Reporting Medical Fraud

• Thread starter Concerned Citizen
  • Start date
That's a little different than reporting a ****ty driver or a robbery.
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know why the OP thinks the person is mentally unstable. Most pilots are a little off in one way or another, but I know some people who, if they ever lied and BS'ed their way though a medical exam to get a certificate, I'd turn in in a heartbeat.

And I'm a firm believer in minding my own business.

Unrelated examples. Having a mental illness is a medical condition that requires a doctor's diagnosis either for treatment or meds of some kind.
Maybe. Maybe not. The OP could have first hand knowledge of a diagnosis, meds or behavior that would make the pilot in question a danger to others. So, yeah, MYOB, unless someone is putting people at risk.

Why?
If you believe in what you are doing, why should you be concerned about remaining anonymous?

I used to be a manager for a company that had a "Suggestion Box," in theory, at least. In reality, it was a "Snitch Box." I never got any suggestions. Not a single one. All I ever got was snitching, almost always anonymously, and almost never with any truth behind the allegations.

After a while, I started looking at the "Name" line on the form before anything else. It was on the bottom for some reason. If it was blank, the form went into the shredder unread. Saved a lot of time.

Rich

Although I appreciate the humor in your post, in order to defame someone, wouldn't you have to reveal who they are?

Although I appreciate the humor in your post, in order to defame someone, wouldn't

Crap. What were you going to say in that second sentence? The suspense is killing me!

I'm just curious to know how he got access to his target's Medexpress to know he didn't report it.

..or is he just a busybody that assumes it must not have been reported because he's "sure" the FAA wouldn't allow it. Whatever "it" is.

Crap. What were you going to say in that second sentence? The suspense is killing me!
There was never supposed to be a second sentence! It may have been a byproduct of interrupting my train of thought, combined with my not noticing that this board's auto-save function had kicked in when I came back to finish the post. Or something like that. :dunno:

Do you have good reason to think he is a danger to others? If so report, if not leave it.

Maybe the person in question is bragging about how he lied on the medical and got away with it

Interesting point, let's go down this path.

Report Cruz, well despite the fact that our government is nearly useless and didn't do anything anyways, don't think anything bad happened to anyone who reported, but if they stopped him you'd be a hero.

Report the German wings guy, nope, presuming the government did something, worst case you can say told you so, best cast well you'd probably be a hero.

Report your neghibor for noise without him making noise to cause him problems, best not use your name because you might get your butt kicked.

SWAT someone because they beat you at some computer game, best not use your name because you'll go to jail.

So to me, the only people who don't want their name tied to a report are ether doing it for malice, self benifit, or just to make trouble.

Thus, own it, or just worry about your own life.
I see that you've never been on the receiving end of retaliation. At least it only cost me a job; it can get worse, especially if the subject of the "snitching" is unstable.

Mental instability? Are you a doctor or otherwise trained to diagnose such things?
I'm may be going out on a limb here, but I'm gonna say that it doesn't always require a doctor to recognize such things.

I dunno, "mental Instability" could cover so many things, including all the girls I ever dated (except Mrs. Steingar of course ;)). If the subject of the OP's ire was under some sort of medical treatment for said condition then the FAA will find them out. If said condition was of insufficient severity to affect the subject's day to day existence (other than to cause the ire of our OP) or require medical intervention I'd tell the OP to mind his own damned business and not go rat folks out.

Personally I think the OP should put up or shut up. Exactly what does "mental Instability" actually entail? Its all anonymous so no foul no harm. This really sounds like some ex-something trying to make trouble for their former partner.

Lots of arrogance in this thread, and a bit of wisdom from Dr. Bruce. None here know even a single thing about the situation but the OP. Says me drop a dime if its the right thing to do. If he's wrong, the worst case is the snitchee might have an unpleasant interview with the FAA. If he's right he could very well save innocent lives. I wouldn't have to think too long or hard.
You may be right, but you have to remember that the OP came here and ASKED for our collective advice. I think everyone here, including the one's I disagree with are giving what they think is their best advice. I see no arrogance, other that the typical pilot arrogance. Without that arrogance, this would be one boring forum.

