stolen aircraft and Avionics where do they go

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Where do stolen aircraft go, are their chop shops like cars do they go south of the border or what. I often wonder about avionics sold on ebay that only have the radio and no rack or plug or other things that would be removed in a upgrade.:popcorn:

There have been cases with avionics where the stolen unit was actually installed in another plane that had the same unit without the owner knowing it (until possibly years later, if ever). Then a stolen but "unreported" unit is the one that gets sold on ebay.

Some are used to run drugs.

Some avionics are resold with the buyer never knowing better, did you check the SNs of all your avionics when you bought or rented your plane??

I'd wager eBay would be the last place to sell hot stuff, way too public and too traceable.

But most of the planes stolen from CA, AZ, NM, TX I'd bet are just used to run drugs, especially the heavy lifters like 206, 185, 182, 210, togas, etc.

Never thought about the number of planes that are stolen. How many are stolen each year?

Had my plane close to twenty years and always leave the key in the ignition. Don't have to worry about loosing them or forgetting to bring them along.

Nobody wants to steal a 1974 Beech Sport. Not a big hauler, and slow to boot.

Some are used to run drugs.

Some avionics are resold with the buyer never knowing better, did you check the SNs of all your avionics when you bought or rented your plane??

I'd wager eBay would be the last place to sell hot stuff, way too public and too traceable.

But most of the planes stolen from CA, AZ, NM, TX I'd bet are just used to run drugs, especially the heavy lifters like 206, 185, 182, 210, togas, etc.
Looks like high value aircraft are the target with a c150 in too.
[FONT=&quot]ar & type[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registration& serial number[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Date & place stolen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Reward[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other information[/FONT]
1997 Beech 58 Baron N345MJ
TH-1823
Sept 1, 2014
Port-au-Paix
Haiti
$5,000.00 for information leading to INTACT RECOVERY
119ff864610113bd83e95aca9250de9e82ba1617.jpg
**REWARD POSTER** English
Reward Poster - Spanish
Reward Poster - French
CONTACT: If sighted notify your local POLICE & SIAI immediately at 386 677 7504 (avclaims1@cfl.rr.com); dhuie@pamav.com
1980 PIPER PA34-200T SENECA
N8214V 34-8070219
Dec 24, 2012
$5,000.00
for information leading to INTACT RECOVERY
White with Red Stripes. Interior – gray. Engine s/n: 312431 & 311439. Props s/n: EB-6152B & EB-6128B. Collins Avionics
Departed Nassau, Bahamas on Dec 12, 2012. **REWARD POSTER**
CONTACT: If sighted notify your local POLICE & SIAI immediately at 386 677 7504 (avclaims1@cfl.rr.com) Eric Rank, eric.rank@aig.com
N8214V.jpg

1972 Cessna 150L N211DA15073829
Last seen Dec 19 or 20, 2009 Tamiami Airport, FL
$2,500.00
for INTACT RECOVERY
Blue & White (blue upper/white lower w/ striped tail). Large white “N” numbers which may have been altered!
Last seen on the ramp at Tamiami Airport, Florida on December 19 or 20, 2009
CONTACT: If sighted notify your local POLICE & Sample Internat'l Aviation Inc. immediately at 386 677 7504 (avclaims1@cfl.rr.com)
Chartis Aerospace, Erik Janas 480 699 8491 (Erik.Janas@chartisinsurance.com)
ACPI 800-969 5473 (acpiusa@aol.com)
**FOUND**
1998 AVIAT CHRISTEN EAGLE II
N54CE JS1-97
JUNE 19-21, 2006 New Smryna Beach FL
Reward Paid

