Shipping luggage - do you guys ship to the hotel or fbo or?

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
What does the forum members do?

Four people, full fuel, and bags puts me at gross. So I normally just ship items ahead.

Thanks and happy new year!

Last edited:
Which hotels?
My company ships stuff to hotels ahead of me often, but these are "preferred" hotels, where there is some sort of discount given to us, and perhaps other perks. I've not had an issue as yet. The hotels we use are IHC or Hilton brands. They tell me I have an item waiting when I check in.

First off, it’s great to see you back on the forum. You’ll quickly realize that a few things have changed over the past few years.

Which hotel are you staying at? Hampton Inn is pretty good about receiving and/or holding luggage before check-in. They kept our luggage behind the counter before we ever even got to the hotel at no charge when we went to NYC for vacay this past summer.

No idea about how FBO’s work in regard to this though.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Hyatt is where we usually end up and we used to never have and issue, maybe it was a 1 time deal.

I was told Disney is starting to charge also, but they charge for everything.

Pack light.

^ This. Doesn't matter whether you are going via GA or commercial. Packing light is key.

The magic plastic card can provide anything you need, or forgot, once there. :D

If you have old suitcases, buy new ones. It's amazing how much lighter they are now. We have some new large suitcases (for cruises or long vacations) that weigh less than our old carry-on suitcases. You can save several pounds just in suitcases.

Pack light.

Or less fuel, more stops.
Or lighter friends/family.

I do have to ask, what's the point of paying the premium to own and fly a twin (took that from your avatar) if you have to leave stuff behind with only one other couple (or family) on board? You can do that with a Mooney or a Bonanza.

Leave fuel on the ground, pack light, get rid of all the BS you don’t need and make a fuel stop. That’s what I’d do. Use the laundry service while there. It will be cheaper than shipping bags.

Four people, full fuel, and bags puts me at gross. So I normally just ship items ahead.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the plane. ;)

"But we need a bigger plane dear."

I moved our middle daughter out of her dorm room with the Baron. Now, it was one of those tiny "traditional dorm rooms" with two people in it and the bathroom at the end of the hall. And it was just she and I in the plane. But it all fit, size and W&B. It just barely fit in the Kia Sportage once we got back to Atlanta. :eek: The 1:45 flight was way better than the 5.5 - 6 hour drive.

Old suitcases are heavy! Switched to duffel bags years ago and love them.

Shipping UPS works great! I can ship anywhere in the lower 48 for $50 a bag, we have negociated pricing.

This past occurrence we checked in and we were told that the hotel really didn’t like receiving luggage ahead of time. Caught me of guard because it was the first time I was told that. Just thought I would ask what others do.

I love my twin! It helps me spend my children’s inheritance faster. :)

Ship to a fedex store and pick it up when you arrive. Our family hacked in Yellowstone for a week. We shipped our backpack, tents and the rest of our gear to lighten our load in the plane.

I don't think I'd fly myself and other people if I had to ship luggage ahead. Sounds like a huge hassle. If I wanted that much hassle, I'd just fly commercial.

Old suitcases are heavy! Switched to duffel bags years ago and love them.

Shipping UPS works great! I can ship anywhere in the lower 48 for $50 a bag, we have negociated pricing.

This past occurrence we checked in and we were told that the hotel really didn’t like receiving luggage ahead of time. Caught me of guard because it was the first time I was told that. Just thought I would ask what others do.

I love my twin! It helps me spend my children’s inheritance faster. :)

Probably some emerging hotel security related policy, sort of like the passenger airlines.

But I agree with post #11. A bigger twin is in order. The kids were just going to waste it anyway. :D

I always ship stuff to hotel and have only paid in Vegas $10 per package
Normally if there's a lot of stuff I tip the valet

I friend of mine ships stuff. He created a small business account with UPS to save every time he sends stuff

I use a 60L mountaineers backback, works as a carry on and hauls all I need for all but a straight moving my home.

What do I do? I went and got a bigger plane.

This was our load for a family of 4 coming back from Christmas. It filled the entire back of our Honda Odyssey.

With 6 hours of fuel I was still 2-300lbs under gross.

be3c2507bda17d5b636af5b9bffd5828.jpg

I will say, that even flying commercial, if the golf clubs are going, I ship them separately, rather than deal with them at the airports.

even with the Saratoga packed with wife and 3 kids for a week vacation I never really thought about shipping anything.

Pack lighter.

what's the useful on that apache? I thought the geronimos with the 180 conversion upped the gross to 4k? Should be good for at least 1200 lbs no? Early PA-32-300s are def the heavy haulers on that front. some 260s have even more ridiculous ULs, but the climb rates illustrate that just because something is legal doesn't mean it's smart.

Stock Apaches are have the reciprocal problem to the cherokee 235. All that volume but no useful to use it. The 235 otoh has all that useful, but no volume to use it. :D

Joking aside, if you have the stock fuel arrangement, that means 36 gal on the main and 18 on the aux, per wing. The mains alone is 4ish hours endurance at 8gph per engine. Leaving the auxes empty should give you 200ish more pounds of payload. That ought to be enough to cover whatever it is you're trying to haul on that luggage compartment. Maybe split the difference and just load 8 gallons a side on the auxes, that gets ya 5 hours total endurance at that fuel burn. Your pax prob don't want to hang out that long in the airplane, so a relief stop at the 4 hour point is probably needed even if you could make it non-stop on full tanks. I do concede that a PA-23 cabin is probably one cabin people would be comfortable enough to stretch out and endure more than 4 hours. They are cavernous.

The mains alone is 4ish hours endurance at 8gph per engine. Leaving the auxes empty should give you 200ish more pounds of payload. That ought to be enough to cover whatever it is you're trying to haul on that luggage compartment. Maybe split the difference and just load 8 gallons a side on the auxes, that gets ya 5 hours total endurance at that fuel burn. I do concede that a PA-23 cabin is probably one cabin people would be comfortable enough to stretch out and endure more than 4 hours. They are cavernous.

You are exactly correct. Espically the part about the Piper cabin.

Never really tried, although I thought about having stuff shipped to our in-law's house which is usually our first stop on the way anywhere since they're our dogsitters... and soon to be babysitters. One thing we have done in the past though is just not bring as many changes clothes. You can usually find a hotel with guest laundry that will solve that problem, or if one must a nearby laundromat.

What do I do? I went and got a bigger plane.

This was our load for a family of 4 coming back from Christmas. It filled the entire back of our Honda Odyssey.

With 6 hours of fuel I was still 2-300lbs under gross.

be3c2507bda17d5b636af5b9bffd5828.jpg

I always enjoy posts about your Beech 18.

Was there a large spruce tree slung under the belly? :D

Any full service hotel with a bellman is capable of receiving and storing shipped luggage. The motel-6 maybe not so much.

Wouldn't a phone conversation with the hotel make it a pretty easy set up? I would think a random box showing up may mystify them but seems like if they expect it and know why it would't be a big deal. I plan on doing this if I do a long cross country for significant amount of time with my minuscule useful load. I'd rather ship it and fly topped off even if I'm doing 2.5hr fuel stops at half tanks...

Thank you @SinkorSwim for bringing this thread. I've shipped to hotels numerous times and have never had issue. But, the times they are a changing, so I'll be making phone calls before I do it again.

When doing it I label everything
To: Ravioli (Guest) arriving mm.dd.yyyy
C/O Hotel name
etc.

If I'm in their program I'll put my membership number on it as well.

For OSH I use the Fedex hold for pickup on field. That works awesome. People have asked how I get so much stuffs in my RV. ;)

Back