Remind me again why I still live in Michigan...

While I’ve seen more than a few of those here in the south, I also saw it in Indiana where I’m from originally and elsewhere in the Midwest. White trash is not limited geographically. I doubt if I’ll ever return to the north for anything other than a short visit, preferably to OSH. I love the more moderate climate and the hills of the Carolinas.

What America is about. Live free and live where YOU want to. But, some get off cutting down areas they don't like. Whatever.

I've lived in many states and overseas, and I've seen the same all over, every state.

While I’ve seen more than a few of those here in the south, I also saw it in Indiana where I’m from originally and elsewhere in the Midwest. White trash is not limited geographically. I doubt if I’ll ever return to the north for anything other than a short visit, preferably to OSH. I love the more moderate climate and the hills of the Carolinas.

You stole my thunder. I was gonna post the same thing. Literally, I've seen that very sight depicted by the picture in question in Indiana during my grad school tenure at Purdue. I have on good authority too, as it was basically the sight I had to endure every time we went to the exwife's (gf at the time) grandparents in little ol' Frankfort/Michigantown/Flora Indiana area.

I understand though that TX meets his standard of living criteria but it’s just not for me. To each his own.

Zero disagreement here. As a 7-year and current Texas resident, but one who also has lived in the Atlanta area, the one thing I'll caveat is that large states like Texas warrant some further review, because the level of self-segregation within the state is pointed. They're simply too large to be taken as a monolith. Even within Texas you have to be careful what these metro/suburbanite denizens even mean when they say "they" live in Texas. For most in the cohort that falls inside the black, this is their dog whistled world view:

upload_2018-2-11_15-18-32.png

Smaller states don't suffer from this dynamic nearly to the degree places like TX, CA and FL do. The transplant population of the former are also much smaller in percentage, which alleviates the tone deafness of these transplant-heavy narratives.

Zero disagreement here. As a 7-year and current Texas resident, but one who also has lived in the Atlanta area, the one thing I'll caveat is that large states like Texas warrant some further review, because the level of self-segregation within the state is pointed. They're simply too large to be taken as a monolith. Even within Texas you have to be careful what these metro/suburbanite denizens even mean when they say "they" live in Texas. For most in the cohort that falls inside the black, this is their dog whistled world view:

View attachment 60069

Smaller states don't suffer from this dynamic nearly to the degree places like TX, CA and FL do. The transplant population of the former are also much smaller in percentage, which alleviates the tone deafness of these transplant-heavy narratives.

Yep, Texas is like a country within a country. Multi cultural as any state and a geography in the west that’s in stark contrast to its east.

Not a state I’d be completely opposed to settling down in. Was offered an EC145 EMS job at Ft Worth upon retirement. Just not a city guy so had to say no.

Now, I hate to say it but Del Rio, yeah that’s a “***hole country.” :D Why my uncle chose to stay there after retiring from Laughlin is a complete mystery to me.

Now, I hate to say it but Del Rio, yeah that’s a “***hole country.” :D Why my uncle chose to stay there after retiring from Laughlin is a complete mystery to me.

You're telling me brother. I'm finally getting close to snagging a repatriation order back to "bona fide" Texas, hopefully within the next 6 months. My family has stoically supported my service to this Country in ways I'm sincerely indebted to them for. It's high time I supported their sacrifice in kind. Wife's too ***ffin' humble to say she's due one. Of course she's also an Oklahoma gal, so disclosing her Texas residency still causes her some personal issues lol.

At any rate, Life's too short to merely "endure it" for a living. So we're looking forward to calling the new area home for once. Texas does fits our family and lifestyle needs very well, aforementioned regional nuances notwithstanding.

Well, it is a private resort community but yeah, there are good and bad areas in every part of the country. I went with north GA because overall, it’s hard to beat living in the GA, NC, TN border area. I’ve actually always wanted to live up in Montana but the reality of long winters (no flying) and high cost of living, make it unpractical.

