So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

How is it not good advice as we both said the same thing only worded differently?

My point is the same as yours, if someone feels at risk of such things they don't need to be in the air risking the lives of others.

No, it's not. The FAA medical system is not anything at all like going to the doctor's and getting a physical done. If a pilot is not planning on ever needing or wanting private pilot privileges, he should never even think about entering the FAA medical system. If the FAA decides that his ADHD diagnosis from when he was ten years old that was given to him because his teacher wanted him to sit still in class is valid, he can no longer fly at all until he does some very lengthy, very expensive processes. If the pilot has had some kidney stones, the FAA treats them as if they have multiple, sudden-onset attacks of debilitating pain and it is not easy or cheap to prove that he doesn't and could safely fly. And those are just two examples of why it's different. There are many, many more. Never advise someone to try for an FAA medical if they don't need or want one. There is no reason for that.

No, it's not. The FAA medical system is not anything at all like going to the doctor's and getting a physical done. If a pilot is not planning on ever needing or wanting private pilot privileges, he should never even think about entering the FAA medical system. If the FAA decides that his ADHD diagnosis from when he was ten years old that was given to him because his teacher wanted him to sit still in class is valid, he can no longer fly at all until he does some very lengthy, very expensive processes. If the pilot has had some kidney stones, the FAA treats them as if they have multiple, sudden-onset attacks of debilitating pain and it is not easy or cheap to prove that he doesn't and could safely fly. And those are just two examples of why it's different. There are many, many more. Never advise someone to try for an FAA medical if they don't need or want one. There is no reason for that.

I didn't mention the FAA at all, just getting the medical exam.

I didn't mention the FAA at all, just getting the medical exam.

That was my misunderstanding, then. You replied to a post about a guy who decided not to get a FAA medical and advised him to get the medical first, so I assumed you were advising him to get an FAA 3rd class medical, not a physical exam/check-up from his doctor. There is nothing wrong with getting a physical from a doctor before flying Sport Pilot, though. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

Third lesson for me this morning - went well up until steep turns. After the third 360 degree turn, I started to feel sick and told my CFI that it was time to turn back. At least I lasted until after we parked until I needed the sick bag :(:(
An unwelcome development though.

Third lesson for me this morning - went well up until steep turns. After the third 360 degree turn, I started to feel sick and told my CFI that it was time to turn back. At least I lasted until after we parked until I needed the sick bag :(:(

How hot and bumpy was it? I almost never get motion-sick (car, air, boat, etc.), but if I practiced too many steep turns in a row in heat and bumps, I would start feeling quite queasy.

How hot and bumpy was it? I almost never get motion-sick (car, air, boat, etc.), but if I practiced too many steep turns in a row in heat and bumps, I would start feeling quite queasy.

If you don’t get motion sickness when @2-Bit Speed is driving the Miata, I’m surprised steep turns in bumps would phase you!
:D

it was hot today, but not too bumpy. I had the air on me which helped. I just don't think my stomach was expecting those maneuvers.

I'm training for a new rating!!!! I am a 180hr ASEL PPL (No instrument).

My hometown airport just got a new FBO with a new twin, so I'm finally going to go knock out my AMEL next week. I have four 2.5 hour sessions booked Tu/W/Th/F (we'll do ground+chair fly+actual flying each day). I'm studing the AFH chapter 13, the ASA Oral Exam guide for multi and the king school multi course with a goal of doing a checkride at the end of the week, but I'm not sure if that will happen. It's something I've wanted to do for years and I'm finally signed up, scheduled and going for it. I"m non commercial/non instrument so there are a few things I won't have to study/do.

Wish me luck!

I'm fortunate that motion sickness has never hit me. My little brother though can get sick sitting on the porch watching the trees blow or cars drive by.

Nature can be rather unkind to us in many ways.

I'm training for a new rating!!!! I am a 180hr ASEL PPL (No instrument).

My hometown airport just got a new FBO with a new twin, so I'm finally going to go knock out my AMEL next week. I have four 2.5 hour sessions booked Tu/W/Th/F (we'll do ground+chair fly+actual flying each day). I'm studing the AFH chapter 13, the ASA Oral Exam guide for multi and the king school multi course with a goal of doing a checkride at the end of the week, but I'm not sure if that will happen. It's something I've wanted to do for years and I'm finally signed up, scheduled and going for it. I"m non commercial/non instrument so there are a few things I won't have to study/do.

