"Remain this frequency, taxi to park"

I believe you are generally talking about GA airplanes, but...
Not as much lately (perhaps controllers got the memo?), but in the past it seemed we always received our clearing & initial taxi instructions during rollout... That can be a very busy time for us. Reversers, several callouts, transfer of control, and so forth.
There have been numerous times in the past where we had to have the instructions restated, even if the instructions were simple.
Yeah, this. Maybe the controllers need to get the memo.

Sounds like a subject for discussion when the controllers do fam rides.

Sounds like a subject for discussion when the controllers do fam rides.
If only the FAA didn't make it so difficult for them to do FAM rides!

I get it, they don't want to create the appearance of impropriety by controllers doing FAM rides in conjunction with personal travel. I think FAM rides for personal travel should be encouraged as it'll get more controllers in the jumpseats which benefits us all in efficiency and safety.

In the past six years I've had only one controller on a FAM ride and she was going from DCA to ORD to interview for the ORD Tower Supervisor's job so it wasn't even a front-line controller who works traffic regularly.

Controllers are trained not to talk to aircraft while their nose gear is still in the air. I only talk to them on roll out and when they've slowed enough to exit the runway.
Thank you!

Unfortunately, some tower controllers fail to respect the high-speed portion of roll-out as a critical phase (“landing”). This is not the time to transmit runway exit and taxi instructions.
For single-pilot operations, especially in challenging crosswind conditions, pilot focus needs to remain on directional control/ deceleration.
Unless there is an emergency, ATC must not be a distraction during any critical phase of flight.

Obviously you get it Tim, and thank you.
But why is it that some tower controllers, don’t?

I don't know, but you might try varying when you give the instruction. You might be giving when they are busy with other tasks associated with the landing and clearing of the runway which increases the chance of them missing part of your instructions. IOW, you might be giving it to them when they aren't yet ready to hear their taxi instructions. Try mixing it up a little bit and see if it makes any difference.
Exactly. I must have missed your post, as I said something similar later in the thread.

Sorry. The instructions are not out of the ordinary or rare to hear. If someone is task saturated then any instruction will be hard to process. Receiving these instructions while clearing a runway is about as easy as it gets.
I had to read through this whole thread. After reading posts saying the instruction was confusing, I was sure it must have drifted to a different instruction than the simple one in the title. Guess not..

OTOH, it's also understandable that some pilots are very uncomfortable at towered airports or inexperienced enough that even something as simple as clearing the runway in a piston pusher is a saturation level chore. Or maybe they're just following some habitual mental script.

Either way, I don't think controllers should be ranting about it any more than a pilot should rant about controllers following their mental script asking for ATIS confirmation 8 seconds after the pilot gives it.

Much Ado about Nothing.

I had to read through this whole thread. After reading posts saying the instruction was confusing, I was sure it must have drifted to a different instruction than the simple one in the title. Guess not..

OTOH, it's also understandable that some pilots are very uncomfortable at towered airports or inexperienced enough that even something as simple as clearing the runway in a piston pusher is a saturation level chore. Or maybe they're just following some habitual mental script.

Either way, I don't think controllers should be ranting about it any more than a pilot should rant about controllers following their mental script asking for ATIS confirmation 8 seconds after the pilot gives it.

Much Ado about Nothing.
The dude just wanted to vent. Let him. That’s my point. And since it turned into a dog pile on the controller I pointed out the situation should be easily handled by any pilot. Whatever. To each their own.

The dude just wanted to vent. Let him. That’s my point. And since it turned into a dog pile on the controller I pointed out the situation should be easily handled by any pilot. Whatever. To each their own.
I definitely agree with that. About as simple a tower instruction as "turn left next taxiway" :eek::eek::eek:

I sometimes it's an offshoot of a tendency to think that there is a special aviation meaning in everything so the plain English meaning of the words goes right through us.

Technically, anything is "in the book" because the final instruction is "transmit in an easy to understand manner." In other words, if they don't get it with standard phraseology, just talk normally and see if that works. It doesn't.

One day I heard the Tower controller tell a student pilot to “Taxi into position and hold”. The pilot read it back perfectly, but didn’t move. The tower says it again with the same results. Then controller then say “Go out on the runway and step on your brakes”. Worked. :)

Controllers are trained not to talk to aircraft while their nose gear is still in the air. I only talk to them on roll out and when they've slowed enough to exit the runway. They aren't that busy, they just don't pay attention and I'm talking about a C-130 where 5 people hear me at once.

Probably three of them running “required” verbal checklists and briefs at the same time.

I had a DPE scold me for saying ANYTHING when ATC was talking when simulating teaching a pattern approach to landing.

“Shut UP. Your student isn’t hearing you anyway with two voices in their headset.”

But I see it in multiple crew videos all the time. Three people including ATC talking simultaneously. Some handle it well, others literally go deaf and don’t copy any of it in their heads. Sensory overload.

I had a DPE scold me for saying ANYTHING when ATC was talking when simulating teaching a pattern approach to landing.

“Shut UP. Your student isn’t hearing you anyway with two voices in their headset.”
When the tower is busy, talking 90 miles a minute, you would never get anything said or done.

When the tower is busy, talking 90 miles a minute, you would never get anything said or done.

I tried to make that point. He literally said he didn’t care. Fly to a quieter airport or learn to do it between transmissions. LOL.

Point taken — it’s a bad learning environment. But man it’s rough at APA. Similar problem at other big training airports. :)

I dunno ...

I'm based at a towered airport (been there 5 years) and I don't ever recall hearing "remain this frequency, taxi to park". I always get movement instructions first (either runway exit instructions or taxi instructions) then who to talk to second. If I am to stay on tower, I reply with taxi instructions and end with "stay with you." If not, reply with instructions and "contact ground." [Sometimes I don't get any instructions at all on rollout so I exit the runway at the closest & safest taxiway, taxi past the hold line, stop, contact ground and wait for instructions.]

My first reaction to the OP was "huh, they said what?" Seems a bit awkward and out of order. Could be just me but I can see why pilots could get confused.

I dunno ...

I'm based at a towered airport (been there 5 years) and I don't ever recall hearing "remain this frequency, taxi to park". I always get movement instructions first (either runway exit instructions or taxi instructions) then who to talk to second. If I am to stay on tower, I reply with taxi instructions and end with "stay with you." If not, reply with instructions and "contact ground." [Sometimes I don't get any instructions at all on rollout so I exit the runway at the closest & safest taxiway, taxi past the hold line, stop, contact ground and wait for instructions.]

My first reaction to the OP was "huh, they said what?" Seems a bit awkward and out of order. Could be just me but I can see why pilots could get confused.
That’s not what the OP is saying (I assume). He just said some pilots are confused by “remain with me, taxi to parking.” Taxi instructions were not included in the confused part. The transmission would be “taxi to parking via A, B, remain with me.” The taxi instructions were omitted because that is irrelevant to why pilots are getting confused

Back