Suggestions about France/Italy from you worldly travelers?

Cafe de la Paix in Paris. Don't let the opulence bother you. Early evenings one can enjoy tea or express on the patio people watching at reasonable prices. Very classic hotel to walk through. Rooms were a bit small by our standards, but pretty standard for older hotels in Paris.

Best,

Dave

Cafe de la Paix in Paris. Don't let the opulence bother you. Early evenings one can enjoy tea or express on the patio people watching at reasonable prices. Very classic hotel to walk through. Rooms were a bit small by our standards, but pretty standard for older hotels in Paris.

Best,

Dave

Agree with Dave. Good place to people watch.

+1! Unlike restaurants here in the US, there will be no effort to run you off so that the restaurant can "turn" your table. You may sit there enjoying the view until you are ready to leave or they close for the night.

-Skip

Yeah, it's nice to have a waitstaff whose pay doesn't rely solely on tips. This way, they bother you less, the bill is one set price, and they are generally rather friendly.

Best,

Dave

And if you are going to go there, by all means GO INSIDE THE OPERA GARNIER.

We have bought our airline tickets for the Europe trip this fall ...

Portland to ORD, change to Scandinavian to Stockholm, change to Lufthansa to Munich. There we'll stay three nights about 20 miles southwest of Munich, in a tiny lakeside town where I spent a week on a student tour in 1968. I've been waiting 45 years to go back.

Then we'll fly to Venice for two nights; train to Siena for five days of sightseeing and mingling with the locals in the hill towns; then train to Rome for two nights. Mrs. Pilawt needs her Trevi Fountain fix.

The cheapest flights back to Portland from Rome are via Dublin on Aer Lingus. It doesn't cost any more to split it up and book a separate flight from Rome to Dublin, then DUB-ORD-PDX; so we'll take advantage of that and spend a couple of nights in Dublin.

This must really be happening. Just got the phone call from the bank inquiring about "suspicious activity" on our credit card! :)

We have bought our airline tickets for the Europe trip this fall ...

Portland to ORD, change to Scandinavian to Stockholm, change to Lufthansa to Munich. There we'll stay three nights about 20 miles southwest of Munich, in a tiny lakeside town where I spent a week on a student tour in 1968. I've been waiting 45 years to go back.

Then we'll fly to Venice for two nights; train to Siena for five days of sightseeing and mingling with the locals in the hill towns; then train to Rome for two nights. Mrs. Pilawt needs her Trevi Fountain fix.

The cheapest flights back to Portland from Rome are via Dublin on Aer Lingus. It doesn't cost any more to split it up and book a separate flight from Rome to Dublin, then DUB-ORD-PDX; so we'll take advantage of that and spend a couple of nights in Dublin.

This must really be happening. Just got the phone call from the bank inquiring about "suspicious activity" on our credit card! :)

That sounds like a fun trip! :yes:

I have another question for you all: How do you minimize jet lag?

So you think the local police has forgotten all about you ? :D

Enjoy ! One of the great places on earth.

You don't, really. Just power through day one. If you really must nap, try to keep it to under two hours shortly after arrival at your hotel. And if you do nap, try to stay up a little later that evening... I try to stay up until at least an hour past dark if possible.

If you can get through day one all the way, by the time you wake up the next morning you should be on local time. But that first day will REEK. It will be fun, but you will really feel draggy - don't make any decisions on that day. LOL

Last edited:
Even if you aren't an engineer, you would be remiss if you didn't spend half a day here(or more).

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/index.php?id=1&L=1

It's incredible.
It was fascinating when I was there in 1968; it must really be something now.

Europe_1968_%2520%2528135%2529.jpg

So you think the local police has forgotten all about you ? :D

Enjoy ! One of the great places on earth.

I owe the German Finanzamt 44 Deutsche Marks from an unpaid tax bill from 1997. They haven't nabbed me yet during any of my trips back.

So I do the melatonin thing a couple of days before i go, I sleep on the plane going over (sometimes fitfully, sometimes well), and a nice shower on arrival. Sometimes an hour nap, usually not. Get on the destination meal schedule ASAP, and just power through to bedtime. It helps if you can spend some time in the sun the day of arrival.

Asia is actually easier for me- US redeye transcons are the worst (I avoid them these days)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It was fascinating when I was there in 1968; it must really be something now.