Wish me luck!
Congrats, hope it all goes well.

If you don’t get motion sickness when @2-Bit Speed is driving the Miata, I’m surprised steep turns in bumps would phase you!
:D

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's not very nice! :p To be honest, though, he drives a lot better than about 98% of people I've ridden with!

20 hours into my PPL training, will solo at some point this month, according to my CFI.
Congrats, that's a big step. Pay attention to what you're doing, relax and do it by the numbers and pretty quick you'll be having a whole lot of fun and far fewer headaches.

His driving instructor was a former racing driver.
Anyone who thinks they can drive and have a nice car/truck that wants to test themselves should come down here for our spring and fall road rallies. It's one heck of a course.

Thank you, I actually ended up getting very sick over the weekend, so I"m having to reschedule out a few weeks. BOO!
More time to polish things up isn't a bad thing. Best wishes and good luck can be forwarded.

Hope to start TW endorsement/Superstol XL transition this week. Insurance wants 10 dual. Then on to instrument.

Had my checkride today. Passed the oral but found a mechanical issue with the plane so discontinued until it can be fixed. 1/2 done and got through the hard part. Looking forward in getting the plane fixed and completing the practical.
That's a bummer but if I were your DPE you'd be looking pretty good right now.

This should give you some time to continue boning up on everything with the pressure off. Best of luck.

Hello. I have roughly half a dozen flight schools near me, some over toll bridges, most within an hours drive. How do I decide where to start my flight lessons for Part 61? Thanks! I work 9-5, M-F, but am eager to get in the air and get going. This is in New York metro area. Looking at Danbury, Morristown, perhaps Bridgeport, perhaps Long Island.

Hello. I have roughly half a dozen flight schools near me, some over toll bridges, most within an hours drive. How do I decide where to start my flight lessons for Part 61? Thanks! I work 9-5, M-F, but am eager to get in the air and get going. This is in New York metro area. Looking at Danbury, Morristown, perhaps Bridgeport, perhaps Long Island.
I'd start by researching them online to see what their students have to say about them then visit some and get the "feel" of their staff.

If you can find the info, take a hard look at their graduation/success rates as well.

in reading a bit on considerations, am I going to ding Danbury as an option due to terrain alone? with names like PINE MOUNTAIN and HEMLOCK HILLS in the immediate vicinity, maybe Bridgeport KBDR would be more welcoming...just thinking out loud, thanks everyoneupload_2022-8-29_16-49-31.png

Is price a consideration? Do you generally get along with people? What is your learning style? Those are all questions you need to answer for yourself. After you look them up online, just go visit them. There's only six. Spread it out over six weeks and go to one every weekend. See if you like how the planes look. Ask questions about schedules, if they can work around your work schedule, cancellation policies, or how they would handle it if you and your first instructor didn't click well together. Are there other students? Are they happy and excited to be learning there?

I come from the flattest of flatlands, so I can't help you much with terrain questions. I doubt it would be much of an issue, though.

in reading a bit on considerations, am I going to ding Danbury as an option due to terrain alone? with names like PINE MOUNTAIN and HEMLOCK HILLS in the immediate vicinity, maybe Bridgeport KBDR would be more welcoming...just thinking out loud, thanks everyoneView attachment 110056
I'm new here, so I haven't seen your previous posts, but that's the airport I'm currently using as a student pilot. If you're looking for flat terrain, no this isn't it, it's 457' above sea level to start with, but there's nothing about it that I've found intimidating. It's lovely scenery with hills and lakes nearby and a nice place to fly out of as a student pilot. PM me if you need more info on the area.

Is price a consideration? Do you generally get along with people? What is your learning style? Those are all questions you need to answer for yourself. After you look them up online, just go visit them. There's only six. Spread it out over six weeks and go to one every weekend. See if you like how the planes look. Ask questions about schedules, if they can work around your work schedule, cancellation policies, or how they would handle it if you and your first instructor didn't click well together. Are there other students? Are they happy and excited to be learning there?

I come from the flattest of flatlands, so I can't help you much with terrain questions. I doubt it would be much of an issue, though.

Agreed.

You might also ask about CFI turnover. I went through 4 CFIs on the way to Sport Pilot, and two more for Private. Lots of young CFIs only teach until the airline calls, and you can be left hanging. The turnover slowed me down a lot.

Agreed.