[FONT=&quot]1999 VELOCITY ELITE XLRG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]N457M [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3RX057[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]December 9, 2002 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lakeland FL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$20,000.00 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Light tan with brown. Tan leather interior. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] DETAILS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HUGHES 500D (369D)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]HK2563 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]310922D[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]March 7, 2001 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]El Yopal, Casanare, Colombia[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$20,000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]White with red stripe. Dark blue on belly and tail section. AYSA Logo over white. DETAILS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1983 CESSNA 172P[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]N88FR [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]172 75825[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8/10-8/11/00 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North Perry Airport, Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$3000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]White with light blue and dark blue stripes. Blue interior. Engine: Lycoming 0320D2J engine, L-10331-39A. Full Cessna avionics package. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1967 PIPER PA23-250 AZTEC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]N6083Y [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]27-3285[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12/28/99 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Opa Locka, Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]White with blue & gray stripes. Gold velour interior with gold carpet and beige headliner. Engines: Lycoming IO-540-C4B5. LE s/n: L-3625-48; RE s/n: L3570-48. ( 2000-02) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1980 Beech Kingair F90[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FOUND[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N88TW LA29[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 2/17/97 Treasure Cay Bahamas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]in process[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] White w blue & gray stripes. 4 blade props, "T" tail. King avionics, Bendix radar, North Star GPS. 97013 (Engines recovered and sold.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1981 Beech Kingair 200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N269TA BB749 [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 4/20/96 Nassau Bahamas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$15000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Lt brown w brown & orange stripes. Engines: PT-6A-41’s PCE80530 & 81789. 4 blade props, high float gear, Cleveland brakes. 96049[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1984 Beech Kingair 300[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N505WR FA15[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 2/18/96 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] DeLand FL[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5,000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] White w dark red and dark blue stripes. Engines: PT-6A-60’s PCE 95019 & 95054. 4 blade props. 96023. Reward revised 07/14/12.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1988 Beech Kingair 300[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N3122Z FA162[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 3/23/94 Nassau Bahamas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$10000.00[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Tan w two brown stripes. Engines: PT-6A-60’s PCE 95357 & 95355. 4 blade props. Primus radar. 94028[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1982 Beech Kingair B200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N74LV BB1074[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 1987[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Lt gray with dark gray, dark red & dark blue stripes. Engines PT-6A-42’s PCE 93527 & 93484. 3 blade props. 87023 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1978Beech Kingair 200[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N600DM BB414[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 4/9/90 West Palm Beach FL PBI[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5000.00[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] Beige with double blue stripes. Engines: PT6A-42’s 90030[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 1983 Cessna 441 Conquest[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N441JR 441-0303[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 8/19/90[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 1980 Cessna 441 ConquestI[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N442JA 441-0013[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 5/20/92[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Cessna 441[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Conquest II[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 441-0204[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 05/02/89[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 1990 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] MD (Hughes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] 500E (0369E)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] YV694C[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 0456E[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 05/20/96[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Maturin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Venezuela[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$15,000.00[/FONT]​
White w/ green stripe aft red stripe. Engine: Allison 250-C20-R/2 cag 295323
[FONT=&quot] 1978 Cessna[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] T206G[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] N445H[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 20604435[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] 12/02/98[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Delta, CO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5,000.00[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] White with orange and brown trim, brown leather interior, 3 blade prop, Cessna 300 series avionics, engine s/n: 230161-R[/FONT]

Who the he!! steals a Christen Eagle? Most pilots couldn't even land one without balling it up.

We just had a fatal in southeast Colorado near Trinidad last week. Interestingly, the plane had been reported as missing in northern Colorado a few months ago. It was a Zenith 701. It should be interesting to hear the rest of that story.

Carl

Whatever happened to that kid the barefoot one who stole several planes.

And , then there are some which get stolen, used to drop drugs and then the pilot bailed out with a chute while the plane is set on auto pilot and fly on till all the gas is gone..... Most are in the ocean /gulf,, some are in forests.. 95% will be NEVER found....:sad::sad::sad::mad2:

seems like they like king air how much are PT-6 parts worth?

I notice the government likes to steal people's planes for various stupid reasons

You check the SN on all avionics on airplanes you rent? LOL

Better question is.... Does the FBO renting the plane check the serial numbers when the plane is returned..:dunno::dunno::confused:..

Someone could just as easily take a allen wrench with them, swap out the unit and no one would be the wiser...:no:...:redface:

Better question is.... Does the FBO renting the plane check the serial numbers when the plane is returned..:dunno::dunno::confused:..

Someone could just as easily take a allen wrench with them, swap out the unit and no one would be the wiser...:no:...:redface:

That would be awesome if a thief swapped out a radio with a stolen radio not knowing the radio in the plane was already a stolen unit and he then gets busted when he tries to sell it on eBay.:yes: In my mind this has happened at least once and it makes me a little bit happy inside. :D

You check the SN on all avionics on airplanes you rent? LOL

Of course not, that's my point. Most planes could have a panel made up of 100% stolen avionics, stolen control surfaces, stolen seats, etc and they could easily fly for decades and decades, a lifetime even, and never know or hear about it.

I recently had my avionics upgraded and directed the shop to place my old radios in my plane, that I planned on selling them to offset the cost of the upgrade.

When I picked up my plane, guess what, no radios.

Narco MK 12D TSO NAV/COM 14 Volt S/N 21998.

Narco AT 150 TSO Transponder S/N 26431.

If anyone tries to sell these to you, you would be receiving stolen property.

Just a word to the wise.