Europe_1968_%2520%2528135%2529.jpg

The aviation collection has moved to a hangar facility at the Oberschleissheim airport. If one has the time, definitely worth the trip. It is about a 15min walk from the commuter train stop.

When you get to Europe, don't nap. Get out and walk. As Rick Steves says, "Jet lag hates bright light, sunshine and exercise."

You don't, really. Just power through day one. If you really must nap, try to keep it to under two hours shortly after arrival at your hotel. And if you do nap, try to stay up a little later that evening... I try to stay up until at least an hour past dark if possible.

If you can get through day one all the way, by the time you wake up the next morning you should be on local time. But that first day will REEK. It will be fun, but you will really feel draggy - don't make any decisions on that day. LOL

So I do the melatonin thing a couple of days before i go, I sleep on the plane going over (sometimes fitfully, sometimes well), and a nice shower on arrival. Sometimes an hour nap, usually not. Get on the destination meal schedule ASAP, and just power through to bedtime. It helps if you can spend some time in the sun the day of arrival.
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. :)

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. :)

ps. My "hour past dark" refers to summer time. I probably should have said I try to stay up until 10-11 PM most times. Stay up as late as you can.

Unless of course you have an early wake up on that morning - make sure to budget at least 9 hours of sleep this first night. If you have to be up at 6 AM to get packed to move to your next stop, try to be asleep at 9 PM the night before.

I always make sure my first full morning in, the morning I wake up there for the first time, that I do NOT have a set morning schedule and can sleep until I wake up - literally.

That's also pretty important, otherwise that tiredness might carry over for a few days. If you can ensure that your first morning wake up is when you are ready, you should be good to go for the rest of the trip. Just don't sleep until noon, that will defeat the purpose - usually I wake up fresh as a daisy around 8 AM - without an alarm - if I went to bed at 11 PM, 8 AM is 9 hours later and that always seems to work.

I will never fly Alitalia again. Others' mileage may vary, but 4 flight legs with them and each was bad in a unique way.

Wow! Thanks everyone! Lots of good info here! :yes: I'll be referencing this thread many times while planning our trip.

I forgot to mention that Tom wants to go to Normandy.

Another question...is one airline any better than another as far as leg room is concerned?

I'd love to stay longer, but it's hard to leave the farm for that long.

Awww. :) We've had a few obstacles to deal with in the past year, but things are looking up now.

It probably helps that you're a "smooth talker". ;)

:hairraise:

;)

Jet lag sucks. Moscow in summer it doesn't get dark until 3-4am, then light again by 7am. Makes resetting the body clock tough.
Sleep on the plane. Eat and get caffeine, power through to 10pm.
The next day, you can take a nap in the daytime, no more than 2 hours.

Remember, sunlight resets the body clock. So stay in the light. The day after arrival you'll want to sleep in. Do not. Get up, take a shower, and get outside as soon as possible into sunlight. Eat outdoors. If you take a nap, set an alarm, get up, and get outside.
Any time you start dragging, get into sunlight and keep moving.

Personally, we always get home two days before work. We found that getting home Sunday, we were running around trying to get ready for work the next day, and all the relaxation and de-stressing was blown.
For us, it's better to lose a day at the destination and stay relaxed after getting home.

Have a blast! We're going to Greece this fall.

I could use some packing tips on what not to take.
We've learned the hard way. Our days of traveling with steamer trunks are over.

Pack for best-case scenario and buy anything else you need over there. Here are some tips:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlist.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpack.htm

Be aware that in Europe carry-ons are often limited to 10kg, in some cases to 8kg. Fees for checked bags and overweight carry-ons are discounted if you pay them in advance -- when you book, or even online a few hours before the flight. If you're already at the checkin counter and discover that bags are overweight or need to be checked, the fees will be higher.

Pack for best-case scenario and buy anything else you need over there. Here are some tips:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlist.htm
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpack.htm

Be aware that in Europe carry-ons are often limited to 10kg, in some cases to 8kg. Fees for checked bags and overweight carry-ons are discounted if you pay them in advance -- when you book, or even online a few hours before the flight. If you're already at the checkin counter and discover that bags are overweight or need to be checked, the fees will be higher.
Thanks for the links and information. :)

Beth, thanks for the heads-up. :) I looked at his luggage and couldn't find one that is big enough for all my stuff. :redface: I could use some packing tips on what not to take.

