Remind me again why I still live in Michigan...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
My hangar, before and after about an hour and a half of work...
I hadn't been there in a week due to my schedule. I figure I will have to go back in two days, because it is still snowing, and predicted to continue snowing, until Monday.

upload_2018-2-10_17-50-7.png

upload_2018-2-10_17-50-39.png

Well done. Waiting for ice and snow mix tonight. Always glad when it waits for the weekend :(

I used to ask myself the same question. Move south and you don't have to ask it anymore!

Snowbird, for the first time in my life I am seriously considering it.

I spent 30 min today doing the exact same thing. They do a good job of getting the ramp clean and all I have to do is the 2-3 feet in front of the door. Looks like ya'll had a little bit more than us on this side of the pond. Another 2-4 tonight. Sure miss Georgia

I spent 30 min today doing the exact same thing. They do a good job of getting the ramp clean and all I have to do is the 2-3 feet in front of the door. Looks like ya'll had a little bit more than us on this side of the pond. Another 2-4 tonight. Sure miss Georgia
This was three snowfalls over a week's time. Maybe 10 inches total. It looks like more because the snow blower piles it up on each side. They are now saying 6" tonight. Ugh. It makes taxiing my low wing difficult if not impossible, due to the high snowbanks on the taxi ways.

I used to ask myself the same question. Move south and you don't have to ask it anymore!
I tried tonight to convince my girlfriend to move south...but she has younger kids, and their dad is here in the area too, so I don't blame her for wanting to stay.

That’s about 5, 6 Years Worth of snow for Texas. So, I have NO idea why you’re still in Michigan...

Im In Florida and have been meeting quite a few people from Michigan ,both pilots and non pilots lately. Turn out the lights and come on down.

Because the south is miserably hot and you can only take off so much clothing before getting cited for indecent exposure.:happydance:

As long as I can find a job in New England I’ll be living in this area. :fcross:

Im In Florida and have been meeting quite a few people from Michigan ,both pilots and non pilots lately. Turn out the lights and come on down.
No, no, no - y’all don’t wanna do that! Man, the skeeters and no-see-ums ‘ll eat ya up. Then the alligators and snakes ‘ll get ya. Then y’hear banjo music and y’all know what happens then.
Y’all best jest keep y’selfs up north where ya belong.
Y’all leave the South to us Southners.

Meanwhile, the California Central Coast has had record highs (mid-80s) for 10 of the last 13 days.

The area in front of our hangar gets cleaned through the airport management... :thumbsup: The only snow we have to take care of is the 10 inches that is piled up directly in front of the hangar. We do not complain. :)

I just wait a day or so....Around here, the snow's gone by day 2.Too cold, anyway.

Shot 2 approaches in low ifr this morning. By noon it was 77 and sunny so i cleaned the cars and did some other chores. Shoveling was not one of them. In all seriousness Michigan has some of the most gorgeous women. Otherwise get the hell out of there!!!

The area in front of our hangar gets cleaned through the airport management... :thumbsup: The only snow we have to take care of is the 10 inches that is piled up directly in front of the hangar. We do not complain. :)
Apparently that's county policy (I assume you're based at one of the Oakland County airports). That's exactly the way it was at KVLL when I was based there. The only problem was that one of their plow guys would often bury the freshly shoveled space in front of my hangar with a foot or more sometimes. Then snow melt would find its way inside the bifold door and refreeze, making for a treacherous mess at the edge of the hangar floor. I grew quite fond of urea, since though it's not quite as effective as sodium chloride, it does work.

Cheer up Tim. April is not that far away and then Michigan will again turn green and beautiful. Although now that I'm getting older I don't appreciate winter like I did in my twenties and thirties. I used to think nothing of taking our Norwegian Elkhound for a long walk on the lake in the dead of winter. I just bundled up for that.

OTOH, Spring, Summer, and Fall are something to behold. The changing of seasons is always interesting. Granted that Summer was the most fun. For several years I owned a catamaran that was a hoot to sail but downgraded to a Sunfish so I could compete in the fleet that was on my home lake.

I checked out Texas in the eighties but found the Summers too hot. The best entertainment there was watching Texas natives trying to drive on snow and ice. When I moved back to Michigan it was Winter and I had a Texas license plate on my Oldsmobile. I was amazed at how much room other motorists gave me.

One other thought; living in the middle of the biggest fresh water pond in the world has benefits. Unlike those who live in California we never have to worry where our next drink of water is coming from.

