So, homebuilders...who are we and where do we stand?

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by Sam D, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    My last Cub used Ceconite and dope with Imron color trim. I wanted the Ceconite with Ranthane on the new one but the time-proven green Dacproofer is impossible to get in Alaska now so I switched to Stits with Aerothane. I thought about Superflight VII but nobody I know has any Alaska experience with it. Stewarts System is gaining popularity but nobody knows how it'll hold up over time so I stayed with what I know works.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. korben88

korben88 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Troy
    @yakdriver

I realize the rv9 isn't a backcountry steed, but it would fulfil a mission. I initially wanted to build one, but decided that it was much easier to rent for the "visit the family" mission than it is to rent something that I can land next to a river and go fish.

I'll likely take you up that offer to come up. I haven't been to Twin since college. Just let me know what a good weekend would be.

3. Craig

Craig Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Craig
    Korben: It's worth the time and the money to go take the SportAir workshop on fabric if you decide to go with a tube and rag airplane. It won't cover every type of covering issue or style, but it's enough of the basics to get you going.

korben88 likes this.
  4. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Quite honestly, my first thought when I read this was "I want some of what he is smoking." :)

But, I see you have a kit with pre-molded big bits which can significantly reduce the fill / sand / fill / sand /fill /sand... cycle.
    [​IMG]

But even so, congratulations on finishing a really big job. Very few (including myself) have the persistence to actually finish a complete aircraft (I sold a partly done Skybolt kit years ago and ended up buying an already flying E-AB).

I think a lot comes down to what you enjoy working with the most. I've worked on all aluminum (T-18) homebuilts and my rag and tube ride (Merlin GT) - each has it's advantages, each takes a whole lot of time, and in the end, each gets the job done. But having worked on an extensive restoration of a fiberglass boat, just the idea of a composite aircraft makes me itch. Really.

5. Anymouse

Anymouse Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    Thanks!!

After I finished the Tango, I swore I would never build another plane. A few years later I got the itch again. I'm currently, kinda, sorta, working on a plans built wood plane. I might have to start working on it again next year. If I get this one done, I might consider doing an aluminum plane. Maybe an RV or something. Just to keep me busy.

BTW... That's the Foxtrot kit. But the Tango pretty much comes the same way.

6. Bill Watson

Bill Watson Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleDriver
    RV-10 builder/flyer here. After glider racing and driving a tailwheel Maule around I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted but it didn't exist at the time. While doing due diligence on RV-7, the RV-10 came on the scene and there it was; a fast homebuilt cruiser for 2 and all the stuff we ever want to carry. And most important, something we could afford to fly in retirement.

Five years to build and five years flying (800 hours), it exceeded all of our expectations. But I only have one build in me. Now it's all about maintenance and IFR proficiency

Sam D likes this.
  7. OkieAviator

OkieAviator Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    OkieAviator
    Only a year and a half into my build but I have a strong feeling this won't be my last.

8. tsts4

tsts4 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    Hang in there. It took me 8 years to get from first kit to first flight--a year and a half later and 140 hrs and it's still not complete.

9. Hiperbiper

Hiperbiper Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Chris Carlson
    Hey Mouse;
    Did you ever finish the Mitchell B-10?

While I have the Hiperbipe myself I am privileged to work on and do the CI's on an RV6, RV9, RV10, helping on an RV-14 build. In the non RV camp I work an Velocity XLRG and a Glasair II. Whew!
    Just to keep myself reminded of WHY I like the Experimental's I'm rebuilding a 1946 Aeronca 7AC...god I hate the FAA...

10. yakdriver

yakdriver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    yellow peril
    I'm just finishing up a certified Supercub. 27 STCs and all the paperwork to go with it. I also hate the FAA. I have the experimental Supercub I built that got bent up next in line, then I can finally work on My Nanchang CJ-6 project that is Experimental Exhibition. I figure if I have enough projects to last a few years I won't be able to die and just keep living to finish them all. Don

11. Anymouse

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    Actually, I was doing the U-2, but no. I had to put the project on hold when the pieces I needed to make were too big to ship through the APO mail system or take as checked baggage.

Now that I have a workshop in the States, I might start it up again.

12. AdamB

AdamB Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamB
    I'm just finishing up the final touches on the empennage kit of my RV-10 that I started back in March of 2016.
    Quickbuild Wings should be here in a couple of weeks. Just made my final payment to Van's today for those.

[​IMG]

13. Sam D

Sam D Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sam D
    Don -- can you talk a little more about this? I definitely fall in the inexperienced first time builder category but am also looking at the Javron Cub. I've spoken with Jay and he's offering a one week "kick start" in Brainerd which seems like a great way to get started (of course that's just the start though...)
    Thanks

14. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    Go ahead and install the empennage tips while you're at it. You'll be surprised at the amount of work needed. Also, is the top front skin on the tailcone already riveted? You'll need to de-rivet that if it is...

15. AdamB

AdamB Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    AdamB
    Yeah I'm working on the tips now.
    No the forward top skin isn't riveted.
    Clecos are on the inside.

16. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    Today's project- build insulating shrouds for the mechanical and electric fuel pumps. Both will be force-cooled by blast tubes. Build them, install them, remove them to take to the powder coater. More fun with home building.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Sam D likes this.
  17. German guy

German guy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Oliver
    Wow, you made some good progress. Your empennage also looks really nice.
    We are currently working on a RV-10 empennage kit as well, albeit at a slower pace… :rolleyes:

18. skier

skier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skier
    I've got 2 "projects" going on here. Both are just kind of dreams. Not sure that either will ever get finished.

