Suggestions about France/Italy from you worldly travelers?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Tom finally agreed to travel to Europe with me. This will be the first time for both of us. We mainly want to see Paris, rural France, Venice, Tuscany, vineyards, and a castle or two. We're rural folks, so we would like to see rural areas, either by car or train. We're not into museums, at all. We will have about a week and hope to go this coming April.

So many questions, so many resources, but you folks have a lot of first-hand experience, so I'm hoping you can give us some suggestions. I know that Google is my friend, but I trust you folks more. :yes:

Is it practical/more expensive to fly into one city, like Paris, and then depart for home out of another, like Rome?

Is there a way to use the iPhone and iPad with AT&T so that it isn't very expensive? I haven't talked with AT&T yet, but I thought you might have some suggestions about that. Is WiFi available in many places in Europe?

What about the weather in France/Italy in April?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

Tom finally agreed to travel to Europe with me. This will be the first time for both of us. We mainly want to see Paris, rural France, Venice, Tuscany, vineyards, and a castle or two. We're rural folks, so we would like to see rural areas, either by car or train. We're not into museums, at all. We will have about a week and hope to go this coming April.

So many questions, so many resources, but you folks have a lot of first-hand experience, so I'm hoping you can give us some suggestions. I know that Google is my friend, but I trust you folks more. :yes:

Is it practical/more expensive to fly into one city, like Paris, and then depart for home out of another, like Rome?

Is there a way to use the iPhone and iPad with AT&T so that it isn't very expensive? I haven't talked with AT&T yet, but I thought you might have some suggestions about that. Is WiFi available in many places in Europe?

What about the weather in France/Italy in April?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :)

I go to France and Italy at least a couple of times a year. AT&T works well. Verizon not so much. Call AT&T and pre-buy an international data plan for about $30. If you don't you will rack up a massive charge if you do even a little data usage.

I love to drive in both countries. Driving there once you get the hang of it is just a pleasure. No one eating a burrito in the fast lane doing 50, great roads, clean, and roadside gas stations are wonderful (unlike here). Also, much more economical than you might think.

The ONE big tip. Get a Garmin GPS and the special SD card for France or Italy with directions in english. That is a fricken life saver. In fact if you decide you want to drive PM me and you are welcome to borrow mine.

Also, get a bunch of adapters (not converters) all of your DC power supplies cell phones, laptops, etc. will use them perfectly. For bathroom appliances buy a dual voltage version (hair dryer, curling iron) they don't work with converters despite what the box says. I can send you a link to the ones my wife has if you want.

I always fly into a major city like Paris or Rome then drive. Paris is not big deal to drive around unless you are inside the peripherique then it gets a little crazy.

I just spent some time in Provence and drove as far as Neice last November. What a great trip, I highly recommend anywhere in the south of France.

Except rain in April and cooler temps depending on where you go. No big deal, I love to travel there any time of year.

Generally speaking, it is not cheaper to arrive into one city and depart from another. But that doesn't mean that it's always too expensive or cost prohibitive. You just have to study the costs of the tickets for your dates, and compare them to the costs of you returning back to your arrival city. You may find that the difference to arrive to Paris and depart from Rome could be only $100 more per ticket than arriving and departing from Paris, or it may be $1000. It's also important to take into consideration where you're departing/arriving the USA, and if you need connections at either Paris or Rome. Another consideration is the airline you take. If you purchase directly with AirFrance, it would likely be even more expensive to come back from Rome, whereas with Delta it may be a little cheaper since Paris and Rome are both big stops for them.

Renting a car is no big deal, taking the train is a little more relaxing, cheaper, and less stressful. Purchase an EU Railpass for the best deal on rail travel. In most cases you get travel anytime, anywhere, within a few countries and limited dates. With cars, don't rent a car in one country and return it in another. This is possible of course, but the costs are outrageous. Make sure you take a GPS with an EU chip in it, it's a lifesaver. Crossing into another country...the train is prettier and more relaxing, but it can take quite a while, and you will find that you'll have to likely make connections which could be late at night or early in the morning. Check out RyanAir or WhizzAir for cheap flights in Europe, you can usually around major cities for under €200. But a warning...do not expect any service from the low cost air carriers.

