Shooting at FLL

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
9 shot (multiple people dead) and shooter in custody.

Looks like the Delta gates, watching on CNN. A suspect is in custody.

edit: shooting occurred at baggage claim area

Last edited:
Seeing reports of shots being fired in the parking garage now. Hopefully just hysteria and not real gunfire.

Seeing reports of shots being fired in the parking garage now. Hopefully just hysteria and not real gunfire.

Yup, something happening. People running out on the ramp, some taking shelter behind objects.

Question for those who know more about handgun laws than I....

If you possess the proper carry permit, are you allowed to have your handgun with you in the "landside" areas of the airport terminal such as baggage claims and ticketing areas?

If you possess the proper carry permit, are you allowed to have your handgun with you in the "landside" areas of the airport terminal such as baggage claims and ticketing areas?

Not in Florida, or most other states.

Edit: Correction, I had it backwards. 44 states allow some amount of concealed carry in airports.

Last edited:
mayor just confirmed 5 dead, 8 wounded

Nut jobs.

Remember it wasn't his fault, it was the evil super automatic assult musket, lest we address the bigger [real] issues :rolleyes:

Reports that he had the gun in his checked baggage. Arrived on a flight from Canada...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article124963889.html

Yup. You can check a weapon in your checked luggage along with the bullets, which I believe have to be out of the gun. In America, right now.

This guy, according to the news, picked up his checked bag at baggage claim, went into a restroom, apparently removed and loaded the weapon, then came out firing.

Welp TSA is going to be a bigger a$$ to us now. I bet they'll try to ban guns from checked luggage....

Lets hope LIT TSA keep their head screwed on straight. They actually have good people with common sense working for them.

Arkansas won't let you carry inside a public terminal. I don't even think an FFDO can pull his gun outside of the aircraft without getting in serious trouble.

Arkansas won't let you carry inside a public terminal. I don't even think an FFDO can pull his gun outside of the aircraft without getting in serious trouble.

I believe an FFDO can only remove the gun when in the cockpit (excuse me ladies, flight deck). I know people can check guns in their checked luggage but don't know if local airports have control as to prohibit it. If that's the case at LIT, how do hunters headed for Alaska, as an example, get their guns up there?

Georgia now allows it.

Correct, and I had my facts backwards on the other states. Only 6 prohibit it (including Florida). Others have varying interpretations of what 'at the airport' means.

I believe an FFDO can only remove the gun when in the cockpit (excuse me ladies, flight deck). I know people can check guns in their checked luggage but don't know if local airports have control as to prohibit it. If that's the case at LIT, how do hunters headed for Alaska, as an example, get their guns up there?

I've always thought that the gun had to be already in the luggage case and rendered safe before you walked inside.

I've always thought that the gun had to be already in the luggage case and rendered safe before you walked inside.

Yeah you're probably correct as I don't know the correct procedure. That sounds reasonable. After this incident that will probably be eliminated.

Correct, and I had my facts backwards on the other states. Only 6 prohibit it (including Florida). Others have varying interpretations of what 'at the airport' means.

Arkansas defines it as:

15) Inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person is prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the passenger terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking the firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft;

FBO's are a gray area. As they could be both a passenger terminal and a private business. I have a friend who just uses the ramp gate to be safe whenever he goes flying in his cub. He likes to carry just in case he has to spend the night in the woods. There's a few areas of Arkansas you can be missing for days if they don't know where to look.

Yeah you're probably correct as I don't know the correct procedure. That sounds reasonable. After this incident that will probably be eliminated.

Hopefully if there is any changes it's just that you can't carry ammo.

Yeah, but then they'd probably have to search the bag to ensure there isn't. Terrorists are winning.

Well I'm just happy we don't have to go through multiple checkpoints even before you get to the terminal like in some countries.

The best security I've seen was in St. Maarten before they opened the current terminal. They hand searched all luggage while you waited in the ticket line. They were always very considerate and kept your bags as untouched as possible. They mostly looked for drugs and weapons.

France has armed military walking their terminals, or at least last time I was there in '09.

Regardless of the checked luggage, baggage claim is a non-secured area so he could have just as easily walked into baggage claim from of the street with the gun.

Yup. Wonder if that will change.

I've always thought an airport either ticket or baggage level would be a ripe target. And as previously mentioned it would be very easy to walk in from the street and start blasting away. There's really no way to legislate a fix unless they want to make ALL our airports like Tel Aviv or Narita.

As an FFDO I can attest that our jurisdiction ends at the cockpit door. We are sworn Federal Officers with both the smallest and fastest jurisdictions.

I've always thought an airport either ticket or baggage level would be a ripe target. And as previously mentioned it would be very easy to walk in from the street and start blasting away. There's really no way to legislate a fix unless they want to make ALL our airports like Tel Aviv or Narita.

How is Narita laid out? I always thought it was just Tel Aviv that had the off airport checkpoint.

Airports are soft targets, like schools, I mean every one is about as unarmed as you can get, crap man, you don't even have the right to bear...10oz of coffee lol

Does anyone know if these people just panicked and ran out onto the runway on their own or were they sent there by TSA or airport police?

fort_lauderdale_airport_shooting.jpg

As an FFDO I can attest that our jurisdiction ends at the cockpit door. We are sworn Federal Officers with both the smallest and fastest jurisdictions.

The TSA security line is the biggest soft target of all. "Ok, people, stand in the switchback line".... Standing ducks.

He followed the rules,on checking in a weapon. Now where going to need a heavy TSA presence In the bagge claim area, it's almost impossible to protect against all the variables,that a deranged individual may implement.

Last edited:
Back