Suggestions about France/Italy from you worldly travelers?

I can pack very quickly too. I have it down to a science. And all the little things like adaptors etc always stay in one place.

I always have a Euro 2 prong in my computer/briefcase ..... I keep the UK adapters in a drawer, but sometimes I have to find an odd one for travel somewhere those don't work. Not always in the right dresser drawer.

Along with the correct plug adapter we have found that the next issue is a lack of plugs in France and Italy. Smaller B&Bs have limited wall plugs.

We are going to try this on our next trip.:

31QdpZ3x2iL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

A little bendable outlet for those Ixxx or camera chargers (android / kindle as well ) :rofl:
count up the number of chargable devices you will be carrying you will be surprised. They also have a 6 socket version.

http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-PPVJ1-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1363743487&sr=1-7&keywords=pivot

I just re-read all the posts in this thread. Thanks again, everyone for all of your suggestions! We've been getting organized, with your help. :)

We recently talked with our local banker about debit cards and credit cards and euros. After he talked non-stop for 30 minutes, my eyes glazed over and I left the bank feeling more stupid than before he started talking. :redface: Your comments here made more sense. :D

Anyway, we booked the Main Cabin Extra seats on AA for $118 extra each way for each of us. We'll give you a PIREP on whether that is really an advantage or not. Bill, I think it may be a little more room than what you had in the back of the Citabria on your short flight to Twin Oaks Airport with Richards Air. :D

Last edited:
I just re-read all the posts in this thread. Thanks again, everyone for all of your suggestions! We've been getting organized, with your help. :)

We recently talked with our local banker about debit cards and credit cards and euros. After he talked non-stopped for 30 minutes, my eyes glazed over and I left the bank feeling more stupid than before he started talking. :redface: Your comments here made more sense. :D

I don't know if either of you are ex-military, but USAA is now offering chip-and-pin credit cards for overseas travelers. I've got an AmEx and a hotel rewards card that both are chip-and-signature (with no additional intl transaction fees).

I'd suggest you get some money from an ATM upon arrival (or get about 50 Euro before you leave & consider the high exchange fee here in the US as "insurance") just to have a little pocket money. I do it enough that I keep leftover cash from last trip that'll cover cab fare or train fare to the hotel... I learned the hard way many years ago that if the French telecom workers go on strike that the ATMs might not work (I found a way around it thanks to the local AmEx office, which allowed me to eat lunch & get a subway ticket that day).

Anyway, we booked the Main Cabin Extra seats on AA for $118 extra each way for each of us. We'll give you a PIREP on whether that is really an advantage or not. Bill, I think it may be a little more room than what you had in the back of the Citabria on your short flight to Twin Oaks Airport with Richards Air. :D

Good for you! I fly AA a lot because of our corporate deal with them. The MCE seats are well worth it if you are flying economy class - regular economy is less room than the Citabria, MCE is much better. I won't fly regular coach on a transcon, much less overseas (unless I can get an exit row, which has as much room as MCE). Good choice, Diana!

Have a great trip!

Look at the receipt is it has service added no need for the 10%, just the coins. If it is not there then 10-12% is appropriate.

Correct.

Most places will have a statement on the bill that says "service compris" or "prix service compris" to indicate that service is included. There are a growing number of places that include a line for "service" or "tip".... I've noted that to be more prevelent as more places accept credit ("carte bleu").

If "service" is included ("service compris"), then there is no need to do any more than leave a few extra coins ("round up"). If there is no statement "service compris" or a separate service line with the amount indicated, then it's appropriate to leave 10-12%.

You'll run across a few places that have a "tip" line in addition to "service compris". Tip is not mandatory in those places. And if you use chip-and-pin/signature they'll often ring up the amount on the bill and not give you an option to add tip as in the states (I leave a few coins).

If you don't take Euros with you, and I only take the ones I have left from an earlier trip, and you need some, use US Currency at an airport shop and you will get euros back. I never use an ATM or ForeEx shop at the airport since they almost always give terrible rates and charge a fee to boot. Bank ATM's are the best way to get foreign money and if you play it right, you get a good rate and no fees. For example, my credit union only charges the 1% Visa fee for any ATM withdrawals.

Cheers

If you don't take Euros with you, and I only take the ones I have left from an earlier trip, and you need some, use US Currency at an airport shop and you will get euros back. I never use an ATM or ForeEx shop at the airport since they almost always give terrible rates and charge a fee to boot. Bank ATM's are the best way to get foreign money and if you play it right, you get a good rate and no fees. For example, my credit union only charges the 1% Visa fee for any ATM withdrawals.

Cheers

Interesting. I typically get good rates from ATMs at airports when I arrive. Better than exchanging currency. Like you, I have currency left over from previous trips. Zip lock bags from a number of countries. For some reason I exect to need them. The bag of Australian currency is sitting on top of the passports for next month. And I've got Euros for a pair of trips this fall. I know I'll be back. Again, and again, and...