ATT works well internationally. You can sign up for the discounted world travel plans for the service, but I like the local prepaid service. You can remove the simcard from your devices, then buy a local prepaid simcard, stick it in, and pay for local service as you go. This prevents going over ATT's international plan which gets very, very expensive after the limits. Alternatively you can sign up with a carrier such as TMobile (very big in the EU), and many local places such as airports, restaurants, train stations all have wireless usually with TMobile. On EU trains many have wireless as well, so you don't have to use your network. At any rate, ATT has great reliable service, but it's very expensive outside of the USA if you exceed the limits, so use it sparingly.

Although smaller countries, the weather is extremely different across France and Italy from north to south. But to keep it simple, you can consider both very similar to the USA. The farther north you are, the cooler it will be. The farther south you are, the warmer it will be. The north may get a little more rain in April, but it most likely won't be cold...just cooler, a little rainy.

I'm there a few times per year, anything else just ask.

There's an area In Italy called Sienna about an hour from Florence really awesome old school city very mid evil. If you are there during their 2 Paolo festivals in the summer it's great!! Souther France Nice is great and Cannes and while you are there Monaco. You can get a plan with AT&T now I believe or you can get a SIM card when there or even before hand. You can just use wifi for most calls for free with face time Skype viber if you are into a beautiful scenery and have the time and maybe into some adventure sports id go to interlaken Switzerland not too far from Italy.

We celebrated our 25th in Italy. We did it in June which was great, can't speak to April.

We did Venice, Rome, Tuscany, Florence & Ravenna. Lot's of museums, art and architecture but lot's of country side too.

We spent several weeks moving around by cruise ship, train, some car and a little biking. We stayed in a 4 star American style hotel, a cruise ship, a typical in-town hotel, an artist's bed and breakfast and a country side inn.

Some thoughts;
If you only have a week and don't want to tromp around museums, less is more. You may want to trim the list of places a bit. It tends to take a day to get from place to place. You'll be seriously lagged for the first 2 days or so.

If you like rural country side and really want a great taste of it, Tuscany is great (that's where my SO mainly wanted to go... I had no idea). Select a region, a town and an 'inn'. Rent a car and drive around. You can do that for 1 day or 5 and see different, interesting, beautiful stuff - vineyards and farms everywhere. Medieval towns with walls and castles and very much still being lived in. Every meal can be great and relatively cheap. Expect to take time to eat and drink.

If you really don't want to do the urban thing, skip Rome and Paris. Venice is 100% tourist oriented but great. Florence can get intense too but not so much. All are very special places but major cities in their own right.

It's amazing how few private aircraft there are in the skies. When you hear one, you'll notice.

Enjoy!!

Diana: you and Tom deserve the best trip ever! CJane and I have only been to Paris together, spent a week there and could happily spend a month more. Had always heard about how rude Parisians were, but the rude ones were apparently all on holiday when we were there, as it was nothing but great folks we encountered.

Come to think of it, I believe I will come along with you! ;-)

If you drive, which we like better than trains (it's harder to leave bags and stuff in the trunk of the train overnight) a loop through Canne, chinque terre, (stay in Santa Margarita and use the train for the tour) Pisa (not much there but you can take the obligatory picture of Tom holding up the tower) then through Tuscany, as many hill towns as you can stand (we like all of them) Florence and back through Lake Como is fun. All the tollways take credit cards, so road travel is dog simple, and they drive on our side of the road so you don't have to worry about getting totaled by turning the wrong way on a round-about.

Once you're there, be prepared to love it and want to stay longer or come back sooner. Tuscany is our favorite place in the world, and we've been to most of them.

I do the trip regularly.

Shop the airfares with different airlines. Many times you can do an "open jaw" (fly into one city and back out of another) with little added expense. If you're stuck having to do the same city both ways, look at the cost of a Round Trip (RT) ticket on a European airline (like Easyjet) and throw away the return - a RT is often much cheaper than a one way.

