Tesla Model 3 - Finally.

From what I understand, battery supply (the raw materials more specifically) will lag demand for quite some time. If true, I'm thinking higher prices more likely.

Could be. But battery technology continues to advance, albeit incrementally. Hopefully replacement batteries may be able to take advantage of those advances, in more capacity, lighter weight and/or lower prices. And there may be a growing market for partially depleted EV batteries for other applications or recycling. We’ll just have to see.

There's no reason to expect that it will fail. The battery should outlast the car before they wear out from too many cycles. A few will fail early, but that's true with any car.

The problem has been with an individual cell or two failing, and Tesla not wanting to do repairs or charging almost the amount of a new battery to repair it. Hopefully there will be a host of EV battery repair shops that can repair a few bad cells/components to keep the whole pack from being tossed.

The problem has been with an individual cell or two failing, and Tesla not wanting to do repairs or charging almost the amount of a new battery to repair it. Hopefully there will be a host of EV battery repair shops that can repair a few bad cells/components to keep the whole pack from being tossed.

So the exhaust/oil change places will be replaced with battery repair places.

So the exhaust/oil change places will be replaced with battery repair places.
Maybe, eventually. And Autozone will need to update it's stock. Maybe sell aftermarket batteries better than the original ones installed in the cars.

Good to be realistic! Hopefully, the growing market for EV and hybrid battery replacements will gradually drive down prices.

The one thing that was pushing me towards a new Model 3, is the warranty. About $10K more and I’d have a basic Model 3 and a warranty to cover a battery failure. With my car, I’m rolling the dice. I will say though, the drive unit is quiet and the batt still charges to a normal range so it seems for now I’m good. I took out a red Model S P85 and I could hear the wine under acceleration. I’m no expert by any means but it sounded like the typical “milling” that occurs just before DU failure.

Picked mine up from the dealer today and drove it home. Very smooth and quiet, no rattles and squeaks that I’ve heard are common with Teslas. Super fun car to drive. First car I’ve had with nav in the dash…love it!

E6424F7F-91C3-455C-B585-AFC8C4D9BC82.jpeg F4F3536B-FCD1-4C72-B8C2-58A4005E3F7C.jpeg

Congrats! That's a gorgeous color.

Congrats! That's a gorgeous color.

Thanks. It’s like like an airplane though, looks good in pics but up close… ;) For 114,000 miles I suppose it’s in decent shape.

Someday I’d like to buy new but until these EV companies get the price down to the upper 20s, low 30s, it’s never gonna be widely adopted. Right now I’m actually watching the new Jay Leno’s Garage on the new EV Lucid. Beautiful car but now way the masses are shelling out $70K for a base model.

There's no reason to expect that it will fail. The battery should outlast the car before they wear out from too many cycles. A few will fail early, but that's true with any car.

I hope so. It’s my understanding that a lot of owners were always charging to max 100 % (trip) vs daily (80 %) and that failed some prematurely.

They must have at least some level of parts bin engineering going on. That's a Mercedes Benz column shift stalk from that era. My wife's GL550 had that same mechanism. :)

Thanks. It’s like like an airplane though, looks good in pics but up close… ;) For 114,000 miles I suppose it’s in decent shape.

I'm surprised to see one with that high of miles to be honest, but hopefully the higher miles and frequent use has been a good thing for the batteries.

Someday I’d like to buy new but until these EV companies get the price down to the upper 20s, low 30s, it’s never gonna be widely adopted. Right now I’m actually watching the new Jay Leno’s Garage on the new EV Lucid. Beautiful car but now way the masses are shelling out $70K for a base model.

When you look at the prices of new vehicles these days and what people are spending all around, I think it's pretty crazy. The prices of a Tesla Model 3 aren't higher (probably lower) than you'd pay for an F-150 or the like. There are/have been cheaper electric cars out there that are closer to the price of their ICE equivalents (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt come to mind). With most automotive technologies (and really most technology in general if you look at history), they start out at the high end models of that manufacturer's market and trickle down from there as the bugs get worked out and they can be made for cheaper. So the fact that the current successful EVs are more on the luxury end doesn't surprise me. As I recall, Tesla started out with the S and then the X, and then made the more affordable 3. It wouldn't surprise me if they start to move more into the compact segment later.

There's a lot to be said for this model and doing it intentionally. Having a small volume makes it easier to handle repairs if there's a problem and gives you a platform to learn on while you work on the mass market items which need to work for millions. In Tesla's case, this is compounded by needing to build/drive demand to build a nationwide infrastructure of charging stations that doesn't happen overnight. Really, it's not a bad way to go.

