Suggestions about France/Italy from you worldly travelers?

Most towns seem to have a small hardware store or small electronic shop somewhere near the center of town, you just have to ask. Not those big box stores, little shops. Those have those adapters.

I did. Every place I stopped. I was way out in the sticks, though, which is why they probably weren't carried.

My shavers (old one that just died and the new one) will charge on anything from about 100 Volts (good for Japan) to 250 Volts (good for South Africa). AC or DC for the old one, I'll have to look on the new one. Never an issue. Get the plug adapters noted above and you're good to go. All my electronic toys have universal power supplies that will accept about any voltage I feed them. Thank goodness.

Have fun, you'll love this trip.

I'm reading Rick Steves' Europe Through The Back Door -- best common sense travel advice I've ever seen. I've scheduled an appointment with one of the consultants at Steves' office in Edmonds WA (just north of Seattle) later this month to go over our preliminary itinerary. He also has free classes and podcasts available; check his website.

The RER from CDG airport is actually much more of a crime risk than the Metro.

By way of explanation - the Metro is the local train system while the RER is more of a regional system. We were there for work, so we stayed at the Hilton at Orly airport and had weekends off. However, we did have to take the RER into town...and pay the special tarriff of 8.50 each way to get to/from the Orly airport. Actually, we just bought the expensive version of the day pass, which really probably only made sense for us. It was 22Eu and included the Orly extension. After taking out for the extension, we really only had to pay 5Eu more to have a day pass for full access on the RER and Le Metro. Again, that only made sense because we had to pay 17Eu just to get to/from the Orly aiport.

At first glance, the two system appear to be the same. However closely integrated, they are different. The RER makes fewer stops in town, but goes out further. And maybe it was me, but the RER workers seem to go on strike more often, but only when it's not raining.

I'm looking through my bag here - it seems I have two different sized electrical adapters with two round prongs. I'm pretty sure the thiner prong one is for Europe, but there's a second which is thicker and spaced further apart. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Last edited:
What electronic products are you taking?

Only our two iPhones, two iPads, Canon battery charger, and extra charger for the iStuff.

Most things we use nowadays already have the converter built in. Laptops, cameras, cell phones, ipods, etc. All built in.

You only need a plug converter which weighs maybe an ounce, tops. Rick Steves' website has super cheap plug adapters. Buy a handful at at time, take several. They are somewhat easy to lose and if you take several you won't feel bad about lending them to people you are traveling with not to mention you will probably want to recharge everything each night and don't want to only have one adapter to charge one thing at at time (and if you only buy one, don't lend it out). Those buggers are somewhat hard to find believe it or not - especially on vacation.

Don't take a hairdryer - the hotels will have them. I'd suggest not taking an electric razor, either. I don't pack light in the way most people think of packing light but I don't take that kind of stuff either.

As Beth said, you probably do not need a voltage converter, just plug adapters.

Look at what power supplies you are bringing. If it is anything Apple it is made to run on all voltages and line frequencies. Most other electronics are as well. You can check on the label. If you see something like 100-240VAC 50/60Hz that will run on all the Euro voltages.

This is the plug adapter you will need
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932600&locale=en_US

If you cannot find them locally and do not want to order, you can also get them in most airports.

I hadn't realized about those labels and the ability of those products to be used in Europe! How neat that I won't likely need the heavy converter.

I just checked the label on the Cannon battery charger and it says 100-240VAC 50/60Hz. Cool!

The newer iPad cords have 3-pronged plugs. How would you use them with the adapters? I have a bunch of the older 2-pronged plugs, but the writing on them is so worn I can't tell if they have the correct converter info.

Only our two iPhones, two iPads, Canon battery charger, and extra charger for the iStuff.

I hadn't realized about those labels and the ability of those products to be used in Europe! How neat that I won't likely need the heavy converter.

I just checked the label on the Cannon battery charger and it says 100-240VAC 50/60Hz. Cool!

The newer iPad cords have 3-pronged plugs. How would you use them with the adapters? I have a bunch of the older 2-pronged plugs, but the writing on them is so worn I can't tell if they have the correct converter info.

i-anything - no need for a converter, even the ones you can't read - they are fine. Camera chargers have been set up for dual usage as long as I can remember. You don't need the converter. If you ever found that you did, the hotel would probably have one. But you won't.

Check out Rick Steves site in general for packing needs. His stuff is sturdy, very lightweight, and cheap (150 bucks for a 22 inch bag is cheap). Those adapters you can buy like candy. A buck a piece!

I've found that three pronged anything will still fit into the two prong, the third prong is superfluous. But test it out just in case when you get the plug adapters.

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your advice, including safety precautions. :)

One thing I would really like to do is spend a little time (I wish I had more time) at a sidewalk café in Paris. Any suggestions?