You might also ask about CFI turnover. I went through 4 CFIs on the way to Sport Pilot, and two more for Private. Lots of young CFIs only teach until the airline calls, and you can be left hanging. The turnover slowed me down a lot.

I believe I'm going through this now. In fairness, he did warn me that he'd probably be leaving in late summer. Currently any time I propose he's not available, so I'm looking for one where our schedules sync up.

I also plan on joining my local flying club so I hope they'll have some recommendations, and if nothing else I can continue to learn more about aviation from them.

I believe I'm going through this now. In fairness, he did warn me that he'd probably be leaving in late summer. Currently any time I propose he's not available, so I'm looking for one where our schedules sync up.

I also plan on joining my local flying club so I hope they'll have some recommendations, and if nothing else I can continue to learn more about aviation from them.
Aviation is an interesting and fairly tight community. Once you get your foot in the door and start meeting and getting to know people getting all those questions answered will become very easy.

My first real discovery flight tomorrow very early. I say “real” because I had another about 2 weeks ago but the guy was young and pretty uninterested in teaching as far as I could tell. I eventually told him “I’ll handle the controls as much as you are comfortable with” so I could at least do some turns and then bring us on the downwind. Nice guy. I liked him but I told him my plans up front so I expected he would want to hook me. Guess that happens with the guys that get to 1000 hours and see the end zone coming. ‍♂️

CFI I am flying with tomorrow already plans to do a short ground school brief so I can taxi us, do pre-flight run up, and takeoff. He also told me to bring a log book and the items I need to get signed up for my student. I have to admit that impresses me. If we get along personality-wise I think I’m really going to like what he has to offer. Hell, even if not, his teaching plan speaks to me. A good teacher can be very hard to find. And since he owns his plane I can probably go from start to finish with him. Pretty excited! Wish me luck!

My first real discovery flight tomorrow very early. I say “real” because I had another about 2 weeks ago but the guy was young and pretty uninterested in teaching as far as I could tell. I eventually told him “I’ll handle the controls as much as you are comfortable with” so I could at least do some turns and then bring us on the downwind. Nice guy. I liked him but I told him my plans up front so I expected he would want to hook me. Guess that happens with the guys that get to 1000 hours and see the end zone coming. ‍♂️

CFI I am flying with tomorrow already plans to do a short ground school brief so I can taxi us, do pre-flight run up, and takeoff. He also told me to bring a log book and the items I need to get signed up for my student. I have to admit that impresses me. If we get along personality-wise I think I’m really going to like what he has to offer. Hell, even if not, his teaching plan speaks to me. A good teacher can be very hard to find. And since he owns his plane I can probably go from start to finish with him. Pretty excited! Wish me luck!
Sounds like my first discovery flight. Super green CFI, I think I got maybe 5 minutes of shallow S turns and a scenic flight. My replacement was night and day(sounds like yours).

Sounds like my first discovery flight. Super green CFI, I think I got maybe 5 minutes of shallow S turns and a scenic flight. My replacement was night and day(sounds like yours).

I cannot even begin to express what an enormous difference today was. I LEARNED something. Many things in fact! I flew the airplane 80% of the time or more. Turn around a point was absolutely the best. 8s, S turns, stalls. Absolutely loved it all. First entry is in my log book. The adventure has begun!

I cannot even begin to express what an enormous difference today was. I LEARNED something. Many things in fact! I flew the airplane 80% of the time or more. Turn around a point was absolutely the best. 8s, S turns, stalls. Absolutely loved it all. First entry is in my log book. The adventure has begun!

As a new CFI, but with 1,000 hours logged and not looking for an airline job (I’m 50), this is great. I wish more CFIs were not just building hours.

Please check back in and let us know how it goes. Best of luck, relax, listen and have a good time.

I know its been a long minute since I posted an update. I just had my best flight yet. I just did my long 3 point 150+mile cross country and it was great. This is the kind of flying I have been dreaming of, beautiful clear Carolina day and the air was like glass at 7500 :D I had 3 nearly perfect landings and no mistakes ... just a splendid day. I have 1 night flight to do and I'm officially in test prep phase and getting ready to finish up. Getting kind of excited!

Wrapped up the flying portion of my checkride today! It was quite windy as a cold front moved through but was able to stay within my personal minimums. Completed the practical and passed! Im a real pilot now! So excited!

Congrats! What a great milestone in life!

Back