We looked at everything that the US car companies had to look at locally. One car we looked at was a US manufacturer and label, but the sticker said that it was made in China. Not on my nickel. Everyone except the Ford was missing the GSP option due to the chip shortage. The Fords all had it installed. We had a couple SEL trim package cars to choose from. One was painted white. It was less expensive than the one we got for that reason. Who in their right mind would buy a white car around here? White shows dirt worse than any other color, even black. We got the one with the dark gray paint job. Standard equipment on these included adaptive cruise control (not available in 2013) and lane keeping assistance (also not available in 2013). Heated front seats (which we have considered "got to have" since getting spoiled by our 2006 Jeep Commander) and a heated steering wheel (which I had never heard of until this car and now love).

I bought the service contract and extended warranty simply because I have NO experience with a hybrid car. Internal combustion engines and manual/automatic transmissions since learning to drive in 1968, I wouldn't have bothered with them, but... Time will tell if I wasted money on these, but with no experience to base it on I figured it was probably safer this way.

Fuel economy for the first 2500 or so miles has been significantly better than the 2013 Ford Escape. Mid 30s for overall mpg. Less than the sticker estimated, but given the wet roads we've had around here that's not surprising. We'll see what happens when things dry out a bit.

Someone commented previously that one car wouldn't do it all. Based on our experience, that is a true statement. We do most, if not all, of our local travel in the Ford. The Jeep Commander is still necessary when towing either the tent trailer or boat. The Ford is rated for a 1500 pound trailer (more if you don't have the hybrid version) and the tent trailer is rated for a maximum of 2500 pounds, the boat even more. However, the Ford burns far less gasoline, so it wins most of the time. Then there's my 1999 Jeep Wrangler. I really ought to sell it. 100 miles a year is probably a high estimate these days. It was my daily driver and commute car until we bought the old Escape back in 2013. About 38 miles a day for the commute. Now there is no commute (being retired is wonderful). Get everything fixed and sell it. Free up some space in the driveway.

I have a 2020 Escape hybrid. I'm seeing better than 40mpg overall after 2 years with gentle driving... better in the summer than winter but still better than 40 overall since mile 0. Colder weather lowers the mpg - duh (especially if you don't watch the tire pressure).

One thing I noticed is that the trip computer overstates the mileage by 1 to 2 mpg. The 40+ mpg number is actual, not what the trip computer claims.

I tracked the actual mpg of our Clarity on a long road trip. It got about 42 mpg on average, which is great for a car this size. Significant was that the car overestimated mpg by a fairly consistent 12%.

Since I assume they’re capable of better accuracy, my assumption is that it’s intentional - and fraudulent.

I bought the service contract and extended warranty

We have noticed that your service contract is about to expire. For only $495.00 bucks we can extend that service contract for you....

Just getting you ready for the many, many phone calls and letters that you will be receiving soon... :lol::lol:

We have noticed that your service contract is about to expire. For only $495.00 bucks we can extend that service contract for you....

Just getting you ready for the many, many phone calls and letters that you will be receiving soon... :lol::lol:

and many of those (if not all) will be scams but will use the Ford logo and look quite legit.

and many of those (if not all) will be scams but will use the Ford logo and look quite legit.

All all will be ignored. :) I've received many calls and emails over the years and all have been ignored. This will be no different.

As an Ecoboost F150 owner I must say I'm impressed with the "Lightning". That being said, I believe that an owner should go ahead and anticipate that the states and feds will collect a road tax on EV's that will be equal or greater than the current rate. My calculation is that state and federal tax in South Carolina is about .44 cents per gallon. So a vehicle that gets 20 miles per gallon pays about 2.2 cents per mile in taxes. Eventually EV owners will have to pay up.

Well, SC tacked on a $100 hybrid fee to my Prius registration every year I owned it. Plus I was paying gas taxes to boot. “They” get their tax revenues one way or another. Can’t wait to see what they tack on to my Volt. At least I can drive it more on battery.

Not a pure EV, but we bought a Ford Escape Hybrid the end of October. We didn't plan on buying anything, but 3 days of meetings that started at 5 am followed by a trip across the state of Washington after the third day resulted in my falling asleep behind the wheel in the middle of the state and rear-ending a truck that was slowing down to make a corner. Air bags and other "features" of the 2013 Ford Escape saved us from serious injury. The car, however, was total wreck. A week later we bought a new car.

We looked at everything that the US car companies had to look at locally. One car we looked at was a US manufacturer and label, but the sticker said that it was made in China. Not on my nickel. Everyone except the Ford was missing the GSP option due to the chip shortage. The Fords all had it installed. We had a couple SEL trim package cars to choose from. One was painted white. It was less expensive than the one we got for that reason. Who in their right mind would buy a white car around here? White shows dirt worse than any other color, even black. We got the one with the dark gray paint job. Standard equipment on these included adaptive cruise control (not available in 2013) and lane keeping assistance (also not available in 2013). Heated front seats (which we have considered "got to have" since getting spoiled by our 2006 Jeep Commander) and a heated steering wheel (which I had never heard of until this car and now love).

I bought the service contract and extended warranty simply because I have NO experience with a hybrid car. Internal combustion engines and manual/automatic transmissions since learning to drive in 1968, I wouldn't have bothered with them, but... Time will tell if I wasted money on these, but with no experience to base it on I figured it was probably safer this way.

Fuel economy for the first 2500 or so miles has been significantly better than the 2013 Ford Escape. Mid 30s for overall mpg. Less than the sticker estimated, but given the wet roads we've had around here that's not surprising. We'll see what happens when things dry out a bit.

Someone commented previously that one car wouldn't do it all. Based on our experience, that is a true statement. We do most, if not all, of our local travel in the Ford. The Jeep Commander is still necessary when towing either the tent trailer or boat. The Ford is rated for a 1500 pound trailer (more if you don't have the hybrid version) and the tent trailer is rated for a maximum of 2500 pounds, the boat even more. However, the Ford burns far less gasoline, so it wins most of the time. Then there's my 1999 Jeep Wrangler. I really ought to sell it. 100 miles a year is probably a high estimate these days. It was my daily driver and commute car until we bought the old Escape back in 2013. About 38 miles a day for the commute. Now there is no commute (being retired is wonderful). Get everything fixed and sell it. Free up some space in the driveway.

I bought a Ford Fusion with the plug in hybrid drivetrain in 2014. Last month, at 97,000 miles, it needed its first repair, a coil pack. It's been by far the most reliable car I've ever owned, and also the lowest running cost vehicle I've ever owned. With the cruise set at 75, it gets 37 mpg, in town, it's in the low 40s and on electricity, fuel costs are around 3-4 cents per mile, depending on the time of year.

Back