Another thing I found up there was the street crepe vendors. I could have gained 20 lbs on crepes. All kinds, with fresh fruit, choco, cinnamon, etc. I usually would get up in the morning and have a up of tea, then go out for a crepe on the street or in a small shop.

I'm going to make it a point of finding one of those. :)

One thing I would really like to do is spend a little time (I wish I had more time) at a sidewalk café in Paris. Any suggestions?
Ask Parisians (hotel staff, etc) right there on the spot, there is nothing that compares to a timely, local, direct and face-to-face advice.

Last edited:
Thanks again, everyone, for all of your advice, including safety precautions. :)

LOTS of them. Famous is Les Deux Magots in St. Germain.

But don't feel you NEED to go there - wander around the St. Germain area and grab a table at any of the many you will see. I seem to recall a number on Rue Saint Benoit (in St. Germain), but there are lots more in the St. Germain area (along with some fancy & expensive stores....) - my suggestion would be to start there. Most will have English menus.

On hint: unlike the US, you'll need to ask for your bill when done - they won't bring it automagically.

I will tell you as someone who was stationed in Greece, England and Germany in the USAF and having travelled all over Europe on vacation.. the absolute best experience my wife and I have had as doing a small intimate tour and cooking experience in Italy. The company is http://www.culturediscovery.com/. The guy who co-owns it with his wife is a pilot too making it even better :)

They have small groups and teach cooking out of their beautiful villa in a small Italian town named Soriano. You cook half a day and tour half a day most days. The tours are guided but the group size is 12 people or less so it is an intimate experience. It is totally unlike most commercial tours and they are more like a big family. You stay in beautiful villas in the town one private villa to each family. Having lived on the economy in Europe previously there is no better way to get the true experience. Their tours are really all inclusive too, all the wine you want, all the food you can eat, all the tours, etc.

Their tours go to Italian wine country and various sites in the most beautiful areas of the country you can imagine. I really don't want to sound like a commercial for these guys but after having done so many tours and trips in Europe, nothing compares hands down.

Carl

I will tell you as someone who was stationed in Greece, England and Germany in the USAF and having travelled all over Europe on vacation.. the absolute best experience my wife and I have had as doing a small intimate tour and cooking experience in Italy. The company is http://www.culturediscovery.com/. The guy who co-owns it with his wife is a pilot too making it even better :)

They have small groups and teach cooking out of their beautiful villa in a small Italian town named Soriano. You cook half a day and tour half a day most days. The tours are guided but the group size is 12 people or less so it is an intimate experience. It is totally unlike most commercial tours and they are more like a big family. You stay in beautiful villas in the town one private villa to each family. Having lived on the economy in Europe previously there is no better way to get the true experience. Their tours are really all inclusive too, all the wine you want, all the food you can eat, all the tours, etc.

Their tours go to Italian wine country and various sites in the most beautiful areas of the country you can imagine. I really don't want to sound like a commercial for these guys but after having done so many tours and trips in Europe, nothing compares hands down.

Carl
That sounds like fun! :)

The Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel.

I didn't know that...thanks! :)

You will be about a 20 minute walk from Luxembourg Gardens. Highly recommend a stroll there! You can walk through it on your way to the Seine/Notre Dame etc. Notre Dame is about a 40 minute walk according to Google Maps.

If you are looking for a good meal, Les Papilles is not far from Lux Gardens - 20 mins walk from your hotel - highly recommend.

Ok. I've never stayed in that area, so I can't help you with any local places. You'll have to give us a full review when you get back.
Wilco. :)

You will be about a 20 minute walk from Luxembourg Gardens. Highly recommend a stroll there! You can walk through it on your way to the Seine/Notre Dame etc. Notre Dame is about a 40 minute walk according to Google Maps.

If you are looking for a good meal, Les Papilles is not far from Lux Gardens - 20 mins walk from your hotel - highly recommend.

Sounds like we can see some interesting things during a stroll in the area. Thanks. :) I really had no idea what was where and how possible it would be to walk around and see things.

I recommend ordering a croque monsieur at some point.
I had to Google that. Sounds good!

Wilco. :)

Sounds like we can see some interesting things during a stroll in the area. Thanks. :) I really had no idea what was where and how possible it would be to walk around and see things.

I had to Google that. Sounds good!

Croque Madame is also good.

Les Deux Magots is very famous, but the food is awful. I went there for the first time in December. However, if you just want a place to sit and watch the world go by while having a drink, good place to perch.

Cafe de la Paix was one of my haunts, but it's been awhile. Great people watching and lots of traffic to watch. At times, some locals would put on a bit of a show there.

Have a great trip.

