Starship goes boom, 4/20

Kenny Phillips

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kenny Phillips
The beast was tumbling at stage separation, which means it's a very sturdy airframe, as that usually results in breakup. So they pushed the button.
Still, the largest, most powerful flying thingy, ever.

Seemed that something went wrong with the staging process. Never had separation, not sure they had MECO. The booster tried to do it's flip maneuver in preparation for its boost-back burn but the second stage was still attached.

In any case, looks like they got a lot of good data on the launch.

Seemed that something went wrong with the staging process. Never had separation, not sure they had MECO. The booster tried to do it's flip maneuver in preparation for its boost-back burn but the second stage was still attached.

In any case, looks like they got a lot of good data on the launch.

I bet the (seeming) out of control veering damaged the mechanical bits of the staging release and that was why it didn’t stage. And I bet failed motors and gimbals were why it was out of control in the first place.

A few of the engines either didn't fire or shutdown early. Will be interesting to hear if that had any impact on the lack of separation (was something programmed to not separate until X altitude, and it never got high enough?). Looks like they waited as long as possible until "deconstructing it" (i.e. it started pointing randomly at the ground).

Anyway, a fun way to spend a large amount of money.

I bet the (seeming) out of control veering damaged the mechanical bits of the staging release and that was why it didn’t stage. And I bet failed motors and gimbals were why it was out of control in the first place.
Actually, a rotation was scheduled for the booster, followed by a "boost back" burn. A little "kick" prior to stage separation was also scheduled. Looks as if all of the above happened with Starship still attached. Normally a rocket destroys itself when tumbling; this did not, but it also appeared as if the mains were still firing.
Prolly the software programmer left out a ;

Like how they called it an unplanned sudden disassembly....
RUD, or "rapid unscheduled disassembly", has been used more than once for a SpaceX launch. I believe it's a model rocket term, from the Large and Dangerous club.

The stated goal was that clearing the tower was a success and anything after that was gravy. That’s like saying getting t-boned after pulling out of your driveway was a successful drive to work. :)
Actually, it was nothing like that, unless your goals was merely to pull out of the driveway, and you didn't really care if you got to work (or survived).

A few of the engines either didn't fire or shutdown early. Will be interesting to hear if that had any impact on the lack of separation (was something programmed to not separate until X altitude, and it never got high enough?). Looks like they waited as long as possible until "deconstructing it" (i.e. it started pointing randomly at the ground).

Anyway, a fun way to spend a large amount of money.
They have several ships near completion, and literally hundreds of engines; this rocket was disposable in any case, it just went away a bit prematurely.

Actually, a rotation was scheduled for the booster, followed by a "boost back" burn. A little "kick" prior to stage separation was also scheduled. Looks as if all of the above happened with Starship still attached. Normally a rocket destroys itself when tumbling; this did not, but it also appeared as if the mains were still firing.
Prolly the software programmer left out a ;

The announcer said that it would flip before separation. I am wondering if they wanted to flip and separate before MECO to not have to restart for the boost back burn.

The announcer said that it would flip before separation. I am wondering if they wanted to flip and separate before MECO to not have to restart for the boost back burn.

I bet the announcer got that wrong.

I thought it was awesome. Things happened to the spacex rockets at first. I’m pretty sure its first payload flight will be in less than a year. Maybe a model y this time.

Eh. If you don't blow up something once in a while, you're probably not trying hard enough. I don't say that to be a smart a**, but that with all these new systems, and extrapolated risks, and an inability to real world test 100% of the parts before launch in all conditions, it seems it should be expected.

This seems MUCH more reasonable than passenger cars that self-drive over firemen. No joke intended.

Will this engine fit my Piper if we replace the the mag with an SureFly ??

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 19
Their plan of testing to failure totally makes sense from an engineering point of view but you have to admit that watching it and other spacex rockets explode after takeoff can’t be very reassuring to the people selected for the first crewed flight.

Their plan of testing to failure totally makes sense from an engineering point of view but you have to admit that watching it and other spacex rockets explode after takeoff can’t be very reassuring to the people selected for the first crewed flight.

Not much different than NASA’s infant days.

....oh...thats what they are doing?
That's what they always do. All of their testing is available online; in fact, you can set up your own cameras and stream it. They tested many Raptor engines to destruction. Rapidly started and stopped them. Over-pressured vessels until they popped. Put bits in a hydraulic "can crusher" to mimic dynamic forces. They can do it so much more cheaply than NASA it's pitiful. The estimated cost for a Starship launch tower ("Stage 1") is 10% of what NASA is paying a contractor for theirs. And SpaceX has built three of them.

I'm willing to bet that Spacex would have loved this flight to go off without a hitch, but they did temper expectations before the launch and they had to blow the thing up. Pretty sure the Falcon rockets went through the same things when it was being developed. There are a lot of quitters out there, Elon and his companies aren't quitters, he gets **** done. As I said, I fully expect the Starship rocket to launch a payload into space successfully within a year's time. Elon gets **** done.

I was referring to the rockets that explode in flight..
It doesn't look like it blew up on its own. Staging failed and they blew up both vehicles with the flight termination system.

I seem to remember NASA had a few spectacular failures early on.
Now NASA is so conservative that progress is extremely slow and expensive. A very quiet, slow, and boring form of failure.

There are a lot of quitters out there

and some that just run out of money

Reading the news which I know isnt the most reliable source, they are saying it exploded.

I didnt hear anyone scream .."push the button!!"

Back