Shooting at FLL

Does anyone know if these people just panicked and ran out onto the runway on their own or were they sent there by TSA or airport police?

fort_lauderdale_airport_shooting.jpg

Watched on CNN and it didn't look like the airport had a plan for evacuation. Seemed like rampers were trying to keep them under control but that's not their job. The airport manager should be held accountable for not having a plan established. Police and Sheriff were doing their duty by clearing the terminal, parking decks, and such. They can't do everything.

Watched on CNN and it didn't look like the airport had a plan for evacuation. Seemed like rampers were trying to keep them under control but that's not their job. The airport manager should be held accountable for not having a plan established. Police and Sheriff were doing their duty by clearing the terminal, parking decks, and such. They can't do everything.

I agree 100% ! What a goat-rope ! I saw people walking on the runway ! WTF ? Imagine if it had been raining or a T-storm or if it had happened somewhere like Buffalo with an OAT of -5 what then ? I've seen dumbass douchebags traveling from Florida to Detroit wearing shorts and flip flops in the middle of winter. What's they're plan if they have to un-ass the aircraft ???????

Folks, let's stop any religious discussion.

Why can't the idiots of the world just off themselves in their own bathroom and leave the rest of us alone?

Then there is Santa's naughty or nice list to make kids behave. Same concept. Santa doesn't exist either.

Why? He makes a point. I am not liking your intolerant attitude toward religion.

As Mari said, we don't want that sort of back-and-forth argument. Discussions relating to religion and politics are barred from PoA, as is stated in the RoC. It is not a matter of an intolerant attitude towards religion.

We've had to go through and delete several posts (and also send out warnings to posters) for posts on this thread related to the above. Political and religious posts are barred specifically for the reason we had to delete threads and issue warnings. The purpose of these rules is to keep PoA civil.

I wouldn't expect to see major changes. There will be more visible airport police outside the secured area at big airports for a while, and then back to normal. This isn't the first time and won't be the last time for this sort of thing. Not anything you can do except move the perimeter out, which makes it less manageable and then just creates a bottleneck further out...

Question for those who know more about handgun laws than I....

If you possess the proper carry permit, are you allowed to have your handgun with you in the "landside" areas of the airport terminal such as baggage claims and ticketing areas?
Perfectly fine in Texas.

Kind of hard to put this feeling into words but I think it comes from a sort of helplessness in the world. A lack of significance, a lack of purpose, and a lack of efficacy in a person can take them somewhere really dark.

Is there anyone who doesn't know that feeling at all? Most of us find something at some point to take us out of it- religion, a hobby, a spouse, it's different for everyone but suppose a person didn't find this for year after year. Now all it takes is someone or something to blame.... and lord knows we've got no shortage of groups blaming other groups for all the ills in the world right now.

So then this person assigns himself a mission- a purpose to strike back at what he feels hurt him. A small number of these people manage to find the internal courage to go through with it and have their moment. Like it or not our society makes them more significant in those moments while they're an active shooter than they've been in their entire life. Even if you censor their name/photo from the news... which is nearly impossible it won't matter. He got his moment of power.

I don't think this is a new phenomenon. You can find examples of people melting down and committing mass murder throughout history. It does seem to be more frequent these days. I think it is because of our outlets- the things we find that give our life meaning are getting harder to come by.

Our society traps people by giving them nowhere to go. At least nowhere anyone would want to go. Religion may work for some but not all. Some folks find fulfilling lasting relationships, some kind find rewarding careers, some find close knit groups of friends... but all those things seem to be in short supply these days. IDK what the answer is but I feel like it could start with making our education and employment systems a little less... formulaic.

I don't think this is a new phenomenon. You can find examples of people melting down and committing mass murder throughout history. It does seem to be more frequent these days. I think it is because of our outlets- the things we find that give our life meaning are getting harder to come by.

I agree that it's nothing new, but I suspect that we hear about it a lot more thanks to the internet. 100 years ago do you think anyone would know about a shooting in Fort Lauderdale if they lived in Kansas? We'd be too busy tending to our corn and cows.

One man's "Green Acres" is another's "Heaven".

We like it here. Art, apparently, does not. But my mom is happy in New York, and for the life of me I don't know why. I spent 20 years there, I served my time.

I agree that it's nothing new, but I suspect that we hear about it a lot more thanks to the internet. 100 years ago do you think anyone would know about a shooting in Fort Lauderdale if they lived in Kansas? We'd be too busy tending to our corn and cows.

I got curious about that. 1917 brought US entry into WW I as well as the beginning of the flu pandemic. Kind of big things.

Here is a copy of the front page of the Jan 6, 1917 Topeka State Journal:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn82016014/1917-01-06/ed-1/seq-1/#

We like it here. Art, apparently, does not. But my mom is happy in New York, and for the life of me I don't know why. I spent 20 years there, I served my time.
For a couple years, I lived out in the middle of "Hell on Earth", a little south of Boles Acres, NM., but, I loved it.

Reactions: Ted
Kind of hard to put this feeling into words but I think it comes from a sort of helplessness in the world. A lack of significance, a lack of purpose, and a lack of efficacy in a person can take them somewhere really dark.

Is there anyone who doesn't know that feeling at all? Most of us find something at some point to take us out of it- religion, a hobby, a spouse, it's different for everyone but suppose a person didn't find this for year after year. Now all it takes is someone or something to blame.... and lord knows we've got no shortage of groups blaming other groups for all the ills in the world right now.