Cellphones: depends on what you have. ATT generally works well both here and abroad, but you will pay for the privilege. I am loving my Verizon 4G world phone - it works here, Europe, Asia, and South America without a problem. If you don't have a world phone, Verizon will rent one. Get the international data pack for either ATT or Verizon and set the phone up for minimum over-the-air data usage (use wifi at the hotels whenever possible). TMobile and Sprint have horrid international data plans - TMo used to have a better voice roaming plan, but I've dumped them due to the data costs.

Best if you can get a local SIM card. Rules differ by country - I have a TIM card for Italy that I keep active, I've heard some folks talk favorably of HolidayPhone.com for Paris, and I have used a local Vodaphone SIM in Spain. In London, there are vending machines at the airport for SIM cards - I've not seen that in Paris or other countries (some countries have identification rules for folks buying SIMs).

Renting a car is straightforward. While I have a really good corporate deal, I'm going to assume you don't... in which case I highly recommend a US-based broker like AutoEurope. I have had excellent service from AutoEurope, and great pricing to boot. Be aware that some rental companies in Europe have different rules for Italy. You really want to avoid driving in the cities. Seriously, take the train and public transit. Parking is expensive (hotel at Karlsruhe was over US $20 for the night last month - Paris is much higher). It is easy to arrange a car rental pickup in-town or at the outskirts. Also, taxes on airport car rentals are much higher... I sometimes save money by taking the train into town and getting a rental there.

London and Paris have "luxury taxes" (air passenger duty) that they assess on flights leaving their countries. Paris is less than London, Brussels is less than Paris, Spain and Italy were (last time I checked) much more reasonable. Better to fly into Paris and leave from somewhere else.

All that said, the countryside is mighty fine. In France, I've had excellent luck from http://www.chateauxhotels.com/ which is a booking agent for hundreds of small, local hotels outside of the major cities. Some of my most memorable stays were hotels at listed there. If I recall, there is a similar site for Italy.

Where to go depends on season & what you want to see. For Spring, Provence in France is really nice, as is Tuscany in Italy.

Wine country for spring & summer. Besides spring, fall is nice for Tuscany in Italy (it gets very crowded in the summer, likewise the coast of France - Nice, San Tropez - is very crowded in summer). Paris is full of Americans in August - the French go on holiday that month. Personally, I like Vienna, Budapest, and Prague in the late Novemeber/all of December winter when it's cold & crisp and the Christmas markets are out. Each season is different.

April will have some chilly nights & spring-like days. April is tulip season in Holland (and Istanbul). You'll find flowers out in the south of France.

So much to recommend - if you can narrow it down a bit, can probably help more.

With only a week, I'd really limit the traveling. You will be exhausted. No less than two nights per stop, and ideally no less than three but I can see wanting to really cover ground, too. If you can make it nine days, that would be 3-4 stops.

This means, at least, picking one country. France or Italy. Venice Florence Rome would be perfect.

I'll read the answers you got and come back later..

Beth's right - don't overdo it. Better to see less and enjoy than try to do too much.

BTW, you may just not want to come back... :lol:

I'd do Italy first as well, if for no other reason than that the people smile, act friendly and try to help if you need it. The French, on the other hand, seem to spend most of their time looking down their noses at people who don't pronouce it (whatever it is) as they think it should be pronounced, that is when they're not totally ignoring their customers while doing whatever-the-hell else they seem to need to do.

And if you're flying, assume that the French controllers will be on strike at least one day while you're there, usually starting about 4 pm local so they can screw up the evening push.

With only a week, I'd really limit the traveling. You will be exhausted. No less than two nights per stop, and ideally no less than three but I can see wanting to really cover ground, too. If you can make it nine days, that would be 3-4 stops.

This means, at least, picking one country. France or Italy. Venice Florence Rome would be perfect.

I'll read the answers you got and come back later..

