So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Well, I guess that means you had a good discovery flight!
Absolutely. My wife also wants to do a discovery flight after me and my kid told her how awesome it was. Any suggestions for someone who's about to begin their aviation journey?

Absolutely. My wife also wants to do a discovery flight after me and my kid told her how awesome it was. Any suggestions for someone who's about to begin their aviation journey?

Lots of reading and aviation content on Youtube. Find any way you can to immerse yourself in it, whether that's online or by going out to a busy GA airport with eyes and ears open. I don't know how unfamiliar you are with aviation in general, but the more you know or have been exposed to, the less overwhelming actual lessons will be. I did extensive reading of the FAA handbooks available for free download (which are written in a very dry, information-heavy format) and watched tons of aviation videos, especially one playlist from Fly8MA and videos of ATC radiowork. It helped a lot when I actually got into the plane because I already understood how most of the instruments worked and how a plane worked and flew, and "radio fluency" came very quickly for me because of all the practice I'd had listening and using the phraseology. And the knowledge test and oral portion of my checkride required very little actual studying because I'd really learned the material before I started flying.

I got my Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit in summer 2019 with the intention to upgrade to a PPL eventually. Eventually happened last weekend as I passed my PPL check ride. I can now cross the border in my Cherokee and visit all the nice sights (and warmer weather) the U.S. has to offer :)

After 51 years I'm still a student pilot . First lesson in Dec. of 1970. But I'm gonna make it "Next Year". :)

Just did my first solo last week at after 17 hours. It was a beautiful day with low winds, great weather, and not much traffic at the airport. Went up with my instructor first and made several good touch-and-go landings before going up for a stage check with another instructor. I was nervous but I went back out by myself for 3 more touch-and-go's. Awesome feeling making those three landings by myself and taxiing back to the parking. Couldn't wipe the grin off my face all day. Excited to move on the the next stage of training.

Well, I’m back. I first posted here 3 years ago (post 3057) just after my first solo. I had my first flight working toward my Commercial ASEL. Mostly takeoffs / landings today - shorts, softs, power off 180. Hit all my marks to commercial standard, although my first landing was “not very soft” (we didn’t bend anything ;) ).

Well, I'm back.

Finally got my Discovery Flight in yesterday (02/11/2022). Before we went up we had a chance to process my Student Pilot Certificate application. Can't wait to get my permanent card in the mail.

I am still trying to sort everything out in my head about the flight. I am considering starting a new thread just to discuss it. I have questions, and concerns.

After much deep thought and evaluating and re-evaluating my goals I decided that the medical route was going to likely be very expensive and not a sure thing for this nearly 60 year old aspiring pilot so I chose to pursue a Sport Pilot certificate.
I was able to find a small outfit within a reasonable drive from home and went to visit with them a couple of weeks ago. Took an introductory ride in their 2019 Tecnam P2008 and salivated while ogling their pristine '46 L4 Cub. Discussed my goals with the CFI and made the decision to go for it. Got the student pilot app taken care of and got set up with the CFI's preferred online ground school, his preference but not mandated. After further talks with the CFI about what I wanted out of flying we started my training in the Cub yesterday, I'll be back Monday for more. I have only flown in light aircraft a handful of times and only at the controls 3 times now, Piper PA28 the Tecnam listed above and now the Cub. The others were a blast but the Cub really struck a chord with me. So I now have a whopping total of 1.6 hours of instruction time in my log book.
I haven't been this excited about something in a long time.

Well, I'm back.

Finally got my Discovery Flight in yesterday (02/11/2022). Before we went up we had a chance to process my Student Pilot Certificate application. Can't wait to get my permanent card in the mail.

I am still trying to sort everything out in my head about the flight. I am considering starting a new thread just to discuss it. I have questions, and concerns.

Definitely start a new thread. If nothing else, writing it all out may help you make sense of it all. :)

Definitely start a new thread. If nothing else, writing it all out may help you make sense of it all. :)
Fleshing one out as I type. It is rather lengthy though, and I hope it doesn't come off wrong. I just had expectations that didn't meet the experience, and I would really like to engage some of the CFI's on the board about this flight.
I'm probably just "overthinking" the situation(s).

Fleshing one out as I type. It is rather lengthy though, and I hope it doesn't come off wrong. I just had expectations that didn't meet the experience, and I would really like to engage some of the CFI's on the board about this flight.
I'm probably just "overthinking" the situation(s).

