So, homebuilders...who are we and where do we stand?

My last Cub used Ceconite and dope with Imron color trim. I wanted the Ceconite with Ranthane on the new one but the time-proven green Dacproofer is impossible to get in Alaska now so I switched to Stits with Aerothane. I thought about Superflight VII but nobody I know has any Alaska experience with it. Stewarts System is gaining popularity but nobody knows how it'll hold up over time so I stayed with what I know works.

Last edited:
@yakdriver

I realize the rv9 isn't a backcountry steed, but it would fulfil a mission. I initially wanted to build one, but decided that it was much easier to rent for the "visit the family" mission than it is to rent something that I can land next to a river and go fish.

I'll likely take you up that offer to come up. I haven't been to Twin since college. Just let me know what a good weekend would be.

Korben: It's worth the time and the money to go take the SportAir workshop on fabric if you decide to go with a tube and rag airplane. It won't cover every type of covering issue or style, but it's enough of the basics to get you going.

Composites are remarkably easy to work with and very forgiving of mistakes.
Quite honestly, my first thought when I read this was "I want some of what he is smoking." :)

But, I see you have a kit with pre-molded big bits which can significantly reduce the fill / sand / fill / sand /fill /sand... cycle.
kit.png

But even so, congratulations on finishing a really big job. Very few (including myself) have the persistence to actually finish a complete aircraft (I sold a partly done Skybolt kit years ago and ended up buying an already flying E-AB).

I think a lot comes down to what you enjoy working with the most. I've worked on all aluminum (T-18) homebuilts and my rag and tube ride (Merlin GT) - each has it's advantages, each takes a whole lot of time, and in the end, each gets the job done. But having worked on an extensive restoration of a fiberglass boat, just the idea of a composite aircraft makes me itch. Really.

Quite honestly, my first thought when I read this was "I want some of what he is smoking." :)

But, I see you have a kit with pre-molded big bits which can significantly reduce the fill / sand / fill / sand /fill /sand... cycle.
kit.png

But even so, congratulations on finishing a really big job. Very few (including myself) have the persistence to actually finish a complete aircraft (I sold a partly done Skybolt kit years ago and ended up buying an already flying E-AB).

I think a lot comes down to what you enjoy working with the most. I've worked on all aluminum (T-18) homebuilts and my rag and tube ride (Merlin GT) - each has it's advantages, each takes a whole lot of time, and in the end, each gets the job done. But having worked on an extensive restoration of a fiberglass boat, just the idea of a composite aircraft makes me itch. Really.

Thanks!!

After I finished the Tango, I swore I would never build another plane. A few years later I got the itch again. I'm currently, kinda, sorta, working on a plans built wood plane. I might have to start working on it again next year. If I get this one done, I might consider doing an aluminum plane. Maybe an RV or something. Just to keep me busy.

BTW... That's the Foxtrot kit. But the Tango pretty much comes the same way.

RV-10 builder/flyer here. After glider racing and driving a tailwheel Maule around I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted but it didn't exist at the time. While doing due diligence on RV-7, the RV-10 came on the scene and there it was; a fast homebuilt cruiser for 2 and all the stuff we ever want to carry. And most important, something we could afford to fly in retirement.

Five years to build and five years flying (800 hours), it exceeded all of our expectations. But I only have one build in me. Now it's all about maintenance and IFR proficiency

Five years to build and five years flying (800 hours), it exceeded all of our expectations. But I only have one build in me. Now it's all about maintenance and IFR proficiency
Only a year and a half into my build but I have a strong feeling this won't be my last.

Only a year and a half into my build but I have a strong feeling this won't be my last.

Hang in there. It took me 8 years to get from first kit to first flight--a year and a half later and 140 hrs and it's still not complete.

Hey Mouse;
Did you ever finish the Mitchell B-10?

While I have the Hiperbipe myself I am privileged to work on and do the CI's on an RV6, RV9, RV10, helping on an RV-14 build. In the non RV camp I work an Velocity XLRG and a Glasair II. Whew!
Just to keep myself reminded of WHY I like the Experimental's I'm rebuilding a 1946 Aeronca 7AC...god I hate the FAA...