I lived in Germany for ~3 years, and I've traveled in W Europe plenty. One week isn't remotely enough to do W Europe justice. For one week, I would concentrate on Paris, and make a side trip to the wine country to the east and maybe down the Rhine a bit.

Also, I would re-think your aversion to museums. It's what they do, and they do it very well. There are things in museums in Europe that deserve a trip of their own, even if it isn't your cup of tea exactly.

Also, the 'countryside' of much of Europe isn't really set up for American tourists. While many hoteliers and restaurants in major cities will have a passing knowledge of English, when you get out in the country that rapidly diminishes. Unless you speak passable French, you're gonna be kind of stuck.

If you want to do a country driving tour, I would suggest flying into something further south like Zurich and cruising around the Alps which are very beautiful in April and May, but be ready for cool weather.

One of the common mistakes is to try to jam too much of Europe into one short trip. It has a lot of focus areas that all deserve some time on their own. When people do that, they come away with few memories of much but a camera full of 'destinations' that they check off. Paris - Luxembourg - Strasbourg - Paris is plenty for 8-9 days. The countryside of rural central France is, well - boring.

Paris-Amsterdam would be very nice, too. Plus you can see the tulips if you make it later in April...

Ps. I don't find the French unfriendly, per se, (the opposite, actually) but they are not FRIENDLY like the Italians. You will be treated very warmly in Italy. Although Rome can be hit or miss. But always entertaining. ;)

And Amsterdam you guys could burn it down a little bit maybe take some shrooms get lost and laugh a bit.. I don't know. Could be fun

I could spend a week easily in any of those places and have!!!

First cellphones. You iPhone will work fine in Europe, make sure you have international service with ATT. Then also make sure you TURN YOU DATA OFF!!! You do not want to pay the roaming charges for data in Europe. Last year I hurt myself in Prague and had to go to the hospital. I needed a copy of my travel insurance card from work, so my boss emailed it. I downloaded it to my phone to show the hospital. That single data download of my email was a bit over $600 US!!! For data, use WiFi. In the cities it is as prevalent as the US and works the same way, sometimes you pay, many times it is free. YMMV.

Ok for stuff to do.

Museums. I know you said you were not interested. But really, planning a trip to Florence or Paris without seeing museums????!!!!! These are some of the greatest museums on the planet!!! The art is like nothing you have ever seen! Don't miss out, please reconsider that decision.

For a first time trip to Europe I would also say stick to the big cities. The countryside is not as tourist friendly and if you do not at least speak some of the local language you may be completely lost. Also be aware of you credit cards. Make sure you let them know where you are traveling so that they work. Also in the countryside not all places take credit cards or if they do might not be able to take ones with magnetic strips. The US is still using that 1970s technology and have not gotten on board with the rest of the world who uses chip and PIN credit cards. Also eWallents are starting be used a lot more in Europe where they are still a rare thing in the US. This is a lot less of a problem in the big cities where you might only have the magnetic strip vs chip/PIN problem in taxi cabs.

Trains=best way for intercity travel. If you are not comfortable driving in a big city in the US you are going to be way over your head in city driving in Europe. Lanes are narrower, traffic denser and signs may not be exactly what you are used to. All the more reason for first timers to stick to a bigger city at first.

Parisians: Not at all like they are portrayed. No different than any other city person I have ever met. In fact I have had some really great Parisian experience. Had a ride where my SO and the driver were laughing and telling each other jokes, she speaks French. We go to tip him 3EUR and he give 1 back saying 3 is too much. I HAVE NEVER MET A TAXI DRIVER ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET WHO REFUSED A TIP!!!

Learn a few word of French. They are very polite in speech. When walking in or starting to talk to someone always start with Bonjour (good day) in the evening Bonsoir (Good evening) what ever you ask for say S'il vous plait (Please) and Merci (thank you). You have those words and nothing else you will be ok in Paris and the locals will appreciate your attempt at language and manners.

If you are still dead set against museums.....Rome. The ruins are fabulous, Vatican is amazing and the food is great. But if you want to try museums and this may be your only time then either Florence or Paris. I really cannot speak to Venice as it is one of the few places I have ever been. But Woodstock has been there and she knows Italy much better than me.

