Solo... Finally

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Short version:

Solo-ed last night, both Kate and myself are doing fine and looking forward to a lot of togetherness up in the air in near future. Took me a long time, but at the end of the day, it doesnt matter.

Long version:

Had a sneaky suspicion that CFI might solo me yesterday. TAF predicted 06 KTS from 010. was little tensed since afternoon. went to the airport, my mechanic walked up to me and said.. you soloing today or what?.. am like ummm lets see. CFI comes in, sits on the plane, asks for my log book so that he can sign me off after 3 laps in KFAR. me: No pressure...sure.

Runup - On left mag check, 250 RPM drop and lot of shudder. tried cleaning the fouled plugs, twice, same result, may be the mag is hosed. back taxi. as i am backtaxi-ing 2 things came to mind:

-- Guardian Angel dont want me to solo tonight
-- if this was a FBO, i would have asked for 4 other cessna's on the line and not worry about anything. welcome to aircraft ownership

Mechanic steps in, does the runup and mag check, looks at the JPI and says, well your JPI is paying off already, its #2 cyl, most likely bad plug. without your JPI there is no way i could have known without taking off all the plugs. He checks the plug and looked like a lot of lead deposit. cleaned it and i am off to back taxi in 10 mins.

Reached KFAR, 3 laps around the pattern. CFI says, what do you say? you ready?
I took off again for the 4rth, as i am climbing told him 1) i dont know if i am ready, if you think I am ready, i will give it a shot 2) my landings are not perfect yet. CFI looks at me with horror and tells me: ok so we know what the problem is, we arent looking for perfect landings, we are looking for safe landings. make this a full stop and let me out, i am bored.

then also said: i have about 11000 landings.. still looking for the perfect one...

back to ramp, CFI gets out, felt odd to latch the door myself. called ground and got clearance to taxi to the longest rny. taxi-ing alone felt odd, looked around, i AM the only one in this plane!!
sat on hold short for 15 mins and saw 11 planes land and take off, even reminded the controller that I am still holding short. he said, multiple inbounds and departures, hold short. later i realized he was doing me a favor by clearing all big boys first so that i have the airspace to myself. finally got clearance for right traffic (all the previous ones were left).

as i lifted off, all my apprehensions disappeared and a feeling that i cant describe but will stay with me for a long time engulfed me. i knew the only person who can keep me alive is me and I know i can do it.

patterns went without any hitches. had to extend downwind for a landing cessna who i just couldnt find, so held my ALT until tower called my base, had to go glider for few seconds since i was high as a kite. overshot the rny once, but had enough room to correct (bank angle not exceeding 30). balooned onse, added power, set her down. i would have done some more, but i was scheduled with CFI till 8 and due to all the traffic while i was holding short, it was already 8:15, and we still had to go back to our home base.

still smiling....

couple of things i will say:

-- i have lot of time, it took me a while to train my timid brain that this thing is safe and if something happens, i am prepared to take controls and do whatever it takes to land safely.
-- while i can come up with a long list of excuses as to why it took me so long, i wont, because it doesnt matter. but i will say this for people in my shoes... i started learning rapidly when stopped being scared of flying. now i have lot more brain cells available to learn.

-- for me, the biggest challenge was not to learn how to fly, but to overcome my own baseless fear, my own daemons.

long way to go...

and before you ask... (yes i gained some weight, ssssshhh)

upload_2017-7-28_8-58-25.jpeg

upload_2017-7-28_8-58-55.jpeg

Congrats! Way to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nopes. even asked CFI, he said they dont do it anymore.. was little disappointing actually :p

Aww..bummer. I still have my shirt segment at home somewhere heh..Is that your plane or a rental? I love low wings :)

Congrats. My first attempt was also thwarted by a mx issue. Flew an hour in the morning, winds were calm, flying was fine...we put the plane away and my instructor said, "tell ya what, go get lunch, and if this day stays this beautiful, meet me back at the hangar and you're going to solo".

Met him back at the hangar, step one on our preflight checklist is lower flaps. Master on, hit the switch...nothing. Breakers in, everything else electrical working, turned out to be broken limit switch. No solo that day.

Ended up being a few weeks later before I actually flew it alone between schedules, weather and fixing the plane, but I'm in no huge hurry with any of this (training).

Congrats again.

i was hoping to have a shirt segment too... yah she is all mine:)
If we ever meet, I'll cut your shirt tail off for you if it will make you feel better.

