Is it best to Go Sport and not risk being denied medical?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You don't need a "Sport Pilot" instructor - a regular instructor can instruct in an LSA towards a S.P. certificate. The hard part is finding the aircraft.
Ok, so hours in the seat of a 172 can't be logged for sport, but in a LSA can count for PPL?

Basic Med can only be done after having an FAA medical.

And he said he had a First Class in the past. If that First class was after 7/14/2006 and his conditions requiring an SI aren't on the taboo list he's good...

The trick is to not apply, Until you have at least 4 months of provable (private random neg. Urine test program) sobriety, a favorable evaluation by a certified alcohol and drug counselor (according to DSM-4), a copy of the offense report, and a passable, honest personal statement.

I did one of these this AM. He’ll get issued.

The trick is to not apply, Until you have at least 4 months of provable (private random neg. Urine test program) sobriety, a favorable evaluation by a certified alcohol and drug counselor (according to DSM-4), a copy of the offense report, and a passable, honest personal statement.

I did one of these this AM. He’ll get issued.

I'm going to start with SP. I can always do my random while enjoying flying, instead of waiting to fly. My mid to late 40s, already feels like I've waited to long. I might be able to afford a LSA this way also. thank you for the advice. I will follow it. I don't know if having a SP while doing testing and having safe hours when applying for medical helps, but can't hurt.

I'm going to start with SP. I can always do my random while enjoying flying, instead of waiting to fly. My mid to late 40s, already feels like I've waited to long. I might be able to afford a LSA this way also. thank you for the advice. I will follow it. I don't know if having a SP while doing testing and having safe hours when applying for medical helps, but can't hurt.
Dr. Bruce just gave your the proper script to follow.

Notice he said he did an exam for an airman who followed the script and that airman will receive his medical certificate.

So if you’re want same success, follow that script. Do not alter.

(ps. Make sure the alcohol counselor knows to use DSM 4, not the current 5)

Understood. I will start the Random tests, gather info. In the mean time I will work on my Sport, It might change to a PPL if I feel comfortable with my paperwork in 4 to 6 months, but air time is air time.

I did go through a required 10 week program, so I should be able to go to that counselor for paperwork, Might wait until I have a "proven" sobriety before wasting anyone's time. It's easy to say I am, but it's all about proof.
Thank you all for the information.

Understood. I will start the Random tests, gather info. In the mean time I will work on my Sport, It might change to a PPL if I feel comfortable with my paperwork in 4 to 6 months, but air time is air time.

I did go through a required 10 week program, so I should be able to go to that counselor for paperwork, Might wait until I have a "proven" sobriety before wasting anyone's time. It's easy to say I am, but it's all about proof.
Thank you all for the information.

Word to the wise - if you receive Sport Pilot training from a SP instructor (CFI-S) it will only count toward Private if you actually get the SP certificate. If you get the training from a regular CFI it will count regardless.

"very good" is relative to "no chance at all". The question of raising the weight limit on sport has been raised, but it's been a while since I've heard anyone talking about it.
I believe that the FAA has until the end of 2023 to codify that and other items in some omnibus train wreck regulation update.

Which law? Seems like if this had been passed, the ABCs would not have let us miss it.

Until, if ever, the FAA includes more aircraft in LSA, I would find a new hobby. Sports pilot kinda sucks.
The limitations can be inconvenient, but during the two years that I exercised sport-pilot privileges, I actually had more fun flying than I had previously.

If the LSA you fly now was faster than what you were flying, that sucked too. Yea, if your mission is fly to get a cheese burger they work, but cheese burger runs get pretty boring rather quickly.
I flew from the Bay Area to the Canadian border in an LSA. It was a blast! I did learn to pack light!

Found this on Rule changes for LSA
Over a year old, but I'm learning the FFA doesn't move at any other speed

What really sucks is the holier than thou attitude of some pilots towards other pilots who have different aviation goals.

There's a few individuals on this forum who seem to get off on being a jerk about pretty much everything. They don't seem to contribute anything in terms of knowledge or accomplishments, interestingly.

There's a few individuals on this forum who seem to get off on being a jerk about pretty much everything. They don't seem to contribute anything in terms of knowledge or accomplishments, interestingly.

proxy-image

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back