Now if all of that has not scared you and you still want to drive and see scenery I have two suggestions. The south of France, Nice to be exact. You can drive all along the coast and see many things. Lots of cool little towns and famous places. I have spent much time there as I HAVE to work on the Riviera a lot. The other great driving place, Italy, specifically the Amalfi coast. That is down just south of Naples. That would also allow you visits to Pompei (AWESOME), Sorrento and a short boat ride to Capri ( home of the debauches of Caligula during the Roman era).

At any rate have fun, don't over do it.

BTW I am river cruising in France this summer. Something I have always wanted to do. You might consider one of those as well.

FWIW London, while not on your list is a great place for the first timer too. The language is not too different than 'Merican. The prices are high but what you can see there will make sense as a lot of the history are things you have heard about. It is also easy to travel. The tube is a piece of cake. Having lived there I have my favorite places to go and many of them are not known to tourists. I am still a regular at a few places as I will stop for 18 hours on the way home just to visit them and see my friends.

Last edited:
I have friends that live on a small island off the coast of France called Noirmoutier. I have yet to go but from what I have seen it is absolutely beautiful. My friends said that it is a 4 hour drive to Paris.

In Venice, (and don't let anybody talk you out of going to Venice!) make sure and walk around behind the altar in San Marco to see an amazing piece of metal art.
If you enjoy the countryside there is a trail in Cinque Terre that lets you walk the coast for several miles from town to town. Great walk. Parts were closed after the floods a couple years ago but may be all open now.
Have a great time!
PS: along the French Riviera you can rent a scooter and cruise the coast for better viewing and easier parking wherever you wish.

I find the French - and particularly the Parisians - are no worse than New Yorkers. In other words, most are friendly, some appear to be brusque but will let down that facade if you try your best to speak their langauge.

I have had little issue with credit cards. Despite that, I arranged for "Chip" cards from Chase (Marriott Rewards) and Amex for my trip in December to Germany. They were provided without question & worked well (though one booth vendor looked a little confused when the machine spit out a signature slip instead of asking for a PIN, the card was readily accepted). Note that some machines (like gas pumps and train ticket dispensers) will not accept US cards, even the chipped ones.

Europe is still cash-oriented. Very few places will refuse cash. Make sure your ATM card works overseas and that you have sufficient funds. I highly recommend that you create a separate checking account w/ATM card just for travel. That way if your card gets stolen you will not be cleaned out.

Wow! Thanks everyone! Lots of good info here! :yes: I'll be referencing this thread many times while planning our trip.

I forgot to mention that Tom wants to go to Normandy.

Another question...is one airline any better than another as far as leg room is concerned?

I'd love to stay longer, but it's hard to leave the farm for that long.

Diana: you and Tom deserve the best trip ever!
Awww. :) We've had a few obstacles to deal with in the past year, but things are looking up now.

Had always heard about how rude Parisians were, but the rude ones were apparently all on holiday when we were there, as it was nothing but great folks we encountered.
It probably helps that you're a "smooth talker". ;)

Come to think of it, I believe I will come along with you! ;-)
:hairraise:

;)

I forgot to mention that Tom wants to go to Normandy.

Another question...is one airline any better than another as far as leg room is concerned?

Normandy's worth the trip. There are enough english-speaking tourists that go there that you shouldn't have a problem.

United, Delta, and American now offer more legroom, but you do need to pay a bit more for the seats. Not sure how much more as I have status on Delta and American that allow me access to the seats for free - I think it's in the $100 range each way.

On Air France & BA, I think they call it the Premium Economy cabin, and they do charge a fair amount more for it.

As as far as standard economy, there really isn't a difference that I've been able to notice. Someone said there was an inch or two difference between different models of Airbus vs. Boeing, but I'm not very tall, so my knees don't hit, and I've never noticed it.

