Solo... Finally

I heard it became discouraged when mscard tried to take the scissors to the front of the shirt of female students.

Not true. She was wearing a halter top so there wasn't enough material on the back to write. She didn't mind at all. She still has it, framed, and proud of it. Didn't tell my wife what we did afterwards either. Good girl I tell ya.

Last edited:
It's still going on in some places! My shirt is sitting on my desk and wondering what to do with it.

Frame it. Be proud of it. 1st Solo the only thing one can do in flying once, well, except die too I guess. I soled in '74 and still have it framed, somewhere.

Not true. She was wearing a halter top so there wasn't enough material on the back to write. She didn't mind at all. She still has it, framed, and proud of it. Didn't tell my wife what we did afte either. Good girl I tell ya.

Well hello! Did I wake you from your long slumber? :D;)

i was hoping to have a shirt segment too... yah she is all mine:)

Congrats WannaFly. I'm a CFI, c'mon by Alabama and I'll do ya a shirt. I still do it, and the local flight school nearby still does it too. Bunch of them on the walls there.

Congrats WannaFly. I'm a CFI, c'mon by Alabama and I'll do ya a shirt. I still do it, and the local flight school nearby still does it too. Bunch of them on the walls there.
Will there be blue footed boobies on the shirt?

hqdefault.jpg

:rollercoaster:

Congratulaions!
Short version:

Solo-ed last night, both Kate and myself are doing fine and looking forward to a lot of togetherness up in the air in near future. Took me a long time, but at the end of the day, it doesnt matter.

Long version:

Had a sneaky suspicion that CFI might solo me yesterday. TAF predicted 06 KTS from 010. was little tensed since afternoon. went to the airport, my mechanic walked up to me and said.. you soloing today or what?.. am like ummm lets see. CFI comes in, sits on the plane, asks for my log book so that he can sign me off after 3 laps in KFAR. me: No pressure...sure.

Runup - On left mag check, 250 RPM drop and lot of shudder. tried cleaning the fouled plugs, twice, same result, may be the mag is hosed. back taxi. as i am backtaxi-ing 2 things came to mind:

-- Guardian Angel dont want me to solo tonight
-- if this was a FBO, i would have asked for 4 other cessna's on the line and not worry about anything. welcome to aircraft ownership

Mechanic steps in, does the runup and mag check, looks at the JPI and says, well your JPI is paying off already, its #2 cyl, most likely bad plug. without your JPI there is no way i could have known without taking off all the plugs. He checks the plug and looked like a lot of lead deposit. cleaned it and i am off to back taxi in 10 mins.

Reached KFAR, 3 laps around the pattern. CFI says, what do you say? you ready?
I took off again for the 4rth, as i am climbing told him 1) i dont know if i am ready, if you think I am ready, i will give it a shot 2) my landings are not perfect yet. CFI looks at me with horror and tells me: ok so we know what the problem is, we arent looking for perfect landings, we are looking for safe landings. make this a full stop and let me out, i am bored.

then also said: i have about 11000 landings.. still looking for the perfect one...

back to ramp, CFI gets out, felt odd to latch the door myself. called ground and got clearance to taxi to the longest rny. taxi-ing alone felt odd, looked around, i AM the only one in this plane!!
sat on hold short for 15 mins and saw 11 planes land and take off, even reminded the controller that I am still holding short. he said, multiple inbounds and departures, hold short. later i realized he was doing me a favor by clearing all big boys first so that i have the airspace to myself. finally got clearance for right traffic (all the previous ones were left).

as i lifted off, all my apprehensions disappeared and a feeling that i cant describe but will stay with me for a long time engulfed me. i knew the only person who can keep me alive is me and I know i can do it.

patterns went without any hitches. had to extend downwind for a landing cessna who i just couldnt find, so held my ALT until tower called my base, had to go glider for few seconds since i was high as a kite. overshot the rny once, but had enough room to correct (bank angle not exceeding 30). balooned onse, added power, set her down. i would have done some more, but i was scheduled with CFI till 8 and due to all the traffic while i was holding short, it was already 8:15, and we still had to go back to our home base.

still smiling....

couple of things i will say:

-- i have lot of time, it took me a while to train my timid brain that this thing is safe and if something happens, i am prepared to take controls and do whatever it takes to land safely.
-- while i can come up with a long list of excuses as to why it took me so long, i wont, because it doesnt matter. but i will say this for people in my shoes... i started learning rapidly when stopped being scared of flying. now i have lot more brain cells available to learn.

-- for me, the biggest challenge was not to learn how to fly, but to overcome my own baseless fear, my own daemons.

long way to go...

and before you ask... (yes i gained some weight, ssssshhh)

View attachment 55220

View attachment 55221
N

I
Not true. She was wearing a halter top so there wasn't enough material on the back to write. She didn't mind at all. She still has it, framed, and proud of it. Didn't tell my wife what we did afte either. Good girl I tell ya.
Glad to see you back!

