Reporting Medical Fraud

• Thread starter Concerned Citizen
  • Start date
C

Concerned Citizen

If I suspect a person has fraudulently obtained a medical certificate (by omitting/lying on MedXpress and to the AME) how can the person be reported? I need to remain anonymous.

Great. A rat.

If it harms you personally that’s one thing, but just to turn someone in..??

I will edit my post to say if you know a nut job who is sick and trying to fly into buildings, yes... please report it.
If you know someone who had three heart attacks and flying neighborhood kids, I get that too.
If it’s someone who had a DUI 20 years ago... let that one go.

Last edited:
If I suspect a person has fraudulently obtained a medical certificate (by omitting/lying on MedXpress and to the AME) how can the person be reported? I need to remain anonymous.
Depends on what they lied about or omitted. Can you please elaborate? There's no reason to hide it from us.

Yes, this person would affect me personally. It is much more severe than a DUI 20 years ago or a heart attack 5 years ago. Mental instability. In my decade+ and several thousands of hours of flying I have never wanted to report or felt like I needed to until now. Sometimes you just know when something isn't right.

Maybe he thinks the safety of the public and the NAS is his business.
But only if it doesn't inconvenience him with effects such as loss of job, from the sound of it...

Suspecting and having foundational evidence are two different things. Are you assuming the individual did this or do you have proof of it? Reporting someone on assumption won't hold much clout.

I don't have a dog in this fight. But I have two questions:

From legal perspective: doesn't failure to report crime/fraud make one an accessory?
From moral perspective: how would it make one feel if something bad happens as a result of one's lack of reporting?

As pointed out above, things might have turned out differently had somebody reported the unstable Germanwings pilot.

I am surprised at the negativity here. I guess this crowd has a lot to hide? *shrug*

But only if it doesn't inconvenience him with effects such as loss of job, from the sound of it...

I see nothing wrong with wanting to maintain anonymity to protect oneself. Why suffer for the wrongdoings of others or their malevolence? That is why programs such as anonymous hotlines exist. It is also why whistleblower protections exist though not everyone is protected by them in all situations. I can see many reasons and situations where someone might be justified in reporting another person but desire to remain anonymous to be protected from the consequences.

Tough question,hate to see someone face interrogation,from the FAA,on a premonition. More facts would be nice.

I'm also surprised at the negativity in the thread. I understand that the FAA medical has caused issues for some people when in a subjective manner it should not have done so. I seriously doubt that's the case here.

I also understand wanting to remain anonymous under these circumstances. You'd likely know someone pretty well to feel the way the OP does.

Would all of you guys also frown on the people that called regarding Nikolas Cruz being a threat? Would you have told them to mind their own damn business as well? Or is that fair game since it's non aviation?

Tough question,hate to see someone face interrogation,from the FAA,on a premonition. More facts would be nice.

Before they would even call the airman in for an interview, they would conduct an investigation and try to substantiate the anonymous charges.

I'm also surprised at the negativity in the thread. I understand that the FAA medical has caused issues for some people when in a subjective manner it should not have done so. I seriously doubt that's the case here.

I also understand wanting to remain anonymous under these circumstances. You'd likely know someone pretty well to feel the way the OP does.

Would all of you guys also frown on the people that called regarding Nikolas Cruz being a threat? Would you have told them to mind their own damn business as well? Or is that fair game since it's non aviation?

Interesting point, let's go down this path.

Report Cruz, well despite the fact that our government is nearly useless and didn't do anything anyways, don't think anything bad happened to anyone who reported, but if they stopped him you'd be a hero.

Report the German wings guy, nope, presuming the government did something, worst case you can say told you so, best cast well you'd probably be a hero.

Report your neghibor for noise without him making noise to cause him problems, best not use your name because you might get your butt kicked.

SWAT someone because they beat you at some computer game, best not use your name because you'll go to jail.

So to me, the only people who don't want their name tied to a report are ether doing it for malice, self benifit, or just to make trouble.

Thus, own it, or just worry about your own life.

Last edited:
From legal perspective: doesn't failure to report crime/fraud make one an accessory?

In general, no. To aid and abet one must take some action, knowing that an act is a crime, to help it happen. To be an accessory, one must help or assist the criminal in some way, even if after the fact.

We are not all obligated to be policemen. People in some roles are obligated to report certain types of crime. I don’t believe pilots have such obligations regarding others.

How would you know what was put on the MedXpress or what they said to the AME?? Unless you had access to that record and if you did in a professional way? And were in the room during the exam. U
You could mind your own business.
Mind your own business for sure, and how would you know anyway unless you had access to the patient record?

I wouldn’t worry about it. The chances of said “mental instability” affecting the person’s ability to pilot an aircraft would be negligible. Plenty of people driving vehicles on the road with mental conditions that aren’t caught in a physical. Same principle.

Last edited:
mental instability.

Are we talking chemtrails / conspiracy theory mental instability or fly a plane into the IRS building to show them mental instability?

There really isn't much in between. Remember - you can fly with BasicMed for a lot of conditions that would ground you if you sought a medical certificate.

Thus - I would ask the question: Is he flying an aircraft under the terms that would satisfy a BasicMed application?