You can upgrade with a lot of carriers as someone already mentioned earlier. Delta, United, etc. Delta charges around $20 for extra legroom in exit row seats on some lanes, sometimes you can catch it for free. The cost for economy comfort with Delta, which does give you a considerable more amount of room, also depends on the lane and can be from $40 to $160 per leg of the trip.

If you've got American Express you could be in luck. Just sign up for Amex's airline program which is free, and they will reimburse you for any airline cost other than your ticket. So seat upgrades, baggage fees, wireless fees, etc. can all be reimbursed. If you've got the Amex Delta card, you get the miles AND the refund, so it's like getting free miles and it never makes sense NOT to upgrade.

If you're not a frequent flier, make sure you sign up before you go. You don't want to miss the points you're going to earn for this trip.

It has been a very long time since I've been to either country, early 60s for Italy and late 80s for France.

I found the French to be very helpful as long as I didn't expect or ask for help. Stand in a Paris Metro station reading the system map and someone would offer to help us figure things out for example. As a Civilian working on the economy in Germany in the 80s vacationing in France - found people friendlier than I remembered from the 60s as a US sailor visiting Cannes/Nice with thousands of other sailors.

Italy was nice in the north and graduated to less and less nice as one went south. Genoa was nice, Palermo (Sicily) not so nice. Naples not as nice a Genoa but nicer than Palermo (from the perspective of a US enlisted sailor on port visits)

Germany was more to my taste. Spent nearly 10 years there.

Diana, is the April date set in stone?

I agree with May travel, but have needed jackets and umbrellas more that I'd like in April.

IMHO, April and May are the perfect times to go. Before the American tourists hit in June.

Only 1 week? The best advice above was to not try and do too much. While Scott hasn't been to Venice, I have, 21 years ago. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Remember the advice of one of our favorite travel writers. Go for a walk and keep reminding yourself that you are on an island and can't get off. You can't get too lost. Heck, everywhere you go there are signs pointing to San Marco or Rialto. Once there you know where you are and away you go again. :D

You can kill the better part of a week in Rome without even trying. Same thing with Paris. And London? Too much to see in a week. Normandy? I wouldn't miss it. Been there, same trip as Venice in 1992. Well worth the visit.

You'll have a ball, and you'll want to go back, sooner, rather than later. Take lots of pictures.

The ONE big tip. Get a Garmin GPS and the special SD card for France or Italy with directions in english. That is a fricken life saver. In fact if you decide you want to drive PM me and you are welcome to borrow mine.
Thanks for the offer! :) We were wondering about that. Our 496 would be too big to lug around. We have an old eTrex... I'll check to see if we can get the SD card for for it.

Thanks for the offer! :) We were wondering about that. Our 496 would be too big to lug around. We have an old eTrex... I'll check to see if we can get the SD card for for it.

Diana, before you buy/carry another box, if you have an iPhone or Android, get an off-line map program that you can load in your device. The GPS in those devices is pretty good & an offline map doesn't suck data while you're traveling. I use them all the time in my androids - I gave up on separate GPS units some time ago.

We paid the $60 for Garmin maps of Ireland for our Nuvi.

Likely saved the marriage :D

I actually use my iPhone when walking around and the GPS when driving. In France for example most all of the rental cars are registered in a northern district with low taxes, thus easily identified by thieves. I say this because I wouldn't want to lose a 496 or carry it around everywhere I stopped. I just bought a Garmin on clearance for $80. Also, don't leave any luggage, etc. in a rental car especially in a car park.

Diana, before you buy/carry another box, if you have an iPhone or Android, get an off-line map program that you can load in your device. The GPS in those devices is pretty good & an offline map doesn't suck data while you're traveling. I use them all the time in my androids - I gave up on separate GPS units some time ago.
Bill, I have an iPhone. How do I get that map program? Would it be available as an app?

We paid the $60 for Garmin maps of Ireland for our Nuvi.

Likely saved the marriage :D

No kidding, us too.:D

I don't mind the iPhone for walking, where you can just stop and look at it anytime you want. Driving in a foreign country, approaching a round about in heavy traffic, I want a Garmin talking to me in english and graphically displaying the exit, proper lane, etc.