Dave

Sounds like you are leaning toward some days in Paris? You'll never forget it. Hope you're ready for the unusual French version of the butt pinch.....
The first time I took my wife there she was looking forward to getting her butt pinched, mainly because we were going to spend most time in Italy, but was totally shocked by a French guy palming her lovely bottom! Helloooooo, what's the difference?
We were sitting in a café on the Champs-Élysée one evening when she wandered over to look in a shop window. This guy comes up and rubs her butt and then just stands there with a big smile on his face. She comes running over to the table and tells me the story. Like what the hell am I supposed to do - make a big scene? (in the US it would have been a totally different story!) Of course I told her it wouldn't have happened to an unattractive bottom......and that worked...:yesnod:
We laughed about that for years.

Have fun, I go to Northern Italy for Easter with my family every year and it's always different depending on the weather. Really looking forward to this year.

Last edited:
Croque Madame is also good.

Les Deux Magots is very famous, but the food is awful.
I have not eaten there, so can't speak to the quality of the food.
I went there for the first time in December. However, if you just want a place to sit and watch the world go by while having a drink, good place to perch.

I have had a cup of tea there, and you are quite correct, it's great for watching folks go by.

This is NOT Deux Magots, but is an example of the kind of sidewalk cafe you'll find almost everywhere in Paris. I took the photo last February in the 6th - between Notre Dame and St. Germain.... even in winter folks take to the outdoor cafe seats:
attachment.php

Attachments

• La_Palette.jpg
    La_Palette.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I didn't think I had one, but here is a photo of Deux Magots that I took last Feb while wandering the streets of Paris. It really is a great city to walk...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Deux_Magots.jpg
    Deux_Magots.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 40
One more from Paris and I'll stop...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Test_4b.jpg
    Test_4b.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 40
Sounds like you are leaning toward some days in Paris? You'll never forget it. Hope you're ready for the unusual French version of the butt pinch.....
The first time I took my wife there she was looking forward to getting her butt pinched, mainly because we were going to spend most time in Italy, but was totally shocked by a French guy palming her lovely bottom! Helloooooo, what's the difference?
We were sitting in a café on the Champs-Élysée one evening when she wandered over to look in a shop window. This guy comes up and rubs her butt and then just stands there with a big smile on his face. She comes running over to the table and tells me the story. Like what the hell am I supposed to do - make a big scene? (in the US it would have been a totally different story!) Of course I told her it wouldn't have happened to an unattractive bottom......and that worked...:yesnod:
We laughed about that for years.

Have fun, I go to Northern Italy for Easter with my family every year and it's always different depending on the weather. Really looking forward to this year.

I hit a man in Greece for repeatedly grabbing me. He wouldn't stop grabbing and harassing me, so I hit him and screamed at him to get away from me. The look on his face was priceless, he was so shocked. I just loathe the southern European mens' mentality that it is acceptable to grope women.

Bill, could you re-size the photos? They are huge, thanks.

I resized the first one (uploaded the wrong file to start with)... the other two are at 1024/768 already - are they still too big? They look OK in my browser.

Cafe de la Paix was one of my haunts, but it's been awhile. Great people watching and lots of traffic to watch. At times, some locals would put on a bit of a show there.

Have a great trip.

Dave
Thank you, Dave. :)

One more from Paris and I'll stop...

Loved the pictures...thanks! Makes me want to go even more now. :)

I hit a man in Greece for repeatedly grabbing me. He wouldn't stop grabbing and harassing me, so I hit him and screamed at him to get away from me. The look on his face was priceless, he was so shocked. I just loathe the southern European mens' mentality that it is acceptable to grope women.

Good for you! Our experience was brief and harmless and, along with a couple innocent pinches in Italy, gave her years of stories to tell her friends. What you experienced was not funny. Hope the rest of your travels were good? Have never been to Greece and always wanted to visit. But I hear it's not so good these days with all their troubles.

When I was in the Army in Germany we took a week vacation down to Italy in an old beater Porsche I had. While walking back to our hotel in Rome a couple little cuties cruised up between us and linked arms. Very pleasant surprise, to say the least! Seems they were tourists from NY and heard us speaking English and hooked up to avoid some aggressive jerks, like yours, that were hassling them. Fortunately we hit it off and spent a couple extra days in Rome. Wonderful memory, thanks for stirring it up!! :)

PS: really like your dog. Miss my Shepherd a lot....

Diana,

Make sure you leave time and money for treats and delicacies...

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

Attachments

• Paris_Treat_1.jpg
    Paris_Treat_1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Paris_Treat_2.jpg
    Paris_Treat_2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 95
The city is also alive at night.

Some might call this the "money shot"....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Paris_Money_Shot.jpg
    Paris_Money_Shot.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 95
On hint: unlike the US, you'll need to ask for your bill when done - they won't bring it automagically.

+1! Unlike restaurants here in the US, there will be no effort to run you off so that the restaurant can "turn" your table. You may sit there enjoying the view until you are ready to leave or they close for the night.

-Skip

I recommend ordering a croque monsieur at some point.

I definitely highly recommend the above.

Back