I almost always have two bags. The 21 inch bag goes in the hold, the 19 inch bag is carryon. Plus my "personal item" - I use a massive messenger bag for my dSLR and lens, book, glasses, wallet, iPhone, etc etc etc... like a huge purse.. and the daily purse is packed away and comes out once I am through security - or I've landed, whichever.

If you do that, you should have more than enough room to pack what you need - but it is still a good idea to winnow down what you are taking with you...

Never get used to a single time zone and learn to live in a constate of jet lag. Then I manage sleep and awake with copious amounts of alcohol or coffee as needed. :D

I go to Europe so often that jet lag is not that big a deal.

I do two things for Europe. First I like the early morning flight from Chicago to Heathrow. I get in at 10pm London time. I then sleep at the Hilton near terminal 4. That way I get a bed. If I cannot get that flight and have to take the typical evening flight I try to sleep as much as I can on that flight. I like BA's flight where you have dinner in the lounge so that when you board the FAs do not bother you with a dinner service and you can go straight to bed.

I then will nap most of the ret of the next day. I do take a nice shower and clean up and go out for dinner that night. I try to get into bed early and sleep as much as I can. That pretty much negates my jet lag for the week.

Asia is much harder!!! I found for that I just sleep when I am tired and be awake when I am awake. That means going to bed at 5pm and waking up at 2am so be it!

Beth, thanks for the heads-up. :) I looked at his luggage and couldn't find one that is big enough for all my stuff. :redface: I could use some packing tips on what not to take.
My general rule for packing is that you can use most things more than once with one exception, underwear.

I wear my pants for up to 3 days. I simply hang them up after a day. Shirts can be worn twice and socks also for 2-3 days. Most hotels have an iron so you can repress things. I also bring a t-shirt and work out shorts. You really only need one pair of shoes!!! Seriously! ONE PAIR! Since I am a biz traveller I use black sneakers. looks like a dress shoes, performs like a sneaker.

Depending on the weather a sweater or a light jacket and bring a small travel umbrella for the summer.

Toiletries: Pack the small bottles of stuff and remember you can buy more if you run out. They have that stuff in Europe! It is not like going to Uganda!

No need for a hair dryer, hotels have them. You should be able to pack a week of stuff in a 28" bag with no problem. And remember: big luggage=big luggage fees for you non-frequent travelers.

For a week in Europe I can get away with 6 shirts, two pairs of pants, three pair of socks and underwear in a 21" rollaboard. I also carry on a small computer bag with my travel electronics.

BTW you should look at Pacsafe purses and get one for your trip. Tourists are easy targets and often completely useless when it comes to realizing what is happening around them.

Last edited:
My general rule for packing is that you can use most things more than once with one exception, underwear.

I wear my pants for up to 3 days. I simply hang them up after a day. Shirts can be worn twice and socks also for 2-3 days. Most hotels have an iron so you can repress things. I also bring a t-shirt and work out shorts. You really only need one pair of shoes!!! Seriously! ONE PAIR! Since I am a biz traveller I use black sneakers. looks like a dress shoes, performs like a sneaker.

Depending on the weather a sweater or a light jacket and bring a small travel umbrella for the summer.

Toiletries: Pack the small bottles of stuff and remember you can buy more if you run out. They have that stuff in Europe! It is not like going to Uganda!

No need for a hair dryer, hotels have them. You should be able to pack a week of stuff in a 28" bag with no problem. And remember: big luggage=big luggage fees for you non-frequent travelers.

For a week in Europe I can get away with 6 shirts, two pairs of pants, three pair of socks and underwear in a 21" rollaboard. I also carry on a small computer bag with my travel electronics.

BTW you should look at Pacsafe purses and get one for your trip. Tourists are easy targets and often completely useless when it comes to realizing what is happening around them.

Easy to do this for a week in that size bag. Even if I add a coat, slacks and tie in the lid compartment. Then the backpack covers the laptop and all other electronics. DO NOT put those items in a checked bag. Not for any reason. You may not see them again.

Packing: I don't check bags. Not worth the hassle - I can do 7-10 days with a single carry-on (plus personal item). I'll wear heavier clothes on the plane, which leaves more room for lighter stuff in the bag.

