So, uhh... wow? (pilot in class Bravo without clearance, McCarran)

If you have a sick passenger maybe just telling the controller you have a medical issue would work better than getting into a ****ing contest with the controller.
When I first heard this part about the sick passenger, it reminded me of a case in which the pilot was hit with an IFR altitude bust. It might (or might not - there were other issues) have been handled as a mistake since the ATC tapes showed some communication problems. But the pilot argued with ATC in the air and later justified his actions with a child. It didn't go well.

Different time, different place, different people, different FAA policies. Just reminiscing, not predicting.

But the pilot argued with ATC in the air and later justified his actions with a child. It didn't go well.

I bet.

I can imagine the eventual response to this guy's excuse about his sick child: "The pilot chose to endanger a child by disregarding ATC instructions and violating airspace regulations. The pilot did not advise ATC about an ill passenger, nor did he declare an emergency."

The FAA doesn't give a squat about obeying the privacy act. However, neither the Privacy Act nor the FOIA requires redacting in this case.

The FAA doesn't give a squat about obeying the privacy act. However, neither the Privacy Act nor the FOIA requires redacting in this case.
Is there a redaction provision in the case of an ongoing investigation that may lead to criminal prosecution and/or certificate action?

There's no requirement to redact things in criminal or certificate actions. The government is permitted to do so if they think it affects their investigation, but it's not a requirement. Further, class B incursions are not criminal. The FAA's borderline Constitutional violations would be blatant ones if they had prosecutorial powers.

@NHWannabe, I never would have thought to get a FOIA request. Nice job.

Listening to the ATC tape again seems like 2 people belligerently sticking to a point of view. I found the phone call interesting for a couple of reasons.
  • Interesting to eavesdrop on a conversation of what happens when someone get a phone number from ATC.

• How the examiner was suggesting some mutual culpability, and was stressing the dangers to the pilot until he provided a mea culpa.

The phone call ended shortly after the pilots tone shifted from defensive belligerence to a more contrite tone and apologized.

I listened to it out of curiosity of how these types of calls go. It was a bit hard to listen to, first because of the call quality, second because this guy just whines like a little diaper baby.
The call quality is fine but it is ONLY on the left-channel. The right-channel is a machine-readable time code. You have to listen to only the left-channel.

@NHWannabe, I never would have thought to get a FOIA request. Nice job.

Listening to the ATC tape again seems like 2 people belligerently sticking to a point of view. I found the phone call interesting for a couple of reasons.
  • Interesting to eavesdrop on a conversation of what happens when someone get a phone number from ATC.

• How the examiner was suggesting some mutual culpability, and was stressing the dangers to the pilot until he provided a mea culpa.

The phone call ended shortly after the pilots tone shifted from defensive belligerence to a more contrite tone and apologized.

I can't take credit for it, I just found it on one of the Aviation Facebook groups I'm in.

Agree interesting to see how the sausage is made.

Back