So then this person assigns himself a mission- a purpose to strike back at what he feels hurt him. A small number of these people manage to find the internal courage to go through with it and have their moment. Like it or not our society makes them more significant in those moments while they're an active shooter than they've been in their entire life. Even if you censor their name/photo from the news... which is nearly impossible it won't matter. He got his moment of power.

Our society traps people by giving them nowhere to go. At least nowhere anyone would want to go. Religion may work for some but not all. Some folks find fulfilling lasting relationships, some kind find rewarding careers, some find close knit groups of friends... but all those things seem to be in short supply these days. IDK what the answer is but I feel like it could start with making our education and employment systems a little less... formulaic.

And eliminating "participation awards" and all the other claptrap our so-called "educators" have come up with to eliminate both the rewards and recognition for excelling at pro-social activities, and the consequences of failing at them.

Rich

Narita is similar to Tel Aviv though not quite as militant.

Err? Nowhere close?

TLV has a checkpoint when you turn towards the terminal. The road is zigzagged so if you drive through the checkpoint, the people at the main entrance have plenty of time to prepare for your arrival.

NRT is nothing like that? I don't understand how you compare those two? Perhaps you are confusing it with some other airport?

Err? Nowhere close?

TLV has a checkpoint when you turn towards the terminal. The road is zigzagged so if you drive through the checkpoint, the people at the main entrance have plenty of time to prepare for your arrival.

NRT is nothing like that? I don't understand how you compare those two? Perhaps you are confusing it with some other airport?

No, Narita has a check point that all drivers must stop at and they have a large bus about 100 meters from that checkpoint that they can pull across the road if somebody bypasses the main checkpoint.

Come to think of it Tel Aviv only has some Toyota 4WD pickup trucks past the checkpoint so nowhere near the mass of the hardened bus at Narita. However I get the feeling from Tel Aviv that there would be significantly less time till they would start pumping rounds into you vs. Narita.

No, Narita has a check point that all drivers must stop at and they have a large bus about 100 meters from that checkpoint that they can pull across the road if somebody bypasses the main checkpoint.

Come to think of it Tel Aviv only has some Toyota 4WD pickup trucks past the checkpoint so nowhere near the mass of the hardened bus at Narita. However I get the feeling from Tel Aviv that there would be significantly less time till they would start pumping rounds into you vs. Narita.

Well you got to act like that when you're a country who would vanish like a fart in the wind if it weren't for the tremendous forced support of the American people in pumping millitary tech and copious amounts of Americans funds into your nation.

Just hope we don't have another gigantic overblown response to this. Flying commercial already sucks, no need to make it a hassle when you get off the plane now.

I hope the lawmakers don't go all knee-jerk as always. If anything outside of the actual shooter is to blame, it's the FBI people that he spoke with months prior, acting disturbed and crazy with them doing virtually nothing.

The other weird thing about NRT that I recall is the guard towers. They had guard towers inside and around their perimeter manned with cameras and mannequins. What was spooky is that the mannequins were rigged to move from time to time like something from a Disney ride, creepy.

Well you got to act like that when you're a country who would vanish like a fart in the wind if it weren't for the tremendous forced support of the American people in pumping millitary tech and copious amounts of Americans funds into your nation.

Yep, we should have stopped supporting them years ago. Actually we never should have supported their formation after WW2.

True. 100 years ago, folks in Kansas would read about it in the paper a couple days later and think "I'm sure glad we don't live in Florida".

This one does ;)

I grew up in neighboring Missouri. Couldn't wait to get the hell outta that part of the country. No mountains, no oceans, hot and humid in the summer and frequently colder than some parts of Alaska in winter ! I could not see any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I grew up in neighboring Missouri. Couldn't wait to get the hell outta that part of the country. No mountains, no oceans, hot and humid in the summer and frequently colder than some parts of Alaska in winter ! I could not see any redeeming qualities whatsoever.
I think the same thing about Missouri, too.

Question for those who know more about handgun laws than I....

If you possess the proper carry permit, are you allowed to have your handgun with you in the "landside" areas of the airport terminal such as baggage claims and ticketing areas?

If you check a firearm in, it will probably have some special handling going forward, the bag that it's in will have to be picked up at an off-airport location, not in the terminal building.

Personally I am surprised this was not already happening.

If you check a firearm in, it will probably have some special handling going forward, the bag that it's in will have to be picked up at an off-airport location, not in the terminal building.

Personally I am surprised this was not already happening.

No, current procedure is exactly what happened yesterday. He checked the gun in at Anchorage and flew to FL via a stop in MSP. He picked up his checked bag at baggage claim (legal) and went into the men's room, removed the gun, and came out shooting.

Better government than NY, or CA, sadly some of the prettier parts of the country have the worse gov and people.

I'm not a fan of Missouri either. The attitude and people in Kansas are to our liking. While we do enjoy the coasts and mountains, this is where the jobs are, and we can easily have our 11 acre plot.

The seasons are fine for us. Last night I was in the hot tub - 11F outside, 100F water. Summer, stay in the shade or indoors. Spring and fall are best, like most places.

Sigh..... Some of my FB friends are calling for the TSA checkpoint to be move to the entrance of the airport or off site like Tel Aviv. I don't think they understand that is practically impossible with the amount of terminals and daily passengers we have.

Back