I still don't want one. But nice car. :)

They must have at least some level of parts bin engineering going on. That's a Mercedes Benz column shift stalk from that era. My wife's GL550 had that same mechanism. :)

I'm surprised to see one with that high of miles to be honest, but hopefully the higher miles and frequent use has been a good thing for the batteries.

When you look at the prices of new vehicles these days and what people are spending all around, I think it's pretty crazy. The prices of a Tesla Model 3 aren't higher (probably lower) than you'd pay for an F-150 or the like. There are/have been cheaper electric cars out there that are closer to the price of their ICE equivalents (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt come to mind). With most automotive technologies (and really most technology in general if you look at history), they start out at the high end models of that manufacturer's market and trickle down from there as the bugs get worked out and they can be made for cheaper. So the fact that the current successful EVs are more on the luxury end doesn't surprise me. As I recall, Tesla started out with the S and then the X, and then made the more affordable 3. It wouldn't surprise me if they start to move more into the compact segment later.

There's a lot to be said for this model and doing it intentionally. Having a small volume makes it easier to handle repairs if there's a problem and gives you a platform to learn on while you work on the mass market items which need to work for millions. In Tesla's case, this is compounded by needing to build/drive demand to build a nationwide infrastructure of charging stations that doesn't happen overnight. Really, it's not a bad way to go.

I still don't want one. But nice car. :)

Yeah Lucid is also following the Tesla model of starting high end and trickling down as well. They admit, it’s for a small segment of the population but what they learn from the car will make future versions cheaper.

I was talking to a salesman at the dealer and we were pondering the future of EVs. While they’re in the rise, I think we’ll always have those that enjoy the noise and tinker with ICE vehicles. Just can’t imagine an all EV Corvette. Even with the added expense and completely, at least on the sports car end, ICE will survive. Until the government forces me to switch it out with an EV, my Delorean will have the mighty 130 HP PRV V6…of course with a 5 speed. ;)

What the upper 20's gets you in a new car is a decently equipped compact sedan, a stripper mid sized sedan, or a decently equipped subcompact crossover. Low 30's gets you a midline mid size sedan or compact crossover.

I was talking to a salesman at the dealer and we were pondering the future of EVs. While they’re in the rise, I think we’ll always have those that enjoy the noise and tinker with ICE vehicles. Just can’t imagine an all EV Corvette. Even with the added expense and completely, at least on the sports car end, ICE will survive. Until the government forces me to switch it out with an EV, my Delorean will have the mighty 130 HP PRV V6…of course with a 5 speed. ;)

I don't see any kind of mandate becoming realistic to convert vehicles from gasoline/diesel to electric. I also don't see infrastructure shifting in my lifetime to the point where it's no longer practical to run an ICE engine on the road. I think there's too many hurdles about an infrastructure that's been in development for too long for that much of a shift that quickly. But in my kids' or grandkids' (should they exist one day) lifetime? Potentially.

At a desire level, I think the correlation is probably not much different to that between cars vs. horses. There was a segment of the population that loved horses, and those are the people who, today, still have horses. I think GM proved with the C8 moving to mid-engine and no proper manual transmission option (only the dual-clutch transmission) that they'll move Corvette in the direction they think is necessary to maximize performance potential and sales to the market who buys Corvettes, and that doesn't necessarily mean catering to the the purists and avoiding controversy. That's a strong contrast to, say Harley Davidson, who essentially makes the same motorcycles with minor changes, caters to the purists, and seems to be losing market share yearly.

People like me will always want to play around with engines (although I don't like carburetors and I do prefer coil on plug or otherwise distributorless ignition), but most people just want a car that gets them from A to B reliably and with minimal fuss and aren't too picky on a lot of the details. It's why manual transmissions aren't hardly available anymore, to the dismay of people like me. But I think ultimately the new vehicles on the market will be driven by government regulation and what people like or perceive as easier/more reliable and more meeting their wants. As long as people think EVs are more reliable, think of "green" as a value and consider EVs green, and government mandates push vehicles more and more in that direction, it's probably unlikely that it will stop heading that way. And if history is any indication, government mandates won't be based on what impact it has on pricing (just look at what emissions and safety equipment/tests have done to car prices), the consumer will just have to pay for it in the end.

