Roger, Wilco Over and Out...

It's rare that I notice an airline crew member flubbing comms, and the few cases I've heard pale in comparison to some of my own screw-ups!

Yep... I don't think I've heard "over" or "out" since leaving the active duty Navy. I learned early on in my shipboard life that when communicating with aviators (in the act of flying), don't expect them to respond with the communications formalities we learned in school. "Over"... or "out" were typically replaced with two mic clicks. It was explained to us wet-noses in terms something like: Uh... kid... he's kinda busy up there.

Likewise, I haven't heard (or used) them since leaving the Army.

Roger: "I have understood your transmission."
Wilco: "I will comply."
Over: "I am finished with my transmission, your turn." (Generally inapplicable to aviation communication)
Out: "I am finished, I do not expect a reply." (Generally inapplicable to aviation communication)
Say again: "I did not understand your last transmission."
Repeat: "Fire another artillery barrage." (Generally inapplicable to aviation communication, particularly civil. It is a carryover from military radio procedures.)

I love Hollywood saying "Over and out!" So, which is it?

I can imagine. Kind of like getting into a new airplane and calling ground while frantically looking around the panel for the N-number.

I have that problem in our club. Which plane am I flying today? When in doubt, 75898, as I've flown that 172 more than anything else. But... :)

At an uncontrolled airport once some old-sounding guy made all of his radio transmissions like this:
"Podunk Unicom, Cessna 123, entering downwind runway 1, over."
"Podunk Unicom, Cessna 123, base runway 1, over."
"Podunk Unicom, Cessna 123, final runway 1, over."

Still perplexed two years later.

...Upside down and around?

My understanding from books and video courses was that "CB slang" has no place in aviation. Like these are FAA no no's. Some people even frown at saying "With you" etc. on hand overs.

However interpreted; I was vaguely told/understand that Roger and Wilco were used at one point formally or informally and discouraged from use some time ago.

On some recent flights, and it even seems like only recently, I have heard even a controller respond "Roger" and rarely Wilco used in response by a pilot. Most rare of all someone said "Over." Did I miss a memo or are there military pilots or pilots who recently got their medical and biannual and initially certificated/taught from a time when this was generally accepted.

I'm a bit confused. I personally never did and don't plan to use this phraseology.

Big mistake. Both terms are in the Pilot/Controller Glossary and are current. WILCO, like it or not, is almost always the correct response.

Bob

So I just recently went back to the right seat after a few year stint in the left, and one of the things I've had to get used to is once again being the guy on the radio while on the ground. One of my gems from the other day happened at ORD: " 'Morning ramp, airliner xxx is....uhhhhh.....heh...I have absolutely no idea what gate we're at. Hold on a minute..." Ramp came back with a chuckle: "Tell you what xxx, all the alleys are clear - go ahead and push and we'll figure it out together!"

I've been doing this a long time, but in that moment I made the classic radio mistake of keying up the mic before being sure I had *all* the pertinent information for the guy on the other end. :p

I've posted my recording of me having a total brain meltdown at the end of my SE Commercial checkride. It's not as funny on the recording as it was in the airplane because both I and the DPE are laughing our heads off by about the third idiotic transmission from me. No safety issue, just no brain cells firing that were connected to the synapses leading to my mouth. All I had to say was "taxi to parking". Couldn't do it. Hahaha.

Big mistake. Both terms are in the Pilot/Controller Glossary and are current. WILCO, like it or not, is almost always the correct response.

Bob

It's very useful. Concise, gives extra emphasis that you heard and understood and are going to do it, moreso than just a tail number or abbreviated tail number. If we're analyzing phraseology, to be honest, I've heard a number of pros using "We'll do it" equally effectively, but it's non-standard.

I love Hollywood saying "Over and out!" So, which is it?

I have that problem in our club. Which plane am I flying today? When in doubt, 75898, as I've flown that 172 more than anything else. But... :)

Ghery,

I've always had an interest in railroads. The GCOR, (General Code of Operating Rules) demands the use of "Over" and "Out" in their communications. Seems a waste of air time to me but I think that rule has been around since forever.

Okay, I just remembered. I have gotten a frequency change wrong once or twice in my career and had to go back to last assigned to get the correct freq.

I have used the terminology when I went back:

1) I think I wadded up the frequency
2) I think I goobered up the frequency
3) I think I balled up the frequency
4) I think I boogered up the frequency

Are any of those in the glossary?
Are they frowned upon?

The AIM says that it's OK to use whatever words are needed to get your point across.

I think most here are way too paranoid.
I have done a bit of self research on these things, and well, I made most booboos listed here, and I'm an experienced airline guy... as did everyone else on the frequency.

Lighten up on this stuff. ATC has formal required verbiage, but pilots do use a bit of slang. Im not a fan of "fish finder", or "flash", but some of the others.... you would be more professional just to let it go.

Quite frankly the inexperienced are not identified by their exact lingo, but rather their flow and cadence on the radio.
As the case in many things, it's probably a good idea to know or learn the correct way before improvising. As can been seen from this thread, some pilots are improvising because of not knowing the correct way, not in spite of it.

Isn't "over" a holdover from a days gone by when radios transmissions were often broken and garbled and saying "over" was clear way to end the transmission with clarification?

...then too many jackwaggon wannabes saw Smokey and the Bandit...
Same reason for the 10 codes

Back