So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

After life forced a break I am back in the saddle and about to re-solo. I have to do 2 cross countries and my night flying and will be ready for the testing regime. I am already at standard on all my maneuvers (so my CFI says) so I'm feeling pretty good. Now if I could just talked the better half into nice 210 ....

Good luck! What are you flying, and where are you based?

Good luck! What are you flying, and where are you based?

I am currently flying out of KINT, I feel the flight training school there is very good and I really gelled with my CFI right off the bat. I am flying 172 L and M models and Archer II aircraft.

Getting connected with a CFI you gel with is key. That's made all the difference for me. It really stood out the handful of times he's been away or under the weather and I needed to fly with another CFI. The couple of "pinch hitters" I've flown with have been fine, but it was enough to realize I wouldn't have enjoyed my training as much with them as I have with my "real" CFI. There's a YouTube personality, LewDix Aviation, who has a good parody video of CFI types that summarized some of the "pinch hitters" pretty well - for one guy, that video was all I could think of during our flight; it was almost a biopic. :rolleyes:

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I think the flight school is good. While most of the CFI's there are rather young they are also real easy to get along with. They have a nice atmosphere there which I think is pretty important. I just got lucky to be frank, and the CFI I was suggested to start with/try out just gelled and worked and has been super in my humble opinion. Weather got me yesterday and we had to cancel what was supposed to be me re-solo flight due to a pop up string of thunderstorms. Hopefully mother nature with be gentler on Monday when we try again lol.

Good luck with the weather! I’m working toward my check ride and should be going solo next Saturday, weather permitting (summer in Atlanta means thunderstorms out of nowhere, so who knows). I think I need another hour or so to tick the box on that category.

After having to reschedule twice due to weather, was able to have my demo flight this weekend. What a great experience! Decided to go sport pilot after reading a lot about the medical and not wanting to spend the time or money on that right now. Glad I did my research as I think most places say to get a medical.
Plane was a evector sports star plus. Wanted to try it out to make sure the size works and at 6-1 190 had no problem. Too focused on flying to notice the space really. Got to do the takeoff, hour of flight and landing and found it all very enjoyable!
Going to figure out scheduling and get signed up. only a few schools around (Seattle area) here seem to offer the sport pilot so I was happy to find one about 30 minutes from the house.
Glad to finally move from reading about to doing!

It has been a few months since i have last flown. Actually almost six months. Between work and other responsibilities- i have not had the time to get on the schedule. I was able to book this thursday and friday for a couple hours each day. Looking forward to knocking the rust off, get current, and get back training. All i need to do is 1 hr solo time and checkride prep. Plan on getting my checkride scheduled in the next month or so.

With that amount of time off you might find you’ll need more than the three hours of check ride prep.

There's a YouTube personality, LewDix Aviation, who has a good parody video of CFI types that summarized some of the "pinch hitters" pretty well - for one guy, that video was all I could think of during our flight; it was almost a biopic. :rolleyes:
That video
is hilarious, but almost too close to reality! Hopefully you can laugh at it!

Well ... I am almost giddy ... I successfully did my solo today. We have scheduled the last few things like the 2 cross countries and a little instument time and I'll be ready for my check ride. Words don't describe how excited/happy I am at the moment :D

Congratulations, pilot! It is literally the most fun I've ever had in the pattern. Get that shirttail tacked up in the FBO, pronto! The solo cross country is so much fun, too.

Well ... I am almost giddy ... I successfully did my solo today. We have scheduled the last few things like the 2 cross countries and a little instument time and I'll be ready for my check ride. Words don't describe how excited/happy I am at the moment :D

Congratulations!

May I suggest going to Yellowknife for the cross country, its a nice flight. ;)

I think that maybe, just maybe that's a touch further than my CFI will sign off on LOL ... although I could totally get talked into Yellowknife after I get my instrument ... and my own plane ... and renew my passport ... :p

I think that maybe, just maybe that's a touch further than my CFI will sign off on LOL ... although I could totally get talked into Yellowknife after I get my instrument ... and my own plane ... and renew my passport ... :p

I used to live there, and heading back next week for a friends wedding. I love Yellowknife, best place I've ever lived.

Yet another good day learning/flying. Had my first solo flight and it was great. Just flew a few "lazy" turns around points and went to a different field to do a few take offs and landings then back to the home field. Doing the night cross country tomorrow evening and studying for the written ... almost there :D

Update - Passed my Private Pilot Checkride! Had 86.2 hours but I logged quite a few while waiting almost a month to get on the DPE's schedule. Now I have to figure out what to do with all this spare time.

IMG_4132.JPG

That's ease, start reading for the instrument rating and enjoy flying family and friends around.