I don't see any kind of mandate becoming realistic to convert vehicles from gasoline/diesel to electric. I also don't see infrastructure shifting in my lifetime to the point where it's no longer practical to run an ICE engine on the road. I think there's too many hurdles about an infrastructure that's been in development for too long for that much of a shift that quickly. But in my kids' or grandkids' (should they exist one day) lifetime? Potentially.

At a desire level, I think the correlation is probably not much different to that between cars vs. horses. There was a segment of the population that loved horses, and those are the people who, today, still have horses. I think GM proved with the C8 moving to mid-engine and no proper manual transmission option (only the dual-clutch transmission) that they'll move Corvette in the direction they think is necessary to maximize performance potential and sales to the market who buys Corvettes, and that doesn't necessarily mean catering to the the purists and avoiding controversy. That's a strong contrast to, say Harley Davidson, who essentially makes the same motorcycles with minor changes, caters to the purists, and seems to be losing market share yearly.

People like me will always want to play around with engines (although I don't like carburetors and I do prefer coil on plug or otherwise distributorless ignition), but most people just want a car that gets them from A to B reliably and with minimal fuss and aren't too picky on a lot of the details. It's why manual transmissions aren't hardly available anymore, to the dismay of people like me. But I think ultimately the new vehicles on the market will be driven by government regulation and what people like or perceive as easier/more reliable and more meeting their wants. As long as people think EVs are more reliable, think of "green" as a value and consider EVs green, and government mandates push vehicles more and more in that direction, it's probably unlikely that it will stop heading that way. And if history is any indication, government mandates won't be based on what impact it has on pricing (just look at what emissions and safety equipment/tests have done to car prices), the consumer will just have to pay for it in the end.
The kings decree

I read an article recently where the author said kids born 2022 would never drive an ICE car as they largely won't be around.

I think the author was extrapolating too much, but directionally correct. Depending upon your age, I think you'll see ICE cars becoming rather expensive to own and operate in your lifetime. Not impossible, but less and less common. They'll be pushed more to where EVs don't work as well. Rural areas, especially colder rural areas, will see ICE vehicles the longest. Those in urban and more warmer climates will move to EVs quicker.

BP has said that fast chargers are approaching being more profitable than gasoline pumps.

I agree, there will be people that have ICE cars for a very long time. We still have horses and sailboats. We just don't use either for transportation any more; not as a society.

EVs will continue to be driven by environment concerns; real, imagined or fabricated. As prices come down on the batteries the economics will take over. The big challenge will be for those living in apartments and condos, although not as much for condo owners. That will be the set-up for charging at home and how the electricity is billed to the car's owner. For those with a private garage it will be much more straightforward to charge at home.

No, I don't drive a Tesla, nor any other EV. I drive a Convertible Mustang with a 6-speed manual transmission. I bought it because I wanted another convertible, and one with a manual transmission. I've owned one car and one pick-up truck (old yard-truck for doing work around the house) that had automatic transmissions. The rest had manual transmissions. I don't love working on them as much as you do, but I grew up working on them from necessity and can do it. I love driving a manual transmission, even in traffic.

That said I see my next car being an EV. They do everything I need and more. I drove my car a whopping 5,500 miles last year; even less in 2020. Yes, those are pandemic years with no commuting to the office, but even with commuting I put only 7,000-8000 miles a year on my car at most. If we go far we fly, whether that's private or commercial. I can charge up at home in our garage, nightly if needed. No trips to the gas station, just get in the car and go.

The biggest problem would be for the rare, for me, driving trip. Even then we will have one ICE car, at least for a little while, so would could use that option for a while. The EV I'm currently looking at is the Kia EV6 which will recharge from 10%-80% in 18 minutes on a 350 kW fast charger. Not as fast as a gas pump, but long enough for bathroom breaks and picking up some more drinks/snacks. My driving is so limited that I would expect the battery to last far longer than I'll own the car. Plus the vast majority of my charging will be on 220v at home, which is the least damaging to the battery. The high power charging will be rare for me.

It's why manual transmissions aren't hardly available anymore, to the dismay of people like me.

Me, too. We’ve frequently toyed with the idea of a used Miata, and a manual would be de rigeur for that sports car feel. Which an automatic would diminish immensely.

I read an article recently where the author said kids born 2022 would never drive an ICE car as they largely won't be around.

I think the author was extrapolating too much, but directionally correct. Depending upon your age, I think you'll see ICE cars becoming rather expensive to own and operate in your lifetime. Not impossible, but less and less common. They'll be pushed more to where EVs don't work as well. Rural areas, especially colder rural areas, will see ICE vehicles the longest. Those in urban and more warmer climates will move to EVs quicker.