If you get tired of Michigan’s winters, load up your snowblower in the back of your truck and head south until people start asking you what that thing is.

Remind me again why I still live in Michigan...

Well, one good reason is because the farther south you go the more likely you are to drive thru entire areas like this when you're out on a country drive/ride on a nice weekend day:
IMG_20180211_091731546.jpg
I'll take the white over the white trash, thanks.

. . . In all seriousness Michigan has some of the most gorgeous women. Otherwise get the hell out of there!!!
How can you tell they’re beautiful underneath 3 layers of clothing, a puffy winter coat, and a ski mask? I feel like that’s a game of Russian roulette!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of not so good neighborhoods all across the US. That photo certainly wouldn't keep me up north!

I love living in Michigan. At least we have real winter with real snow... :D

Well, one good reason is because the farther south you go the more likely you are to drive thru entire areas like this when you're out on a country drive/ride on a nice weekend day:
View attachment 60051
Rather than assume that picture sums up the south, can @Velocity173 post the view from his place again?

I love living in Michigan. At least we have real winter with real snow... :D
I used to think so too... until I moved to Vermont. ;)

Though, truth be told, there are parts of Michigan that DO have "real winter with real snow". (Gaylord area... all of the UP...) But except for that one monster winter when we had 95 inches (or was it over 100?), from where I sit now Detroit winters seem downright mild by comparison.

Rather than assume that picture sums up the south, can @Velocity173 post the view from his place again?

Well, it is a private resort community but yeah, there are good and bad areas in every part of the country. I went with north GA because overall, it’s hard to beat living in the GA, NC, TN border area. I’ve actually always wanted to live up in Montana but the reality of long winters (no flying) and high cost of living, make it unpractical.

Threw in a deer pic for ya since I believe you’re a hunter. Usually the size of dogs down here but this one was decent. We’ve got them all over in my neighborhood because people feed them and no hunting is allowed.

B5128E88-E267-417B-9F38-FA55C2EA7C44.jpeg CC8ACF75-941D-4DA1-84D7-D4D868E67780.jpeg 702B12EA-6D6A-47F5-A8CE-7800CEBC410C.jpeg

Well, it is a private resort community but yeah, there are good and bad areas in every part of the country. I went with north GA because overall, it’s hard to beat living in the GA, NC, TN border area. I’ve actually always wanted to live up in Montana but the reality of long winters (no flying) and high cost of living, make it unpractical.

Threw in a deer pic for ya since I believe you’re a hunter. Usually the size of dogs down here but this one was decent. We’ve got them all over in my neighborhood because people feed them and no hunting is allowed.

View attachment 60058 View attachment 60059 View attachment 60060
Beautiful! That's the south I know having grown up there. Been to most the states and several countries. The GA, NC, TN border area is my favorite of everywhere I've been. People, weather, cost of living, etc.

That buck would be good eating there! Yes, I'm a big hunter. There are some really nice deer in Ga but as you said, most the time they are smaller. The deer up here are corn and been fed and get huge.

Thanks for the better depiction of the south.

Beautiful! That's the south I know having grown up there. Been to most the states and several countries. The GA, NC, TN border area is my favorite of everywhere I've been. People, weather, cost of living, etc.

That buck would be good eating there! Yes, I'm a big hunter. There are some really nice deer in Ga but as you said, most the time they are smaller. The deer up here are corn and been fed and get huge.

Thanks for the better depiction of the south.

Agree. We lived just outside Blue Ridge for awhile (2300') and it was beautiful living there. Taking a drive anywhere in that area is so scenic, and the small towns along the way always seemed to have something unique worth stopping for.

I lived in the south for years so I really don't have to assume anything. I lived and worked all across TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL and others.

Most recently I had a "project" on St. Simons Island. Spent a couple of years, on and off, there. It was a great place and I'm sure Velocity has a great place also. There are many great places across the south but they're the exception, not the rule.

St. Simons, for example, is a microcosm that's not representative of that entire area (as is Jekyll). I met many people on the island that said "I never go across that bridge." And they weren't kidding. They never did.

I've also lived and worked all across most of the rest of the country so, yeah, I know there's good and bad everywhere, it's just that some places have far more bad than others.

View attachment 60051

While I’ve seen more than a few of those here in the south, I also saw it in Indiana where I’m from originally and elsewhere in the Midwest. White trash is not limited geographically. I doubt if I’ll ever return to the north for anything other than a short visit, preferably to OSH. I love the more moderate climate and the hills of the Carolinas.

Back