Threw in a deer pic for ya since I believe you’re a hunter. Usually the size of dogs down here but this one was decent. We’ve got them all over in my neighborhood because people feed them and no hunting is allowed.

View attachment 60058 View attachment 60059 View attachment 60060

Nice pictures. I currently live and work in the Charlotte area but plan to buy some land in the western part of the state up in the hills in the next few years. Hopefully by the time I finally retire, I will have built my final home on it.

Rule of thumb, minimum 20 years to even begin to consider yourself a transplanted Texan, and that's only with the proper attitude and education. Dipweeds think they can look in from the outside for a couple three years and have it all figured out. Aint so.
Texas? Nothing of any interest here. Keep moving along please. Honestly, we're a friendly bunch, but if you decide you absolutely must come for a visit, please check your attitudes, politics, and issues at the border. Same for you fruits and nuts from the left coast.

You're telling me brother. I'm finally getting close to snagging a repatriation order back to "bona fide" Texas, hopefully within the next 6 months. My family has stoically supported my service to this Country in ways I'm sincerely indebted to them for. It's high time I supported their sacrifice in kind. Wife's too ***ffin' humble to say she's due one. Of course she's also an Oklahoma gal, so disclosing her Texas residency still causes her some personal issues lol.

At any rate, Life's too short to merely "endure it" for a living. So we're looking forward to calling the new area home for once. Texas does fits our family and lifestyle needs very well, aforementioned regional nuances notwithstanding.

As much as Oklahomans and Texans hate to admit it, the two states are geographically very similar. Desert-like Western portions, flat plains in the middle/panhandles, hilly with abundant trees and lakes for the Eastern portions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't have all y'all Yankees movin' south - get too crowded and all hurried-up and such.

Northerners don’t move south. They just visit their spoils of war to make sure the vanquished haven’t completely fouled it up since we won.

Northerners don’t move south. They just visit their spoils of war to make sure the vanquished haven’t completely fouled it up since we won.

And occasionally tell them how we do things up north.

View attachment 60069

Love the Texas hill country. Fredericksburg was like my second home. We'd drive there every summer from SoCal to stay with my grandparents for a week. Pink granite quarries, Enchanted Rock, Nimitz museum, swimming at the Ladybird Johnson Park, wildflowers in the spring...a little piece of heaven. Dad let me drive his '64 Continental for the first time through the tumbleweed farm of West Texas...mile after mile of nothing.

Last edited:
Remind me again why I still live in Michigan...

Because the wx is inconvenient, unpleasant, and often ugly, but only very, very, very rarely lethal. And its really easy to get out of the way of the lethal stuff, too. That, and the North is inexpensive and has a vast uninhabited wilderness nearby.

Last edited:
"As much as Oklahomans and Texans hate to admit it, the two states are geographically very similar. Desert-like Western portions, flat plains in the middle/panhandles, hilly with abundant trees and lakes for the Eastern portions."

There's no hate to admit anything. You've got some of it correct, but you're another one who has obviously never taken the opportunity to visit Texas. Sure there's desert, but there's also mountains, and yes, there are plains where the trees grow sideways from the wind, but then you've forgotten to mention the Hill Country, an area that's similar to the Ozarks only with shorter trees and a lot less water. Yes, there's huge hardwood forests and lakes in the east, but you somehow forgot to mention the swamps in the southeast. Where do you think the cotton for your dainty underwear comes from? And guess what? There's a big ole Gulf of Mexico all along the southern border. Beaches, fishing, anything you might want along a sea coast. Oklahoma has a lot of lakes, but where's your ocean? Facts are, no matter what climate, or environment you're looking for, Texas pretty much has it. This time of year it's like an icebox up north, but it's semi-tropical down in the Valley. The culture is a mix of most everything, and everyone. Big cities right along with areas of total desolation, all part of Texas. Before you go shootin off the hip, might I suggest you visit the Riverwalk in San Antonio, or the Stockyards in Ft Worth, or Galveston Island at Houston, or take a trip out to the Observatory in the Davis Mountains, or how about a visit to Big Bend where the dinosaurs lived. We're just scratching the surface. Two states geographically very similar? I not only think not, I know not.