I'd say that is likely reasonable. But I think the more likely direction in my lifetime would be similar to having a car today that's either diesel or E85 - harder to find, fewer stations, but still perfectly usable.

I agree, there will be people that have ICE cars for a very long time. We still have horses and sailboats. We just don't use either for transportation any more; not as a society.

EVs will continue to be driven by environment concerns; real, imagined or fabricated. As prices come down on the batteries the economics will take over. The big challenge will be for those living in apartments and condos, although not as much for condo owners. That will be the set-up for charging at home and how the electricity is billed to the car's owner. For those with a private garage it will be much more straightforward to charge at home.

I think that's part of where I see the infrastructure issue. Anyone with a garage attached to their home will have an easy time. I already have 220 power in the house garage and in the shop, so it would be nothing to plug in a car with what I already have. People without garages who park outside of their houses will be one step down, since they'll both have the outside weather to deplete charge and need to do something for power (and most houses only have 110 outlets outside). Thinking about the dense urban areas with street parking (like NYC where I grew up), people who pay for parking garages will probably be able to have this accounted for as those can work to add power, but I don't see parking on the street having that option in the near future. Big city infrastructure is the biggest and also in many ways hardest to change.

Then you have the other extreme of applications like over the road trucking. Trucks could definitely benefit from a hybrid setup (replace Jake brakes with regen braking), but that's a big challenge. Farming, similar - big tractors running all day burn a lot of fuel, hard to deal with charging in the literal field quickly during planting or harvest season.

Time will tell. But, I will be a holdout as long as possible.

I hope so. It’s my understanding that a lot of owners were always charging to max 100 % (trip) vs daily (80 %) and that failed some prematurely.
Most EV batteries will never fail. They will wear out. Two very different things.

The design life of your car's battery is 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Charging patterns have a big impact on that. The car's battery management system manages the charging, discharging, and temperature control of the batteries to maximize battery life. End-of-life will be when the battery no longer hold sufficient charge for normal driving. The relatively few very high mileage Teslas have done very well on battery life and retention of range.

A few batteries will fail. They'll stop working normally over a relatively short period of time. That isn't a normal part of the battery's life cycle, it is a failure. A breakdown. There's no reason to expect that your battery will ever fail. It's possible, of course; but it's unlikely.

A failure would be like a car's engine throwing a rod or having a cracked block. It can happen, but it's not something that you expect from an engine that has been reasonably maintained.

I think that's part of where I see the infrastructure issue. Anyone with a garage attached to their home will have an easy time. I already have 220 power in the house garage and in the shop, so it would be nothing to plug in a car with what I already have. People without garages who park outside of their houses will be one step down, since they'll both have the outside weather to deplete charge and need to do something for power (and most houses only have 110 outlets outside). Thinking about the dense urban areas with street parking (like NYC where I grew up), people who pay for parking garages will probably be able to have this accounted for as those can work to add power, but I don't see parking on the street having that option in the near future. Big city infrastructure is the biggest and also in many ways hardest to change.

I've seen some options, but not sure about costs and how much they've been done. There are street charging systems. Something that would be put up where parallel parking is done. Some of the options drop down into the ground when not being used. To me that dropping/popping-up is just more sh*t to break. The theory is it makes it harder for someone to hit one that is not in use when parking poorly, and to provide more sidewalk space when not in use. Meh. If the cities put in the infrastructure, or allow some third party to do it, then that would certainly help in those locations.

But you are spot on with them being out in the weather, which doesn't help. Doesn't help the battery or the rest of the car. I've sold my cars myself and people are always surprised at how good they look for their age. That's because they are largely out just while driving and a little at the store. At home they were in the garage, at work in a parking deck, so far less sun damage.

The two biggest challenges for those renting apartments will be 1) EV cost, 2) charging at home. Although I am surprised at the number of pricey ICE cars I see at apartment complexes. o_O

Then you have the other extreme of applications like over the road trucking. Trucks could definitely benefit from a hybrid setup (replace Jake brakes with regen braking), but that's a big challenge. Farming, similar - big tractors running all day burn a lot of fuel, hard to deal with charging in the literal field quickly during planting or harvest season.

Yeah, I don't get the Tesla semi thing. The current battery tech is not up for that. Maybe short-haul, i.e. local but heavy. Maybe. But not long haul. Same for the big tractors and harvesters. Not sure how batteries are going to work for something that runs all day long out in the middle of a field.

