So you think your plane is fast?

Always liked that story,thanks for the post.

I thought that the military guys only had the higher UHF channels, and didn't transmit/listen on the 118.0-136.975 frequencies.

So how would the military guys have
1) heard the transmissions from the first two about ground speed and
2) transmitted so the first two planes could hear the request?

I thought that the military guys only had the higher UHF channels, and didn't transmit/listen on the 118.0-136.975 frequencies.

The SR-71 could monitor all freqs for airplanes and ATC. I have talked to other SR-71 pilots with similar stories chatting air to ATC.

The SR-71 could monitor all freqs for airplanes and ATC. I have talked to other SR-71 pilots with similar stories chatting air to ATC.

Do the Hornet guys also monitor the lower frequencies? I can't recall ever hearing military guys on frequency.

I have often heard Mil flights on VHF ("on Victor"), at least around here. Often doing traiing missions to fields all over Texas.

Never saw an SR71 at Addison, though.

Do the Hornet guys also monitor the lower frequencies? I can't recall ever hearing military guys on frequency.

Yes, think Blue Angles. We get military planes of all shapes and sizes coming into KLNK to refuel on the ground if the tankers are not up. We were an emergency runway for the space shuttle when it flew. Our 14,000' runway fit their criteria. Pretty sure they would have to talk to atc. ;)

Also think 9/11. They would want to try and talk to you if violate airspace...before they shoot you down. :lol: :eek:

Last edited:
Yes, think Blue Angles. We get military planes of all shapes and sizes coming into KLNK to refuel on the ground if the tankers are not up. We were an emergency runway for the space shuttle when it flew. Our 14,000' runway fit their criteria. Pretty sure they would have to talk to atc. ;)

Also think 9/11. They would want to try and talk to you if violate airspace...before they shoot you down. :lol: :eek:

I've just never heard a military guy on the VHF bands in 13 years. I've heard center and approach talking to them, but never the military guys talk on freq.

I've just never heard a military guy on the VHF bands in 13 years. I've heard center and approach talking to them, but never the military guys talk on freq.

The KC-135s can be heard on our frequencies.

I've never heard the F16s in Sioux Falls before despite a dozen or so occasions seeing and hearing ATC taking to them.

Last edited:

Its 12,900 feet, and yes, alternate landing site for the Orbiters.

Generally fighters are using UHF and transports VHF but they have the ability to use both. In the cockpit pic below, the SR-71 has an old ARC-186 VHF radio on the right console. Same radio we had in the UH-60. On the left console, aft of the throttle, it appears they had an old UHF radio. Not sure what model that is. So they could have very well been transmitting on UHF and listening on VHF.

Only thing I thought was odd was the exact GS that was given. Never asked center about their equipment when I did ATC. I knew it was better than ours but didn't realize it had a 4 digit GS readouts. I was always under the impression it had 3 digits. :dunno:Ours (ARTS III) only had 2 digits as I recall. So 25 would be 250 kts. It rounds to the nearest 10. Once it went above 99, it would show ** for GS...only saw that one time.

Not disputing Brian's story, I'm sure that it actually happened. Actually met him 97 at the Nellis AFB show and got an autographed copy of Sled Driver.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/068/SR-71A Front Cockpit.html

Cherokee 434, expedite off the runway; traffic is on a seven-mile final, descending out of 14,000 feet ...

:eek:

I have heard them many times. They have and use VHF-AM air band freqs when talking to civilian aircraft or facilities. They use their own freqs when no such need exists. In CAP we talked to them all the time when working with the USAF or ANG.

Does anyone know what the indicated airspeed of an SR-71 would be, approximately, when flying mach whatever at FL 800 like that?

Last time I flew to Mammoth I heard a number of them on the same frequency as me doing training runs in the MOA North of Edwards. They seemed to be using whatever frequency I was on as their formation interflight channel.

I've heard 'Viper' call sign on frequency before. I assumed that was military.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey Ed, we use VHF all the time! I have three radios with VHF capability and I use them more than my UHF. I prefer the VHF (airspace dependent) so I can hear my GA and airline brethren out and about for better SA. However, UHF is commonly much more crisp and clear in terms of sound quality. - Military guy

Only thing I thought was odd was the exact GS that was given. Never asked center about their equipment when I did ATC. I knew it was better than ours but didn't realize it had a 4 digit GS readouts. I was always under the impression it had 3 digits. :dunno:Ours (ARTS III) only had 2 digits as I recall. So 25 would be 250 kts. It rounds to the nearest 10. Once it went above 99, it would show ** for GS...only saw that one time.

So I happened to be with Seattle Center today and remembered this thread. I asked if they had a groundspeed readout and they came back with 142kts. Unfortunately, nobody else chimed in. :)

Hey Ed, we use VHF all the time! I have three radios with VHF capability and I use them more than my UHF. I prefer the VHF (airspace dependent) so I can hear my GA and airline brethren out and about for better SA. However, UHF is commonly much more crisp and clear in terms of sound quality. - Military guy

:yeahthat:

Walt was monitoring 4 radios....and had some fun while being completely bored in an SR-71:D:D:D

:yeahthat:

Ditto on the Hustler! One of my favorite military airplanes.

One of my favs too. Never seen one in real life. Hoping to get up to the AF museum in Dayton this year to see theirs.

One of my favs too. Never seen one in real life. Hoping to get up to the AF museum in Dayton this year to see theirs.
It is spectacular.

P1030883.JPG

The KC-135s can be heard on our frequencies.

I've never heard the F16s in Sioux Falls before despite a dozen or so occasions seeing and hearing ATC taking to them.

I have heard F18s from Fallon when flying near Lovelock, NV.

I heard the Raptor talking to 18/36 arrivals frequency today while working Flightline Ops, and with the number of ANG and Reserve bases sharing bases with civilian airports, I think it is certain that they have our "GA" frequencies.

My mechanic probably wouldn't be around today if USAF fighters didn't have VHF.

A couple of years ago he was flying his PA-12 to a hunting cabin in a remote area of Alaska. He flew up the wrong drainage into a box canyon under an overcast. The airplane went into the trees. It was wrecked, but he and his passenger were unhurt. Nobody heard his 121.5 MHz ELT, and they spent the night there. Finally, about 24 hours after the crash, an F-22 pilot heard his calls from his hand-held VHF radio.

When he got back he offered his customers a smokin' deal on 406 MHz ELTs. I bought one.

Back