"As much as Oklahomans and Texans hate to admit it, the two states are geographically very similar. Desert-like Western portions, flat plains in the middle/panhandles, hilly with abundant trees and lakes for the Eastern portions."

There's no hate to admit anything. You've got some of it correct, but you're another one who has obviously never taken the opportunity to visit Texas. Sure there's desert, but there's also mountains, and yes, there are plains where the trees grow sideways from the wind, but then you've forgotten to mention the Hill Country, an area that's similar to the Ozarks only with shorter trees and a lot less water. Yes, there's huge hardwood forests and lakes in the east, but you somehow forgot to mention the swamps in the southeast. Where do you think the cotton for your dainty underwear comes from? And guess what? There's a big ole Gulf of Mexico all along the southern border. Beaches, fishing, anything you might want along a sea coast. Oklahoma has a lot of lakes, but where's your ocean? Facts are, no matter what climate, or environment you're looking for, Texas pretty much has it. This time of year it's like an icebox up north, but it's semi-tropical down in the Valley. The culture is a mix of most everything, and everyone. Big cities right along with areas of total desolation, all part of Texas. Before you go shootin off the hip, might I suggest you visit the Riverwalk in San Antonio, or the Stockyards in Ft Worth, or Galveston Island at Houston, or take a trip out to the Observatory in the Davis Mountains, or how about a visit to Big Bend where the dinosaurs lived. We're just scratching the surface. Two states geographically very similar? I not only think not, I know not.

Lol, aside from the Gulf, they have a ton of similar geography. I have been through large swaths of Oklahoma and Texas, and while I can't say as though I've been to every map dot, I have been to just about every location in Texas you've mentioned, and many more. I travel to D/FW and Houston on almost a monthly basis, I've been out to Midland-Odessa, Lubbuck, Amarillo, and Kermit, and Fort Stockton within the past few years. I have also traveled through Beaumont, Longview, San Antonio, and Paris within the past decade. Texas hill country is like most of SE Oklahoma, which sits in the Quachita Mountains and the foothills of the Ozark mountains. Oklahoma has highly-populated cities and desolation as well, it's not unique to Texas (or Oklahoma for that matter). The San Antonio Riverwalk has been emulated by many cities (including OKC), so it may the prime example, but it isn't the only one of it's kind. Sure, some portions of Texas don't have much of a winter (Houston/SA), but it's not like it never drops below freezing there. I think the main reason many Okies dislike Texans as a whole, is the attitude that somehow everything is better in Texas. When in reality, it's just a larger version of what already exists in OK. Sans the gulf and resulting swampland, which I could personally care less about (but that's just me), the two states are undeniably similar which would stand to reason given their close proximity and orientation in the CONUS.

I was flying out of DFW for a month (TDY) and the clerk at the hotel was bragging about how BIG DFW was. I was based at ATL so I told him it was the busiest in the world. His response, yeah but DFW is the biggest. Okkk said I.

What America is about. Live free and live where YOU want to. But, some get off cutting down areas they don't like. Whatever.

I've lived in many states and overseas, and I've seen the same all over, every state.

I'm always amused at southerners and how they feel they deserve cart blanche in disparaging every other part of the country but, heaven forbid, someone should say something negative about the south...and...panties meet wad...

So let me make this not geographical.

1. Do most of your neighbors have everything they've bought in their adult life scattered around their yard?

2. Do you (if you need a receipt like I do when it's my company truck) find yourself going inside of the gas station most of the time because the lazy bastages can't seem to move their butts out from behind the counter to keep receipt paper in the pumps?