I'm just finishing up a certified Supercub. 27 STCs and all the paperwork to go with it. I also hate the FAA. I have the experimental Supercub I built that got bent up next in line, then I can finally work on My Nanchang CJ-6 project that is Experimental Exhibition. I figure if I have enough projects to last a few years I won't be able to die and just keep living to finish them all. Don

Hey Mouse;
Did you ever finish the Mitchell B-10?

While I have the Hiperbipe myself I am privileged to work on and do the CI's on an RV6, RV9, RV10, helping on an RV-14 build. In the non RV camp I work an Velocity XLRG and a Glasair II. Whew!
Just to keep myself reminded of WHY I like the Experimental's I'm rebuilding a 1946 Aeronca 7AC...god I hate the FAA...

Actually, I was doing the U-2, but no. I had to put the project on hold when the pieces I needed to make were too big to ship through the APO mail system or take as checked baggage.

Now that I have a workshop in the States, I might start it up again.

I'm just finishing up the final touches on the empennage kit of my RV-10 that I started back in March of 2016.
Quickbuild Wings should be here in a couple of weeks. Just made my final payment to Van's today for those.

iPg5FK7XSgv4iRj7j4PE0XDtHfrp2pzl1Z5pGtr3E0QBe8Dk4tg6E-tGjd6962n9qy7qLlUFxZ5y8NRV2Dsyd3PPdleTaTCwPqMQjyFpOvvr6dqGZJiJO3as8oAF2rr7vioYNo9wMZTDxcptwr_u-mz26CPp0VWDYf9amDj6F5Z2NXqEqoAjTzCJAHKEUzBeHpYB4G7KqHVk2OZqJCHFFGE7dEgCYX7daR0Y2voPhnFz5PZB4ykDwHSsVRCcsU9kSqFpyxIauneJpC9pCNbBfBA_UTs3-8j6tOpqCvK0vlgwuU4L2qqi7oW1TBumN7u-LnTPNu_R4R4IDUXOB_8iU0aGkBIxNRWlJlB_qrEUY86pevCac75Eo6l8yPzfS9-PBKNuDvuEgmvFiv_R2WBKgEpsdhE1Y8mNc07YmIYy6a6poIEn0-qpPtZKzI7O-eb1wwIoPj3Ah_qAW9f7DI1RoQUh6_DKtLn47pUO9ipQ6NDgYen2bMFDwau1zbDzmxyPH6lcMbU26MRDygLojzYGUWPqfsxcZFZgV6uUxEJKoyZPwSj2q21lqSOHRQ0PUc_DxOYXkhIsiYVXpSdTLBpHsodrmUizrpbldhjvlS8CMgM_yfm2wuHMSb6qqvUbvOd1ui72fN-TOTfS9YJ4DE5mlgjf-ZjeWMC9cTTllrq-_Q=w681-h907-no

The Backcountry and Javron Cubs are fantastic airplanes but would be tough for an inexperienced first time builder without a lot of help from someone who knows aircraft construction.

Don -- can you talk a little more about this? I definitely fall in the inexperienced first time builder category but am also looking at the Javron Cub. I've spoken with Jay and he's offering a one week "kick start" in Brainerd which seems like a great way to get started (of course that's just the start though...)
Thanks

I'm just finishing up the final touches on the empennage kit of my RV-10 that I started back in March of 2016.
Quickbuild Wings should be here in a couple of weeks. Just made my final payment to Van's today for those.

iPg5FK7XSgv4iRj7j4PE0XDtHfrp2pzl1Z5pGtr3E0QBe8Dk4tg6E-tGjd6962n9qy7qLlUFxZ5y8NRV2Dsyd3PPdleTaTCwPqMQjyFpOvvr6dqGZJiJO3as8oAF2rr7vioYNo9wMZTDxcptwr_u-mz26CPp0VWDYf9amDj6F5Z2NXqEqoAjTzCJAHKEUzBeHpYB4G7KqHVk2OZqJCHFFGE7dEgCYX7daR0Y2voPhnFz5PZB4ykDwHSsVRCcsU9kSqFpyxIauneJpC9pCNbBfBA_UTs3-8j6tOpqCvK0vlgwuU4L2qqi7oW1TBumN7u-LnTPNu_R4R4IDUXOB_8iU0aGkBIxNRWlJlB_qrEUY86pevCac75Eo6l8yPzfS9-PBKNuDvuEgmvFiv_R2WBKgEpsdhE1Y8mNc07YmIYy6a6poIEn0-qpPtZKzI7O-eb1wwIoPj3Ah_qAW9f7DI1RoQUh6_DKtLn47pUO9ipQ6NDgYen2bMFDwau1zbDzmxyPH6lcMbU26MRDygLojzYGUWPqfsxcZFZgV6uUxEJKoyZPwSj2q21lqSOHRQ0PUc_DxOYXkhIsiYVXpSdTLBpHsodrmUizrpbldhjvlS8CMgM_yfm2wuHMSb6qqvUbvOd1ui72fN-TOTfS9YJ4DE5mlgjf-ZjeWMC9cTTllrq-_Q=w681-h907-no

