So, homebuilders...who are we and where do we stand?

Sam D

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Sam D
I really enjoy reading the student pilot progress in that long running thread. It would be great to hear from the homebuilders. I know there's at least one SuperCub-type plane and a few RV's in process by members here...

Real RV builders only discuss their builds at VAF.

Note: I'm not a builder, just a very happy owner

<----- Not necessarily "in process," but my Tango has been flying for over 11 years now.
I've got a lot of respect with home builders who work with composites. Granted, I'm intimidated by the thought of applying fabric to a pre-welded fuselage!

View attachment 50039

In the midst of building a Hatz Classic. Wings are done, at this point with the fuselage. Lotsa welding!

Previously built and still fly an RV 6A. In comparing the two projects, I like to say that I assembled the RV, but I'm *building* the Hatz.

Nice! Are you going to put a rotary engine on it? Also, got any full pictures of your rotisserie (or is the front just like the one in the back)? I like that set-up.

Nice! Are you going to put a rotary engine on it? Also, got any full pictures of your rotisserie (or is the front just like the one in the back)? I like that set-up.

Here's a couple shots of the rotisserie. It's nothing special. I use an adjustable deadhead to support it at different rotations.

I couldn't resist putting a radial in this airplane, so I'm going with a Rotec R3600

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Building a seriously cool Back Country Supercub Rev 2. I'm a little behind on updating my website. The behind-the-panel shelf is built and all the remote boxes for the G3X Touch are mounted. I'm having my local instrument shop do the wiring. Working on alternate air for my custom airbox. I'm at that point where progress is happening but it doesn't show. Lots of details. First flight scheduled for the beginning of April.

www.wildcatcub.com

Building a seriously cool Back Country Supercub Rev 2. I'm a little behind on updating my website. The behind-the-panel shelf is built and all the remote boxes for the G3X Touch are mounted. I'm having my local instrument shop do the wiring. Working on alternate air for my custom airbox. I'm at that point where progress is happening but it doesn't show. Lots of details. First flight scheduled for the beginning of April.

www.wildcatcub.com

I've been watching your build for a while. Thanks for posting the info. I think I have Bill Rusk's thread just about memorized!

In the you are never 100% done with a build category....So almost 5 months ago my prop gov self destructed and shelled the engine on my RV-10, Finally got it back from my engine shop (BPE) this past Wed and got it mounted today:

31792156316_c092da5b59_z.jpg
31829655305_669ac5f8de_z.jpg

Now just a few things to tidy up (fuel and oil lines, throttle body, air box, exhaust, primary alternator, starter, sensors, p-leads, electrical wiring, control cables, ring gear, prop, prop governor, and baffles) and we're back in business.

It was supposed to be on the in the paint shop right now getting finishing touches on it's paint job, but I had to give up my slot. Luckily I was able to swap with the guy behind me so I'll get it painted in March.

Me? I fly the RV-6 I finished about 16 years ago. Also, I have most of the wing ribs and center section parts for the Hatz Classic project I started about 15 years ago.

Right now, I figure I'm 6 months from completion of the RV-10 that's in pieces all over my basement, garage, and hangar. Since I think it'll take 6 months, reality is probably 9. And now, off to the basement to sand some fiberglass...

<----- Not necessarily "in process," but my Tango has been flying for over 11 years now.

I've got a lot of respect with home builders who work with composites. Granted, I'm intimidated by the thought of applying fabric to a pre-welded fuselage!

Composites are remarkably easy to work with and very forgiving of mistakes.

Here's a better picture. Not sure when it was taken. I downloaded this off the internet several years ago.

DSC_4825.JPG

Fabric is easy.

But, having said that, I done bought an already been flying Merlin GT.

IMG_8498.JPG IMG_8603.JPG Fabric is labor intensive and time consuming!

Cover it, shrink it, coat it, stitch it, tape it, coat it, coat it, coat it, sand it, coat it, sand it, paint it....

View attachment 50039

In the midst of building a Hatz Classic. Wings are done, at this point with the fuselage. Lotsa welding!

Previously built and still fly an RV 6A. In comparing the two projects, I like to say that I assembled the RV, but I'm *building* the Hatz.

We had a Hatz just finished this fall at our airport. They are beautiful looking airplanes!

Received the airworthiness certificate for my Velocity XL-RG in July 2015. Finished Phase I (25 hours) in September of that year. Currently prepping for paint and interior.

Real RV builders only discuss their builds at VAF.

Every kit seems to have their own forum somewhere. Even though I'm building an RV-10 I really like to read/watch other builds. Spent 3 hours yesterday watching a guy install windows into a Glastar. Then I spent another 4 hours working on my electrical schematic.... interesting how much time you spend on no building activities while you're building.

Here's the current status of my super slow build RV-8:

https://flic.kr/p/Phpuf2

So, does anyone know how to make flikr give you a dumb URL for imbedding photos, like the old way?

Yeah. Bring up your photos in "Camera Roll". Click on the desired photo and once it appears right click on it and select "copy image address". You can then use that URL with bbcode to display the pic in a post.

Yeah. Bring up your photos in "Camera Roll". Click on the desired photo and once it appears right click on it and select "copy image address". You can then use that URL with bbcode to display the pic in a post.

I'm trying to do it from my iPhone. The only link it'll let me copy is the smart URL. https://flic.kr/p/Phpuf2.
Phpuf2

Aha, found it!

image by Ken Wilkerson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Finished building my Zenith CH 601 in September. Completed phase 1 in November. Have 56 hours total on her now. She has the Lycoming O-235 and cruises @ 125 mph.