At age 51 years old I soloed last week! Here is my short back story on getting to solo:
  • I started flying with my dad when I was 10-12 years old. My dad got his PPL at around age 16. He owned or co-owned Piper Cubs, Cessna 150s, 172s, and 182s. He loved to fly. In college he flew Civil Air Patrol.
  • Between ages 14-18 I took lessons on and off while still flying with my dad whenever life did not get in the way. I logged roughly 20 hours of student time in over those summers, and continued flying with my dad.
  • 18-23 years of age I flew with my dad in the summers then I moved to the US west coast (family is from the mid Atlantic region).
  • 23-42 years of age I flew with my dad on both coasts ever few years when we would get together.
  • 43 years of age I committed to getting my PPL and logged 10 hours in late summer before the weather kept me mostly grounded in the Pacific NW winter and waiting for next weather windows to pick up where I left off.
  • 44 years of age my dad had some health problems which became worse suddenly and he passed away in his late 60s.
  • 45-48 years of age work got in the way and much to my frustration I was not able to train at all and did not finish my PPL.
  • 49 years of age Covid happened and I was soooo irritated I did not already have my PPL (I travel between the Pacific NW to the Desert SW 2-3 times per month year round). I recommitted to getting my PPL as soon as Covid let up so I could begin to fly myself the 650nm each way instead of flying commercial all of the time (or driving 1,000 miles during the worst early months of Covid).
  • Wednesday, July 13, 2022 I soloed after logging about 80 hours in the last 12 months which included 2 gaps of 6 weeks when I could not fly due to Covid related work issues.
  • With a little luck I will be ready for my PPL Check ride this fall.
Thanks for reading, Michael

Michael, I got to solo at 49 and got my PPL check ride a week after turning 50.

Just my 2 cents try to fly at least 3 times a week no matter what, you'll see your proficiency increase exponentially and you will nail your check ride in no time.

Sounds like I am in good company! Thanks for the 2 cents Juan. I definitely have found the more frequently I fly the faster my proficiency increases.

Right now my work schedule dictates I am available to fly 4 days in a row at my home airport. Then for 10 days I am out of town. Which typically means I log 5-6 hours over 3-4 days every 2 weeks with a 10 day gap. Not ideal for flying 3 times per week, but not horrible either all things considered. Once I have my PPL, the plan is to purchase a plane, stop flying commercial when ever possible and make those 9-10 day trips under my own power.

Go for it, and have fun, make sure your instructor is a pleasant person, not too pretty of a girl or you'll get distracted, hahahaha.

Mine is still fresh in my mind, it was easier than I expected.

Good luck.

i am hoping that is the case for me. i have been hitting the books, notes, and study guides as much as possible. been flying a couple days a week. i actually took the week off work prior to my checkride to make sure im good to go.

Hey all,
I'm a relatively new student pilot in the PDX area. My PPL check ride is scheduled for August 19. I'm really nervous but excited to become the first pilot in my family! Wish me luck!

Welcome to POA, and good luck with the checkride! Keep us posted.

Was just wondering how many active students there are on here and how you guys are making out? Nice knowing others are pushing themselves through the same stuff. Let us know where you are with your training! :D

09/16/2014 Update: I passed my IR Checkride. I am going to gain experience in the system for a year then work on my commercial. Long term goal is CFI. Still a student. :yes:

04/22/2014 Update: I passed my instrument rating written test. Still gaining the required hood time.

02/13/2014 Update: I added High Performance to the logbook in Jan 2014. Still pursuing my instrument rating but the winter weather has kept me from doing much.

11/08/2013 Update: I passed my PPL Checkride in Sept 2013. I am pursuing my instrument rating currently. I hope this thread can stay alive with the status of other students. It is nice reading everyone's progress!

My Original Post:

I'm getting really close to my check ride and have 56 hours so far. I'm guessing i'll have close to 70 hours when I take the tests. Took me a grueling 28 to solo and I have been flying more than required because this stuff is just to dang fun. So much for the 40 hour requirement. :rofl:

I know a few of you are around the same point and others catching up fast. :goofy:

I'm almost sixty. During my Junior year the Army came out with a, "High School to Flight School" program and I had always wanted to fly but we weren't well off in the late seventies so dad could not afford to help. If I worked a lot I could afford pilot training, if I took the time for instruction however I couldn't work the extra hours necessary to pay for it. Catch 22!

When the program was announced though I got very excited about it and discussed it with my dad and he thought it would be a great way for me to go. Flight Warrants had a very solid career path and endless opportunities following retirement from the service.

We had a good family friend who was a WWII pilot who was just getting back into flying finishing up his twin certification.