Sometimes, if you're into researching stuff before you do it, you form erroneous expectations. Sometimes, the things that seem wrong actually are. As long as you aren't extremely confrontational about it, I think it would be a good thing to write it out and get ideas and opinions. Learning to fly is a serious business!

It should be ready to post in about ten minutes.
I was far from confrontational about anything, trust me. I fell immediately into the "student mode" and allowed an unsafe condition to exist.

Just to catch up here, I’m working on my commercial cross country requirements and I’m scheduled to go back to CRAFT in April to knock out CP-SEL and multi add on with instrument. I’m excited to get this done then I’m looking for a seaplane single & multi.

Last Monday, we knocked out the dual day/night cross countries and today I completed the solo 300nm cross country. I flew from Sanford (KSFB) to Allendale (KAQX), back to St Simon's Island (KSSI), then home to KSFB. 6.2 hours total. Lovely clear day but the last hour of return was pretty bumpy even at 4,000'.

Saturday I begin the commercial single engine intensive and the checkride is the following Friday. Then a few days off and the Multi commercial add on with checkride on Friday the 29th.

I'll post write ups as I did for the IR intensive that I also did at CRAFT. Write up of that starts here (in this thread): https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-where-do-we-stand.61619/page-90#post-3056636

Stand by for more...

CPL/ME/IR in EU, PPL in US with ...Student license for Gliders. Flying since 96. I just got my student last month :D

Day 1 of CRAFT Accelerated Commercial is done. (Except for studying!)

As weather was already getting cloudy and storms on the way, we hustled out to the airplane, shared preflight duties (I have flown DA-40NG before so other than the engine I wasn't a complete n00b). Took off from KCHS (Charleston AFB/IAP) and headed down to KJZI (Charleston Exec) to get some landing practice in. We were cleared at or below 3500', we had planned on 2000' we leveled off at 1600 then headed back down to 1200 as clouds were almost at our level. First, a normal pattern and landing. On short final, about 300' AGL, the Bonanza waiting for runway 9 announced he was going to take off ahead of us! So I went around and side stepped to the left to give him room. Other than forgetting the flaps (which while important doesn't make nearly as much difference in a DA-40 as a C-172), it was pretty clean. So regular landing on the next round. Then a normal pattern and a soft field landing (T&G). Another round and a soft field landing with taxi back to 9. Weather was deteriorating and T-storms were coming to KCHS so we headed back ASAP. Flew around to runway 21 and dodged a rain shower on the the way in. We mostly beat the rain but boy we could see it coming. 1.2 hours dual.

After lunch we covered O2 and pressurization then went in the sim (Redbird) to try out some flows for the commercial maneuvers. Chandelles left and right, lazy 8s, steep spiral and an off airport landing (since that what we were over). .9 hours. Then talked through 8's on pylons.

Weather tomorrow also looks ugly so we're doing a little more sim in the morning and see what happens. Check ride is Friday so I hope we can fly more. DA-40 is so much different than the C-172 I've been flying I want more practice.

John

Day 2. We fully expected to do sim time and some more ground today as yesterday's prog charts looked bad. But low and behold, the front slowed down and we had decent weather. Clouds were around 2500 over Charleston, but over at the coast skies are clear so away we went, past KJZI (Charleston exec) and out over Kiawah Island and the beach.

We climbed up to 3500 and tried some slow flight. Now the way I learned slow flight (in Cessnas, a bit old school I'm sure) was called Minimum Controllable Airspeed. Flying with the stall horn on, behind the power curve to the point where pretty much anything you do requires more power or you descend. In a C-172 that can be around 45-50 KIAS. In fact I busted my first PP checkride because of losing more than 200 feet during MCA. In the current training environment, and in the DA-40, slow flight is 15 inches of power, and around 75 KIAS (aka 10 knots above stall speed), no horn (if the horn comes on that's bad). This is taking me a bit to get used to. I'd fly downwind at that in the Skyhawk. But after some practice I was not terrible, but also not good enough to pass +- 50' for the commercial checkride.

Next, power off stalls (today all the way to the break, but later and for the checkride only to the horn). Other than holding heading within 5 degrees, (I was more like 10) those are fine. And the break in the DA-40 is very subtle-little buffet and some mush. Next a couple of power on stalls. For departure stalls, we'd use T/O flaps, but for these we were clean. So, slowed down to around 70 KIAS, prop forward, full power and nose up to 15 degrees. And it just climbs. And finally mushes along. No break at all. So we recover at the horn.