Congrats. My first attempt was also thwarted by a mx issue. Flew an hour in the morning, winds were calm, flying was fine...we put the plane away and my instructor said, "tell ya what, go get lunch, and if this day stays this beautiful, meet me back at the hangar and you're going to solo".

Met him back at the hangar, step one on our preflight checklist is lower flaps. Master on, hit the switch...nothing. Breakers in, everything else electrical working, turned out to be broken limit switch. No solo that day.

Ended up being a few weeks later before I actually flew it alone between schedules, weather and fixing the plane, but I'm in no huge hurry with any of this (training).

Congrats again.
Thanks. I big part of aviation i have realized is patience and things that are way beyond our control. as it turns out, i was ready for solo for sometime now. didnt have right weather and i was still rooting for the perfect "kiss the runway" landing, which i takes lot more time. i have about 90 landings till now, out of which about 25 are mine

Well done. Congrats! Great feeling, ain't it?
top of the world. still smiling for no reason. none of my friends are in aviation and dont understand the feeling and think i am complete nuts. and they all think there is only 1 type of small plane.. cessna

Oh and you still have your first solo cross country to look forward. That was the first time I really felt like a pilot. You will get the same feeling as your first solo. Have fun!

Congratulations on the huge achievement! This is a big step and a day you'll remember forever! You're not far from getting your ticket at this point.

LOL - I trained in a light sport. When my instructor got out for my solo, he told me, "Have a good flight and enjoy. Oh... and don't be surprised if you climb a little better without me in the aircraft." Imagine my surprise when it wasn't "a little better", but a LOT better and I was pointed at blue sky! LOL... that gave me sweaty palms and I kept repeating, "Do what you were taught. Do what you were taught..." Pretty sure the seat fabric had a permanent crease after that flight. :p

top of the world. still smiling for no reason. none of my friends are in aviation and dont understand the feeling and think i am complete nuts. and they all think there is only 1 type of small plane.. cessna
Don't think for one second that their misunderstanding eliminates the possibility that you are completely nuts. You did buy an airplane...

Congratulations on the huge achievement! This is a big step and a day you'll remember forever! You're not far from getting your ticket at this point.

LOL - I trained in a light sport. When my instructor got out for my solo, he told me, "Have a good flight and enjoy. Oh... and don't be surprised if you climb a little better without me in the aircraft." Imagine my surprise when it wasn't "a little better", but a LOT better and I was pointed at blue sky! LOL... that gave me sweaty palms and I kept repeating, "Do what you were taught. Do what you were taught..." Pretty sure the seat fabric had a permanent crease after that flight. :p
after my CFI got out, i told myself loudly... you are alone, there aint any yaw damper anymore (CFI), trust your training and go for it :p

so, have you begun planning your 1500 mile cross country solo yet?
I am planning on being a old pilot... i am addicted to this, no point giving it up soon

Nice job, the plane appears reusable! Fond memories of '-21Kilo'. My '21Kilo' was Piper Tomahawk 2421K I soloed in '79.

Sad about the shirt tail. I carry mine in my flight bag

Way to go! Don't feel bad, I'm still looking for the perfect landing too.

nopes. even asked CFI, he said they dont do it anymore.. was little disappointing actually :p

Mine said the same. I even wore a crappy old shirt that I got for free from a Czech cereal company after I complained about finding a rusty nail in a box of their product. :eek:

as i lifted off, all my apprehensions disappeared and a feeling that i cant describe but will stay with me for a long time engulfed me. i knew the only person who can keep me alive is me and I know i can do it.

Congrats. I soloed about 6 weeks ago and I had a very similar feeling. It really is amazing.

Congratulations! Its a damn shame that the tradition of cutting the shirt tail off has been lost.

It's still going on in some places! My shirt is sitting on my desk and wondering what to do with it.

Congrats. How awesome is it when you are in the pattern and have the realization that you have to put the bird down all by yourself. I shouted, "oh dang, I have to do this myself"

WAY TO GO!!! I was just chatting with you about this the other day...you must have just knew :) Damn, you look happy dude!!!! And to have to wait on some mx must have even cranked the tension more.

Now, as soon as your CFI approves if of course, get out and fly the whole hour by yourself..it will be your second favorite memory after this one!

And you have your own plane! MX issues aside, you'll be able to go more often now wx permitting.

Back