So, homebuilders...who are we and where do we stand?

Hi, my name is Josh and I am addicted to RVs. Unfortunately I am not building one yet. Want to build a RV-10 if I can ever afford it and have helped put the wind screen in one for another local builder. I have thought about a Sling 4 instead once in a while in hopes of starting and finishing sooner. Probably won't start until I pay off my school loans, which seems to take forever.

Building a Sonex Onex. Empenage is complete, and the forward and aft Fuselage is close to being ready for mate. The project is on a temporary hold for the winter while I make my annual visit for the ski season in Steamboat Springs. I’ll probably order the wing kit in the Spring and be ready to start that assembly by the time the kit gets delivered.

Good plans and design for a single seat flying machine.

Cheers

Building a Sonex Onex. Empenage is complete, and the forward and aft Fuselage is close to being ready for mate. The project is on a temporary hold for the winter while I make my annual visit for the ski season in Steamboat Springs. I’ll probably order the wing kit in the Spring and be ready to start that assembly by the time the kit gets delivered.

Good plans and design for a single seat flying machine.

Cheers

If I ever decide to build, the Onex will be my choice. Which engine have you chosen - or have you decided?

If I ever decide to build, the Onex will be my choice. Which engine have you chosen - or have you decided?

I picked an already built Aerovee with prop, accessories, exhaust and a spare set of cylinders for a great price. I thought about aCorvair but the W&B is a problem.

Cheers

Was once building an RV-7. Project sold. Bought a flying RV-12. Currently building a Fisher Celebrity... banging out wing ribs, two at a time.

Last edited:
Installing 10 panel mounted push-pull cables. Then the G3X Touch install can proceed. Lots and lots of wires to connect. No rest for the weary.

Prop, L heat, L defrost, R heat, R defrost, Mixture, Park brake, Alt air, L oil cooler air door, R oil cooler air door.
This plane has two mufflers and no carb heat so two cabin heat circuits. It also has dual nose-mounted oil coolers with air control so I control oil temps year round. Loving the E-AB experience.

XfFrCHz8QHeHlEC+24Oo0w.jpg

I've been considering a Glasair III. I have a friend who has a kit started but needs to sell... Could be a great way to get into the kit game.

"I've been considering a Glasair III. I have a friend who has a kit started but needs to sell... Could be a great way to get into the kit game."

Casey, did you pull the trigger? If so, is composite building as expected, or frustrating?

Do you think composites are more easy to build than the aluminum frames like RVs?

I've not attempted either, but videos of the the construction process looks like the RVs are easier to build. The composites look messy, and seem to require two or more people working at a time. Also wondering, if you don't match the seem perfectly, how do you "unglue" the structure to re-work it if you make a mistake? Can that be done?

The composites look messy, and seem to require two or more people working at a time. Also wondering, if you don't match the seem perfectly, how do you "unglue" the structure to re-work it if you make a mistake? Can that be done?

I built my plane pretty much by myself. Would have been a lot easier with someone else.

Not sure what you mean by matching a seam. If you don't get it right, you can cut it and try again. Heating and peeling apart can work in come cases as well.

I built my plane pretty much by myself. Would have been a lot easier with someone else.

Not sure what you mean by matching a seam. If you don't get it right, you can cut it and try again. Heating and peeling apart can work in come cases as well.
Thanks. What I meant was if the parts you're joining don't align right, but set. Wasn't sure you could un do it. But if cutting, and/or heating to separate is fine so you can try again, that's a good answer. Saw a glasair wing build on youtube, 3 guys working together...looked like they had to choreograph their steps. Seems like that would be harder for a first-time builder as opposed to riveting on RVs.

IMG_1010_1024x683_052118.jpg IMG_1024_1024x683_052118.jpg IMG_1056_1024x683_052118.jpg

Some pics of our youth working on the BD-6 project.

The young man in the top picture became a Private Pilot on his 17th Birthday, March 30th and flew a Young Eagle just a few weeks later.

Thanks. What I meant was if the parts you're joining don't align right, but set. Wasn't sure you could un do it. But if cutting, and/or heating to separate is fine so you can try again, that's a good answer. Saw a glasair wing build on youtube, 3 guys working together...looked like they had to choreograph their steps. Seems like that would be harder for a first-time builder as opposed to riveting on RVs.

I guess that I just don't understand what you're asking.

For things like the wings, they are made of foam blocks. The epoxy has enough time before it sets that you can get the foam positioned. The same is true for fiberglass parts as well. The only part of my build where more than one person was very helpful was applying Jeffco to the fuel tanks. It kicked off FAST and if you tried to mix too much at once the exotherm was impressive.
2008-06-24-1627-IMG_7179.jpg

So it helps to have a helper mixing small batches while you apply it.

The only part of my build where more than one person was very helpful was applying Jeffco to the fuel tanks. It kicked off FAST and if you tried to mix too much at once the exotherm was impressive.

So it helps to have a helper mixing small batches while you apply it.

So yesterday I Jeffco'd my first strake in 100 degree temps here in South Texas. Pot life was 15 minutes max. Closed out this morning in mid-70s -- more like an hour pot life. Ditto the need for help.

So yesterday I Jeffco'd my first strake in 100 degree temps here in South Texas. Pot life was 15 minutes max. Closed out this morning in mid-70s -- more like an hour pot life. Ditto the need for help.

A neat trick is to cool one part of the Jeffco. Stick it in the fridge. That can extend the pot life a bit.

A neat trick is to cool one part of the Jeffco. Stick it in the fridge. That can extend the pot life a bit.