Its one thing to have certain conditions that would render you ineligible for a 1st/2d/or 3d class - but if you're flying a Skyhawk or hp retract under the weight limits of Basicmed . . . then you're just making trouble where no trouble exists.

If he's flying commercially, or flying a turbine or a heavy Twin and would not be flying under Basicmed - then yeah, if he satisfies the danger to self or others - then maybe you should say something - but the "I should report the guy" has only 1/4 of the 4 way box - and you'd better damn well be right - otherwise - he's GONNA find out who you are and will bring a defamation action against you. Because its gonna cost him a fortune to deal with the bureaucracy.

Finally - if I'm the FAA and I get some guy calling me to turn someone else in for mental instability - anonymously. I MIGHT run an Rx check on the guy to see what he's been Rx'd - and if nothing shows up - its an anon complaint. File 13. If you're not willing to stand up for what you see and believe and put your name behind it - then you can't expect much to happen now, can you.

If you only suspect it, then consider what happens if you're wrong.
I don't have a dog in this fight. But I have two questions:

From moral perspective: how would it make one feel if something bad happens as a result of one's lack of reporting?

As pointed out above, things might have turned out differently had somebody reported the unstable Germanwings pilot.

I am surprised at the negativity here. I guess this crowd has a lot to hide? *shrug*

From the legal perspective - doesn't one become liable for bad things happening if you make unfounded accusations?
From the moral perspective - isn't it morally reprehensible to make accusations against an innocent person and maybe ruin their life?

Things might have turned out differently if somone had reported the pilot of DL 310 yesterday too. You won't find that in the news because nothing happened. But it surely would have been different if someone had reported it.

Thus far I have to say to keep your mouth shut because you have laid no facts out to us. What you have is an accusation and gossip.

Hello flight level Masters,

There is this crazy person trying to defame some stranger on the internet, I need to report them immediately to the FAA! Can you internet people help me destroy them please?

Thanks,

"Anonymous" not crazy person

P.S. I will happily submit to **** tests, palm swipes, or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello flight level Masters,

There is this crazy person trying to defame some stranger on the internet, I need to report them immediately to the FAA! Can you internet people help me destroy them please?

Thanks,

"Anonymous" not crazy person

P.S. I will happily submit to **** tests, palm swipes, or whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I appreciate the humor in your post, in order to defame someone, wouldn't you have to reveal who they are?

Last edited:
In general, no. To aid and abet one must take some action, knowing that an act is a crime, to help it happen. To be an accessory, one must help or assist the criminal in some way, even if after the fact.

We are not all obligated to be policemen. People in some roles are obligated to report certain types of crime. I don’t believe pilots have such obligations regarding others.
Thank you for a useful and unbiased answer without snark, ridiculing or plain animosity (not easy to find here nowadays).

I am no lawyer, which is why I dared to ask (against my better judgement) this crowd.
I guess I was a little confused by Asimov's first law: "... may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm".

OP, let us know what comes of your report to the FAA. Curious as to the outcome.

I guess I was a little confused by Asimov's first law: "... may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm".

There is probably a whole college semester morality course that could be taught based on this single idea and the question "what if you're wrong"?

Lots of arrogance in this thread, and a bit of wisdom from Dr. Bruce. None here know even a single thing about the situation but the OP. Says me drop a dime if its the right thing to do. If he's wrong, the worst case is the snitchee might have an unpleasant interview with the FAA. If he's right he could very well save innocent lives. I wouldn't have to think too long or hard.

Yes, this person would affect me personally. It is much more severe than a DUI 20 years ago or a heart attack 5 years ago. Mental instability. In my decade+ and several thousands of hours of flying I have never wanted to report or felt like I needed to until now. Sometimes you just know when something isn't right.

Mental instability? Are you a doctor or otherwise trained to diagnose such things?

Mental instability? Are you a doctor or otherwise trained to diagnose such things?
Do you think that's really a requirement to feel obliged to report something if you feel that people could be at risk?

I see someone swerving across traffic lanes, speeding up and slowing down and otherwise driving erratically. Do I need a medical degree before calling to report an impaired driver?

I see a guy with a hoodie and mask, suspicious bulge in waistband, walk into a convenience store at 2 AM. Do I need to be a cop in order to figure out what's probably going to happen next?

Or should I just mind my own business?

Do you think that's really a requirement to feel obliged to report something if you feel that people could be at risk?

I see someone swerving across traffic lanes, speeding up and slowing down and otherwise driving erratically. Do I need a medical degree before calling to report an impaired driver?

I see a guy with a hoodie and mask, suspicious bulge in waistband, walk into a convenience store at 2 AM. Do I need to be a cop in order to figure out what's probably going to happen next?

Most of the time, you should mind your own business. Sometimes it's a fine line, I'll grant you that, but this guy wants to report someone for "medical fraud" because he thinks they are "mentally unstable." That's a little different than reporting a ****ty driver or a robbery.

Unrelated examples. Having a mental illness is a medical condition that requires a doctor's diagnosis either for treatment or meds of some kind. The other two examples do not and are unrelated in terms of this subject.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back