STAR gone too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Just flew a STAR in DFW. It's a newer arrival published 16apr21 and is on 1st rev with no changes. It's the BEREE 1 rnav arrival and is pronounced "Berry 1" as evidenced by several appch controllers.

Now... Isn't "Berry" the slang term for former President Barrack Obama? And the fixes along the arrival are curious too. CRIED, STUFT, and POWND are a few, but the one that really stood out was WUUKY, like Wookie from Star Wars who was ape like...

Tell me Dallas isn't calling the first African American President a monkey with this arrival. I get Texas may lean a bit right, but if I'm reading the meaning here correctly (I admit I may not be) this seems way over a line.

Thoughts? Tell me there's a much more family friendly meaning to this arrival.

Just flew a STAR in DFW. It's a newer arrival published 16apr21 and is on 1st rev with no changes. It's the BEREE 1 rnav arrival and is pronounced "Berry 1" as evidenced by several appch controllers.

Now... Isn't "Berry" the slang term for former President Barrack Obama? And the fixes along the arrival are curious too. CRIED, STUFT, and POWND are a few, but the one that really stood out was WUUKY, like Wookie from Star Wars who was ape like...

Tell me Dallas isn't calling the first African American President a monkey with this arrival. I get Texas may lean a bit right, but if I'm reading the meaning here correctly (I admit I may not be) this seems way over a line.

Who has ever called Obama Barry? Huh, I guess there’s a movie about him called that. News to me.

1024.jpg

Is Barry not a term for Obama? Could have sworn it was...

30 minutes? One hour? Get yer bets down ladies and gentlemen. How long this thread gonna last?

Im not making a position here. Saw it and thought it…unusual.

Discussion about a STAR naming convention seems appropriate and to be sure ill leave politics out of it.

And if im wrong here and its too far a reach so be it. :)

Who has ever called Obama Barry?
It's discussed in one of his books, "Dreams From My Father." As I recall, he was called Barry from childhood pretty much into his early college years.

It was later adopted by some conservatives as a way of belittling him. But that's done all the time regardless of race.

Last edited:
Couldn't possibly be referencing someone or something other than the former president? Only have tried to connect the dots.

Mr Peanut’s full name was Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe, which BEREE could be a diminutive of. Mr Peanut died in a super bowl commercial a couple years ago, in which another actor in the commercial CRIED. Cause of death was a car accident, ejecting Mr Peanut, and when police investigate a dead body, there’s usually an OUTLN . Peanuts are also sold by the POWND. There’s also a twitter account by the user YUYUN who discussed mom and POPSY’s attempt to grow PNUTS in their garden.

That’s a stretch, but 100% verifiable.

But then again, not every procedure/fix/waypoint has a story, much less something nefarious behind it. I’m reminded of an old saw about if all you have is a hammer….

Ya know, this shares many of the same fixes as the Whiny Four Jet arrival. Except, on the Whiny Four, OUTLN is preceded by CHAWK. This clearly is indicative of a predicted homicide crime scene.

This could also just be the nicknames of the procedure designer’s old air force buddies.

My guess: Wookie is a reference to Peter Mayhew who played Chewbacca and lived northwest of Fort Worth until he died on April 30, 2019. Not sure how the rest of the waypoints are related, maybe they're just area references (Outline and Clues = who shot JR?)?

I think it's ridiculous to associate a Wookie with an ape when the obvious correlation is Bigfoot. The rest of it is just absurd--it's woke BS at its finest.Chewy.jpg

Last edited:
I do recall a wookie being used disparagingly during the Obama administration, but not against Obama himself.

Not to pile on or anything, but STARS don't always have a meaning or a theme. While it has become common to see names of local sports teams and players, or local culture or tourist features, etc., there is no requirement to do so and there are a whole lot of STARS out there with near-random fix naming.

When I look at the names of fixes on this STAR, I see some fun names but don't see a common theme of any sort from any of the transitions. So no, there does not appear to be a "family-friendly meaning", because there doesn't seem to be any "meaning".

"Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar" seems to apply here.

Is there a source that can definitively answer those questions?

Texas doesn't create STARs or name waypoints. Strictly FAA in OKC and TRACON.

@Captain , don’t be a jerk! :)

(just having fun with you for those of us who have been around here long enough to get the reference. Glad to see you back.)

STARS are designed by the servicing ARTCC. So any questions about the names, design, etc., should ultimately be referred to ZFW in this case.
What does Zero Fuel Weight have to do with it?

I think they were just being ARTCC FARTCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back