1. Minicoupe - I built a sample 1 foot wing section over Thanksgiving. I'm slowly working on putting the files into Solidworks, courtesy of the EAA. I hope to get some ribs with pilot holes cut via waterjet or high speed routing and then reattempt building a 1 foot wing section. More details over at homebuiltairplanes: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26410

[​IMG]
    ^^^ Not sure why that link is not coming through. I tried to do it the same way I did the one that worked below. Direct link to the image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/q...jO7AzEv2pLJ8b2g9s_eYWSL5-sdhruY=w1920-h901-rw

2. My own design, the AZ-705 (rough 1/2 scale BV-141... 141/2 = 70.5). It has been flipped when compared with the original since it's being designed around a VW engine which rotate the wrong direction. Probably even less realistic than me ever finishing the Minicoupe. But's if fun to think about. More details over at homebuiltairplanes: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25641&page=3

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Sam D likes this.
  19. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Datadriver
    32093385375_36d4c4e1f2_z.jpg
    I'm 1300 hours into my Velocity RG build. I recently completed the joining of the fuselage halves.

Sam D likes this.
  20. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Great idea for a thread. This is cool.

21. German guy

Display Name:

Display name:
    Oliver
    We finished last weekend our RV-10's horizontal stabilizer:
    IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

By the way: Does any of you have experience with Fisher Flying Products, particularly the Dakota Hawk?
    I was on Barnstormers, looking for for Kitfoxes, when I stumbled across a Dakota Hawk. I thought they look cool, they are entirely made of wood and fabric and the little information I could find about them and the current owner of the company was all positive. Actually, I called the company, as I had a few questions regarding a used Dakota Hawk I might be interested in and found the guy extremely friendly and helpful. The standard kit is supposed to go together in only 700 hours, the quick build even faster.

I am wondering, why they are not more popular? Particularly the Dakota Hawk seems to be a nice plane for local flights. Putting around with it on a beautiful summer evening, with the Cub-style doors folded down must be a blast!?
    [​IMG]

Wing construction:
    [​IMG]

Fisher Flying Products website: http://fisherflying.com/

AKBill and Sam D like this.
  22. German guy

Display Name:

Display name:
    Oliver
    After unsuccessfully searching for a nicely built Kitfox, my wife and I decided to order a Zenith CH750 Cruzer kit with the STOL gear. The Cruzer is quite a bit faster than the STOL, but still needs only around 300 ft. for take off and landing. The rugged STOL gear and possibly a set of vortex generators, should give us the best of both worlds.

We figured that now is a good time to put the RV-10 on hold and to build something else first, as we are almost done with the elevators and expect relatively fast progress with the tailcone. The Zenith kit will arrive mid May, by then we should have completed the RV-10 empennage kit.
    We also looked at a new Kitfox, the RANS S-20, as well as the new all metal S-21, which however hasn’t flown yet.

Even though we weren’t too excited about the looks of the Zenith, we opted for it for practical reasons and the overall pretty unique and attractive package:
    • Spacious cockpit
    • Great visibility
    • Rugged trike gear
    • Center stick
    • Price
    • Build time (a friend of ours finished all the metal work on his in 7 – 8 month, alone, while working full time)
    • Proven design
    • Biggest selection of engine options
    • All metal
    With a decent paint scheme it actually looks pretty cool:
    Zenith_CH750Cruzer_ss_HighRez_-4671.jpg

stolch750_03.jpg

Tenn-AIR-STOL-CH750-LSA.jpg

gsengle and denverpilot like this.
  23. korben88

korben88 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Troy
    I'm still deciding, but the ch750 and the kitfox are in the lead.

I like the ch750 because of the all metal build, but the kitfox has a higher useful load and can hold 150 lbs in the cargo area vs 75 for the 750.

I'm a big guy, and the main mission will be off airport camping which means quite a bit of gear.

denverpilot likes this.
  24. choppergirl

choppergirl Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    CHOPPERGIRL
    Not so good, back pain can really kill your enthusiasm for anything, and there's no way to fly your plane at the quarter or the half way mark.... it has to be all the way to 95% complete. So looks like I won't be flying for a long time to come except in my dreams.

This hobby is starting to really suck! :-/

air-war.org

25. Russ Meyerriecks

Russ Meyerriecks Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Russ M
    Building the fuselage sides of my Cozy
    IMG_20170605_232640.jpg

Sam D likes this.
  26. EppyGA

EppyGA Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
    Working on the wings of the chapter RV-12
    20170606_161534.jpg 20170606_161453.jpg 20170606_145856.jpg 20170606_145828.jpg 20170606_141233.jpg

denverpilot likes this.
  27. tsts4

tsts4 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    After 2 years of flying, finally got my RV-10 painted last month:
    [​IMG]

28. TFulwider

TFulwider Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry
    Looks great!

tsts4 likes this.
  29. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    Paint first, assemble last for a Cub.

IMG_3578.JPG

30. AKBill

AKBill Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    AKBill
    I like the color..:)

31. Goofy

Goofy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Goofy
    That ride is gorgeous!!

32. Goofy

Goofy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Goofy
    Have ever pulled 4 to 6 Gs? I did +6 several times in a row in an L-39. Was greatful to get out of that plane....
    4 is plenty unless you're awfully serious about aerobatics.

33. Anymouse

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    Thanks!!

34. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    IMG_0104.JPG Fabricating the lower boot cowl on a Backcountry Rev 2 has it's challenges. No attachment tabs, nothing to glue fabric to..... it's almost complete. Fabric on the fuselage is coming soon.

35. yakdriver

yakdriver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    yellow peril

What engine are you going to use? I built one for a friend and put the UL 350. Really nice engine. Smooth and lots of power.

36. Goofy

Goofy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Goofy
    Another new RV 9A flew yesterday. Fun to watch his second build. Good craftsman.

denverpilot likes this.