Snowflakes in Tennessee!

FORANE

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FORANE
Snowflakes in Tennessee. ..
On the approach plate that is, to my home field 0A9.
I know the look out below stuff but what else do I need to know about cold temperature altitude correction? no deice so I likely won't be in IMC at these temps.

I know the intent of this thread is political ;-)

Just because other threads are destined for a lock doesn't mean this one has to.
Seriously there's a snowflake on my approach plate.

giphy.gif

Snowflakes in Tennessee. ..
On the approach plate that is, to my home field 0A9.
I know the look out below stuff but what else do I need to know about cold temperature altitude correction? no deice so I likely won't be in IMC at these temps.
The cold temp corrections table is near the front of the approach plate book. Read it, apply it.

*sigh* again the "new messages" alert was fading in just as I hit the "post" button.

AIM 5-1-17.
Cold Temperature Operations Pilots should begin planning for operating into airports with cold temperatures during the preflight planning phase. Instrument approach charts will contain a snowflake symbol and a temperature when cold temperature correction must be applied. Pilots operating into airports requiring cold temperature corrections should request the lowest forecast temperature at the airport for departure and arrival times. If the temperature is forecast to be at or below any published cold temperature restriction, calculate an altitude correction for the appropriate segment(s) and/or review procedures for operating automatic cold temperature compensating systems, as applicable. The pilot is responsible to calculate and apply the corrections to the affected segment(s) when the actual reported temperature is at or below any published cold temperature restriction, or pilots with automatic cold temperature compensating systems must ensure the system is on and operating on each designated segment. Advise ATC when intending to apply cold temperature correction and of the amount of correction required on initial contact (or as soon as possible) for the intermediate segment and/or the published missed approach. This information is required for ATC to provide aircraft appropriate vertical separation between known traffic.

Got some flakes here in NM but winter is coming and they will leave pretty quickly.......

More information than you'll ever want to know is available in the published NOTAM, obtained at https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/

When the NTAP is updated, the link changes, but this is the current link to the "Cold Temperature Restricted Airports" section:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ntap/part4_GEN18001.html

Includes a list of which airports get snowflakes, and which segment of the approach it applies to.

Here is a blog post I wrote about the temperature correction issue. Note - it was written BEFORE the snowflake icon existed. However, the example at BTV was one of the reasons the snowflake icon was developed.

http://cfiruss.blogspot.com/2014/02/its-cold-are-you-too-low.html

Back