Should I get Jepp Charts to Prepare for Airlines?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
On the fence right now if I should order the Jepp chart package for ForeFlight just to give me the exposure and experience if that's the expectation at the regionals. I get along just fine with the FAA charts, but it wondering if it's worth the price just to get the practice in. $200 is a lot for someone with no money, but maybe it's worth it? :confused:

Thanks

You will have so many things to learn about airline procedures, special rules, checklist/flow memorization, crew resource management, etc...etc. I suspect switching to Jepp charts will be a relative piece of cake.

Jepp charts are great, but for the stage you're at now, you're fine with FAA. Like the other guys said, it's easy to switch later on.

In fact, with the Jepp and Foreflight joining up, there's not even a good reason not to at least TRY Jepp charts. I've been a Jepp user from the old paper days but I switched to the electronic version (such that it was) when I got the ChartView in the MX20.

I would familiarize yourself with them for sure. Some airlines *may* quiz you on some things on Jepps during an interview.

I wouldn’t invest in them yet but definitely study up on them via YouTube or some other free source. Most regional interviews will ask questions from jepp charts.

The SIDS and STARS with reference to the Jepp charts are what you will likely encounter in an interview.

Beats the price that the old paper subscriptions used to run. $100 is chicken feed when it comes to training for an airline career.
Definitely :)

But it does pay for a lot of Ramen.

On the fence right now if I should order the Jepp chart package for ForeFlight just to give me the exposure and experience if that's the expectation at the regionals. I get along just fine with the FAA charts, but it wondering if it's worth the price just to get the practice in. $200 is a lot for someone with no money, but maybe it's worth it? :confused:

Thanks

How far out are you from applying? A month or maybe two away should be plenty of time to get familiar with how Jepp draws the pictures

Jepp charts deliver information better than government charts, with the exception of explaining an offset degree on a straight in approach. No need to go to some other chart to translate angle to FPM.

Anyone with any comprehension skills at all can sit down and figure the differences between gov charts and jepp. It’s really not difficult.

If you really want to warp your mind, compare jepp to lido charts. Or better yet, fly using jepp charts with a Thales FMS that uses a lido database.

BTDT.

Jepp charts deliver information better than government charts, with the exception of explaining an offset degree on a straight in approach. No need to go to some other chart to translate angle to FPM.

Can you give an example Approach

Can you give an example Approach

Any approach. If you have a straight in, Jepp will give you the FPM in each of the 4 categories. The government ones don't. They just give you an angle and you have to look it up or have it memorized.

Any approach. If you have a straight in, Jepp will give you the FPM in each of the 4 categories. The government ones don't. They just give you an angle and you have to look it up or have it memorized.

Oh. “offset degree” confused me

Oh. “offset degree” confused me

Oh, look at the RNAV Z or Y 30 KSQL or of the RNAV Y or Z 3 at KSMO. Those approaches offset to the runway. The government charts publish the offset degree clearly. Jepp doesn't.

It takes like 5 minutes to get acquainted with jepp. The Jeppesen website has tutorials if you want to familiarize yourself before an interview. FWIW, when I interviewed at my regional, they gave me the option of Jepp or government to use for my briefing.

I started my life as an instrument pilot on Jeppesen and then used DoD FLIP charts while in the Army, then back to FAA and Jeppesen for commercial flying in the Gulf.

I've obviously used them all, as well as some foreign countries' charts.

Read the chart instructions/descriptions and the marginal data and you will soon realize they are all based on the same stuff.

That said, I probably like the looks of the Jepp charts better, but I like to scribble on the charts to make notes, so the FAA printed products are plenty good.

Oh, look at the RNAV Z or Y 30 KSQL or of the RNAV Y or Z 3 at KSMO. Those approaches offset to the runway. The government charts publish the offset degree clearly. Jepp doesn't.

Gotcha. Jepp has it in the Notes box. Gov in the Planview.

Gotcha. Jepp has it in the Notes box. Gov in the Planview.

They all contain the same info, it is just about accessibility. Easier to read offset angle on FliteCharts, but much easier to calculate descent rate on Jepp

You'll get time to get familiar with them with whoever you end up at and theres a lot of jepp material to study for an interview.

If I had the money I'd pay for jepps just cause I like them much better than the Gov stuff.

Thanks
The airlines generally use them, but it's not a big deal using them. It's the same information, but there is no great advantage in using Jeppesen charts over the NACO charts, especially if you're short of funds.

Back