Time will tell. But, I will be a holdout as long as possible.

My guess is the first step into EV mandates will be at a regional/metro level. Much like the ATL-area required emissions inspection. Inspection is only required in the counties in the ATL metro area - one more county away and we wouldn't have to do emissions (and I would still have my Waggy!!). They'll come up with some sort of 'non-EV green tax' that will get tacked onto non-EV vehicles in certain regions which in essence is a backhanded mandate, at which point I will get serious about looking for land in MT/ID/WY area. :)

My guess is the first step into EV mandates will be at a regional/metro level. Much like the ATL-area required emissions inspection. Inspection is only required in the counties in the ATL metro area - one more county away and we wouldn't have to do emissions (and I would still have my Waggy!!). They'll come up with some sort of 'non-EV green tax' that will get tacked onto non-EV vehicles in certain regions which in essence is a backhanded mandate, at which point I will get serious about looking for land in MT/ID/WY area. :)

That is definitely probable. Those urban areas want to get rid of cars in the cities. I seem to recall that London has placed a ban on ICE engines in city limits. Having probably lost 10 years off my life growing up with the 2-stroke Detroit diesel, I can't say I entirely disagree with it. There's a big difference between every city bus (and lots of them) rolling coal from every stoplight in a city where 10,000 people would be living on a plot of land the size of my property compared to even everyone rolling coal out, say, where I live.

Most states I've lived in with inspections are similar to what you've stated for Georgia. Emissions inspections in the densely populated areas, and then no inspection (or safety inspection only) once you get out of those areas

The big cities will definite look at promoting a shift to EVs. The vast majority of the pollution in Atlanta is from cars. I would suspect the same for many other big cities. We don't have much in the way of industry, especially heavy industry, so it completely makes sense that cars are the big producers of pollution here. Plus, like other new cities (cities that became big after cars) we don't have good mass transit due to lower population density than old cities (big before cars, ex NYC, London, Paris).

Rural places won't have as much need. Very rural places even less, plus EVs have more range challenges there; think "most of Montana" and similar places.

Yeah, I don't get the Tesla semi thing. The current battery tech is not up for that.
It'll do a lot of what current semis do but not all.

Expected range is either 300 miles or 500 miles while towing a load. Significantly more when empty. That will work for a majority of what semis are currently doing. Long-haul with a team, so rest stops aren't needed, isn't the target market. The Semi will use the new 4680 batteries which are tabless which reduces the heat generated during charging and discharging and allows for faster DC fast charging. The savings will be significant for companies that have routes which fit the Semis capabilities.

My guess is the first step into EV mandates will be at a regional/metro level.

Remember “Cash for Clunkers”? If and when they decide to really push the transition, something like “Cash for Gassers” could really expedite the switch. But equally important is subsidies and incentives to simultaneously build out the charging infrastructure.

It'll do a lot of what current semis do but not all.

Expected range is either 300 miles or 500 miles while towing a load. Significantly more when empty. That will work for a majority of what semis are currently doing. Long-haul with a team, so rest stops aren't needed, isn't the target market. The Semi will use the new 4680 batteries which are tabless which reduces the heat generated during charging and discharging and allows for faster DC fast charging. The savings will be significant for companies that have routes which fit the Semis capabilities.

OOC, what do the batteries weigh? Assuming 80k# GVWR - 20k# current ICE truck/trailer empty weights = ~60k# load capacity. Wonder how much of that is eaten up by the batteries and electric motor(s)?

OOC, what do the batteries weigh? Assuming 80k# GVWR - 20k# current ICE truck/trailer empty weights = ~60k# load capacity. Wonder how much of that is eaten up by the batteries and electric motor(s)?
The information is out there. I don't have enough of an interest in semis to track down all the details.

The information is out there. I don't have enough of an interest in semis to track down all the details.

I believe the EV semis still weigh more than their ICE counterparts, but the difference wasn't as much as you'd think since diesel engines/transmissions/emissions stuff weighs quite a bit as it is. I seem to recall that the difference was within about 4K-5Klbs a while back.

Well, I just won my second @denverpilot memorial wordiness award, so I'm gonna have to split my replies in two. :rofl:

@flyingcheesehead ...

Did your M3 come with the PWS Boombox feature active?

Affirm, though I've only tried it once. It kept wanting to shut off when I got back out of the car... Kinda defeats the purpose IMO! But, I've also had two software updates since then. I haven't tried again because it's winter in Wisconsin and the hangar parties are few and far between and the doors are closed...