Then we go from 4900' down in a steep spiral. CFI was OK with it (other than my "clearing" the engine wasn't a big burst of power). Again, the way I was trained. So I fixed it. At 2000' we'd done our three turns.

Next up, 8s on pylons. Now these I'd only done once with another CFI in a Skyhawk. I had a steady wind of 5 knots then and they seemed ridiculously easy for a "hard" maneuver then. Today I had less wind and a faster, slicker airplane. And the first two times around it was tricky transitioning between points and the CFI kept saying "You need to be at your pivotal altitude for transition." while I'm still tracking the first "pylon". On the next pass I figure out that we are too far from the pylons-we should be at a 30 degree bank to make this work. So I closed up on the targets and, sure enough, it goes great. Back to being "easy".

After this, we headed in to KJZI for power off 180 landing practice. First approach is for a normal landing and I (still head in the Skyhawk mode) mess it up enough that I decide (CFI had input but I'd already decided in my head before he said anything) to go around. From here, we did a half dozen power off 180 landings. Some things I practiced today based on stuff I learned yesterday: Fly pitch rather than speed, Make a bigger pattern. My first landing was way long. In fact we did a taxi back because (again by mutual consent) we landed past the midpoint taxiway so we' didn't even think about a T&G. But the next one was better. And then I nailed 3 in a row. Not entirely consistent approaches, but adapting and getting the touch down where I wanted it. On the last one, the CFI said "I'm going to do something the DPE may." So he pulled the power back to around 12 inches and said "You've lost most but not all of your power." So I extended downwind briefly, and put in the first notch of flaps. About the time I started my base turn, he pulled the rest out and said "Now what?" So I headed directly to the numbers. It was going to be short (aiming for the 1000' markers). He said "Dance in ground effect as long as you can." So I did. I came up about 200' short, but that was way better than I would have thought. Slick low wing in ground effect will float a long way.

Then we headed back to KCHS runway 33. And I flew the ILS 33 into Charleston. It was decent other than getting fast to stay on glide slope. On short final the CFI pulled power again. So a simulated engine failure on a simulated instrument approach-a decidedly bad simulated day. :)

2.6 hours on the Hobbs. So I took a lunch break with the intent to come back and fly more. Again weather reports are saying rain will hold off until evening. But when I am driving back to the airport it starts raining. A T-storm cell has popped up right over the airport. And is growing. So after a check of my logbook to make sure I won't come up short on the 20 hours of training required. I won't, I've already got 20 hours of commercial training over the last year. He's sure I won't need 20 hours to get ready for the ride. (I'm less sure, but I'm also not the CFI...)

So, tomorrow looks like simulator and ground. Then Tues-Thurs to get ready and checkride Friday morning at 8.

John

Last edited:
I just finished up my night rating. Up here in Canada, you don’t get night privileges (or VFR on top for that matter) with your PPL. I had previously completed all my dual for the night rating. Earlier this month I completed two solo night x-countries and yesterday I knocked out my remaining 8 night takeoffs and landings.

Next up: VFR on top - just missing 5 hours of hood time for that.

Is Canadian night a CFI sign off, or do you need an examiner check ride?

Day 3 at CRAFT. 800' broken. So rather than dodge clouds we did all the ground stuff (check logbook, checkout written for the airplane, go over missed written areas, etc.). And a little sim flying (.6). They have a motion based Redbird and we attempted to try the motion (more out of curiosity than any training value) but it didn't want to work. So we tried a few maneuvers in the sim: slow flight, stalls, lazy 8s, chandelles, steep spiral. I told the CFI that the flows are OK, but if we did much more it was going to be negative training as both the throttle and the stick in the sim are so different from the airplane. So we hung it up.

We should have good weather the rest of the week (I hope! 3 days to be ready for the checkride!)

John

Day 4 of CRAFT Accelerated Commercial is done.

We had lovely, clear (but growing breezy) weather today and got in two flights. In the morning we flew up to Berkeley County (KMKS) and did a steep spiral into an power off 180 to land on runway 5 at Berkeley County. It was, to put it mildly, awful. I started too far from the point to spiral around, had a terrible time managing speed and overshot the runway big time on the turn to final. And the CFI had to save the landing (first time that's happened in very many years. Just ugly. And it rattled me. We stayed in the pattern and did 3 more landings: 2 short field and 1 soft field. Also two short field takeoffs and one soft field. Those were passable.