My wife was helping and stuck her mask in the hangar fridge for a few minutes. Didn't think to do that with the Jeffco:rollercoaster:

Vans RV-7A first flight January 27, 2017. Now has over 150 hours. Full Dynon VFR panel with redundant AD-AHRS, GPS and SV1000T screens, A/P, etc. Mid-time O360-A4M out of a 2002 Archer with Airflow Performance FI, Vetterman exhaust, one P-Mag, Sam James cowl and plenum and Cattor 3 blade NLE prop.

Cruises at 155 KTAS on 7-7.5 GPH at 8500-9500 MSL.

KQvxJ7Oh.jpg

Do you think composites are more easy to build than the aluminum frames like RVs?

I've not attempted either, but videos of the the construction process looks like the RVs are easier to build. The composites look messy, and seem to require two or more people working at a time. Also wondering, if you don't match the seem perfectly, how do you "unglue" the structure to re-work it if you make a mistake? Can that be done?

I have only built a few composite pieces, but I wouldn't call the process harder, just different. With the traditional Rutan type construction you basically carve airplane pieces out of foam and then cover them with the appropriate fiberglass layups. The construction of a Long EZ starts out with simple processes to give you experience and builds up to the more intricate layups at the end. There's a practice kit available that will give you a feel for what it's like to work with the materials.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/practicekit.php

Just sent in my deposit today for a new Arion Lightning XS. I will probably use a Titan IO-340 on it, but many engine choices are available. This is a composite airplane that should do over 180 mph with over 1800 f/s climb on the 340. I chose this after hard consideration of many factors, one of which is build time. I think this airplane will go together so fast I'm a little embarrassed to call it "homebuilt". They advertise 700 hours, but looking at the kit and instructions, I think that number is actually easily achievable. Finished cost will be similar to an RV-7 or 9 quickbuild.

I started building an RV6A in 2000, life got in the way and I sold he project somewhere around 2002. Must have been sold at least once after that but, after some digging, saw that it finally flew late last year... oddly exciting...

SDeMeyer2_lg.jpg

Just sent in my deposit today for a new Arion Lightning XS. I will probably use a Titan IO-340 on it, but many engine choices are available. This is a composite airplane that should do over 180 mph with over 1800 f/s climb on the 340. I chose this after hard consideration of many factors, one of which is build time. I think this airplane will go together so fast I'm a little embarrassed to call it "homebuilt". They advertise 700 hours, but looking at the kit and instructions, I think that number is actually easily achievable. Finished cost will be similar to an RV-7 or 9 quickbuild.

A word of warning. That 90% done and 90% to go thing is real!

Getting the big pieces together is the easy part. It's all the nitty gritty detail stuff that takes the longest.

I watched all those videos once I got to the RV-10 Doors/Cabin top. I've spent a lot of time with fiberglass but I'm happy to say I am now complete with the structure of the project. Now onto Avionics!

Oh, to be finished with fiberglass. I was up until 1:00 last night filling pinholes in wheelpants and other fairings. I'll probably do the same tonight, then have to repeat the process on the cowling. At some point, I need to reinstall the doors. I've fit them, but have not completed the fill/sand on their exterior surface. That'll be easier on the airplane. I think.

A word of warning. That 90% done and 90% to go thing is real!

Getting the big pieces together is the easy part. It's all the nitty gritty detail stuff that takes the longest.

Yes. And deviate from the plans at all, and you can add quite a bit of extra time to the build. I know Van's build time estimates are quite optimistic...more reflective of a bare-bones VFR build with a really simple panel.

Yeah. I hear the warning: I know of one RV-8a completion after nearly 2 decades, and one RV-9a at "90 %" after 4000 hours. This will be my first build and I have no valid reason to think I would be a faster buider than anyone else. So, I suspect I may be a little optimistic about the Arion Lighning completion time. But looking at the instructions and build manual, it will clearly be less time consuming than many other kits. Also, the company offers a very flexible build assist program that is, for me, a viable safety net. You can go to the build assist facility and complete the airplane with 3-4 weeks of your time (yes, extra cost of $4000/week, but I think that is pretty reasonable if you need and can afford it). With a week or two off for paint, you end up with the A/W certificate after 4-6 weeks. Also, you can do part or all of the assist, as desired. I am intending to do about a week, which will get most of the more critical assemblies done, and then ship home to complete. I am thinking this will accelerate the project a little, but still leave me with the feeling that I did a lot. They also offer very competitive panel assistance. If I get stalled on the project, I can always go back to get it finished more quickly, but that is not the current plan. I looked up a few current owners on the federal registry and reached out to a few. It seems that the factory assistance works well for those who did it. I guess I'll find out soon for myself.

Just looked up Arion Lightning, that’s a sharp airplane.

Yes, it is... looks a lot like a Lancair but not as fast. Vne is 180 knots, which is about 10 knots slower than my cruise speed goal in my RV-7A - after some HP and aerodynamic work.

I visited them in Shelbyville many years ago. Very nice group of people and an amazing product

Yes, it is... looks a lot like a Lancair but not as fast. Vne is 180 knots, which is about 10 knots slower than my cruise speed goal in my RV-7A - after some HP and aerodynamic work.
Am I reading that right? You're planning to go from 155 kts to 190 kts with your HP and aerodynamic work? That's some improvement! What are your plans?

Very excited to get this project started it has been a long time coming. Spend a year with a friend working on his 7 but he unfortunately had ‘major hiccup’ when a storm took the roof of his shop and most of the project with it!

Back