Two temporary certificates in 8 days

The checkride was scheduled for 3:30 (the last ride of the day). This was postponed from Friday morning (yesterday) since the airplane was in the shop until Thursday at about 3PM.

You can see my write ups of the training in the Student Pilots thread here:So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Today, the school owner took me up for a flight before the check ride. I asked to do a Vmc demo and some landings. We did steep turns, Vmc demos (3 so I got something decent). My main problem on Vmc demos was being to fast/abrupt on the throttle changes. We did an emergency descent, then a single engine landing (at Summerfield-KDYB where the check ride would take place), taxied back and attempted a short field take off (and mysteriously the right engine failed on the take off roll, so I aborted the take off) then a short field take off and a spot landing. I did bump the main gear about a 100' early but then landed on the 1000' markers which was the plan. We taxied in a shut down.

The DPE was running behind, so we didn't get started until 4. The oral included my description of the plane and it's systems. Some discussion of Vmc (what it is and why it matters), my description of how I'd do a Vmc demo and then we went into a discussion of what would be on the ride.

We went out to fly. We did a normal take off, flew the pattern and did a short field landing, then a second pattern, and a normal landing. We took off and climbed out to the north to do airwork. We did clearing turns, shut down the left engine (real shut down), restarted it, steep turns (one each way) and I did well except I overcompensated for the balloon at the roll out of the first turn and came within feet of busting altitude low. Then the right turn was fine. We did an approach stall (and I got distracted and didn't clean up right away on recovery but it was "ok enough"). Thn a power on (aka departure) stall but with power at about 70% then pulled back just a bit to get to the stall faster. A half loaded DA-42 VI will climb out at 20 degrees nose up under full power). Then Vmc demo (which was likely the best one I did all week! I slowed down and managed it well including the recovery). We flew out to the north and got set up for the RNAV 24 approach into KDYB. WHile getting on the approach path, the right engine "failed" I flew the approach OK, but kept getting confused about left/right of course. I'm not sure what's up with that because I can fly approaches, even SE, just fine. I managed this one without getting more than 1/2 a dot out even with the confusion. His approach to the approach was different than the instructor I had been flying with in that he left the gear up longer (dropped on 2 mile final) and we flew intentionally 1/2 dot high on the glide slope. The premise (which I agree with) is a little extra energy is good when you've only got one engine. At 2 miles, we dropped the gear and put in one notch of flaps, on very short final we dropped the second notch (shortly after we "broke out") and put a nice landing on the 1000' markers. Then we were done.

I am now a Single Engine Land, Multi-Engine Land commercial pilot with Instrument privileges.

Again, thanks to CRAFT Flying for tenacity, quality instruction, professional handling and in general making it happen. Highly recommended!

John

Congrats on the new rating!

Congratulations! Pretty impressive!

So what are you going to do with your new certificates?

Congratulations! Pretty impressive!

So what are you going to do with your new certificates?
I’m not sure if I’m going to do anything other than hopefully fly better. I don’t currently hold a second class medical.
But I do plan to add seaplane ratings for both single and multi and now they can be commercial as well.
It’s mainly for the swagger and to attract girls. :)

I did my Airplane ATP ride on 4 July and at the suggestion of the DPE, took my MEI ride the following weekend on the 13th.

It felt good to get two accomplishments knocked out in rapid succession.

Congrats and enjoy the feeling!

Congrats! I’ve enjoyed reading your write ups. I definitely hope to hammer out my multi later this year.

I always thought it was funny to get a certificate in the mail that had already been superseded by the a temporary certificate...

Today I received my new plastic certificate with Commercial Pilot, Instrument, Single Engine Land, Multi Engine Land on it!

The FAA did combine the two temporary certificates into one plastic cert.

Checkrides on April 22nd and April 30th, certificate on June 17. 48 days...

Well, it’s not a record by any means, but for me it is.

Not even close. :D

I did my Commercial Glider right after graduating UPT. The FAA inspector, handed me my temp for my Commercial AMEL IA from military, and I signed it, handed it back, and he wrote up my new one with my G rating.

As a footnote, if you will, today I finished my club checkout in the Seminole.

This consisted of two flights (one last Monday and one today).

The first flight included power on and power off stalls, VMC demo, steep turns, engine out and secure plus restart, emergency descent, and pattern work for normal and short field landings.

The second included a hold (at my request-I needed a hold to reset my instrument currency), an ILS into Sanford (ILS 9L-KSFB), single engine pattern work and a short field takeoff.

It all went very smoothly. The only real memory thing I'm struggling with is putting the gear up. Down isn't a problem. Frankly, if I'm going to forget the gear, that's the one I want to forget.

I now have a total of 13.3 ME and can rent the club Seminole as I wish. It's not cheap ($220/hobbs hour dry) but I can build some twin time for the future.

John

Back