This process has really made me wonder why the hell I spent 25 years flying antiquated certificate planes with all of the associated costs.

Yes, I too lived with the irrational fear of "home built" aircraft. In retrospect that fear had no basis in fact.

I could have had so many more adventures, and so many more flying experience if I had gone experimental years ago. (Because of the lower costs of ownership and MX).
And I could have flown much better equipped aircraft.

I'm glad I figured it out before my flying days are over!

Gary

I'm in the still deciding on what to built phase. But leaning towards a ch750 stol.

Any similar design suggestions (back county type) would be appreciated.

I'm in the still deciding on what to built phase. But leaning towards a ch750 stol.

Depending on the number of seats you need, I'd look at the various versions of the Bearhawk (2 and 4 seat versions available) or the Just Highlander (2 seats).

I'm working on an RV7 tail. Did my first priming session two days ago and it came out decently.

Another option to the 701/750 is the new Rans S21. If it is everything promised, maybe I'll switch to that instead. They are still working on the prototype. High wing, all metal, good cruise, aerobatic, what's not to like?

Best utility airplane, best kit, best resale value.... Carbon Cub.

Having built the majority of a 750 and doing the test flights I'm not a big fan. I am an experienced builder and I don't like the way several things are designed. There are lots of better choices for a backcountry airplane. The Rans S-20 looks great and the Rans kits are first class. The Kitfox 7 is another great airplane and again the kits are among the best in the market. The Bearhawk kits are also high Quality and great airplanes.The Carbon Cub is one of the best kits on the market but also one of the most expensive. The Backcountry and Javron Cubs are fantastic airplanes but would be tough for an inexperienced first time builder without a lot of help from someone who knows aircraft construction. Cost wise you are looking at $65,000 for the 750 and maybe a Rans S-7 to $165,000 for the Carbon Cub kit. Lots to choose from. Don

Having built the majority of a 750 and doing the test flights I'm not a big fan. I am an experienced builder and I don't like the way several things are designed. There are lots of better choices for a backcountry airplane. The Rans S-20 looks great and the Rans kits are first class. The Kitfox 7 is another great airplane and again the kits are among the best in the market. The Bearhawk kits are also high Quality and great airplanes.The Carbon Cub is one of the best kits on the market but also one of the most expensive. The Backcountry and Javron Cubs are fantastic airplanes but would be tough for an inexperienced first time builder without a lot of help from someone who knows aircraft construction. Cost wise you are looking at $65,000 for the 750 and maybe a Rans S-7 to $165,000 for the Carbon Cub kit. Lots to choose from. Don
I looked at the the bearhawk and the rans, and TBH the fabric covering kind of intimidates me. I was leaning towards the 70 because of the sheet aluminum skin. This would be my first build, but I have plenty of sheet metal experience.

What about the 750 put you off?

The 750 has a lot of ultralight design in it. The biggest thing I don't like is the aileron/elevator control system and the fuel system. Too long a discussion for here. Fabric is not that difficult and with a little care will come out great. The Bearhawk and Rans S-20 have metal wings so you just need to do the fuselage and tail surfaces. I'll be doing the fabric on a Supercub starting late next month and you are welcome to come up and I can run you through the process. Your EAA chapter down there probably has a good fabric guy or two. The RV9 is a godd airplane but in no way a backcountry mount. The Vans kits are excellent I have built a 7 and done a lot of work on all the other models. I would build a 7 over the 9 as it is faster. We have trasitioned two sub 100 hour pilots one in his 8A he built and another in a 6A without any problems. A kid on the field here did his entire PPL in a 6 tailwheel this year. Don

The RV 9a is another I'm considering.

9's are nice but you're giving up Aerobatics due to the lower g's. From (lousy) memory something like +4g where the others are +6g.

For roomy cruise and Aerobatics the RV-14 seems to be best mix right now.

The 6 and 7's have similar 'fit'. I'm 6-0 and very skinny. Fits me well and I'm as comfortable in it for 3 hours as I am in a Cardinal. If my passenger has more 'space requirements' it can feel like a C152. A very very fast C152 ;)

Using Airtech. I'm just finishing one that I did in Stits. Way too much work compared to Airtech. Don

Oratex seems like a great option as well for covering if you don't need a show winning finnish.

Im excited for this new Rans S21. Time to head to the basement for some deburring fun.

A friend covered his Carbon Cub with Oratex. He is doing another Carbon Cub and going with Airtech. The Oratex was OK but not near as good as a good fabric job. He keeps the one in Oratex at his place in Alaska and it will sag a bit in cold temps. You do have to have a cub in Alaska, one in Idaho, a Husky and a Beaver. Don

A friend covered his Carbon Cub with Oratex. He is doing another Carbon Cub and going with Airtech. The Oratex was OK but not near as good as a good fabric job. He keeps the one in Oratex at his place in Alaska and it will sag a bit in cold temps. You do have to have a cub in Alaska, one in Idaho, a Husky and a Beaver. Don

Don, whether in this thread, by PM, or in another thread, will you please go through the differences in installing Polyfiber vs Airtech. My sense is that Polyfiber/polytone is an "old reliable, idiot proof" system, but is labor intensive. I know Airtech has fewer steps, but is it as idiot proof as Polyfiber?

Thanks...

Don, whether in this thread, by PM, or in another thread, will you please go through the differences in installing Polyfiber vs Airtech. My sense is that Polyfiber/polytone is an "old reliable, idiot proof" system, but is labor intensive. I know Airtech has fewer steps, but is it as idiot proof as Polyfiber?

Thanks...
X2.

Back