At both houses we have 240v 50A RV receptacles available, but not real convenient. But convenient enough we won’t have to spend a fortune for fairly fast charging, and at best we’ll just need an adapter.

The 240V 50A "RV" receptacles are the NEMA 14-50 connector, which is the most common (and useful) 240V connector for EVSEs. I bought the 14-50 adapter for the Tesla UMC before I even took delivery of the car. A few years ago when I decided to future-proof my garage, I had a 150A subpanel and two 14-50s installed. There are quite a few options for EVSEs that plug into them, but if you've got a Tesla, you might as well get a Tesla one - I'm still using my old one and I get a little annoyed having to pull the adapter out all the time.

At the TN house we have a handier 240v 30A outlet we use for our Clarity, whose charger only draws about 13A. Can the stock EVSE setup use that and know not to draw in excess of 30A? As an aside, it has two “hots” and a ground, but no neutral.

Depends on the EVSE. Some EVSEs will only be rated for one amperage, others can be switched. The Tesla UMC senses which adapter you have plugged into it and adjusts its max amperage accordingly, so you may want to just add the correct 30A adapter as well.

Also nice is that nearby Melton Hill Dam has 4 chargers available for free. It’s maybe 7 miles away, but handy to charge while we walk our dog if the weather’s nice. To date, I’ve never seen another EV using them.

You should make up for the 14-mile round trip in a half hour or so unless they have them throttled.

BTW, congratulations on the new ride! You're gonna love it. :thumbsup:

Level 1 charging is 120v AC. On a 15A circuit it will give you 4 or 5 miles of range added per hour of charing (MPH). On 20A, 6 or 7 mph. For most people, that isn't fast enough to replace what they use each day.

Depends on the car and the OAT, too. The Bolt was not a particularly efficient car, and would get closer to 3 miles of range per hour on L1. But, 4 is a pretty good average for 15A L1.

I've not seen a whole lot of car/EVSE combos that will do 20A L1. A lot of cars will assume that if they're only seeing 120V they're not connected to more than a 15A circuit. The Volt would default to 8A on L1, and only let you bump it up to 12. I think the Bolt was the same but I'm not sure if I ever charged it on L1. Tesla, as usual, is ahead of the game here by having a specific 5-20 connector for the UMC.

How to be reminded you own a Tesla….

You get into the airport crew car car, step on brake pedal, nothing happens….

Takes a few moments to remember, “Oh, yeah, it’s an ICE car” and requires an actual car key instead of just your phone.

Better to have it happen that way than when you get out of the car and just walk away, and it keeps the engine running and the doors unlocked. :D

Does your Tesla make fart noises? :D A friend's son gave me a ride home. My first ride in a Tesla. He said he had it programmed to do that when he used the turn signal. Had the car full of us cracking up. What? Really? Sounded pretty realistic too.

Yes. Elon Musk is an overgrown eight-year-old. It's not really a car, it's a toy. :rofl:

I have mine set up to fart when I honk the horn. In the rare instances I get to the point where I honk, it makes me chuckle a bit and I'm less angry after that. But it's also fun to drive up to people, wave, and honk-fart. Always gets a laugh. The fart noise it uses is different every time.

There's a company out in LA that drives people between LA and Vegas with them (Tesloop). I'm not sure if they've hit 500,000 with any of them yet, but they've definitely got a few of their early cars up to 400,000. There are various articles around the web about it.

There are/have been cheaper electric cars out there that are closer to the price of their ICE equivalents (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt come to mind).

Well... Closer in dollars, maybe, but not percent. The Bolt is kind of a **** car aside from being electric. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the Tesla and all of my back problems vanished. GM is not good at ergonomics!

But the Bolt is somewhere between a Spark (starting price $13,600) and a Trax (starting price $21,400), yet its starting price is $31,500. So, approaching double what it would probably be as a gasser.

With most automotive technologies (and really most technology in general if you look at history), they start out at the high end models of that manufacturer's market and trickle down from there as the bugs get worked out and they can be made for cheaper. So the fact that the current successful EVs are more on the luxury end doesn't surprise me. As I recall, Tesla started out with the S and then the X, and then made the more affordable 3. It wouldn't surprise me if they start to move more into the compact segment later.

They've already said that they will... But there hasn't been a design reveal, and probably won't be for a little while. They're spinning a lot of plates right now.