You all were so right! :yes: Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions! :)

A few random thoughts:

Pedestrians don't really have the right of way in Italy or France. :no:

We're glad we didn't drive. They drive like maniacs. :eek:

Bathrooms were interesting, and sometimes challenging. Why don't many of the toilets have seats??? :dunno:

The Italians are fun and warm people. :yes: The French...not so much.

How much did it cost to build all those incredible churches?? How beautiful, but at what cost? Well, anyway, it's a good thing so much history is being preserved.

Italy and France are beautiful.

Is Venice sinking?

We found a creperie in Paris...yummmmm! :goofy:

The high-speed train from Nice to Paris was stinky and not as much fun as we thought it would be.

What's up with all the peddlers in your face trying to sell you junk?

Nice was nice. Those rocks sure are hard. It was fun to sit on the beach (in a chair) and watch the airplanes come and go. :)

We heard the Grand Prix race in the distance as we passed through Monaco. Had a chance to gamble in Monte Carlo. Didn't lose much.

We enjoyed the Moulin Rouge. But, we don't get out much, so what do we know.

We enjoyed wandering the streets in the various cities on our own, away from the touristy areas. Next time we go, we'll go to the smaller, more rural areas.

We tried to do too much in a short amount of time.

Tom was singled out by a customs dog in Dallas...long story.

I got the worst virus (with pneumonia) I've ever experienced in my life, while in Europe...fortunately I didn't start having symptoms until the day after we arrived back home.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm still on meds.

You all were so right! :yes: Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions! :)

A few random thoughts:

Actually the law in France is that all drivers must miss pedestrians by no less than a meter. :yes: That's why if you start to cross, keep a steady pace and NEVER stop, the drivers are used to leading or planning on passing behind you. A steady pace is essential to make that happen. Makes for exciting strolls !!!! :D

We're glad we didn't drive. They drive like maniacs. :eek:

Hooo yes you're right on both counts.

The Italians are fun and warm people. :yes: The French...not so much.
Totally disagree! I haven't been to Italy, but all the French people I've run into are really great people, fun, fun-loving, etc. Part of it might be that Parisians tend to be a little like New Yorkers in that they're always in a hurry. Or, as they would say, pressé.

(Italy and) France are beautiful.
YES.

We found a creperie in Paris...yummmmm! :goofy:
They're all over the place there. Next time you go (because you're already planning next time :) ) try to hit Brittany. I had the best crepe ever there. Salt, butter, and caramel.......ooooooh myyyy it was delicious.

The high-speed train from Nice to Paris was stinky and not as much fun as we thought it would be.
I've been on it twice now. The first time it was kinda old and a little run down, but it was really nice the second time! And faaaaaaaaaaaast.

We tried to do too much in a short amount of time.
As always...no matter how little you plan, it's always too much.

Sounds like a blast! I'm jealous.

Just a little necro-post here to thank everybody for their travel advice and tips.

Mrs. Pilawt and I have just returned from a 15-day, 40th Anniversary trip to Europe. It was our first trip there on our own, i.e., without a cruise or tour group. It was great.

We started with three days in Diessen-am-Ammersee, an off-the-tourist-grid Bavarian lakeside town, about 40 km southwest of Munich. We picked that destination because I had visited there on a student tour 'way back in 1968. I loved it then, and love it more now.

From Munich we took the train through the Alps to Venice for two days; then hung out for five days in the wonderful town of Assisi (you don't "do" Assisi -- you "be" there); then two days in Rome and finishing up with two days in Dublin.

Photo album: https://picasaweb.google.com/103837507532952449461/Europe2013#

Just a little necro-post here to thank everybody for their travel advice and tips.

Mrs. Pilawt and I have just returned from a 15-day, 40th Anniversary trip to Europe. It was our first trip there on our own, i.e., without a cruise or tour group. It was great.

We started with three days in Diessen-am-Ammersee, an off-the-tourist-grid Bavarian lakeside town, about 40 km southwest of Munich. We picked that destination because I had visited there on a student tour 'way back in 1968. I loved it then, and love it more now.

From Munich we took the train through the Alps to Venice for two days; then hung out for five days in the wonderful town of Assisi (you don't "do" Assisi -- you "be" there); then two days in Rome and finishing up with two days in Dublin.

That sounds like a great tour. Glad you enjoyed it.

Photo album: https://picasaweb.google.com/103837507532952449461/Europe2013#

Sounds great. Haven't been to Venice since 1992, enjoyed it then. Rome? There last September and I'll be back next month. If you only had two days you need to go back. You just scratched the surface.

Oh, and congratulations on the 40th anniversary. We celebrated our 40th the end of July.

What a great trip you had! Loved your photos. :yes: We were only at Assisi for a few hours and I wish we could have been there longer. Seeing your photos of Venice and Rome makes me want to go back.

Congratulations on your anniversary. :)

Back