Shooting at FLL

The other weird thing about NRT that I recall is the guard towers. They had guard towers inside and around their perimeter manned with cameras and mannequins. What was spooky is that the mannequins were rigged to move from time to time like something from a Disney ride, creepy.

I'm not sure if they still have the water cannons there...supposedly to deal with farmers still angry about the land taken to build the airport.

I don't get how this shooting is any different compared to one in a nightclub, movie theater, school, or on the street. Why should the TSA and security screening even enter the discussion? The screening is to protect the aircraft, not the general public in areas where the general public is allowed to be.

I don't get how this shooting is any different compared to one in a nightclub, movie theater, school, or on the street. Why should the TSA and security screening even enter the discussion? The screening is to protect the aircraft, not the general public in areas where the general public is allowed to be.
You should run for office. This is the kind of clear, level headed response that needs to be said and heard.

I grew up in neighboring Missouri. Couldn't wait to get the hell outta that part of the country. No mountains, no oceans, hot and humid in the summer and frequently colder than some parts of Alaska in winter ! I could not see any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

What the wife and I both like about living in the Charlotte area is that the mountains are pretty close and the ocean is an easy drive away. Also the climate is much better with four seasons but without temperature extremes that we have faced elsewhere. I cannot even imagine returning to the midwest.

Ok that explains. The last time I went through, I took the train and there were no checks before security, same if you take a bus there.
I'm guessing part of the reason why it is so "heavily" guarded is that when NRT was built, the locals did everything they can to sabotage the operation. I'm guessing the threats TLV prepares for are slightly more serious than an angry Japanese farmer, who will probably swear at you at worst :)

TLV has a concrete bunker checkpoint with heavily armed guards at the entry road. The road then does a long and winding zigzag to the main entrance, where there is another checkpoint, and more armed guards. The idea is, that you can't drive a hummer through the checkpoint and surprise everyone at the main terminal. I was pretty lucky on my TLV adventures, I got nr 2 at the profiling point. I just waltz through it. A friend of mine has a 5, and he gets 4 times rubber glove treatment and it takes him 4-5 hours to fly out of Gurion.

Shrug it off, really. . .nut case kills some people; been happening for a few thousand years. Nothing special about it happening at an airport, vs a Starbucks. Or a ball game. I'd rather accept occasional, limited, casualties, than over-react in the cause of "greater safety". We aren't safe, we never were safe, and I kinda hope we never are. I've never been involved in, or witnessed, an endeavour where safety was the primary goal.

No, current procedure is exactly what happened yesterday. He checked the gun in at Anchorage and flew to FL via a stop in MSP. He picked up his checked bag at baggage claim (legal) and went into the men's room, removed the gun, and came out shooting.
If you check a firearm in, it will probably have some special handling going forward, the bag that it's in will have to be picked up at an off-airport location, not in the terminal building.

Personally I am surprised this was not already happening.
Why? Probably tens of thousands of guns are in checked baggage a year, and this has happened once, ever. Much more likely for someone to just walk in off the street.

Hopefully now after this event there will be more people dropping off and picking up their loved ones while carrying a side arm. I don't usually carry when I am in my home town but whenever I travel with the family I always bring my 1911. You never know when it might be put to good use. I don't expect the police to be there when they might be needed, we as a society need to be better at helping our neighbors.

Lifted this off an airline pilots board:

I was sitting in the cockpit when people starting pouring out onto the ramp. The worst part? The friggin TSA AGENTS were the first ones out and literally would run over poeple that had fallen. It was really something to see women with their little kids get trampled on by grown men.

I'm not sure If it's being discussed but the Airport/TSA/Sheriffs Dept did a horrendous job during this mess.

I was going through security in Term 3 and was talking about the shooting and the TSA Agents had no idea what I was talking about. What a joke.

We took two passengers who were emotional wrecks in the jetway and got them on our aircraft. 6 hrs later when Customs/Boarder patrol comes on our plane he pulls his gun on the kid while we are standing right there. Was a total ****

Jesus, sounds like a cluster all around.

If you watched any of it on TV, it was totally disorganized, like the airport had no plan for evacuation. Maybe airport management thinks law enforcement will handle things, but when there is a shooter, and possibly more, that is their priority. Some heads need to roll at that airport, and probably many others in our country.

I've seen evacuations in person at ATL and CVG and they were organized and timely, so it can be done.

First video released. I wish the cops had just shot the coward when they got there.

I've never been to FLL - most airports I've seen have the baggage claim right next to the exits. Possibly the evacuation plan for an incident at baggage claim was just to have everyone use the exits. But it sounds like the whole terminal was emptied and the people already past security had no where else to go other than outside on the ramp?

I know at Kansas City (MCI), we have a really dated terminal configuration. A lot of people like the "convenience" of the layout. But, among other things, it puts the security lines and secure areas right next to all the exterior exits and baggage claims.

I've flown into FLL many times with a layover and as we were a Delta Connection we used that terminal and Delta's gates. Baggage claim is at street level and you go out to street side. Very congested out there as other buildings/terminals are across from this one.

I think you're right about having no where to go but outside on the ramp. Where else would they go? It's a long walk back out of that terminal. This is where it broke down with passengers running everywhere it seemed, with no guidance from airport officials. Someone should have been tasked for controlling and organizing the passengers. I'll bet they'll look into it and develop a better plan. Like I said, I've seen evacuations at CVG and ATL and they were organized and had locations where to gather the passengers. It can be done correctly. Airports and airlines do some things on the cheap and often this results in an inadequate number of employees. I don't know the answer but this incident revealed a big weakness at that airport, and probably other airports as well.

In our favor, the MCI guys assured travellers that just because you don't see armed security, that doesn't mean they aren't there. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Back