Bob invited me along for a few rides and man was I hooked. Once he finished his own training we flew every weekend we could and he taught me everything he knew and gave me many hours at the controls.

Towards the end of my Senior Year everything looked great till in early April I get a call from the recruiter. There was a four step process after taking the ASVAB ending with a final officer's board, a high stress job interview and anal exam all in one. I had finished all of these and was ready for my final board the next day when I get the call.

He informs me the program had met it's quota and would be closed for 12-18 months.

Not being ready mentally for college and not wanting to play college ball in spite of some very nice offers I enlisted anyway and had a fairly interesting career at JSOC for the next 13 years.

Life got really busy after that with work, education, operating my own small ranch and before I new it I was turning 59, ready to retire and the bug hit me again.

I'd been fortunate that quite a few other friends and family friends shared what they knew as pilots and let me do some flying over the years but finally I've taken the plunge so with a little luck in a few months I'll have my Private Pilots Certificate.

Looking at the cost of leasing/renting a plane as a student I'm getting nearer and nearer to just going ahead and buying a modestly priced time builder until I'm ready to move onto a twin which will either likely be a Piper or I'll take the deep plunge and jump up into a plane I've had a fascination and love for, for the last 30 plus years, the Cessna Skymaster/Super Skymaster.

I only wish I'd been able to make the time to start this a couple of decades ago.

Hey all,
I'm a relatively new student pilot in the PDX area. My PPL check ride is scheduled for August 19. I'm really nervous but excited to become the first pilot in my family! Wish me luck!
Think of it as just another ride and things will go much smoother. We're far more prone to make mistakes when we get anxious or excited.

Getting connected with a CFI you gel with is key. That's made all the difference for me. It really stood out the handful of times he's been away or under the weather and I needed to fly with another CFI. The couple of "pinch hitters" I've flown with have been fine, but it was enough to realize I wouldn't have enjoyed my training as much with them as I have with my "real" CFI. There's a YouTube personality, LewDix Aviation, who has a good parody video of CFI types that summarized some of the "pinch hitters" pretty well - for one guy, that video was all I could think of during our flight; it was almost a biopic. :rolleyes:

I would have enjoyed to have LewDix as my CFI. Matches my learning style.

After having to reschedule twice due to weather, was able to have my demo flight this weekend. What a great experience! Decided to go sport pilot after reading a lot about the medical and not wanting to spend the time or money on that right now. Glad I did my research as I think most places say to get a medical.
Plane was a evector sports star plus. Wanted to try it out to make sure the size works and at 6-1 190 had no problem. Too focused on flying to notice the space really. Got to do the takeoff, hour of flight and landing and found it all very enjoyable!
Going to figure out scheduling and get signed up. only a few schools around (Seattle area) here seem to offer the sport pilot so I was happy to find one about 30 minutes from the house.
Glad to finally move from reading about to doing!
I would certainly advise getting the medical before going any further just for my own peace of mind and that of my family. You probably don't want to risk a heart attack, stroke, or seizure resulting in a crash that could very well harm/kill others.

I've been looking at a few sporty little hotrods myself just as time builders and even a couple of amphibs.

Update - Passed my Private Pilot Checkride! Had 86.2 hours but I logged quite a few while waiting almost a month to get on the DPE's schedule. Now I have to figure out what to do with all this spare time.

View attachment 108878
Keep flying working up to the next rating and have fun or just start taking some cross country trips for fun! Congrats.

I would certainly advise getting the medical before going any further just for my own peace of mind and that of my family. You probably don't want to risk a heart attack, stroke, or seizure resulting in a crash that could very well harm/kill others.

I've been looking at a few sporty little hotrods myself just as time builders and even a couple of amphibs.

This is not good advice. If you are worried you are at risk for those things, ask your primary care physician for an extensive work up to check all that, and then go fly on your driver's license. Do not mess with the FAA medical system if all you want to fly is a light sport!

This is not good advice. If you are worried you are at risk for those things, ask your primary care physician for an extensive work up to check all that, and then go fly on your driver's license. Do not mess with the FAA medical system if all you want to fly is a light sport!
How is it not good advice as we both said the same thing only worded differently?

My point is the same as yours, if someone feels at risk of such things they don't need to be in the air risking the lives of others.

Just so happened to be at the doctor this morning actually. All good health wise but that’s not really how FAA medical works is it. I’m very confident that with two years and $5,000 or so I would have a third class but why jump through the hoops right now when I could be flying!

Just so happened to be at the doctor this morning actually. All good health wise but that’s not really how FAA medical works is it. I’m very confident that with two years and $5,000 or so I would have a third class but why jump through the hoops right now when I could be flying!
That's good news. You could however be doing both at the same time so it's not really a "one or the other".

Back