3. Are all the carts at your local grocery store (or wal-mart...whatever) left scattered around the parking lot instead of being returned to the cart corrals.

If you answered yes to at least two of these questions then your neighbors and area SUCK!

I don't do dirt/trash...and I don't do lazy...

It's far better than a few entire states I've lived in! "Pride of ownership" is pretty high in SWMO...well...except the Seymour area!

I'm always amused at southerners and how they feel they deserve cart blanche in disparaging every other part of the country but, heaven forbid, someone should say something negative about the south...and...panties meet wad...

So let me make this not geographical.

1. Do most of your neighbors have everything they've bought in their adult life scattered around their yard?

2. Do you (if you need a receipt like I do when it's my company truck) find yourself going inside of the gas station most of the time because the lazy bastages can't seem to move their butts out from behind the counter to keep receipt paper in the pumps?

3. Are all the carts at your local grocery store (or wal-mart...whatever) left scattered around the parking lot instead of being returned to the cart corrals.
azy.
If you answered yes to at least two of these questions then your neighbors and area SUCK!

I don't do dirt/trash...and I don't do lazy...

Such hate, crazy. As for your ridiculous questions I can only answer yes to the receipt one, and it's not a big deal as I can check the transaction online. But the good out of your post is you won't be moving here.

It's far better than a few entire states I've lived in! "Pride of ownership" is pretty high in SWMO...well...except the Seymour area!
Hey, watch what you criticize! You might step on some toes! ;)

I was thinking of Niangua, but I guess it does have a lot in common with Seymour. A lot of those areas along 60 have really gone down and the small towns have suffered. Along 44 seems to be doing better.

Most of the southern transplants I’ve encountered will never go back, and there are quite a few around Springfield.

I blame Wiki! That’s how they spelled it at least. I was thinking of Quartz mountain. The Ouachita Mountains are the ones in the east.

I was thinking of Niangua, but I guess it does have a lot in common with Seymour.

Holy ****, you hit that nail on the head. I drove through Niangua for the first time a few weeks ago. What a freakin' white trash slum. I texted a buddy of mine who's a Marshfield boy with "jeeeezus...I just found the slum of Webster County. He responded with "just drove thru Niangua, eh?"

But that's only a couple hundred people in an entire county...and thankfully they're all in one spot.

Such hate, crazy.

No hate at all. I just know who I want to live next to and who I don't.

Last edited:
Oh, and admittedly, EVERYWHERE I'm familiar with is far more trashed out than it was 20ish years ago. Less factories...more meth...not a good combination.

Holy ****, you hit that nail on the head. I drove through Niangua for the first time a few weeks ago. What a freakin' white trash slum. I texted a buddy of mine who's a Marshfield boy with "jeeeezus...I just found the slum of Webster County. He responded with "just drove thru Niangua, eh?"

But that's only a couple hundred people in an entire county...and thankfully they're all in one spot.
It’s definitely the worst of the area, even Seymour talks bad about it. Like you said though, there’s not much there so it’s easy to avoid. Everywhere between 113 and SGF seems to be doing ok, and is better north of 44 than south. Wright county is beautiful but it’s one of the poorest in the state. Laclede seems to be a decent balance between affordable land and junky neighbors. I like north of Lebanon but don’t care for the town itself, mainly because of the traffic.

And, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against poverty. You don't have to have money to take care of your sh*t. There are quite a few trailers in the area but most are well kept. That's just fine! Conway isn't filled with the 1%ers by any stretch of the imagination but it's relatively well kept

There's exactly one "sh*t shack" about a mile down down the road from the property I bought. I'm trying to buy it just so I can raze it and not have to look at that sh*t as I come and go! ;) (seriously!)

We have Wichita Mountains too. You pompous arse. ;)

Ouchita is pronounced Washita. Wichita is pronounced like the city in Kansas.

Unlike how the Arkansas River is pronounced in Kansas!