And they started even before the S - The S was their first step "downmarket". Their first vehicle, only 2500 or so produced was the original Tesla Roadster. It was a Lotus Elise glider with a Tesla drivetrain. There was another vehicle before that but it was a proof of concept and only 4 were produced, none sold.

Yup. It's why Tesla is the first to go from zero to major manufacturer in the last 100 years or so. I hope some of the other upstarts make it too.

I'd say that is likely reasonable. But I think the more likely direction in my lifetime would be similar to having a car today that's either diesel or E85 - harder to find, fewer stations, but still perfectly usable.

I would definitely buy that... And I hope we never get to the point where it's no longer practical to own an ICE vehicle, because that would wipe out the classics. I may not need a throaty monster under my hood like @Ted but that doesn't mean I don't like it occasionally!

Speaking of which, Ted, I finally found a scenario where something electric drove me nuts because it was too quiet. I bought an electric snowblower, and I ran it right through a big pile of snow I had shoveled together and it just went right through it like it was nothing. I was thinking, "Oh, come ON! At least pretend like you're making an effort here!" :rofl:

Unfortunately, in the process I also discovered that I freaking hate walk-behind snowblowers. So now I'm looking at fixing an old tractor up that I'm already kinda fed up with, or spending a bunch of money I don't really want to spend on a newer one. I hope John Deere brings their 1RE to market, and soon! I'd be all over that.

I think that's part of where I see the infrastructure issue. Anyone with a garage attached to their home will have an easy time... People without garages who park outside of their houses will be one step down, since they'll both have the outside weather to deplete charge and need to do something for power (and most houses only have 110 outlets outside). Thinking about the dense urban areas with street parking (like NYC where I grew up), people who pay for parking garages will probably be able to have this accounted for as those can work to add power, but I don't see parking on the street having that option in the near future. Big city infrastructure is the biggest and also in many ways hardest to change.

Agreed. Charging in my garage is one of the best parts about having an EV. I do NOT miss going to the gas station, and about a year ago when we were in my wife's car to go somewhere and I had to fuel it up, I was surprised at how much it annoyed me.

It's going to take some time before landlords put in or even allow EV charging outside of the extremely liberal markets like CA, NYC, and MA. Even there I don't think it's anywhere near a majority yet.

Street parking in the city might not be so bad, though. Some European cities just put a pair of EVSEs on each street light. As long as they ran big enough wires and can maximize the use of those wires with a smart network of EVSEs, it could be done without a ton of construction.

I wonder how big the battery would have to be to actually recapture all of the energy that one often sees with a truck going through hilly/mountainous areas. If you're using it not only as a method for energy recapture but also for assisting the friction brakes, you don't want it losing effectiveness toward the bottom. Probably the maximum necessary battery size for a hybrid truck, provided it's "smart" and knows how much potential energy it may need to absorb soon and manages battery state of charge correctly, would be one that could absorb the amount of energy a fully loaded truck would have descending from Donner Summit to Sacramento on I-80, times 1.25 because it will absorb less as it gets full, * 1.25 again to account for degradation. That comes out to about 340 kWh. (7200 feet of elevation * 80,000 pounds both converted to metric and multiplied by 9.81 m/s^2 earth gravity and the aforementioned double 25% factors).

It's rumored that the 500-mile Tesla truck will have a 1MWh battery, so presumably that hybrid's battery is good to drive a truck around 170 miles on level ground, which means it's probably too big for a true hybrid. I suppose if nothing else, they could use a giant resistor pack and start redirecting energy there if necessary, which would also eliminate the need for the battery to be so big. Then, you'd just need to collect a bunch of data on how much elevation change is seen how often by semi trucks and it becomes an optimization problem.

20,000 pounds for a tractor-trailer??? I know it's been a little while since I was driving, but ours were around 32,000 pounds empty, and that was with newer equipment that made use of a lot of lighter materials. The trucks I see now have so many additional bits on them to try and improve their aerodynamics that I can't imagine they've gotten that much lighter! Now, 20,000 sounds about right for a truck without a trailer...

Are you really seeing carriers that are able to take 60,000 pounds of cargo? Generally we were limited to about 46,500 just to keep things in balance for the axle sublimits.

Anyway, it sounds like Tesla is currently at 380 Wh/kg, so if the 1MWh pack is indeed what they're using, it should weigh around 5800 pounds total. Pull out the engine, transmission, driveshafts, dual and inter-axle differentials, etc and you'll probably save a major chunk of that. The Tesla Semi is supposed to use four of the same motor as the rear one in the Model 3, and those don't weigh much at all.