The shop who did the work was Agape Avionics (formerly Penn Avionics) at Brandywine Airport; West Chester, PA (KOQN):nono:

Had my plane broken into one night on the ramp...nothing was missing, throttle lock may have saved it but first thing I did was pull the 430 and transponder to make sure the serial numbers matched my logs and I didn't get swapped.

When I was flying with CAP, they had these huge lockout devices that not only locked out both control columns but covered the radio stack and they were locked with a padlock. Would have made stealing the aircraft or radios very difficult.

seems like they like king air how much are PT-6 parts worth?

A lot, but for these parts to be sold to a legitimate operator, I think they need a paper trail? They like King Airs because there are tons of pilots for them, they can haul a big load off a rough strip and are common enough that no one notices them. :D

When I was flying with CAP, they had these huge lockout devices that not only locked out both control columns but covered the radio stack and they were locked with a padlock. Would have made stealing the aircraft or radios very difficult.

Massive full-panel orange metal things with two locks on them? Yeah, I've encountered that once or twice :D The CAP crew left the brakes on and that on the dash and the door locked in one of our bulk hangars once. Couldn't get into it if I wanted to.

Narco MK 12D TSO NAV/COM 14 Volt S/N 21998.

Narco AT 150 TSO Transponder S/N 26431.

If anyone tries to sell these to you, you would be receiving stolen property.

I wonder how disappointed those thieves were when they tried to fence their haul of sweet sweet avionics loot.

Massive full-panel orange metal things with two locks on them? Yeah, I've encountered that once or twice :D The CAP crew left the brakes on and that on the dash and the door locked in one of our bulk hangars once. Couldn't get into it if I wanted to.

Lol, forklift time. In boatyards there are always signs, "Leave your keys in your vehicle and doors unlocked beyond this point" Your car/truck in the way? We move it for you, either by driving it or with the forklift. If we need the fork lift, you get billed the standard hour minimum. Can't promise you won't need new exhaust either.

Had my plane broken into one night on the ramp...nothing was missing, throttle lock may have saved it but first thing I did was pull the 430 and transponder to make sure the serial numbers matched my logs and I didn't get swapped.

That's a good point, because it's a big scam.

Lol, forklift time. In boatyards there are always signs, "Leave your keys in your vehicle and doors unlocked beyond this point" Your car/truck in the way? We move it for you, either by driving it or with the forklift. If we need the fork lift, you get billed the standard hour minimum. Can't promise you won't need new exhaust either.

I've spent lots of time in several boatyards, and I've never seen that sign or known a boatyard that would damage a customer's car by using a forklift to move it. :no: :rolleyes2:

I've spent lots of time in several boatyards, and I've never seen that sign or known a boatyard that would damage a customer's car by using a forklift to move it. :no: :rolleyes2:

We don't typically damage them, occasionally a muffler gets crushed. We aren't holding up a 600ton Travel Lift and screwing up our haul out schedule because you wanted to park and lock your vehicle in the middle of the way.

We don't typically damage them, occasionally a muffler gets crushed. We aren't holding up a 600ton Travel Lift and screwing up our haul out schedule because you wanted to park and lock your vehicle in the middle of the way.

Post a picture of that sign, otherwise this is just more of your delusional BS.

Ah, now the "story" changes.....:rolleyes2:

:rolleyes2:

I'm not near a boat yard, at home there is one across the street, GFY if you think I'm traveling to take a picture of a sign for you. What boat yards have you spent so much time in?

I'm not near a boat yard, at home there is one across the street, GFY if you think I'm traveling to take a picture of a sign for you. What boat yards have you spent so much time in?

Apparently more than you, and I don't need to get on Internet forums and make up BS stories like you continue to do.

Apparently more than you, and I don't need to get on Internet forums and make up BS stories like you continue to do.

Your anonymous ass hasn't shown anything you have done. I docked a 115' 3 deck boat in the middle of Hurricane Frances live on CNN on one engine, no steering and no thrusters. What can you show? Thought so, you won't even give your name or show a pic. You're just a blowhard ****wit with nothing positive to say ever. All you do is run people down, go **** yourself.

Your anonymous ass hasn't shown anything you have done. I docked a 115' 3 deck boat in the middle of Hurricane Frances live on CNN on one engine, no steering and no thrusters. What can you show? Thought so, you won't even give your name or show a pic. You're just a blowhard ****wit with nothing positive to say ever. All you do is run people down, go **** yourself.

Responds to being called out for not showing pictures by criticising others for not showing pictures...

Pretty easy to prove him wrong by posting a picture and backing up the claim you made.

1slj61.jpg

Last edited:

Ha,,, The CAP will wreck um faster then anyone will steal um....:rolleyes::redface:

Back