I had a guy in "Arkansas City" want to fight me once because of how I pronounced it.

I let him jump up and hit me in the knee!

(Hmm, now that I think about it...it's close to Wichita...it may have been Levy! ;) )

Unlike how the Arkansas River is pronounced in Kansas!

I had a guy in "Arkansas City" want to fight me once because of how I pronounced it.

Funny. I had edited the "pompous arse" part out, but I see you caught it before the edit. lol.

The Wichitas are down around Lawton in the SW of the state. Ouachitas in the East. FYI

Funny. I had edited the "pompous arse" part out, but I see you caught it before the edit. lol.

The Wichitas are down around Lawton in the SW of the state. Ouachitas in the East. FYI

I know where the Ouachitas are...white water floated many rivers in those hills. But I didn't know about the Wichitas.

And you can call me a horse or an ass anytime you want!

Attachments

• 3DE37835-5D57-458A-8B44-9C1E4D368CCD.jpeg
    3DE37835-5D57-458A-8B44-9C1E4D368CCD.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 4
  • B54B63EE-0983-42F1-8A74-89FD6D5B1BA0.jpeg
    B54B63EE-0983-42F1-8A74-89FD6D5B1BA0.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3
My hangar, before and after about an hour and a half of work...
I hadn't been there in a week due to my schedule. I figure I will have to go back in two days, because it is still snowing, and predicted to continue snowing, until Monday.

Took me about three hours to break the ice up in front of mine.

Attachments

• File Feb 12, 6 11 26 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 12, 6 11 26 PM.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 21
  • File Feb 12, 6 11 52 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 12, 6 11 52 PM.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • File Feb 12, 6 12 22 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 12, 6 12 22 PM.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 21
  • File Feb 12, 6 12 06 PM.jpeg
    File Feb 12, 6 12 06 PM.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 21
I’ve always had end hangars, and at my old drone the plow always got lazy and the end and left a big semicircle of snow out front. Had a shovel for the snow and a spade for the ice. It was always a lot of work, but worth it to fly. Haven’t really had the new hangar through a full winter yet to compare, but I still have the spade and shovel.

There's exactly one "sh*t shack" about a mile down down the road from the property I bought. I'm trying to buy it just so I can raze it and not have to look at that sh*t as I come and go!
Some of those those folks are stubborn and won’t budge. I was trying something similar a few years ago but money doesn’t mean much to a lot of them. They inherit a little piece of land, get settled in, and they aren’t going anywhere. I hope you have more luck than I did. I eventually decided that I would have to be the one to go. Whenever the older generation leaves or moves into town, you have to worry about who’s going to move in.

I think the main reason many Okies dislike Texans as a whole, is the attitude that somehow everything is better in Texas. When in reality, it's just a larger version of what already exists in OK. Sans the gulf and resulting swampland, which I could personally care less about (but that's just me), the two states are undeniably similar which would stand to reason given their close proximity and orientation in the CONUS.

And it's a well deserved attitude. Because. Everything IS BETTER in Texas. We have our own independent electric grid, no State income tax, and in 45 minutes I can fly to the coast and play dirty old man on the beach. I too used to travel extensively for work, and have worked projects for a week or two at a time in small municipals and school districts all throughout the state of Oklahoma. I've experienced the grand circle air tour around the Tulsa area, and made the weekly visits to the Indian casinos. I've also spent plenty of time and my money trying to get somewhere on your wore out old toll roads. I have a choice if I want to use a toll road, and the one near Austin has a 85 mph speed limit. Most everywhere else, away from the cities, it's 75, and from Kerrville to El Paso it's 80. And there's no DPS man sitting around every corner waiting to write you a ticket like there is in red dirt country. It's a good thing to be proud of where you live, and if you want to pick and choose, yea, sure Oklahoma has a lot of things the same as Texas, but a Texas it aint. Not even close.

Back