Go ahead and install the empennage tips while you're at it. You'll be surprised at the amount of work needed. Also, is the top front skin on the tailcone already riveted? You'll need to de-rivet that if it is...

Go ahead and install the empennage tips while you're at it. You'll be surprised at the amount of work needed. Also, is the top front skin on the tailcone already riveted? You'll need to de-rivet that if it is...

Yeah I'm working on the tips now.
No the forward top skin isn't riveted.
Clecos are on the inside.

Today's project- build insulating shrouds for the mechanical and electric fuel pumps. Both will be force-cooled by blast tubes. Build them, install them, remove them to take to the powder coater. More fun with home building.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Wow, you made some good progress. Your empennage also looks really nice.
We are currently working on a RV-10 empennage kit as well, albeit at a slower pace… :rolleyes:

I've got 2 "projects" going on here. Both are just kind of dreams. Not sure that either will ever get finished.

1. Minicoupe - I built a sample 1 foot wing section over Thanksgiving. I'm slowly working on putting the files into Solidworks, courtesy of the EAA. I hope to get some ribs with pilot holes cut via waterjet or high speed routing and then reattempt building a 1 foot wing section. More details over at homebuiltairplanes: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26410

qP1T8v177IHt8gXtdoJOBLymx62knr3zNjx9r5ykamOtntwDjO7AzEv2pLJ8b2g9s_eYWSL5-sdhruY=w1920-h901-rw

^^^ Not sure why that link is not coming through. I tried to do it the same way I did the one that worked below. Direct link to the image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q...jO7AzEv2pLJ8b2g9s_eYWSL5-sdhruY=w1920-h901-rw

2. My own design, the AZ-705 (rough 1/2 scale BV-141... 141/2 = 70.5). It has been flipped when compared with the original since it's being designed around a VW engine which rotate the wrong direction. Probably even less realistic than me ever finishing the Minicoupe. But's if fun to think about. More details over at homebuiltairplanes: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25641&page=3

XDJcrat271OjSTLIk-McrzxjKqG-J5Oxl-i5dZlzSgDVwde7k5UpDxeu5SaInvCG6j7gB3THGWveuDE=w1920-h901

Last edited:
32093385375_36d4c4e1f2_z.jpg
I'm 1300 hours into my Velocity RG build. I recently completed the joining of the fuselage halves.

We finished last weekend our RV-10's horizontal stabilizer:
IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

By the way: Does any of you have experience with Fisher Flying Products, particularly the Dakota Hawk?
I was on Barnstormers, looking for for Kitfoxes, when I stumbled across a Dakota Hawk. I thought they look cool, they are entirely made of wood and fabric and the little information I could find about them and the current owner of the company was all positive. Actually, I called the company, as I had a few questions regarding a used Dakota Hawk I might be interested in and found the guy extremely friendly and helpful. The standard kit is supposed to go together in only 700 hours, the quick build even faster.

I am wondering, why they are not more popular? Particularly the Dakota Hawk seems to be a nice plane for local flights. Putting around with it on a beautiful summer evening, with the Cub-style doors folded down must be a blast!?
6-17-2009_047.JPG

Wing construction:
DHawk1.jpg

Fisher Flying Products website: http://fisherflying.com/

I'm in the still deciding on what to built phase. But leaning towards a ch750 stol.

Any similar design suggestions (back county type) would be appreciated.

After unsuccessfully searching for a nicely built Kitfox, my wife and I decided to order a Zenith CH750 Cruzer kit with the STOL gear. The Cruzer is quite a bit faster than the STOL, but still needs only around 300 ft. for take off and landing. The rugged STOL gear and possibly a set of vortex generators, should give us the best of both worlds.