Seeing as the original post/comments appeared in March of 2018 I would be interested in hearing what happened if anything. However I doubt we'll hear a thing. Closure is futile.

I see that you've never been on the receiving end of retaliation. At least it only cost me a job; it can get worse, especially if the subject of the "snitching" is unstable.

There’s is a big difference between being a annoying workplace snitch (who most people would want to fire), and letting people know of something important and major and saving people.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you called the FAA asking them to investigate someone and they didn't take the time to investigate you while they were at it.

If I suspect a person has fraudulently obtained a medical certificate (by omitting/lying on MedXpress and to the AME) how can the person be reported? I need to remain anonymous.

The reason I know this is bull. The above does not jibe with the below. Been flying for thousands of hours and decade+, but dont know where to report?? Sorry, I dont buy it.

Yes, this person would affect me personally. It is much more severe than a DUI 20 years ago or a heart attack 5 years ago. Mental instability. In my decade+ and several thousands of hours of flying I have never wanted to report or felt like I needed to until now. Sometimes you just know when something isn't right.

Maybe it was someone's ex-wife wanting to report their crazy ex-husband.

Maybe it was someone's ex-wife wanting to report their crazy ex-husband.

Years ago there was an article that said EX’es were a ‘good’ source of mental defects with pilots? I’d question those sources.

I don’t know the details, I’d be more likely to report if circumstances were that the individual were a danger to innocents around him/her.

Last edited:
If it's really serious enough to warrant turning the person in, then you should have the balls to stand up and make the accusation openly.
And you cannot see how this could end up poorly? Seriously?

For those still offering advice to the OP, consider the fact that there's no evidence that he/she has been back to the thread since March.

According to one FSDO inspector I know, you would be surprised at the number of medical complaints they get concerning people failing a medical and flying LS. The complaints are coming from family members.

According to one FSDO inspector I know, you would be surprised at the number of medical complaints they get concerning people failing a medical and flying LS. The complaints are coming from family members.

I wonder the ration of those truly concerned vs spiteful/vengeful?

I wonder the ration of those truly concerned vs spiteful/vengeful?
Or possibly concerned for their safety. Taking the car and keys away from a senile, rickety old man (or woman) is hard enough. Taking the plane and keys away from someone just as dangerous, but more physically fit (and with a typical pilots type-A personality) would be much more difficult.

For those still offering advice to the OP, consider the fact that there's no evidence that he/she has been back to the thread since March.
Doesn't really matter. Once these threads gain momentum, they take on a life of their own. You too may someday know someone that needs to be grounded and think back to this thread.

Or possibly concerned for their safety. Taking the car and keys away from a senile, rickety old man (or woman) is hard enough. Taking the plane and keys away from someone just as dangerous, but more physically fit (and with a typical pilots type-A personality) would be much more difficult.
You can have my airplane keys when you can pry them from the cold, twisted wreckage at the bottom of the hole.

:)

I am the OP back with a small update. I have done nothing in terms of reporting the person. That being said my working relationship with this person has been terminated and I no longer have to see/fly with/be responsible for this person. It was a huge relief when that happened, but I am confident at some point the medical issues/fraud will be revealed. If this person stays on their current track I do not believe they will cause harm to themselves or others, but that direction has changed since I made my original post.

I am the OP back with a small update. I have done nothing in terms of reporting the person. That being said my working relationship with this person has been terminated and I no longer have to see/fly with/be responsible for this person. It was a huge relief when that happened, but I am confident at some point the medical issues/fraud will be revealed. If this person stays on their current track I do not believe they will cause harm to themselves or others, but that direction has changed since I made my original post.

That sounds like a good change. Thanks for the update.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back