Taxiway take off???

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
I should know this probably, but cant remotely remember and I am too lazy to look it up. I have a friend that has his plane in the shop getting some avionics work done. The airport has closed for a couple of weeks for runway maintenance, is there a circumstance where he can legally take off from the taxiway? I am just curious, he is fine waiting. Let the flogging begin.

FAA doesn't care really. Ask the airport manager for permission, or do it at 3 am when no one is around. Might want to walk the taxiway at 3am to make sure a dump truck isn't parked across it though.

Like the RC plane thread, look at the city ordinance for your particular airport and see what it says. Mine addresses it but I forget what it says. Think it’s either for emergency or authorized specifically by the city.

FAA doesn't care really. Ask the airport manager for permission, or do it at 3 am when no one is around. Might want to walk the taxiway at 3am to make sure a dump truck isn't parked across it though.
Thats what I seemed to remember, but I wasnt sure. Thanks Ed.

Done it a bunch. OK, repaying the runway at BQK, so everyone was permitted to land on the parallel taxiway. We did it with a Brasilia, 30 passenger turbo-prop. ATL repaved runway 9R/27L and all the airlines landed on taxiway M parallel to the runway. Cool to see Delta 757s & 767s land on it.

I most certainly have never done such a thing but if I did I would ask the airport manager for permission. He might tell me to turn off the transponder and have his guys block off the taxiway.

Why waste time taking off from a taxiway. Just do it from the hangar.

p1asd8138r1vqo1rb51af51kl317r6.jpg

Usually when an airport has maintenance on the runway the manager will develop a plan for alternatives-- might be temporary relocation at another airport, use of portions of the runway, or other surfaces such as the taxiway. Operations from the taxiway might be limited to only based aircraft, under a certain weight, during daytime, etc. The airport manager is the source of such information. The FAA doesn't care as long as what you're doing is not careless or reckless.

Knew a Air Force pilot who saw that happen. Moody AFB used that airport for pilot training and someone from Maule said watch the hangar opening and "check this out"!

Last edited:
Local tower will allow taxiway landing when the crosswinds have exceeded your capability.
“Land at own risk”

We have one taxiway that was an old 3rd direction runway, long closed and now only slightly wider than the other taxiways. Only locals know to declare it.

I should know this probably, but cant remotely remember and I am too lazy to look it up. I have a friend that has his plane in the shop getting some avionics work done. The airport has closed for a couple of weeks for runway maintenance, is there a circumstance where he can legally take off from the taxiway? I am just curious, he is fine waiting. Let the flogging begin.

Yes

Don't go getting diarrhea over it, just fuel up, taxi down it once and make sure it's good, and go.

Last edited:
They do it at sun n fun.

Yes, and AirVenture too. The taxiway becomes 36R/18L for a week.

I had to back-taxi the entire length of a towered-airport runway a while ago. I didn't like the feeling of being on "the active" for so long.

Usually when an airport has maintenance on the runway the manager will develop a plan for alternatives-- might be temporary relocation at another airport, use of portions of the runway, or other surfaces such as the taxiway. Operations from the taxiway might be limited to only based aircraft, under a certain weight, during daytime, etc.
God I wish! I've been thru it twice in Missouri and they simply closed the freakin airport both times. The latest was just last fall. Fortunately, I had an alternate location available both times.

God I wish! I've been thru it twice in Missouri and they simply closed the freakin airport both times. The latest was just last fall. Fortunately, I had an alternate location available both times.
See my 3am comment.:D:D:D

I was doing a medical flight once. Waiting at the hold short line for the med crew to get seated and waiting for one plane to land. It landed, blew a tire and could not get off the runway.

I made a turn, announced departing on the parallel and away we went.

Non-towered airport.

At towered field you can request it and see what they say. Reference the closure at KTKI discussed on this forum where many of the locals used taxiway A to land. [of course, taxiway A is the old runway... so not too hard to do]

For a non-towered field... who's to stop you? I'm not advocating it, but you're the PIC.

We once had a guy blow a tire on the runway, closing it. As several of us circled, a friend of mine who gives biplane rides asked he could land on the taxiway. The tower says, “I can’t tell you that you can’t, but I can’t tell you that you can either “. He responded “is there a lawyer on the frequency?” We all decided to keep circling.

Same airport a couple years later closed the lone runway for 6 weeks to resurface. The opened the taxiway to takeoff and landings with some restrictions. No students was one of them. Might have been single engine only, I don’t remember.

done it lots. worried only about the insurance. a bit.

oh, and tried to avoid it at class B and busy class C's.

When I was training in the McCulloch J-2 Gyroplane we routinely used taxiways for takeoff and landing with ATC's blessing at Long Beach CA, then the country's fourth busiest airport.

The aircraft had to be stopped in position while the rotor clutch was engaged and the rotor spun up to flight rpm before the takeoff roll could commence. The whole process took the better of 45 seconds or so. ATC was more than happy to have us use the south parallel taxiway for takeoffs, so as not to clog traffic on 25L. The beast needed but a very short space to land, so tower generally cleared us to land on a little-used 500-foot-long taxiway that led right into our FBO's ramp.

I remember in the 70s, Maule used this advertisement in all the aviation magazines.

It is frequently done when the only runway is being paved. Not sure if a Notam is required or even allowed, but it should be Notamed?

done it lots. worried only about the insurance. a bit.

oh, and tried to avoid it at class B and busy class C's.
Unless you're Harrison Ford.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A few years back Eagle was using the taxiway during runway resurfacing.

My friend used the helicopter pad last week in his Supercub. Wind was 90 degree crosswind at 30 its. Tower cleared him at his own risk. Rolled about 10 feet on touchdown picked up his passenger and was off in less than a fuselage length.

We took off and landed on a parallel taxi way all summer in Juneau when they repaved the run way. It was cool watching the 737's land on a 75ft wide taxi way..

There I was on the bench seat in the cockpit of a C-130 heading for Baghdad; the engineer says "pilot, at this temperature I can't tell how much runway we need, the whizz wheel doesn't go that high." The pilot responds "Don't worry, we're not going to use any of the runway, it has holes in it. We're landing on the taxiway." I think he had the outboard props reversed when we touched down. I think he was stress testing the seat belts.

Back