Underwear and socks get worn for a single day. Likewise dress shirts (if I need to take them). In winter, wool merino sweaters can be worn more than one day & they're warm. Dockers/khakis take up less space than blue jeans and are perfectly acceptable in most places. I'll wear a sport jacket (or suit, if I have a suit-required meeting) & carry a light pair of dress slacks in the bag.

As Scott notes, you can buy stuff there. The hotels I stay in have soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Most hotels have hair dryers (some have curling irons, but I can promise you that I can't use one). Some hotels have tooth brushes and paste - but they're small enough to not make a difference in packing. Buy a small tube of paste at Target - less than a buck.

I sometimes take a pair of workout shoes - I've got a very small, thin, flexible pair that takes little space. I wear a pair of slip-on shoes that are acceptable for meetings or walking. I stuff them with clothing (socks, underwear) so there is no space wasted.

Roll your clothes rather than folding. They'll pack tighter & require less ironing. Leave no "dead" space - if you take extra shoes, fill 'em.

You can always do laundry on the road. Either pay the hotel $$$ to do it, wash stuff in the sink (get a small tube of Woolite-like detergent locally), or check the hotel for a laundromat - some hotels have guest laundry rooms, some don't... but nearly all towns will have one. I remember stopping at a laundromat in a small town in the UK and eating lunch at the restaurant next door while processing clothes. A couple of pounds to do the laundry and a good local lunch... both for less than the cost of 2 pair of pants at the hotel valet laundry.

If you decide to bring stuff home, be aware of what you can and can't bring. No meat, produce, plants, snails (escargot) etc. Bulbs and flower seeds MAY be OK if they are specially approved inspected by the US and have a special stamp on them. No cuban cigars. Limited amounts of wine - remember that liquids DO have to be checked and can't be carried on-board. Candy is usually OK, but you generally have to declare food. etc. etc.

Oh, one other idea if you plan to do much shopping over there - take old clothes that you plan to throw away, wear them once, and throw them away over there... then use the extra space for stuff you buy over there.

All you guys that can do carryons - ffffft.

You cannot travel heavy, happy, and cheap. Pick two. I choose heavy and happy. Although heavy is a relative term - each of my bags I can lift over my head, I just happen to have two of them. I'd rather have two smaller bags than one huge bag.

Now coming HOME from a trip is a different story. I can go nutso on clothes buying and frequently have to buy yet another suitcase. A good chunk of my clothes/shoes/hangbags I bought somewhere in Europe (usually Paris or somewhere in Italy). Even what I have on today - top/bottom Italy, handbag London. Etc. That isn't even an egregious example. Usually add shoes to that, scarves, jewelry.

Have fun!

Guys just don't seem to need to bring as much stuff as girls... :D:D:D

(True story: one of our female VPs showed up at a 4 day corporate meeting with 3 - 30+ inch suitcases. She said one bag was full of shoes. Only shoes. For a 4 day meeting, which included arrival and departure day.)

You cannot travel heavy, happy, and cheap. Pick two. I choose heavy and happy. Although heavy is a relative term - each of my bags I can lift over my head, I just happen to have two of them. I'd rather have two smaller bags than one huge bag.

It's not about the money for me - I get "free" checked bags on the airlines I usually fly as part of "status". It's about convenience (not having to wait...), ease of rebooking if I need to change, & the risk of lost bags. Heavy business travel gets you trained: most airlines won't rebook you in the event of flight delays or allow you to standby for earlier flights if you have checked bags. That makes a huge difference to me. (It's also really, really nice to be through immigration, customs, and security for a connecting flight before folks get their bags on the customs carousel).

So, I travel "light and happy".

Now coming HOME from a trip is a different story. I can go nutso on clothes buying and frequently have to buy yet another suitcase. A good chunk of my clothes/shoes/hangbags I bought somewhere in Europe (usually Paris or somewhere in Italy). Even what I have on today - top/bottom Italy, handbag London. Etc. That isn't even an egregious example. Usually add shoes to that, scarves, jewelry.

And you have a great wardrobe to show for it. I do limited clothes shopping overseas (OK, silk ties in Como, Italy are an exception...), but have shipped art back to the States. Beats carrying it.
Have fun!

Likewise...

Heavy business travel gets you trained: most airlines won't rebook you in the event of flight delays or allow you to standby for earlier flights if you have checked bags. That makes a huge difference to me.