We figured that now is a good time to put the RV-10 on hold and to build something else first, as we are almost done with the elevators and expect relatively fast progress with the tailcone. The Zenith kit will arrive mid May, by then we should have completed the RV-10 empennage kit.
We also looked at a new Kitfox, the RANS S-20, as well as the new all metal S-21, which however hasn’t flown yet.

Even though we weren’t too excited about the looks of the Zenith, we opted for it for practical reasons and the overall pretty unique and attractive package:
  • Spacious cockpit
  • Great visibility
  • Rugged trike gear
  • Center stick
  • Price
  • Build time (a friend of ours finished all the metal work on his in 7 – 8 month, alone, while working full time)
  • Proven design
  • Biggest selection of engine options
  • All metal
With a decent paint scheme it actually looks pretty cool:
Zenith_CH750Cruzer_ss_HighRez_-4671.jpg

stolch750_03.jpg

Tenn-AIR-STOL-CH750-LSA.jpg

I'm still deciding, but the ch750 and the kitfox are in the lead.

I like the ch750 because of the all metal build, but the kitfox has a higher useful load and can hold 150 lbs in the cargo area vs 75 for the 750.

I'm a big guy, and the main mission will be off airport camping which means quite a bit of gear.

Not so good, back pain can really kill your enthusiasm for anything, and there's no way to fly your plane at the quarter or the half way mark.... it has to be all the way to 95% complete. So looks like I won't be flying for a long time to come except in my dreams.

This hobby is starting to really suck! :-/

air-war.org

9's are nice but you're giving up Aerobatics due to the lower g's. From (lousy) memory something like +4g where the others are +6g. ;)

Have ever pulled 4 to 6 Gs? I did +6 several times in a row in an L-39. Was greatful to get out of that plane....
4 is plenty unless you're awfully serious about aerobatics.

IMG_0104.JPG Fabricating the lower boot cowl on a Backcountry Rev 2 has it's challenges. No attachment tabs, nothing to glue fabric to..... it's almost complete. Fabric on the fuselage is coming soon.

After unsuccessfully searching for a nicely built Kitfox, my wife and I decided to order a Zenith CH750 Cruzer kit with the STOL gear. The Cruzer is quite a bit faster than the STOL, but still needs only around 300 ft. for take off and landing. The rugged STOL gear and possibly a set of vortex generators, should give us the best of both worlds.

We figured that now is a good time to put the RV-10 on hold and to build something else first, as we are almost done with the elevators and expect relatively fast progress with the tailcone. The Zenith kit will arrive mid May, by then we should have completed the RV-10 empennage kit.
We also looked at a new Kitfox, the RANS S-20, as well as the new all metal S-21, which however hasn’t flown yet.

Even though we weren’t too excited about the looks of the Zenith, we opted for it for practical reasons and the overall pretty unique and attractive package:
  • Spacious cockpit
  • Great visibility
  • Rugged trike gear
  • Center stick
  • Price
  • Build time (a friend of ours finished all the metal work on his in 7 – 8 month, alone, while working full time)
  • Proven design
  • Biggest selection of engine options
  • All metal
With a decent paint scheme it actually looks pretty cool:
View attachment 51907

View attachment 51908

View attachment 51909

What engine are you going to use? I built one for a friend and put the UL 350. Really nice engine. Smooth and lots of power.

Another new RV 9A flew yesterday. Fun to watch his second build. Good craftsman.

CGS Hawk SSC, basket case.
I have the engine, instruments, and the fuselage. I just need to get the wings (they burned up in a garage fire). Unfortunately the original builder was something of a butcher, and I am rebuilding almost the entire thing. It works out okay since he did not leave a build log of any kind - or register the aircraft (he appears to have flown it as a very heavy Ultralight).

I spoke with the FAA, and they said "No way". Then I explained that the aircraft had never been registered and did not have a data plate and they gave me the green light to rebuild and register as long as I keep a good build log.

I've gone through all the paperwork (which did not take long), and have made a pretty detailed record of the discrepancies, which are almost all misdrilled or overlapping fastener holes.

E737264F-BEE4-4F02-823C-1BA2172419C2.jpeg B899915E-8BB1-4C71-B687-B124F9F57252.jpeg My Cub is beginning to look like an airplane!

Last edited:
Back