I just found one spot (energy.gov) where it says that the powertrain (engine, cooling system, transmission, and accessories) on a semi is 4,080 pounds; the "drivetrain & suspension" (drive axles, steer axle, suspension) is 2,890 pounds; and the "misc accessories and systems" (batteries, fuel system, and exhaust) is 3,060 pounds. It might be a wash or even favoring the electric truck at that point. It'll definitely be interesting to see once the Tesla Semi is actually shipping.

Better to have it happen that way than when you get out of the car and just walk away, and it keeps the engine running and the doors unlocked. :D

another one is you want to shift in reverse…. But the ICE mounted windshield wipers start moving.

20,000 pounds for a tractor-trailer??? I know it's been a little while since I was driving, but ours were around 32,000 pounds empty, and that was with newer equipment that made use of a lot of lighter materials. The trucks I see now have so many additional bits on them to try and improve their aerodynamics that I can't imagine they've gotten that much lighter! Now, 20,000 sounds about right for a truck without a trailer...

Are you really seeing carriers that are able to take 60,000 pounds of cargo? Generally we were limited to about 46,500 just to keep things in balance for the axle sublimits.

Anyway, it sounds like Tesla is currently at 380 Wh/kg, so if the 1MWh pack is indeed what they're using, it should weigh around 5800 pounds total. Pull out the engine, transmission, driveshafts, dual and inter-axle differentials, etc and you'll probably save a major chunk of that. The Tesla Semi is supposed to use four of the same motor as the rear one in the Model 3, and those don't weigh much at all.

I just found one spot (energy.gov) where it says that the powertrain (engine, cooling system, transmission, and accessories) on a semi is 4,080 pounds; the "drivetrain & suspension" (drive axles, steer axle, suspension) is 2,890 pounds; and the "misc accessories and systems" (batteries, fuel system, and exhaust) is 3,060 pounds. It might be a wash or even favoring the electric truck at that point. It'll definitely be interesting to see once the Tesla Semi is actually shipping.

I was thinking back to the old fertilizer hauling days running Freightliners with hopper trailers (tenders, not hopper bottoms). I thought it was around 20-25k for truck+trailer, but I could be mis-remembering (we were also running relatively stripped down trucks - sleepers with no personal amenities in them). Also, we weren't running 53' trailers for that - we wouldn't be able to get them into/out of the field drives or the tight turns on backroads we went down with a trailer that long. And yes, we would load to 80k consistently and not worry about axle weight (we also weren't hauling long distances). Actually, I did get stopped by a blue shirt one day in southern IA. I was 600# over on a drive axle. He asked if I could shift weight and I showed him that I had already slid my 5th wheel and I told him I couldn't move weight unless he has a shovel to move fertilizer from one bin to another in the trailer. Luckily he let me go.

But yeah, I was genuinely curious if the carrying capacity was affected at all with batteries. It makes sense, though - you rip out the engine, transmission, and those big cast pumpkins and you've shed a lot of weight. Wonder if you can shift the weight of the batteries to distribute weight on the truck based on load? That might be v2. ;)

We ordered our Tesla Model 3 Long Range. one month ago today, and had a revised estimated delivery date of 2/19 to 3/19. But yesterday afternoon we got an email saying “our“ car was ready to be picked up. I put “our” in quotes, since it was one that someone did not or could not take delivery of and we got matched up with it.

Taking delivery today would have been a bit of a crunch, plus it was cold and drizzly. So we’re scheduled for tomorrow at 4PM. But we did have a chance to stop by this afternoon on the way to a soccer game.

51862539346_d82fa4e1e2_z.jpg

Sure is purty. And the car, too!

We ordered our Tesla Model 3 Long Range. one month ago today, and had a revised estimated delivery date of 2/19 to 3/19. But yesterday afternoon we got an email saying “our“ car was ready to be picked up. I put “our” in quotes, since it was one that someone did not or could not take delivery of and we got matched up with it.

Taking delivery today would have been a bit of a crunch, plus it was cold and drizzly. So we’re scheduled for tomorrow at 4PM. But we did have a chance to stop by this afternoon on the way to a soccer game.

51862539346_d82fa4e1e2_z.jpg

Sure is purty. And the car, too!
Welcome to Team Red!

The alignment gets out of balance?! What does that mean?

Paul

I think I cut-n-pasted it. I don’t see the same pieces, but one like it that I think they were trying to say rotate and balance the tires and an alignment.

Back