I found the magic word to re-book with checked luggage. It is 'volsep', when I tell them that I will accept a voluntary separation, it relieves their obligation to ship the luggage to my hotel and I have never had an issue to rebook (yet I had to swing by the airport later that day to pick up my bags).

But yes, if it's just me, it's only my 21in wheeliebag that is slim enough to even fit into the CRJ200 overhead. But I'm not a girl either.

Diana, tell Tom he must find some lightweight nylon overalls rather than those cotton ones. That alone will cut down significantly on the packing problems. :D

Heavy business travel gets you trained
So, I travel "light and happy".

Two words: "Gate Check"
19 hard side bag for a week in DC, with two packed suits, two extra pants, a couple casual shirts, plus on the way back my overcoat went in the bag.
My wife cannot comprehend it.

Two computers in an expandable shoulder bag (my luck, I have to travel with a client PC, my company PC, my client IPad, and my personal MS Surface).

EDIT: Easy way to pack a suit coat into a suitcase: http://lifehacker.com/5723295/fold-a-suit-coat-for-packing-the-right-way

Last edited:
Guys just don't seem to need to bring as much stuff as girls... :D:D:D

(True story: one of our female VPs showed up at a 4 day corporate meeting with 3 - 30+ inch suitcases. She said one bag was full of shoes. Only shoes. For a 4 day meeting, which included arrival and departure day.)
Another true story. The crew chief and I were flying on an airline to go to the delivery of our new airplane. They told us it would take three or four days. I brought a 21" carry-on. He had two huge suitcases that he had to check. I didn't even know what to say. He told me he wanted to make sure he had clothes for every possibility. :eek:

Come to think of it, I don't even own anything bigger than a 21" suitcase and I travel a lot.

Diana, tell Tom he must find some lightweight nylon overalls rather than those cotton ones. That alone will cut down significantly on the packing problems. :D
:D Thank you Wayne, for your perspective. :D He would wear his Big Macs to Europe if he knew I wouldn't mind. That man loves his Big Macs!

Another true story. The crew chief and I were flying on an airline to go to the delivery of our new airplane. They told us it would take three or four days. I brought a 21" carry-on. He had two huge suitcases that he had to check. I didn't even know what to say. He told me he wanted to make sure he had clothes for every possibility. :eek:

Tell him.... (on second thought, never mind :nono:).
Come to think of it, I don't even own anything bigger than a 21" suitcase and I travel a lot.

Likewise. I can pack in 30 minutes to an hour, a bit longer if I need to find some little-used foreign power adaptor that I need that has gotten buried in a drawer somewhere.

Tell him.... (on second thought, never mind :nono:).

Likewise. I can pack in 30 minutes to an hour, a bit longer if I need to find some little-used foreign power adaptor that I need that has gotten buried in a drawer somewhere.

I can pack very quickly too. I have it down to a science. And all the little things like adaptors etc always stay in one place.

And all the little things like adaptors etc always stay in one place.

That.
Power adapter, portable three-outlet adapter (with 2 USB outlets), and two microusb cables are in a compartment in my toiletry kit.
Additional specialty cables and such are in my computer bag.

Have fun!

Any shopping favorites you can share? I have several Longchamp handbags I got in Brussels, but I'm always scouting out nice handbags. My other favorite is a Barbour jacket.

Any shopping favorites you can share? I have several Longchamp handbags I got in Brussels, but I'm always scouting out nice handbags. My other favorite is a Barbour jacket.

Handbags: Mulberry in London... Sequoia in Paris, also, Cecile et Jeanne in Paris (also interesting jewelry there)... and in Italy many times you can find really stylish leather bags that aren't brand name - Venice and Florence are both fantastic for handbags like that. in Florence you can also find gorgeous leather duffel bags that are likely made right in Florence - not branded though.

Paris: Gerard Darel, Biscote... the Marais is really good for clothes shopping, as is St. Germain. I usually buy perfume in Paris, too. Latest favorites are Hermes and Annick Goutal.

It's been a while since I've been to Rome but you can go nuts with the Italian designers - or just the local brands, too.

Lake Como is great for anything silk.

One of these days I'm going to snag a Delvaux handbag when I'm in Belgium again...

PS, how could I forget Furla! I have a lot of Furla handbags. You can find them in the US pretty easily now, but ten years ago I only saw them in Italy.

Last edited:
Back