Then we flew out to the north over Lake Moultrie to do air work. We did chandelles, and they were fine. Next slow flight (other than ballooning when I put in flaps-DA-40 will give an easy 100' bump if you're not watching it) and getting a little slower than requested these were just fine. And they got better. Then power off stalls, landing config and power on stalls clean. Plus a couple of accelerated stalls each way. Then we did lazy 8s and once I slowed down how fast I was pulling the nose up they were very nice and smooth with the nose falling through the 90 degree point as it should. We did a number of those left then right. Tried another steep spiral (not into a landing as the DA-40 does not have floats! :) ). Still not good. Then we did 8s on pylons. The only real correction I did here was I was starting the roll into one of the points early and then diving to chase the target. Once I talked myself into waiting for it, they were very nice.

Then we headed back into Charleston (KCHS).

Lunch break and then back out. It was bumpy (not extreme, but full sun on the varied trees, fields and parking lots makes a lot of different thermals). We flew out past Walterboro (KRBW) to do air work. Once again up to 4,500. We did slow flight, power off stalls, a power on stall and then tried the Steep Spiral again. Speed management was, well not awful but still not good and not within standards. Until the CFI flew one circle with me following on controls and then I did the last circle (4th in fact) and managed the speed better. We climbed out northwest (so now we were west of Walterboro) and did another steep spiral-not perfect but much, much better. The aha moment was watching the pitch indicator on the PFD. These planes are both faster than the Skyhawks I'm used to and slower to react. (Weird but that's how it seems at the moment.) I was over controlling rather than setting what I needed and waiting for the trends to catch up.

More 8s on pylons and those were, in the words of the CFI "Money!" :) I'll take it.

We headed over to Walterboro to do some landings and when overflying the field to teardrop into the 45 for the downwind my engine mysteriously went to idle (something it does when CFI's are in the right seat I've found) and I set up for a power off 180. I didn't make my spot but I did land just fine and other than dropping the crosswind correction when I landed it was OK. We taxied back and took off but there were a bunch of folks headed into Walterboro so we started to head for Summerfield (KDYB) but as we started looking at the clock we decided to head back to Charleston and call it a day. So I did a decent landing at KCHS, made the first turn off, to top off the day. 1.9 hours.

Two more days to be ready. CFI is confident. Me, not as much though the air maneuvers are looking good if I remember to not fixate when adjusting power. DA-40 will climb 100' in what seems like a heartbeat when I'm distracted. I know it's partly I pull the stick (and a very little is all you need) but I have to watch it!

John

Day 5 today. 2.4 hours this morning. Once again we headed out to Berkeley County (KMKS) while climbing up to 4,500. First up, steep spiral to a power off 180 on runway 5. Today it was very good despite winds aloft up to 21 knots. Nice tight spiral, four turns before we hit 1500 feet and made a nice landing just short of the mark (which won't pass I know) but the winds were really cranking and the CFI was happy. We taxied back and did a short field takeoff. We did another couple of power off 180s and a short field landing followed by a soft field landing and a soft field takeoff. I consistently land left of center line (which I need to fix) but otherwise good.

Today I was focused on tightening up my altitude and speed control. CFI announced "I'm counting all the times you bust altitude today". He never mentioned it again. :) I won't say I never got off altitude, but I could count them on one hand and they're not egregious. (We're using 50 feet even though ride will be 100 for most things.)

After landings we headed out over Lake Moultrie again to do airwork. Chandelles right and left were just fine. Lazy 8s also went very well. Steep turns got pretty good but I was fixed inside and we'll need to touch those up again switching from inside to outside views. We headed over to a common practice area to do another steep spiral. It was just fine despite the wind. (CFI taught me a cure trick, we used a campfire for a point so we had a built in wind indicator. Next we did 8s on pylons. I'm still finding them easy (So I hope that holds).

At this point we headed back intending to fly again after lunch. But the plane had a maintenance issue (not my fault!). So no flight this afternoon.

But they have more planes so we've got a different, though same equipment, plane for tomorrow and check ride on Friday. These folks are equipped, organized and top notch.

John

Day 6 is done. Now for the reckoning to see if I've learned well.