My first solo shirt tail is probably long gone (ca. 1988). They said I could claim it when I got my license.

WAY TO GO!!! I was just chatting with you about this the other day...you must have just knew :) Damn, you look happy dude!!!! And to have to wait on some mx must have even cranked the tension more.

Now, as soon as your CFI approves if of course, get out and fly the whole hour by yourself..it will be your second favorite memory after this one!

And you have your own plane! MX issues aside, you'll be able to go more often now wx permitting.
I was just thinking about our chat and the fact that u mentioned may be another flight or two. It was exactly 2 flights. I have to still solo in my home base with 50 ft wide runway and some very interesting wind patterns, but soon. Did go up today, dual training in another uncontrolled field with 75 ft wide runway with 40 degree xwind, albeit at 8 it's, all unassisted and safe landings and last one at my home base was great. Weather permitting I might get signed off to practice area next week... looking forward to it....not so much for the bank account though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Now, as soon as your CFI approves if of course, get out and fly the whole hour by yourself..it will be your second favorite memory after this one!

Agreed.
It was the first time I truly felt free to fly. Nobody telling me what to do, or where to go. I love just showing up and taking off. It's got to be even better with your own plane!

nopes. even asked CFI, he said they dont do it anymore.. was little disappointing actually :p
have him cut it anyway (the shirt you were wearing) and then ask him to date it (date of the solo) and sign it. then take a photo of you and him with the plane. frame both the shirt and the photo. congratulations!!

have him cut it anyway (the shirt you were wearing) and then ask him to date it (date of the solo) and sign it. then take a photo of you and him with the plane. frame both the shirt and the photo. congratulations!!

I didn't think of this! Excellent idea rk911! Do it wannafly.

I like the idea too, I will pitch the idea to him

Bring the shirt and scissors with you, and tell him you seriously want it. Ridiculous to ignore or end a flight training tradition in my book. Then frame it and hang it up in your living room wall, right above the TV! :D

Congrats. There is a right time for everyone. You found yours. Now keep at it. A lot of people lose the drive to fly after they solo or after they get their private pilot license. Don't be one of those people. Be the guy whose mechanic asks him to double check the tach time when he is doing your annual paperwork because it seems high for just one year of flying. That's a good feeling, believe me.

Bring the shirt and scissors with you, and tell him you seriously want it. Ridiculous to ignore or end a flight training tradition in my book. Then frame it and hang it up in your living room wall, right above the TV! :D
Roger. Have a monday 7 AM flight with him, I will put the shirt in my bag tonight along with a scissor and a marker for him to sign

Mine said the same. I even wore a crappy old shirt that I got for free from a Czech cereal company after I complained about finding a rusty nail in a box of their product. :eek:

Hopefully when i solo "Immanent" , If they dont cut the shirt, Im going to have my instructor sign it with the date and plane number.

Congrats on your Solo! Well Done!!

Excellent idea!!!!!

Way to go!

As you said it doesn't matter how long it took. You did it! You'll never forget that flight.

Have fun
Gary

I have solo'd twice in my attempt to earn my PPL. Started back in 1984. I remember the first time like it was yesterday. 8/30/1984 to be exact. One of the best days of my life! #2 in 2005 and was still exciting!. Getting ready for #3, but all the way this time! I'm still getting that Feeling!

So true GaryV!

Done along with second solo at another uncontrolled airport. wish I was wearing a light colored shirt.. but o well. that for the suggestion @rk911

WHAT! No ****ing picture? :eek:
I will post it when I go home. I am guessing you are referring to the pic of the shirt..... if not. Question for ya... how many pics of a big fat guy u wanna see ?? :popcorn::popcorn:

I will post it when I go home. I am guessing you are referring to the pic of the shirt..... if not. Question for ya... how many pics of a big fat guy u wanna see ?? :popcorn::popcorn:

I mean someone taking a pic of your CFI cutting your shirt. That'd be a nice memory item. Big fat guy pics, eh, doesn't bother me at all.

I mean someone taking a pic of your CFI cutting your shirt. That'd be a nice memory item. Big fat guy pics, eh, doesn't bother me at all.

my home base is ghost town in the AM... other than a brave soul on the runway with rollerblades ..even he wasn't there today. the first time I saw him, I was pretty shocked...glad he communicates on Radio

Exactly one year ago... Today .. cant believe my CFI had the ba**s to let me fly solo :eek:. its been an incredible journey from day 1, love every second of it. many more years to come ...hopefully

Exactly one year ago... Today .. cant believe my CFI had the ba**s to let me fly solo :eek:. its been an incredible journey from day 1, love every second of it. many more years to come ...hopefully

Cool! It’s been a year already?!

I need to go flying. This year has sucked.

Back