Bill, I have an iPhone. How do I get that map program? Would it be available as an app?

Yes, it's an app. There are several. CoPilot is one, I think TomTom also has an app. Don't know whether Garmin does. Take a look in the App Store.

I use a couple of free programs on the Android. (I know there are a couple of free programs on Apple that use OpenStreetMap - I've not tried the Apple programs, so can't recommend, but suggest you take a look at them, too, and reviews online through a google search).

Last edited:
If Normandy is a must, then your trip should be:

Paris
Normandy
One other spot. Other parts of Normandy, or, Brittany. Mont St Michel, too.

You could even do what I did with my Dad a few years ago:

http://skywalkerbeth.blogspot.com/2010/01/trip-reportphotos-paris-brittany.html

The Loire Valley is really nice too. I have a friend who splits his time between a little town outside of Saumur, which is close to Tours, and Paris, and I've spent a total of probably six weeks living with him and his family. There's some absolutely gorgeous countryside, but to see the chateaux and a lot of the countryside, you'd need a car. Or maybe go on one of those tour bus things, but I don't know how that works. I don't know how much you would like the chateaux if you don't want to do museums, but some of them (Chambord Chenonceau to name two) are really impressive. They're not "museums" like the Louvre at all, though they do have some interesting information. Mainly, though, it's about exploring the chateaux.

It's incredibly beautiful countryside definitely worth a visit.

Just realized you said you only have a week. The poster that said pick 2 things plus Normandy was right. Not enough time to do much else. To see more you'll waste most your time on the train, though it is a nice way to see the countryside... It took us all night to train from Paris to the Riviera.

A week is a really short time to spend in Europe.

I recommend at least trying your best to learn some of the native language to try to find your way around. The French are friendly and have great food. If you need to save some bucks, never hesitate to go to the grocery store and buy some bread and cheese.

Driving in Europe, so long as you brief yourself on the signage and rules/laws, is a breeze. I loooooooved driving in Europe (especially Germany!). However, European public transit is great. The Metro in France is a bit grimy but it works. Nothing is as reliable as the German-speaking countries, though. If you want to go far out in the country, take the scenic route, and maybe stop in small town France, get a car. Trains are good for inter city travel.

Eat. Just eat. Even if you aren't really that hungry, you should probably eat it. Drink, too. Coffee, tea, specialties, booze, etc. Just try it. I remember in Konstanz, I was always able to find this weird Swiss soda that was all malty and sweet. It was peculiar, but I couldn't get enough of it. Prix fixe dining is common, and it's always just the right portion. Don't be afraid to get steak and fries in France - you won't be disappointed! Oh, and if you go out in the country, try to find a local market! Oh man... The food I ate there...

Also, leave your fanny packs and sneakers at home. And speak quietly! People tend to dress nicely in Europe even if they are just going to the grocery store. It's not like here in the U.S. where you'll find people in sweatpants eating at Olive Garden.

As far as Paris is concerned, go to the top of the Arc d'Triumph (spelling?). A lot cheaper than the Eiffel Tower and it's a fantastic view. Plus, you get to marvel at the beauty of the roundabout below. I didn't go to many museums in Paris, but I'm sure you could find something you might like.

I shouldn't have to say this, but keep an eye on your belongings. A good place to keep spare cash is your sock. If it looks sketchy, don't go down there.

Someone mentioned going through the Alps - do it! If you get a chance, visit the city of Grenoble in France. Oh man. What a view!

I never went to Italy. The women are nice, though. Heyo!

As far as Paris is concerned, go to the top of the Arc d'Triumph (spelling?). A lot cheaper than the Eiffel Tower and it's a fantastic view. Plus, you get to marvel at the beauty of the roundabout below. I didn't go to many museums in Paris, but I'm sure you could find something you might like.

Amen to that. Remember that there are subway paths under that circle so you can get to the Arc without risking life and limb crossing that 10 lane traffic circle. As a dumb 19 year old I crossed the traffic - once. Not once since. :D

Back