We did 3.4 hours today split in to two segments. First flight was Charleston (KCHS) to Summerville (KDYB) where I'll actually take the check ride. We did 5 landings at Summerville then as the morning flight training flights came home to roost, we headed over to Berkeley County (KMKS) to do more. Another 4 or 5 there mixed between soft, short and power off 180s with the emphasis on power off 180s. Take offs were also split between soft and short field. I do fine with take offs and my landings are much better as well. CFI noticed I got fixated on airspeed indicator on take off roll and reminded me to look down the runway which helped immensely. We climbed out over Lake Moultrie and did some steep turns. Then headed back to Summerville for a break.

After a break, We took off to do a mock commercial check ride. We headed north and did slow flight, a power off stall, then recovery. Then barely reconfigured for cruise, a power on stall (these DA-40s will climb and climb and are easy to mush but hard to stall). Horn on, lower nose and away we go. Chandelles were next. First one I forgot to put in full power. We did a few more to get it right. Then Lazy 8s and again, I'm in too much of a hurry. But got them sorted. Then a steep spiral all within standards (not to bad actually). 8s on pylons were next and then we headed in. Having pounded the landings this morning and needing (we thought) to get the plane back by 1PM we just headed back to Charleston.

IACRA and endorsements we did yesterday so today we went through the logs, marked all the relevant stuff and filled out a worksheet that CRAFT uses to check the logs for a check ride. Put everything in the plane for tomorrow and I'll pick it up around 7 to fly over to Summerville and be ready by 8.

The CFI I used for instrument (who's moved on to the airlines now) told me my messed up IR flight before check ride was just what I needed. My friend who's a check airman for a major carrier said you don't want to go int a ride off a great flight but a poor one. ANd the CFI I'm using for this commercial said the same thing. So hopefully I messed up enough this afternoon to be ready. :)

Watch this space for results tomorrow...

John

Today was day 1 of the Multi-engine add on at CRAFT.

All ground school and simulator today (which was the plan). We covered multi-engine flying (Vmc, critical engine, performance, systems in general), the DA-42IV systems and airplane, all the maneuvers, how to set them up, how to execute them, what's interesting and/or difficult, limitations in training. Then we went into the Redbird ATD and did all the maneuvers for procedure. Short field take off, normal take off, slow flight, stalls (power off, power on), steep turns, OEI in cruise, slow flight, climbing (ala departure), Vmc demo, drag demo, emergency descent (that's a fun one), then an OEI instrument approach to landing. Then we did aborted take offs. And that's about all the value you get out of this sim. It's good for procedure, but not for feeling the maneuvers.

We are awaiting the return of the DA-42 from maintenance, which was supposed to happen tonight, but now is supposed to be a commitment in the morning. If the plane is back by late morning, we are still on schedule for Friday check ride, if not we have to get with the DPE and adjust fire.

John

After a 1 day (and a half) delay due to a maintenance issue, we picked up the DA-42 at Mid-Carolina (KRUQ) this afternoon and started my multi engine training while flying the plane back to Charleston (KCHS).

We took off at about 2PM, did two circuits with T&Gs to check out the repairs and to let me get used to pattern flying the Diamond Star. Things happen fast by comparison to the singles! But I flew the pattern well and even landed on the center line (DPE would be happier!). It's not hard to fly though the control pressures are significantly higher than the DA-40, not surprisingly. After two landings there, we headed toward Berkeley County (KMKS) and enroute did: 1) slow flight, 2) power off stalls, 3) power on stalls, 4) steep turns, 5) drag demo, 6) Vmc demo (flown by the CFI, mine comes tomorrow). Then we cruised to over lake Moultrie just north of KMKS, and did an emergency descent from 5,000 feet MSL to 1,500 feet MSL. That was fun. We entered the pattern for KMKS, did two normal T&Gs, a short field taxi back and a short field takeoff. Then we flew back to Charleston (KCHS) and requested and got the RNAV 33 Y approach which I hand flew. In fact, other than testing the auto pilot as part of preflight, I didn't use it at all.

The CFI was happy with everything today except I'm not doing a good job of establishing and keeping my crosswind corrections. I got dinged on this last week as well and it's fair. I know better. The DA-42 has very long wings and while it lands just fine in cross winds, if you don't keep the correction in, the wind will pick up a wing tip easily.

So, a long day of mostly OEI stuff tomorrow, any polish up I need Saturday morning, and my check ride is scheduled for Saturday at 3:30.

John

Day 2 of multi-engine add on at CRAFT.

Two flights today. The first was 2.1 hours. We flew out of Charleston (KCHS) toward Walterboro and when out of the Charlie, climbed up to 3500' for engine shutdown. We shut down the right engine and flew for a couple of minutes that way then went through the restart. After that we did some steep turns. Next an emergency descent. Then flew over to Walterboro (KRBW) and did a couple of landings. On the third lading we did a full stop, taxied back and did an aborted take off. Then once stopped, did a short field take off. At about 500' my right engine "failed" I caught it and got us stabilized again, but it startled me. Next we did simulate SE patterns with first the Right engine "failed" then the left. Big difference in making the turns with the engine helping or hurting. We practiced SE go arounds as well as SE landings. Then we did a SE approach. THis one was awful. I blew through the final approach course and was (with great effort) able to fix it but it was baad. We headed back to KCHS and climbed up to 3500' and did 5 or 6 Vmc demos with a break and some normal cruise after 3. Mainly it went OK once I stopped rushing the power out and in. About a 2-3 count for full power level movement was better. Then another SE approach back into KCHS. This one I briefed myself and flew it like "it was on rails" (CFIs words, not mine, but I was happy with it).

Then a break for lunch. And to rest my legs. My knees both ached after I got out of the plane.

Then we went out again. Again headed for Charleston to Walterboro. After climbing up to 3500' we shut down the left engine. And went through the restart procedure. More steep turns, then we were at Walterboro. SE landings, SE go around SE approach, RNAV 23 KRBW (if you want to see it...). We were about to "break out" when someone announced straight in behind us and I got the engine back and we went around. Went missed and did another SE approach (same approach) all this with the hood on. Next we did a few short field landings. I'm still learning to both manage power and recognize where I really am aiming on final. We flew back to KCHS, climbed to 3500 and did more Vmc demos. The an emergency descent. And then flew the ILS 15 int KCHS single engine. When I brief the approach, I fly them just fine-even single engine. If the CFI (or the examiner on my SE Commercial ride) surprise me it can get ugly. So none of that tomorrow!

All in all 4.1 hours of ME today, for a total of 7.3 including 1.1 in the simulator.

CFI signed me off for the ride and said he had no doubts. (I do, but that's probably good.)

I get one more hour-ish of practice tomorrow, then the ride.

John

Well, I’m back. I first posted here 3 years ago (post 3057) just after my first solo. I had my first flight working toward my Commercial ASEL. Mostly takeoffs / landings today - shorts, softs, power off 180. Hit all my marks to commercial standard, although my first landing was “not very soft” (we didn’t bend anything ;) ).
Oops - never came back for updates. Ink on the commercial ASEL has been dry 6 weeks. It was a lot of fun mastering all of the phases of flight. Power off 180s and Lazy 8s we’re probably the most fun.

Now on to the next thing… started training in this bad boy!

270B529F-ADF8-4BDA-BC3D-E6119118D7D4.jpeg

Let me tell you, this is a complete different type of flying, all together!

Going for a new intro flight tomorrow~

DQ'd from the army so the career route seems shot, but figured it must still be worth getting the PPL. Even if there can't be a job attached to it, seems like a good resume item to have.
The prices of things right now though, yikes. . .

Oops - never came back for updates. Ink on the commercial ASEL has been dry 6 weeks. It was a lot of fun mastering all of the phases of flight. Power off 180s and Lazy 8s we’re probably the most fun.

Now on to the next thing… started training in this bad boy!

View attachment 106506

Let me tell you, this is a complete different type of flying, all together!

Hey! Here or in it's own thread, I'd love write ups of the training process! Tail wheel is on my list...

passed my bus type a little while ago; still getting used to the tray table.

passed my bus type a little while ago; still getting used to the tray table.
The tray table is easy. What bothered me more than the tray table was controls that don’t move. I had no clue how much information I was getting from thrust lever and yoke movement when the automation was turned on until it was missing. Now I have to read a screen to get the info I used to just know because of some stuff moving.

Getting closer to my PPL check ride, got my mock oral and soon my mock practical (finally proficient on my landings and maneuvers).

It's been a long road with a lots of hurdles, it's ups and lots but lots of down and frustrating landings, step turn, etc., I guess you all know what I'm talking about, specially the mature crowd.

Never give up, never surrender.

After life forced a break I am back in the saddle and about to re-solo. I have to do 2 cross countries and my night flying and will be ready for the testing regime. I am already at standard on all my maneuvers (so my CFI says) so I'm feeling pretty good. Now if I could just talked the better half into nice 210 ....

Back